[REMOVE ADS]

Page 4 of 26 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 14 ... LastLast
    Bluerock

With regard to It's My House in the UK I was referring to the fact that it was featured on a investigative TV show World In Action into the charts and also a member of Storm made allegations that NEITHER version should actually have been in the top 40.

?

If for example she had had the same team behind her as in the 90s I'm pretty sure the singles from Swept Away and subsequently the album woud have done massively better.

How free a hand did EMI have in deciding what to release as a single in the UK? Presumably Diana had the final say as evidenced by Heart [[Don't Change My Mind)? That was certainly a big mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaap View Post
    If I remember correctly, that is correct. The story about including Endless Love at that time might be related to Diana's Duets, which was released in september 1981, when "Endless Love" was on the charts. The US version of the album did not include Endless Love [[though the international version did). But then, the song was included on All The Greatest Hits, which was just released one month later.

It was always my understanding that To Love Again was intended to be an album with only new recordings composed and produced by Michael Masser, but that the recording of the vocals were never completed because Ross left Motown. Therefore, Motown filled the remaining of the album with the hits songs Ross did of Masser. Unfortunately, the liner notes of the CD don't say anything about that. The other unreleased songs mentioned were intended for the more dance oriented Revelations album that Motown was planning to release, but apparently didn't when Ross publicly said that BG would never do that.
    You are correct. It was originally intended as an all new album but Diana's decision to leave Motown left Berry reeling and further recordings were abandoned.
    Berry initially vowed to release a "new" Ross motown album for every new RCA album but the pair of them soon kissed and made up and this never happened.

Quote Originally Posted by florence View Post
    Bluerock

With regard to It's My House in the UK I was referring to the fact that it was featured on a investigative TV show World In Action into the charts and also a member of Storm made allegations that NEITHER version should actually have been in the top 40.

?

If for example she had had the same team behind her as in the 90s I'm pretty sure the singles from Swept Away and subsequently the album woud have done massively better.

How free a hand did EMI have in deciding what to release as a single in the UK? Presumably Diana had the final say as evidenced by Heart [[Don't Change My Mind)? That was certainly a big mistake.
    Diana was usually more than happy to let us choose the singles, but we had to contact her for official permission but she never blocked a release. Even in the early 70's Motown UK could pretty much release what they deemed as suitable singles, but as a matter of courtesy Diana was always kept informed and no singles were ever released until she gave the nod, which to the best of my knowledge she always did.

Bluerock

?

Very well remembered Florence and i'm afraid i am unable to say anything about this situation. I wasn't personally involved in this but i do know people who are or were.

I agree about "swept away". Had i been in charge i'm sure we could have made "touch by touch" a much bigger hit. It had everything going for it but was not promoted properly, and the fact that "swept away"was never a UK single defies logic. Diana had enemies in the camp at this time. How else can you explain why "missing you" stalled at no.76 on two occasions. Coincidence my flabby backside!!

thank you Bluebrock. I appreciate you putting the pieces of the puzzle together. as I get older I remember things differently or incorrectly.

what I find strange is , how careful Motown was with the Supremes releases, they didn't seem to be as such with Ross solo career. I take into effect she was now married with children, and a actress. but she wasn't very visiable in the US at times except for a couple tv specials and a "few" Tonight Show appearances,
    you rarely saw her in the states.
    I thought there were more singles on DR76, and Diana. but Motown seem to dro[ the ball.
    Ross 78, I liked the newer tracks especially tracks by Greg Wright. I hope there are more tracks produced by him. I would have loved an album produced entirely by him on Ross

Quote Originally Posted by daviddh View Post
    what I find strange is , how careful Motown was with the Supremes releases, they didn't seem to be as such with Ross solo career. I take into effect she was now married with children, and a actress. but she wasn't very visiable in the US at times except for a couple tv specials and a "few" Tonight Show appearances,
    you rarely saw her in the states.
    I thought there were more singles on DR76, and Diana. but Motown seem to dro[ the ball.
    Ross 78, I liked the newer tracks especially tracks by Greg Wright. I hope there are more tracks produced by him. I would have loved an album produced entirely by him on Ross
    Gordy was determined to make Ross the ""Black Streisand". He wanted her to move into films. host her own regular TV show and be a regular at Vegas. Hit singles would be a bonus but no longer crucial. Diana herself was as you correctly point out a mother by this time, and despite wanting to continue her career she was first and foremost a mother and that was her priority. Of all the female stars i worked with no other star appeared to be as devoted to her children as Diana. I could tell you some stories about other less devoted mothers that would make your hair curl. In the late 80's and throughout the 90's every career move was juggled around her children and she never made any apologies for this. It merely made me respect her all the more. I knew all her children's Birthdays and i always ensured we did not arrange any foreign trips without taking this into consideration.

