[REMOVE ADS]

"You Got To Pay The Price" by Gloria Taylor

I recently acquired a CD entitled "My Goodness, Yes! Soul Treasures from the Silver Fox Label." My primary reason for wanting this collection was because it contained four Bettye Lavette tracks. However, the cut that keeps me hitting the repeat button is a catchy number I've come to love called "You Got To Pay the Price" by an artist named Gloria Taylor. According to the liner notes, this record went to #9 R&B and #49 pop in 1969. Because I spent most of that year in Germany [[courtesy of Uncle Sam), I missed hearing this record at the time it was popular, and it certainly doesn't show up on many soul anthologies. There are, however, several uploads of this record on You Tube, apparently because it's become popular with Northern Soul fans.

Does anyone know anything more about this record? Was it made in Detroit? It sure sounds like it.

It's the vocal version of the track first released as an instrumental by its writer [[and probably producer) guitarist Al Kent, a big player at several Detroit labels in the Sixties, who later did some work at Motown [[some of the Jimmy and David Ruffin duet tracks, for instance).

I have the 1969 45 on Silver Fox, B-side is "Loving You And Being Loved By You"

It was produced by Whiz Whisenhunt for Shelby Singleton Productions.

It doesn't sound like a vocal dubbed over Al Kent's 1967 instrumental on Ric-Tic.

I have to agree with Adrian, in that the GLORIA TAYLOR version is a complete re-recording, rather than with the vocals put over the original Ric-Tic instrumental backing track.

Incidentally, the original 45 on Ric-Tic doesn't credit the recording to AL KENT at all, though he does get a mention as a songwriter, it merely says INSTRUMENTAL .. it was the other side "Where Do I Go From Here" that was credited to AL KENT.

I believe that in reality the guitarist on the Ric-Tic instrumental version was DENNIS COFFEE.

This is the original Ric-Tic instrumental ..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zG5zm4gaTGA

There was also a version done by THE SUPREMES .. with JEAN TERRELL on lead .. that eventually found a release on volume 2 in the cellarful of Motown series. The SUPREMES version was produced by AL KENT.

This is the SUPREMES version ..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pA3RhK-fRc8

Roger.

I believe that the Gloria Taylor version [[a remake of the Ed Wingate produced instrumental on Ric Tic) was recorded in Nashville. That is interesting, because Whiz Whisenhunt did record some Gloria Taylor cuts in Detroit, which appeared on King Soul [[with Herman Griffin) and on Mercury Records.

I wasn't meaning to say that the vocal version was recorded over Al's track. The only version of his track I had was on Backtrack 6 [[which also included Where Do I Go From Here), the collection of Ric Tic etc cuts put out on the UK Track label around 1970. It's credited to Al Kent there. I never knew the Ric Tic single wasn't actually credited to anyone

Soulwally .. I still have that Backtrack 6 L.P. even occasionally play it as I don't have all the tracks on C.D .. yet!!

I remember someone I used to work with around 1971/72 lent me the imported Ric-Tic 45 [[ before I got my hands on Backtrack 6 ) and I thought it was a bit strange that it was just credited to "INSTRUMENTAL".

It seems that the 1967 U.K. release on Track was actually credited to AL KENT .. as you can see from this YouTube clip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ve4j888W1-k

Roger

Further to your mention of being loaned the Ric Tic single, Roger, see the third scan with this youtube clip...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2vfh...eature=related