[REMOVE ADS]

Page 7 of 26 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 17 ... LastLast
    Having the live version of Something On My Mind [[live at the Grove) as bonus track on Diana Ross 1970 was such a treat. Would love to have the full "Let's See if Diana Ross Can Do It On Her Own" concert released. Also her 1973/74 Aretha inspired live version of Somewhere is quite amazing....

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    From what i recall i think she also cut "santa baby" "rudolph the rednosed reindeer" "what child is this" "joy to the world" and "it came upon a midnight clear". The original album contains 14 songs if memory serves, so on 2nd thoughts she must have cut 19 tracks.
    First of all, let me say, having been a Supremes/Diana Ross fan since Stop! In The Name Of Love in 1965, I, too am enjoying this thread. It should be re-appropriately titled What would be Your choice for best single choices from all of Diana's solo albums.

Now, i found it interesting here what she recorded on the '90's Xmas album that didn't make it. In Particular "Santa Baby" and this is because George Solomon and Andy Skurow pointed out on NightFlight that a music track for "Santa Baby" was recorded in 1965 for the Supremes Merry Christmas and never got Diana's vocals. That makes twice that we didn't get it and her voice is so perfect for it. Oh, well, we can only hope in the future that this may happen!

@Bluerock

Rapidly running out of questions but just a word to say how enjoyable it is reading all your anecdotes and sharing your experiences with us. Hopefully there are a lot more of those in the vaults!

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to answer all the queries - it is greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by florence View Post
    @Bluerock

Rapidly running out of questions but just a word to say how enjoyable it is reading all your anecdotes and sharing your experiences with us. Hopefully there are a lot more of those in the vaults!

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to answer all the queries - it is greatly appreciated.
    My pleasure Florence. Good to know people are still interested!

Quote Originally Posted by greg jones View Post
    First of all, let me say, having been a Supremes/Diana Ross fan since Stop! In The Name Of Love in 1965, I, too am enjoying this thread. It should be re-appropriately titled What would be Your choice for best single choices from all of Diana's solo albums.

Now, i found it interesting here what she recorded on the '90's Xmas album that didn't make it. In Particular "Santa Baby" and this is because George Solomon and Andy Skurow pointed out on NightFlight that a music track for "Santa Baby" was recorded in 1965 for the Supremes Merry Christmas and never got Diana's vocals. That makes twice that we didn't get it and her voice is so perfect for it. Oh, well, we can only hope in the future that this may happen!
    An expanded version would be nice but as I never tire of saying it is entirely up to Diana if these songs ever see the light of day.

I have never been quite sure what happened as regards "Love Is All That Matters" being intended for single release as a duet with Brandy. Was it the fact that both ladies recorded for different record companies that scuppered it's release?. Was Brandys mother involved in some way?. They sounded great together when they sang it live on Oprah. It's a great shame as it could have done very well.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    I have never been quite sure what happened as regards "Love Is All That Matters" being intended for single release as a duet with Brandy. Was it the fact that both ladies recorded for different record companies that scuppered it's release?. Was Brandys mother involved in some way?. They sounded great together when they sang it live on Oprah. It's a great shame as it could have done very well.
    I always figured it was record company squabbling that did in the release of the Diana/Brandy duet. I was surprised that there didn't seem to be a tie-in soundtrack of sorts when the movie aired. There was Diana's just released cd but I don't recall it being labelled as "Contains music from the TV movie."
    Last edited by thommg; 05-09-2016 at 01:44 PM.

Brandy's mother interfered no end on this project finding fault with anything and everything from the colour of the toilet paper in the dressing rooms to the temperature in the studio, Suffice to say any chance of coming to an agreement about releasing "liatm" came to a shuddering halt!! That is all i will say.

