[REMOVE ADS]




Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    43,221
    Rep Power
    569

    Parliament-Funkadelic Performs "Give Up The Funk [[Tear The Roof Off The Sucker)"

    Classic Clip!



  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    4,369
    Rep Power
    180
    Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction.
    May 6th, 1997. Cleveland, Ohio.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    24,150
    Rep Power
    399
    Thanks, Marv. I don't think any artist had a better decade than P-Funk did in the '70s. Their hits sound as good today as they did - wait for it - 40 years ago.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    43,221
    Rep Power
    569
    Quote Originally Posted by timmyfunk View Post
    Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction.
    May 6th, 1997. Cleveland, Ohio.
    It was awesome, wasn't it?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    43,221
    Rep Power
    569
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    Thanks, Marv. I don't think any artist had a better decade than P-Funk did in the '70s. Their hits sound as good today as they did - wait for it - 40 years ago.
    You are welcome Jerry. P-Funk ruled in the 70s. I saw them in concert twice in those days and they were excellent.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    4,369
    Rep Power
    180
    They rule period. Thanks for reminding everyone.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    43,221
    Rep Power
    569
    Quote Originally Posted by timmyfunk View Post
    They rule period. Thanks for reminding everyone.
    You are welcome. Thinking back now, I love how George Clinton and P-Funk never compromised like the Commodores for instance.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    24,150
    Rep Power
    399
    The Commodores had a dominant artist who was interested in things that took the band away from their fan base. Before he left, they were really just his backing band [[in my opinion) and that's too bad. They were at their best as an R&B and soul outfit, but they moved into country and gospel. By the time they became a pop band, they were pretty flavorless and the only distinguishing sound was Lionel Richie's voice. When he left, taking that and his songwriting with him, he also took the pop fans that they had accumulated. They weren't strong enough to win back the R&B fans that they had lost.

    George Clinton is the last of the great band leaders. I personally consider him with my other favorites like Duke Ellington, Count Basie, and Benny Goodman. He had a huge impact on the music that I choose to listen to up until this day. And yes, his music was uncompromising and his spirit is indomitable.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2021
    Posts
    24
    Rep Power
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    The Commodores had a dominant artist who was interested in things that took the band away from their fan base. Before he left, they were really just his backing band [[in my opinion) and that's too bad. They were at their best as an R&B and soul outfit, but they moved into country and gospel. By the time they became a pop band, they were pretty flavorless and the only distinguishing sound was Lionel Richie's voice. When he left, taking that and his songwriting with him, he also took the pop fans that they had accumulated. They weren't strong enough to win back the R&B fans that they had lost.

    George Clinton is the last of the great band leaders. I personally consider him with my other favorites like Duke Ellington, Count Basie, and Benny Goodman. He had a huge impact on the music that I choose to listen to up until this day. And yes, his music was uncompromising and his spirit is indomitable.
    I would definitely put George in that same category. And Bootsy Collins is also an underrated producer.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

[REMOVE ADS]

Ralph Terrana
MODERATOR

Welcome to Soulful Detroit! Kindly Consider Turning Off Your Ad BlockingX
Soulful Detroit is a free service that relies on revenue from ad display [regrettably] and donations. We notice that you are using an ad-blocking program that prevents us from earning revenue during your visit.
Ads are REMOVED for Members who donate to Soulful Detroit. [You must be logged in for ads to disappear]
DONATE HERE »
And have Ads removed.