[REMOVE ADS]

Original Cast Sound Track - TCB - Supremes/Temptations Review

Another excellent review of the 1968 TCB album.

https://dianarossproject.wordpress.c...undtrack-1968/

you beat me to it this time...great piece

interesting read but i do feel it's a bit over the top with superlatives. While i'm a huge Sups fan and don't deny TCB was a major milestone for the group, these aren't my favorite Diana vocals. i truly love the 70s Diana live vocals, when her voice had gained some additional warmth to ease some of the nasality. the recently released 1966 set with DMF is good too but Diana's voice has a hoarseness to it.

Here Diana is full-on in her "hiccup" phase. she was touching on it with the Talk of the Town set and her, it's like she needs a glass of water. by the time Farewell came around, she'd toned it down.

still it is a great piece of musical history even if the performances aren't the #1 best by the lead singer.

it was historic and the pressure was on I was a teenager at the time, an awestruck fan, and I could not believe that people of color that were popular with my age group were given their own prime time network special, I don't believe this had ever happened before, so at that time, believe me, it felt like a major miracle [[and of course, although I was too young to realize, a major breakthrough for performers of color)..kudos to Berry Gordy

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    interesting read but i do feel it's a bit over the top with superlatives. While i'm a huge Sups fan and don't deny TCB was a major milestone for the group, these aren't my favorite Diana vocals. i truly love the 70s Diana live vocals, when her voice had gained some additional warmth to ease some of the nasality. the recently released 1966 set with DMF is good too but Diana's voice has a hoarseness to it.

Here Diana is full-on in her "hiccup" phase. she was touching on it with the Talk of the Town set and her, it's like she needs a glass of water. by the time Farewell came around, she'd toned it down.

still it is a great piece of musical history even if the performances aren't the #1 best by the lead singer.
    I agree. As much as I liked TCB, this wasn't Diana's best vocals. And Mary's and Cindy's mics were at half the volume as Diana's. Good review but a bit overblown

thought it was a great tv special, soundtrack, and review. I do agree that the mics were to low but wasn't this the norm by then.
    I did think the Supremes rehashed some old tunes over again...WITH A SONG IN MY HEART, would have been nice to hear newer songs.......maybe Funny Girl or ....something more fresh

At the time, it was historic and ground breaking.

But the album itself isn't such a big deal anymore. I thought the Temptations I'm Losing You was the best version that was ever recording.

Diana Ross & the Supremes Join The Temptations is now a much better album.

correct - out of context of the historical important, it's not a live album that might appeal to passing fans. there's limited content of each of the groups individual hits and a lot of "filler"

but frankly those shoppers would be better served to simply go get the latest version of Greatest Hits collection anyway.

of course it would be wonderful to get the released material. many of us have the bootlegs of things like Lovelight and others. and the Funny Girl medley [[in partial format) is on the recent expanded edition

I was about six when the TV special aired. I thought it was amazing. Loved the clear stage and the groovy outfits.

correct - out of context of the historical important, it's not a live album that might appeal to passing fans. there's limited content of each of the groups individual hits and a lot of "filler"

but frankly those shoppers would be better served to simply go get the latest version of Greatest Hits collection anyway.

of course it would be wonderful to get the released material. many of us have the bootlegs of things like Lovelight and others. and the Funny Girl medley [[in partial format) is on the recent expanded edition
    Sup-Fan, I know Mas Que Nada was posted once on this site, and I heard an alternate Respect. But I've never heard the Lovelights outtake or any other TCB bootlegs. What else is out there from TCB that fans have? Also, can any links be posted onto this thread if available. I'd love to hear them.

Sup-Fan, I know Mas Que Nada was posted once on this site, and I heard an alternate Respect. But I've never heard the Lovelights outtake or any other TCB bootlegs. What else is out there from TCB that fans have? Also, can any links be posted onto this thread if available. I'd love to hear them.

Even Mary's blonde wig caught attention at the time. And the stage attire of both groups was ground breaking and ostentatious.

The whole thing was a huge splash.