I thought EVERYDAY IS... was a good album.

what are your favorite 10 ross albums??
    Diana ross 1970
    Diana ross 76
    baby its me
    boss
    Diana
    blue
    the force behind the power
    take me higher
    everyday is a new day
    surrender

[QUOTE=daviddh;333347]I thought EVERYDAY IS... was a good album.[/QUOTE
    Diana herself thought it to be as good an album but not as strong as the previous two, and I would have to agree., but "liatm" could have been a hit single if promoted properly which of course it wouldn't have been in the hands of Motown USA.

agreed Bluebrock, Motown usa didn't seem to care at all about Diana. shame.
    there also seem to be a couple of great out takes from Take Me higher, that I surprised didn't get used...Soul Kiss, Too Many Nights,

Quote Originally Posted by daviddh View Post
    agreed Bluebrock, Motown usa didn't seem to care at all about Diana. shame.
    there also seem to be a couple of great out takes from Take Me higher, that I surprised didn't get used...Soul Kiss, Too Many Nights,
    There are more than that david. At least half a dozen more tracks were laid down and from what i can recall were of the same high standard as the tracks on the original album. With Diana being proud of this album i reckon the chances of an expanded version are quite high. Similarly there are unreleased songs from "tfbtp" sessions which will hopefully see the light of day sometime in the not too distant future.

what are your favorite 10 ross albums??
    Diana ross 1970
    Diana ross 76
    baby its me
    boss
    Diana
    blue
    the force behind the power
    take me higher
    everyday is a new day
    surrender
    Personally speaking i would have to have "red hot rhythm and blues" and "eaten alive" in there to the exclusion of "blue" and "everyday is a new day" but generally speaking your choices are quite similar to Diana's personal favourites.

Bluebrock, I remember a song called Happy to See You Again. I think it was a Brenda Russell song or produced by her. I have it somewhere as I think it was a b side . beautiful song.

I also have a song called You and I from the Force .it was also a b side.
    but the fate of Universal music just seems to be unfit right now. I am imagining somewhere the powers that be may not be Ross fans .just not sure what to make of what's happening with the Motown catalogue. I know GO GO and Ross 78 have been on the table for over a year now but still find themselves in limbo.
    with the fate of the two above albums still "on hold" I am not sure I have the faith to see much more music coming our way unless some tragic event happens. but it would be nice treat to have the addition of these albums as deluxe or expanded editions.
    I forgot to mention Touch Me In the Morning as a favorite but not sure what album I would exchange it with...maybe Surrender. I agree with the two RCA choices Red hot and Eaten Alive as I think both are her best from that era. I wish they had done better for her but I also feel if let's say Eaten Alive was her RCA debut instead of WDFFIL......in 1981. but I suppose I am rewriting history, but ialso feel the same way about Red Hot, if it were released in 1983 instead. it seemed a bit stale by 1987. but still a great album
    thank you bluebrock, I enjoy your reading your thoughts and memories and appreciate your feeback.
    Last edited by daviddh; 05-10-2016 at 05:38 PM.

Bluebrock, I remember a song called Happy to See You Again. I think it was a Brenda Russell song or produced by her. I have it somewhere as I think it was a b side . beautiful song.

I also have a song called You and I from the Force .it was also a b side.
    "I'm so happy to see you again" was released as the B-side to Gone [[I'm Gone is actually the title of the single) in the UK only on the cassette single [[yes, they existed) and in Belgium on the CD single. It's a lovely song, though not as good as the other Brenda Russell penned song "Let Somebody Know".

"You and I" was actually on European edition of Force Behind The Power.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    Brandy's mother interfered no end on this project finding fault with anything and everything from the colour of the toilet paper in the dressing rooms to the temperature in the studio, Suffice to say any chance of coming to an agreement about releasing "liatm" came to a shuddering halt!! That is all i will say.
    Did her mother not realise her daughter was working with a legend!!!.
    Were there plans to release it as a single in the UK as well?
    To be honest i have always found Brandy a tad annoying. Diana seems to adopt the role of patient parent when they performed the song on Oprah in 99.
    Regarding Diana's best albums, i think our musical tastes change over the years. I know mine have. What was once our favourite album back when has now changed to another.
    My top 5 in 2016 [[as in ones i play the most) are,
    1. Every Day Is A New Day
    2. Workin' Overtime
    3. Force Behind The Power
    4. Stolen Moments
    5. Take Me Higher

p.s There just has to be some other WO fans out there!!!!!!!!!!!