I do remember reading that songs Masser had intended for the To Love Again Album were later recorded with Dionne Warwick and included on her "Hot! Live And Otherwise" album. I would have loved to have heard a Diana version of "Now We're Starting Over Again". This could have been a massive hit for her.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    I do remember reading that songs Masser had intended for the To Love Again Album were later recorded with Dionne Warwick and included on her "Hot! Live And Otherwise" album. I would have loved to have heard a Diana version of "Now We're Starting Over Again". This could have been a massive hit for her.
    I've heard this story too but i don't know how accurate it is. It certainly possible even probable. I know Natalie Cole also recorded "nwsoa" not long afterwards. I do know how disappointed Dionne was with the muted reaction to the studio cuts on "hlao". She felt Arista did not promote the album despite gushing sleevenotes from Clive Davies.

There is a bonus track on Dionne's recently expanded No Night So Long CD, written by Michael Masser, that I'm convinced was meant for Diana. It's called This Time Is Ours and is recorded in a higher key than Dionne's norm. Recorded in 1980, it sounds very similar to the To Love Again tracks. Are you familiar with it?

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    I've heard this story too but i don't know how accurate it is. It certainly possible even probable. I know Natalie Cole also recorded "nwsoa" not long afterwards. I do know how disappointed Dionne was with the muted reaction to the studio cuts on "hlao". She felt Arista did not promote the album despite gushing sleevenotes from Clive Davies.
    I saw Dionne in concert the summer after HOT! LIVE AND OTHERWISE was released. By that time, SOME CHANGES ARE FOR GOOD had flopped. After performing it, she mentioned her displeasure with SOME CHANGES as the choice for the first single and said Arista should have released THERE'S A LONG ROAD AHEAD OF US instead, which she then performed to a standing ovation.
    Last edited by reese; 04-24-2016 at 11:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
    There is a bonus track on Dionne's recently expanded No Night So Long CD, written by Michael Masser, that I'm convinced was meant for Diana. It's called This Time Is Ours and is recorded in a higher key than Dionne's norm. Recorded in 1980, it sounds very similar to the To Love Again tracks. Are you familiar with it?
    Yes i am a huge Dionne fan and have the expanded version of "no night so long" which i think is one of Dionne's strongest albums. I honestly do not know if this song was originally intended for Diana but i know a man who may know and an e-mail will be going out shortly. I do know Dionne cut several tracks with Michael Masser some of which have yet to see the light of day. Going slightly off topic "don't give up on us" from "Eaten Alive" was originally recorded by Dionne during the "heartbreaker" sessions but remains in the vault with many other songs.

Yes i am a huge Dionne fan and have the expanded version of "no night so long" which i think is one of Dionne's strongest albums. I honestly do not know if this song was originally intended for Diana but i know a man who may know and an e-mail will be going out shortly. I do know Dionne cut several tracks with Michael Masser some of which have yet to see the light of day. Going slightly off topic "don't give up on us" from "Eaten Alive" was originally recorded by Dionne during the "heartbreaker" sessions but remains in the vault with many other songs.
    I agree about No Night So Long, a beautiful album. It will be interesting to see if my ears are correct about This Time. I have to say I have truly enjoyed the information you've provided about Diana and the behind-the-scenes decision making process. Thank you for sharing...

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
    I agree about No Night So Long, a beautiful album. It will be interesting to see if my ears are correct about This Time. I have to say I have truly enjoyed the information you've provided about Diana and the behind-the-scenes decision making process. Thank you for sharing...
    My pleasure Johnny. Glad you appreciate it.

Was there ever any consideration to Summertime being released as a single?

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    Before my time but I don't think so.

Not sure it could have been a hit single but easily the best song on that album.

Talking of Dionne, has anyone ever heard the duet she recorded with Mary Wilson titled "Heartbreak Of Love". It was intended for her Reservations For Two album but never released. Dionne also recorded it with June Pointer, which is the version featured on the album.

