[REMOVE ADS]

Supremes Sing Disney Classics Unaccounted For Song

Since one of our fellow forum members posted an April Fool's Joke about the Supremes/Disney Classics. I have a question.

There were 12 songs to be included in this album as per Mary Wilson's 50th Anniversary book. There were 3 of these released on their Motown 25th Anniversary collection and another 6 of these released on the Never Before Released Masters collection.

There were 2 that have never been released [[and possibly three). The two that I know were never released were Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah and Chim-Chim
    Cher-ee.

There was also one that was to be included in the album released entitled A Spoonful of Sugar.

I can find no proof that this was ever released. Can anyone confirm this fact or prove that it was released via some other issuance.

Thank you. This is no April Fool joke.

It does appear that Spoonful remains unreleased. This very useful link actually lists 14 songs for that album...http://www.themusic-world.com/artist...ey_classics://

"A Spoonful Of Sugar" along with "Chim Chim Cher-ee" and "Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah" are the last three songs from the Disney sessions that remain unreleased.

"I'm Late" is an incompleted track without a lead vocal. There is also a rumor "Bippity Boppity Boo" was recorded, but I'm not even sure if an instrumental track was even cut.

i have bootleg copies of Zip a Dee Doo Dah and Spoonful. i'm never heard Chim Chim yet. not sure that one ever made it out into fan bootlegs

In the "Lost & Found" set, there are notes that say that "Bippity" WAS recorded, but incomplete - on what level, I don't know. "Zip" and "Spoonful" definitely exist as I have bootleg copies of them.

I'm still baffled this set has never been given a release. They release bits of the set over the last thirty years but never the whole thing...I would love to see a full, remastered release with enhance background vocals [[you can hardly hear Mary, Flo, and Cindy on some of the tracks).

I think the whole Disney trademark has a lot to do with it

Quote Originally Posted by paul_nixon View Post
    I think the whole Disney trademark has a lot to do with it
    I believe it does. That's why it hasn't been released on its own. If it was part of a specialty collection then I don't think Universal has to pay.

It seems that "Chim" has vocals, "I'm Late" does not. Can't find any trace of "Bippity", but others have looked further and harder than I have ... might have been misfiled under "Zip-A-Dee" as the titles sound similar.

Can you tell me the names of the bootleg copies of Zip a Dee DooDah and Spoonful collections that include these two songs? I am interested in obtaining them. Thanks.

I wonder if anyone has asked Mr. Gordy as why some of these Supremes albums, like this one, that were shelved and never came out. It sure would be interesting to find out!

Gordy was meticulous when it came to the Sups. he wanted them [[and therefore Diana) to have as broad of appeal as possible. So they recorded all sorts of genres of music. And to some degree, rightfully so. According to D and M's books and other sources, the Sups seems to genuinely love singing all of this music and easily adapted to it. they were singing standards even in their very early shows. Country Western, MOR, classic girl groups like Andrews Sisters, broadway show tunes, etc. Several of the Marvelettes have stated that they never really aspired to the dinner club set and frankly preferred the black theaters like the Apollo. and the Sups were, at least to start with, a cohesive singing group with a shared goal. Martha and the Vandellas were really more about lead and backup. true DRATS became that eventually but not initially.

So they recorded tons and tons. then Gordy and team would see what worked best and what was the timing.

Country Western
    British Invasion
    Sam Cooke
    general standards & MOR [[unreleased There's A Place for Us & released I Hear A Symphony)
    Classic 50s girl groups [[unreleased Tribute to the Girls)
    international songs and favorites [[unreleased Around the World with the Supremes)
    Rogers & Hart song book
    Showtunes [[unreleased Supremes and the Motown Sounds from Broadway to Hollywood)
    Disney [[unreleased)
    Full broadway show
    gospel/religious [[He, Every Time I Feel The Spirit, What A Friend We Have)

Plus look at what they were doing on TV
    Irving Berlin
    Fats Waller
    more and more Broadway
    40's era girls with Andrews sisters [[sammy davis special)
    pre-WWII songs with Old Songs medley [[Tennessee Ernie Ford special)
    Bing Crosby
    Fred and Ginger [[Diana solo with Sammy David on Hollywood Palace)
    Ethel Waters [[Diana solo on Hollywood Palace)
    Lucy and Dinah [[Diana solo)
    Gershwin [[Porgy & Bess medley)
    Cole Porter [[I Get A Kick out of You medley on Sullivan)

basically every time you turned on the tv or played their music, gordy wanted you to think "good god - tackling another mountain"
    Last edited by sup_fan; 09-07-2016 at 07:10 PM.

There were never going to be enough weeks in the year to release everything the Supremes recorded even if they'd wanted to.