Did her mother not realise her daughter was working with a legend!!!.
    Were there plans to release it as a single in the UK as well?
    To be honest i have always found Brandy a tad annoying. Diana seems to adopt the role of patient parent when they performed the song on Oprah in 99.
    Regarding Diana's best albums, i think our musical tastes change over the years. I know mine have. What was once our favourite album back when has now changed to another.
    My top 5 in 2016 [[as in ones i play the most) are,
    1. Every Day Is A New Day
    2. Workin' Overtime
    3. Force Behind The Power
    4. Stolen Moments
    5. Take Me Higher

p.s There just has to be some other WO fans out there!!!!!!!!!!!
    I'm feeling WO, Ollie9! Although the album's production values are a tad dated, it was a strong, funky new jack swing offering, however ill-advised.

As usual my list woiuld be greatly different from most Diana fans!

01 The Force Behind The Power
    02 Swept Away
    03 Diana Ross 1976
    04 To Love Again
    05 Silk Electric
    06 Workin' Overtime
    07 Touch Me In The Morning
    08 Ross 1978
    09 Surrender*
    10 Eaten Alive

Honourable mention: A Very Special Season

* released in UK as I'm Still Waiting with that track added

The thought of unreleased tracks from TFBTP sessions seeing the light of day is mind-boggling although maybe they've used the best cuts.

My top 10 Diana solo albums would be the following, although sometimes it changes slightly.

DIANA ROSS [[1970)
    SURRENDER
    LADY SINGS THE BLUES
    TOUCH ME IN THE MORNING
    DIANA ROSS [[1976)
    BABY IT'S ME
    THE BOSS
    TO LOVE AGAIN
    THE FORCE BEHIND THE POWER
    TAKE ME HIGHER

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    I'm feeling WO, Ollie9! Although the album's production values are a tad dated, it was a strong, funky new jack swing offering, however ill-advised.
    I am so pleased to hear this sansradio. On a good deal of Diana's RCA output the material is weak and it sounds like she is coasting. At least on WO she sings with passion, if a little to high in places. For me this is a feel good album and i always play it when i need a boost. "This House" and "Stand Together" are both classy ballads. "Paradise" is fun and "Say We Can" has become my mantra over the years.

I am so pleased to hear this sansradio. On a good deal of Diana's RCA output the material is weak and it sounds like she is coasting. At least on WO she sings with passion, if a little to high in places. For me this is a feel good album and i always play it when i need a boost. "This House" and "Stand Together" are both classy ballads. "Paradise" is fun and "Say We Can" has become my mantra over the years.
    My anthem is "Keep On [[Dancin')". Makes me wanna get a hightop fade and some Hammer pants.

Diana's vocals do sound a bit sped up to my ears, kind of a helium effect. Doesn't hurt the music, though.

Good for you Ollie!! It is good that you can appreciate his album. I still maintain it is an absolute stinker of an album but your opinion is every bit as valid as mine ad this is the kind of thing that makes this forum such a joy at times. Fellow fans debating issues in a polite and dignified manner. We can disagree on things but are willing to treat others with the respect that they deserve when they have differing opinions. Great stuff!! Keep them coming!!

I like KEEP ON DANCIN from WO,....just dont' like the title cut. but the rest is ok, Say We Can is good but I think it worked better in the live setting

I like KEEP ON DANCIN from WO,....just dont' like the title cut. but the rest is ok, Say We Can is good but I think it worked better in the live setting
    I would choose WO for Diana's most ill advised album; Every day is a new day would be her next weakest for my ears although He Lives In You was an obvious single but on WO I'm not sure there was a single there!