Talking of Dionne, has anyone ever heard the duet she recorded with Mary Wilson titled "Heartbreak Of Love". It was intended for her Reservations For Two album but never released. Dionne also recorded it with June Pointer, which is the version featured on the album.
    Yes I heard it back in the 80's. Dionne recorded enough duets for another album and amongst the artists not included on "rft" were Glenn Jones [[not "finders of lost loves") , Stevie Wonder [[who blocked the release) and Neil Diamond. Some songs were recorded with up to 3 duet partners. It would make a great expanded cd. I wish Mary's duet had been included. Not totally sure why it wasn't but I shall try to find out.

Yes I heard it back in the 80's. Dionne recorded enough duets for another album and amongst the artists not included on "rft" were Glenn Jones [[not "finders of lost loves") , Stevie Wonder [[who blocked the release) and Neil Diamond. Some songs were recorded with up to 3 duet partners. It would make a great expanded cd. I wish Mary's duet had been included. Not totally sure why it wasn't but I shall try to find out.
    I have never heard the duet as sung with Mary, but can hear her voice singing it in my mind. I do think the style of the song would have fit her voice like a glove. Was Dionne outshone lol.
    I have always thought many of the duets from this album would have suited Marys style and were the type of songs she should have recorded for her solo album.
    Back to M's Ross, i have always wondered if the reason "I Ain't Been Licked" [[Fab song) was overlooked as a single was because the title sounds a bit rude???. Other than that it is very radio friendly.

I have never heard the duet as sung with Mary, but can hear her voice singing it in my mind. I do think the style of the song would have fit her voice like a glove. Was Dionne outshone lol.
    I have always thought many of the duets from this album would have suited Marys style and were the type of songs she should have recorded for her solo album.
    Back to M's Ross, i have always wondered if the reason "I Ain't Been Licked" [[Fab song) was overlooked as a single was because the title sounds a bit rude???. Other than that it is very radio friendly.
    Without wishing to go off topic Dionne was most definitely not outshone by Mary. Dionne was at the peak of her vocal power and much as I love Mary her vocals were not in the same class which is part of the reason why the track was canned, but we are going off topic here.
    As regards "i ain't been licked" I would have chosen it as the 2nd single. It could and should have been a smash. Motown UK and Motown USA went with different songs for the 2nd single. Motown UK chose "no-one gets the prize" because it got some action in the clubs but was not picked up by radio. Wrong choice in my opinion. Motown USA went with "it's my house". Don't know why they did but again I would consider it to be the wrong decision. "iabl" is classic Ross and Diana herself was puzzled as to why it was not a single when I discussed it with her 15 years later. A lost opportunity for sure.

"No One Gets The Prize" was always my least favourite song on the album, and i knew in my bones it would never become a hit when released as a single. The same thing happened with "Your Love Is So Good For Me". Because the clubs picked up on it, hey ho it surely has to be a hit...Nah!.
    I really think IABL had far more potential as a single than even "The Boss".
    My pick of singles from this sparkling album.....at least in the UK would have been....
    1. It's My House.
    2. I Ain't Been Licked.
    3. All For One.

"No One Gets The Prize" was always my least favourite song on the album, and i knew in my bones it would never become a hit when released as a single. The same thing happened with "Your Love Is So Good For Me". Because the clubs picked up on it, hey ho it surely has to be a hit...Nah!.
    I really think IABL had far more potential as a single than even "The Boss".
    My pick of singles from this sparkling album.....at least in the UK would have been....
    1. It's My House.
    2. I Ain't Been Licked.
    3. All For One.
    I would have gone with the title track as the 1st single but I would have made sure that radio 1 picked up on it by whatever means necessary. Motown UK were asleep. It should have gone top 10 as should "iabl" as the 2nd single. I would have picked "it's my house" as the 3rd single. Sometimes you have to bully radio stations to play your product. I would have made this album a big success. Call be big headed but I would have done.

I would have gone with the title track as the 1st single but I would have made sure that radio 1 picked up on it by whatever means necessary. Motown UK were asleep. It should have gone top 10 as should "iabl" as the 2nd single. I would have picked "it's my house" as the 3rd single. Sometimes you have to bully radio stations to play your product. I would have made this album a big success. Call be big headed but I would have done.
    As regards "baby it's me" I agree that "ylisgfm" was the wrong choice of 2nd single. I would have gone for "all night lover". Tony Blackburn loved this song and he once told me how disappointed he was that it didn't get to be a single. I think had this been a hit we could have made "top of the world" a success off the back of it. As it happened it stalled at no 66.