LOVED Mary's blonde wig! in her own words from the show..terrific!"

the zfunny Girl medley was taken out and replaced with her afro wig dance routine

i don't know of any temps-only numbers cut from the show. Mas was slated to be performed by M and C and a couple of the guys. would have come after Mrs Robinson and before Respect. on one of my bootleg cds from the fans i have it, Lovelight which was performed after With a Song and before the Come See About me medley. was a stand-alone song, meaning not tucked into a medley. they sort of perform most of it. it's not every verse, perhaps the second verse was cut. not sure. and yes then there's the Funny Girl set which was cut. finally they supposedly worked on that odd medley of their tunes that was eventually released on the Sup and Temps complete duets cds

Thanks, guys, for always sharing my posts and discussing the articles I've written on my blog. Love reading the responses and knowing that people remain as interested as I am in these classic recordings. It took me a long time to sign up for an account here, but I'm glad I'm part of the group now and hope I can contribute something to these discussions.

It's funny -- I go back and read many of my posts on Ross/Supremes albums and feel that maybe I was a little too kind or even over effusive [[i.e. I'm still troubled by how nice I was about Eaten Alive!), but in this case, I stand by my thoughts on TCB. I've listened to it many times since I wrote the article, and I think it holds up beautifully and remains an entertaining and important work. As for Diana's vocals -- I personally think she sounds great -- very strong and engaged in the material. I prefer it to her work on the Copa and Talk Of The Town LPs -- and think she shows tremendous growth as a vocalist here.

In any case, I'm glad I have my "2-on1" CD release of TCB, but would love something even cleaner and more fitting for such a landmark special. Maybe someday...?

Next week comes my article on Let The Sunshine In. Looking forward to hearing everyone's thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by dianarossproject View Post
    Thanks, guys, for always sharing my posts and discussing the articles I've written on my blog. Love reading the responses and knowing that people remain as interested as I am in these classic recordings. It took me a long time to sign up for an account here, but I'm glad I'm part of the group now and hope I can contribute something to these discussions.

It's funny -- I go back and read many of my posts on Ross/Supremes albums and feel that maybe I was a little too kind or even over effusive [[i.e. I'm still troubled by how nice I was about Eaten Alive!), but in this case, I stand by my thoughts on TCB. I've listened to it many times since I wrote the article, and I think it holds up beautifully and remains an entertaining and important work. As for Diana's vocals -- I personally think she sounds great -- very strong and engaged in the material. I prefer it to her work on the Copa and Talk Of The Town LPs -- and think she shows tremendous growth as a vocalist here.

In any case, I'm glad I have my "2-on1" CD release of TCB, but would love something even cleaner and more fitting for such a landmark special. Maybe someday...?

Next week comes my article on Let The Sunshine In. Looking forward to hearing everyone's thoughts.
    Welcome aboard, Paul! Your blog is such a joy to me.

Your writing is excellent Paul

SupremeBoy Guest
    I was a mere 9 months old when this special aired, so I don't recall watching it from my crib, lol...but I did buy the soundtrack in 1981, when I was 13. My first Supremes album was the 2-LP set, "Diana Ross and the Supremes Greatest Hits" and that was my first introduction to the group. I got that as a birthday gift when I turned 10 in 1978.

Anyway, I brought TCB only because I loved the splashy color pictures on the front and the back of the album and from reading the track listings it featured quite a few of my favorite Supreme and Temptations songs.

When I finally put the album on I was sooo disappointed. I was shocked at the great departure these Supremes recordings were from the originals and that jarring vocal "hiccup" that Diana employed in her vocals got on my last nerve! I listened to it once and then shelved it in disgust.

I finally got to see the actual special and although still not a huge fan of the arrangements or Miss Ross' vocal affectations I do understand the importance and significance of the special as a whole and the visuals/choreography do enhance the experience versus just hearing the songs on their own.

But damn, this album is bad.

Just my 2 cents.

hey Paul, I've been posting your stuff here for quite a while.. now you can do it yourself, or if not, we will!! thanks for the great work you do which is so appreciated!