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    I would choose WO for Diana's most ill advised album; Every day is a new day would be her next weakest for my ears although He Lives In You was an obvious single but on WO I'm not sure there was a single there!
    I wanted "he lives in you" as the follow up single to "not over you yet" in the UK. Diana was happy about that but we had settled on "until we meet again" with "hliy" as the possible 3rd single until events took a more sinister turn. Yet another lost opportunity.
    I agree that "ediand" is not amongst her finest efforts. It was a decent effort , but there was something missing in my opinion. When I first heard it I was less confident about it's prospects than I had been about "fbtp" and "tmh" but I would have moved heaven and earth to get the best out of it had I been given the co-operation. Diana sent me a lovely hand written message thanking me for my efforts as indeed she did after my work on the previous two [[superior) albums.
    Totally agree with you about "wo", but it is good to know others can appreciate this album.

I think Workin' Overtime had real potential. The first single was a massive mistake, and the promo with Diana dancing in ripped jeans with dancers less than half her age just looked plain silly. I'm really not suprised she did not want to perform the song live on tv
    Had "Bottom Line" or virtually any song other than "This House" been selected as the first single it could have really taken off.........Me thinks.

I never thought WORKIN' OVERTIME was a bad album. I like some of the songs, like SAY WE CAN, THIS HOUSE, and PARADISE. It's just not what I want to hear from Diana. It is an album that I rarely [[if ever) play, and if I do, it is only the tracks that I mentioned.

But she did decent promotion for it in the States, with appearances on CNN, ENTERTAINMENT TONIGHT, and GOOD MORNING AMERICA. Plus she sang the title song during the OUR COMMON FUTURE telecast. And of course, there was an HBO special as well.

Personally, WORKIN' OVERTIME does give me one pleasant lasting memory. During the tour to promote it, I had a first row seat to one of the concerts. To my surprise, she called me up to dance during WO. I even got a kiss afterwards. :-)

There are some good songs on 'Workin' Overtime', but overall the album always seemed too forced to me, even when it came out. The sound is very cold and detached -- some of the 12 inches are much better, with more bass and more feel to the music [[sorry, I'm not a musician, so i don't know how to describe it) -- and the US Motown album sounds better than the EMI one. It didn't help that, while promoting the album in Europe, Diana kept saying "This is what we call house or hip-hop in America" -- eh, no Diana, it's neither house nor hip-hop.

Funny fact: Christopher Max, who co-wrote the song "Workin' Overtime" with Nile Rodgers, actually lives in the Netherlands now and participated [[though did not get far) in the second season of The Voice of Holland.

I really like the Workin' Overtime album with great tracks like Say We Can, Take The Bitter With The Sweet and Paradise - but Workin' Overtime was just not the right track for the market at that time and This House was a real non-starter.

As others have said the obvious choice as the lead single was Bottom Line. I'm convinced this would have been a success and subsequently boosted the album.

Not overkeen on the Every Day album but delighted with the UK success of not Not Over You Yet and I'm sure Until We Meet Again would have done well as the follow-up.

The other track I like is He Lives In You however given its similarity to Force Behind The Power I'm not convinced it would have been a commercial success as a single in the UK.