I guess it just shows that everyone has different tastes. I would never have picked It's My House as a single. I find the song uninteresting and it's not one of my favorites. The Boss, I Ain't Been Licked and No One Gets The Prize were my favorites of the LP.

Quote Originally Posted by thommg View Post
    I guess it just shows that everyone has different tastes. I would never have picked It's My House as a single. I find the song uninteresting and it's not one of my favorites. The Boss, I Ain't Been Licked and No One Gets The Prize were my favorites of the LP.
    I agree to a certain extent. It is my least favourite track on the album. It goes on far too long but there is some kind of strange quality about it that could have struck big had it been promoted better.

Very interesting opinions but were any of Diana's records going to be big hits in the UK in the late 70s?

I've always maintained Never Say I Don't Love You should have been the A-side instead of Prize.

As Bluerock has mentioned, given that RCA tried several times to break Missing You it really is strange that it never even manged to break the top 75 although it spent two months yo-yoing around just outside it and will probably have sold more than many of those which were in the lower part for a couple of weeks.

Swept Away was a superb album which was hampered by bad promotion of the singles in the UK but on a personal level and contrary to the consensus I actually thought Missing You was one of the weakest tracks on it - it sounded disjointed and forced to me - and the other track I wasn't overkeen on was All Of You - but there you go MY it was Diana's last major hit in her homeland.

I see you mention Top Of The World as reaching #66. The UK charts were a top 50 then so I assume this was information supplied to the record companies?

Do you have any position for Your Love Is So Good For Me? I know they both made the top 75 in the pilot charts Gallup produced in 1978.

Loved All Night Lover - could have gone either way as a single but if Tony Balckburn was behind it then its chances must have been good!

All Night Lover was an obvious first single but as they say in the booklet for the recent release, there were too many strong cuts on the album and no consensus on what should have been pushed. I would have gone for All Night Lover even if it was a bit of the old Supremes sound.

Missing You figured much higher on the sales portion of the Billboard Top 100 than the airplay portion. My recollection is that in the USA, it reached as high as #4 on the sale portion.

By that time, Diana Ross was 40 years old - an old fart in a business that is looking for 20 year olds.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    To me, and many others I'm sure, the obvious single of RHR&B would/should have been "It's Hard For Me To Say." And every time I hear that song I feel sorry that Ross never let Vandross do a whole album for her.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaap View Post
    To me, and many others I'm sure, the obvious single of RHR&B would/should have been "It's Hard For Me To Say." And every time I hear that song I feel sorry that Ross never let Vandross do a whole album for her.
    Luther would be pleased to hear you say that. He did everything in his power to make it happen, and later on Diana herself also expressed similar sentiments.

I think it fair to say that after 85, no matter how commerciall the song or brilliant the promotion America was never going to give Diana another hit album or single. I think she should have focussed all her energies on promoting her music in parts of the world that continued to appreciate the quality of music she was still producing.

I was playing RHR&B this morning and thinking how fresh it still sounds. Songs such as Why Do Fools Fall In Love and Sweet Nothings would have fitted perfectly on this album. I so wish this had been her RCA debut with Tom Dowd at the helm. The production alone is far superior and i think it would have made for a nice RCA debut, with those two songs included......Many more potential hit singles me thinks.

Very interesting opinions but were any of Diana's records going to be big hits in the UK in the late 70s?

I've always maintained Never Say I Don't Love You should have been the A-side instead of Prize.

As Bluerock has mentioned, given that RCA tried several times to break Missing You it really is strange that it never even manged to break the top 75 although it spent two months yo-yoing around just outside it and will probably have sold more than many of those which were in the lower part for a couple of weeks.

Swept Away was a superb album which was hampered by bad promotion of the singles in the UK but on a personal level and contrary to the consensus I actually thought Missing You was one of the weakest tracks on it - it sounded disjointed and forced to me - and the other track I wasn't overkeen on was All Of You - but there you go MY it was Diana's last major hit in her homeland.

I see you mention Top Of The World as reaching #66. The UK charts were a top 50 then so I assume this was information supplied to the record companies?