I liked most of the songs from WO but again, thought it wasn't a fit for Diana but I did like the songs mentioned above. think we all agree that the title cut wasn't the best choice. I would also went with Bottom Line and then Paradise.
    I still feel the songs were better live than the lp versions and think that perhaps , just as they remixed the original Diana album , perhaps this album should have had the same fate. my favorite tracks is still Keep On Dancin.
    when I saw Diana on tour for this album the entire audience was dancing and seem to love the songs. but they didn't seem to translate to radio well.
    I think Paradise needed a remix, but I like it a lot.
    Everyday is New Day ,...I liked but not until I heard the remix of Not Over You Yet. not sure who remixed it but to my ears a couple of the tracks needed remixs. I thought SugarFree and He Lives In You and the the title track were good. I would also have included Free Im Gone but I think that was a bonus track in japan .
    as fans I think we all hear Diana the same even though we may have some different opinions but mostly I think we all seem to think the same.
    the only stinker album for me was Last Time I Saw Him. that lp should have never seen the light of day .imo but I know there are some who like it.
    me thinks Diana needed all of us on her team to pick the singles,lol
    I enjoy reading your thoughts on the music

I'm from France and a fan since 1983. This is my first post, I'm sorry if i make mistake writing in english. I don't have a special order but here are the 9 albums I enjoy as a whole.

- Ross 83, mostly the Katz material, and I was disappointed when I learned he diminished the songs they recorded. The cover and the mood of the songs mysterious, dangerous, cold but sexy and glamour.
    - EDAND , it took two years to finally give another chance to this one. At first I hated the hip part of the album and was bored by the sameness of the songs. After a time, I started to listen again and paid attention to the lyrics. She sings with depth and sadness and it's really meaningful. I favor the japanese cd because of the two bonus songs.
    - The Boss , maybe her best performance when the voice is concerned.
    - Diana , pure simple dance LP. to short.
    - Surrender
    - Diana Ross 70
    - Baby it's me , good to very good but a little bit too busy arrangements.
    - Take me higher
    - Diana Ross 76. old fashioned glamorous penthouse soul/disco.

I would love to had Swept away and Force but there are to many song I dislike.
    I have a guilty love for Silk. Maybe because it was my first LP, I was looking for kind of Muscles sound and it was an uninspired Barbra Streisand late seventies kind of LP. I was unimpressed by her voice. yet it's not as bad as some say and there are a few good songs on it. "love lies", "who", "I am me", and "so close".

welcome Albator,...your English is fine
    I agree on Silk Electric. some good songs. I like mostly the same as you do,good taste, welcome aboard

Quote Originally Posted by Albator View Post
    I'm from France and a fan since 1983. This is my first post, I'm sorry if i make mistake writing in english. I don't have a special order but here are the 9 albums I enjoy as a whole.

- Ross 83, mostly the Katz material, and I was disappointed when I learned he diminished the songs they recorded. The cover and the mood of the songs mysterious, dangerous, cold but sexy and glamour.
    - EDAND , it took two years to finally give another chance to this one. At first I hated the hip part of the album and was bored by the sameness of the songs. After a time, I started to listen again and paid attention to the lyrics. She sings with depth and sadness and it's really meaningful. I favor the japanese cd because of the two bonus songs.
    - The Boss , maybe her best performance when the voice is concerned.
    - Diana , pure simple dance LP. to short.
    - Surrender
    - Diana Ross 70
    - Baby it's me , good to very good but a little bit too busy arrangements.
    - Take me higher
    - Diana Ross 76. old fashioned glamorous penthouse soul/disco.

I would love to had Swept away and Force but there are to many song I dislike.
    I have a guilty love for Silk. Maybe because it was my first LP, I was looking for kind of Muscles sound and it was an uninspired Barbra Streisand late seventies kind of LP. I was unimpressed by her voice. yet it's not as bad as some say and there are a few good songs on it. "love lies", "who", "I am me", and "so close".
    Welcome aboard!! New members are always welcome and they usually bring fresh ideas to the table. As david said earlier your English is just fine!!
    Interesting choices from you. It's good to see people appreciating Ross83 far more than i ever could but that is what makes this thread all the more interesting. We look forward to many more posts from you my friend!!

I like side 1 of Ross 83. New and exciting but side 2 weak and lame.pieces of Ice held up much better than most of her singles from 80 S. I like it much more now.wish we could get a expanded version of this album. Always thought That's how You Start Over could be a single.

I also think WO was more soulful than pop which enabled it from crossing over. . I have always thought of Diana as a pop singer mostly...even though she has sung many types of music. I still feel she IS the Queen of pop. Some ladies claim to have more #1 S now but they are counting songs that went to #1 on various charts while it was the case to count only those that reached the summit on billboards pop charts. But if you can Diana's hits from all the charts.I think it puts her back as the most successful female artist.

I like side 1 of Ross 83. New and exciting but side 2 weak and lame.pieces of Ice held up much better than most of her singles from 80 S. I like it much more now.wish we could get a expanded version of this album. Always thought That's how You Start Over could be a single.
    I totally agree with you david, side 1 of the original album was far superior. I have made my own playlist as i only ever really listened to the first five songs on the cd. Is it not true that Katz has said that working with Diana was not a great experience for him?.

Side 1 is the best but "let's go up" is "let's go up" is a standout track, one of her best delivery. In 83 I was crazy about "up front" and it was issued as a single. It wasn't heard on the radio, like "pieces of ice" by the way. "Love or loneliness" is pretty with it's "Supremes days" mood.
    Of course "Girl" was an embarrassment until very recently. I don't know why but this very 80's girl power anthem sound much better to my ears. The electric guitar part is very good.

I'v alway wandered why her live rendition of "let's go up" differed from her studio take. She dropped "the treasure of your pleasure cannot be measured up" and the "i can free" part.

funny I just read an interview of his and he felt that he didn't do Diana justice and felt disappointed he didn't have more time to work with her and on the album. he didn't say he had a problem with her per say. I will try and find the article again. he felt that he didn't have the best songs for Diana. i'll try and post it for you

Bluebrock, I have a question for you. since Diana has told you what albums she likes etc , it got my thinking , does Diana not pick the songs for her albums??? what is the process?? if she records and album with lets 18 songs,,,,how do they pick what songs will be on the album and what songs will not? just curious

Ollie, hello. I just re read Katz interview regarding working with Diana. he stated he liked working with Diana. my computer is not working properly right now and I am unable to drop link here but if you like , his interview is on the DIANA ROSS PROJECT. it is a review of all her albums. if you scroll down the right side of the screen , you will see a list of her albums. click on ross 83 and scroll down to the reviews section just below the review, you will see a link about 4 down. scroll down again until you see Katz name as the entire section is dedicated to her 1983 album and live concert.

Let's go up is a good track. thought..the rest seemed like old supremes songs

I remember two Katz interviews about working with Diana. One in a test about Central Park and the other in a Canadian or Australian magazine. He said the same thing but more abruptly. He criticized especially Diana Ross her lack of involvement in the creative process of the album and in the end, he saw himself reduced to be a sound technician.
    Basically he complained for the same reasons Barry Gibb did.
    I wonder if Daryl Hall said a word about "swept away" ...

Bluebrock, I have a question for you. since Diana has told you what albums she likes etc , it got my thinking , does Diana not pick the songs for her albums??? what is the process?? if she records and album with lets 18 songs,,,,how do they pick what songs will be on the album and what songs will not? just curious
    Daviddh - Diana had little control over her 70's Motown albums. It was Berry who had the final say, but when she joined RCA it was Diana who had the final word on tracklisting, although she did occasionally listen to other people. I am referring to the USA market when answering this question. It was slightly different in the UK. We were usually able to add or delete the odd track if we so wished, but we always ran it past Diana, and in fairness to her she never objected to our choices. She knew that we had her best interests at heart, unlike her domestic market. Hope that clears up your question.

..Bluebrock,...yes thanks, I was just thinking if she were unhappy with EDIAND album,...she could of picked different songs unless she was unhappy with then sound,mixs?
    I assumed BG was a bit overcontrolling with her which is one of the reason why I think she left.