Do you have any position for Your Love Is So Good For Me? I know they both made the top 75 in the pilot charts Gallup produced in 1978.

Loved All Night Lover - could have gone either way as a single but if Tony Balckburn was behind it then its chances must have been good!
    Florence - All of Diana's singles made the top 100. As regards "ylisgfm" it peaked at something like no,81 and only spent a couple of weeks on the chart. The top 100 was available to people in the industry but not the general public

Florence - All of Diana's singles made the top 100. As regards "ylisgfm" it peaked at something like no,81 and only spent a couple of weeks on the chart. The top 100 was available to people in the industry but not the general public
    That's really interesting - even Funky Old Rolls?

I remember thinking it had no chance - it didn't even seem to be on sale in the shops! I had to order it especially and even then it took nearly three weeks to arrive.

That's really interesting - even Funky Old Rolls?

I remember thinking it had no chance - it didn't even seem to be on sale in the shops! I had to order it especially and even then it took nearly three weeks to arrive.
    Yes, even "old funky rolls" spent 3 weeks in the top 100 peaking at no.88!!!

I loved All Night Lover,top Of The world and Getting Ready For Love

Quote Originally Posted by daviddh View Post
    I loved All Night Lover,top Of The world and Getting Ready For Love
    It was a great album that should have done much better. Curiously enough it is not amongst Diana's personal favourites.

It was a great album that should have done much better. Curiously enough it is not amongst Diana's personal favourites.
    The question i'm sure everyone is dying to know is......Have you any idea what Diana's favourite or most liked album is. I dont know why but i'm suprised BIM is not one she is fond of. Perhaps that is why she never promoted her latest single at the time"Your Love Is So Good For Me" when she was in concert at the London Palladium early 78.
    At a Guess i would say it might be Diana Ross 70 or Take Me Higher.

The question i'm sure everyone is dying to know is......Have you any idea what Diana's favourite or most liked album is. I dont know why but i'm suprised BIM is not one she is fond of. Perhaps that is why she never promoted her latest single at the time"Your Love Is So Good For Me" when she was in concert at the London Palladium early 78.
    At a Guess i would say it might be Diana Ross 70 or Take Me Higher.
    You are quite correct Ollie. Diana Ross 70, Touch Me In The Morning, The Boss, Force Behind the Power and Take Me Higher. She disliked Everything is Everything. Last Time I Saw Him and especially Working Overtime if my memory serves me correctly.

Bluerock

What was the story behind Goin' Back being shelved as a single?

Any ideas why Endless Love was never certified Silver? s

Although it only reached #7 it seemed to be at a period of high sales for in the first year end chart for 1981 based on panel sales it was in the BMRB top 50 suggesting just under 300k sold.

Apparently as Endless Love was being released Motown was changing its distributor interestingly from EMI to RCA so that sales were split between the two and neither had shipped enough copies to claim Silver.

But the Record Company would have to keep a record of the total sales and I really can't believe that somebody couldn't have realised that the record had easily passed the quarter million?
    what happened here?

You are quite correct Ollie. Diana Ross 70, Touch Me In The Morning, The Boss, Force Behind the Power and Take Me Higher. She disliked Everything is Everything. Last Time I Saw Him and especially Working Overtime if my memory serves me correctly.
    It's kind of reassuring to know that Diana recognises those which are her classic albums. I have never really liked LTISH much either. It's a great shame they did not revisit the songs not used from the intended "To The Baby" album, add a few songs a little sympathetic to the theme such as "Love Me" and released that instead.

Bluerock

What was the story behind Goin' Back being shelved as a single?

Any ideas why Endless Love was never certified Silver? s

Although it only reached #7 it seemed to be at a period of high sales for in the first year end chart for 1981 based on panel sales it was in the BMRB top 50 suggesting just under 300k sold.

Apparently as Endless Love was being released Motown was changing its distributor interestingly from EMI to RCA so that sales were split between the two and neither had shipped enough copies to claim Silver.