I didn't hear Barry Gibb complain about Ross, but I am thinking that perhaps Diana was used to BG controlling everything for her and picking songs, I think this was a good growth period for her???

I didn't hear Barry Gibb complain about Ross, but I am thinking that perhaps Diana was used to BG controlling everything for her and picking songs, I think this was a good growth period for her???
    No but Maurice Gibb did. Barry and Diana got along fine and very nearly worked together on a follow up project but Diana and Maurice clashed.

..Bluebrock,...yes thanks, I was just thinking if she were unhappy with EDIAND album,...she could of picked different songs unless she was unhappy with then sound,mixs?
    I assumed BG was a bit overcontrolling with her which is one of the reason why I think she left.
    Don't really want to go into this too deeply but she was unhappy with some of the production and final mixes and wanted extra time to do some work on the album but Motown knew she would be leaving the company and released the album in it's "unfinished" form.

Hi, I'm Michael from Sweden, and I'm new here. I've been an avid Diana Ross [[and other Motown artists) fan since I was a kid and I also ran a Diana Ross website for many, many years. Anyway, I would like to thank Bluebrock and the rest of you for a very, very interesting thread. I love the fact that the discussion is about the ARTIST Diana Ross and her music. I also think her RCA/EMI years has been sadly overlooked or even ignored for far too long. The discussion here clearly shows that people are interested in the entire legacy of Diana Ross, not only her [[early) Motown years.

Bluebrock, a couple of questions if I may? What are your thoughts on the Live at Wembley set [[Greatest hits live) that EMI released in '89? I love anything and everything Diana, but I never thought that this live recording made her justice. I was there and loved the show, but on record the sound is kind of flat and Diana is not in her best voice on some of the songs. Was she herself happy with this album? I know EMI used songs from this album as b-sides on future singles, which was a smart marketing strategy, I just wish the live versions sounded more exciting
    I also wonder if EMI UK ever thought of releasing those Japan only songs Diana recorded for her children's book, and also the one off single, "Promise Me You'll Try"? Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Hi, I'm Michael from Sweden, and I'm new here. I've been an avid Diana Ross [[and other Motown artists) fan since I was a kid and I also ran a Diana Ross website for many, many years. Anyway, I would like to thank Bluebrock and the rest of you for a very, very interesting thread. I love the fact that the discussion is about the ARTIST Diana Ross and her music. I also think her RCA/EMI years has been sadly overlooked or even ignored for far too long. The discussion here clearly shows that people are interested in the entire legacy of Diana Ross, not only her [[early) Motown years.

Bluebrock, a couple of questions if I may? What are your thoughts on the Live at Wembley set [[Greatest hits live) that EMI released in '89? I love anything and everything Diana, but I never thought that this live recording made her justice. I was there and loved the show, but on record the sound is kind of flat and Diana is not in her best voice on some of the songs. Was she herself happy with this album? I know EMI used songs from this album as b-sides on future singles, which was a smart marketing strategy, I just wish the live versions sounded more exciting
    I also wonder if EMI UK ever thought of releasing those Japan only songs Diana recorded for her children's book, and also the one off single, "Promise Me You'll Try"? Thanks again!
    Hello Michael, I remember your website well! Nice to have you on board.
    I have to agree with you about the live album. The reasons behind were that Diana was to film a number of concerts for the workin overtime tour to be broadcast in various markets. Had it been 10 years later we would have released a DVD of the show but back then live albums remained a popular, cheap way of keeping the artist in the public eye. It wasn't my decision to release the live album and if i am to be perfectly honest i do not recall ever discussing it with Diana. At this point i did not know her very well and i was working with other artists so i had very little involvement in the live album. I have not listened to it in over 25 years so i cannot really say anymore. It did not appeal to me because it featured several tracks from WO which i never tire of telling anyone who will listen how bad an album that was. Diana also disliked WO so her sanctioning of the release was certainly not down to creative reasons. Merely financial ones i would imagine.