But the Record Company would have to keep a record of the total sales and I really can't believe that somebody couldn't have realised that the record had easily passed the quarter million?
    what happened here?
    Hello Florence. As regards "going back" we had prepared the release of the song as a single to further promote the "love and life" double cd. We wanted to catch the lucrative Christmas market, Diana had a big role in choosing the tracks for the album. We recorded two new songs and chose "going back" out of the two. We booked Diana for a 10 day European visit and booked slots on "totp", "cduk" and the "jonathan Ross show". We also booked TV appearances in Germany, France and Italy, and then a terrorist threat prevented Diana from flying over. It was all very cloak and dagger stuff. Without Diana over here to promote it we withdrew the single though i believe Belgium went ahead and released the single. We had also provisionally decided to finally release "until we meet again" as the follow up single but of course that did not happen either.Despite all thisthe album sold well.
    Diana loved Dusty Springfield's version of "going back" and until the terrorist threat she was 100& behind it's release. Personally i didn't care much for it but i thought we had a hit on our hands. However it was not meant to be.
    As regards "endless love" it was before my time but you are correct when you say it should have been certified silver. It certainly sold enough but the change of distributors had a negative effect on it as you rightly suspected. Hope this helps.

Have you any idea what happened after the release of the "Love And Life" compilation Bluebrock. I know she was dropped by Motown and did have personal problems, but did Diana not try for a recording contract with another label. It's as if everything came to a grinding halt until 2005.

Have you any idea what happened after the release of the "Love And Life" compilation Bluebrock. I know she was dropped by Motown and did have personal problems, but did Diana not try for a recording contract with another label. It's as if everything came to a grinding halt until 2005.
    She took time out. She was unwell and she had a break whilst she dealt with her ongoing problems. Clive Davies wanted to sign her to his label but he wanted her to do a series of "great American Songbook" type albums. Diana wanted to do something more modern but her demands put other labels off. She had numerous offers but for various reasons all these discussions came to nothing.

thanks for clearing that Bluebrook. I thought she may have had album deals offered.

It's kind of reassuring to know that Diana recognises those which are her classic albums. I have never really liked LTISH much either. It's a great shame they did not revisit the songs not used from the intended "To The Baby" album, add a few songs a little sympathetic to the theme such as "Love Me" and released that instead.
    She was also quite pleased with the "surrender" album and also the Black album but she hated the fact that it was just called "Diana Ross" a mere 6 years after her debut. Never could understand why it wasn't called Love Hangover to be honest.

She was also quite pleased with the "surrender" album and also the Black album but she hated the fact that it was just called "Diana Ross" a mere 6 years after her debut. Never could understand why it wasn't called Love Hangover to be honest.
    I remember the first time I saw the "Black Album." in a store. I thought the title was THEME FROM MAHOGANY... because she already had an album called DIANA ROSS.

But looking at the songs on it, I don't think any of them would have made a great album title. And since LOVE HANGOVER was only an album track until the 5th Dimension's version forced its release as a single, I can understand why it wasn't named after it.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    I remember the first time I saw the "Black Album." in a store. I thought the title was THEME FROM MAHOGANY... because she already had an album called DIANA ROSS.

But looking at the songs on it, I don't think any of them would have made a great album title. And since LOVE HANGOVER was only an album track until the 5th Dimension's version forced its release as a single, I can understand why it wasn't named after it.
    I still think "love hangover" would have made a good album title. It was obviously a showcase track on the album both innovative and creative and a future classic, but then what do I know?

Plenty of albums are named after a song that was never released as a single. Everything Is Everything being just one example. I can understand why her solo debut album was named after her but not the black album. I think "Love Hangover sounds a terrific title.
    ross 83 also displayed just a tad lack of imagination. I would have called it " Pink".
    But seriously i think "Upfront" would have made for a more interesting title..

Plenty of albums are named after a song that was never released as a single. Everything Is Everything being just one example. I can understand why her solo debut album was named after her but not the black album. I think "Love Hangover sounds a terrific title.
    ross 83 also displayed just a tad lack of imagination. I would have called it " Pink".
    But seriously i think "Upfront" would have made for a more interesting title..
    I agree Ollie.It was just plain lazy of Motown to not give the Black album a better title. Good call with Ross83. I think album titles are very important and can affect sales just as a good/bad cover can. Diana was always given the final say on her album covers and she generally did a fine job, but it was not until she left Motown that she chose the album titles. It would have all been so different had i managed her........

I never liked the song Last Time I Saw Him, but I had a great fondness for the album. I thought it showed Diana is a different light than previous releases, a little more earthy, a little gritty. i liked that, not as a new direction but as a side street before getting back on the highway.