[REMOVE ADS]

For fans of The Pixies Three....new CD

Quote Originally Posted by blueskies View Post
    Thanks for sharing. A great Central Pennsylvania group. I saw them in person not too long ago at the Hanover PA Legion. It was a completely sold out event. They sound as great as ever.

I love The Pixes Three, too. As a Girl-Group collector, I especially love their Mercury recordings of "Birthday Party" and "Cold Cold Winter". When I saw their more recent photos, I had to do a double-take -- they've barely aged at all! Thanks for sharing this really neat article, blueskies.

Hi Woodward and Gary,
    Glad you enjoyed. I know Kaye and we've communicated for a number of years. Nice ladies. I believe Midge lives in Florida.

Blueskies, how cool that you've befriended Kaye!

BTW, don't'cha just love those Mercury 45 picture sleeves for The Pixies Three! They are so cool! I love Mercury's 45 picture sleeves used for Lesley Gore as well! She had a slew of them -- each in a different color! Those were the days!

Also, I already had The Pixies Three "Our History" CD, but I had no idea that their original Mercury album had been recently remastered for CD until I read it in the article that you posted above. Thanks to you, I got Amazon's last copy which will be here Wednesday! Thanks again!
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 02-15-2016 at 03:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post

BTW, don't'cha just love those Mercury 45 picture sleeves for The Pixies Three! They are so cool! I love Mercury's 45 picture sleeves used for Lesley Gore as well! She had a slew of them -- each in a different color! Those were the days!

Also, I already had The Pixies Three "Our History" CD, but I had no idea that their original Mercury album had been recently remastered for CD until I read it in the article that you posted above. Thanks to you, I got Amazon's last copy which will be here Wednesday! Thanks again!
    Gary,
    Were you aware The Pixies Three recorded 7 CD's from 1995 to 2015? You could only purchase them through their fan club site. They're excellent! Kaye has a recording studio in her home. I don't see they're still available, but, you could contact Kaye and find out. Of course, the "Timeless" 2015 is available. I also found it at CDBaby.
    1995-Now and Then
    1996-Vintable Pixies
    2000-Tribute to the Girl Groups
    2003- 40 Years and Counting
    2005- Dance The Night Away
    2006- Party With The Pixies Three
    2015- Timeless
    These were recorded at Kaye's Kristabelle Studio

995 Now and Then- Kr1996 Vintage Pixies- Kristebelle
    2000 Tribute to the Girl Groups- Kristebelle
    2001 Our History – Crystal Ball
    2003 40 Years and Counting- Kristebelle
    2005 Dance the Night Away- Kristebelle
    2006 Party With the Pixies Three - Mercury [[Japan)
    1964 Party With the Pixies Three- Mercury
    1995 Now and Then- Kristebelle
    1996 Vintage Pixies- Kristebelle
    2000 Tribute to the Girl Groups- Kristebelle
    2001 Our History – Crystal Ball
    2003 40 Years and Counting- Kristebelle
    2005 Dance the Night Away- Kristebelle
    2006 Party With the Pixies Three - Mercury [[Japan)
    Last edited by blueskies; 02-15-2016 at 07:01 AM.

Gary,
    Speaking of Mercury 45 sleeves.....here's one for you. One of my favorite girl groups...and local girls at that. I found out Carol Raymont lived only a couple of blocks from me. Sadly, Carol passed away a few years ago and I never got to meet her.
    http://www.spectropop.com/gg/secrets.html
    http://www.thatphillysound.com/artists/secrets.html

[QUOTE=blueskies;324896]Gary, were you aware The Pixies Three recorded 7 CD's from 1995 to 2015?]
    Blueskies, I wasn't aware of The Pixies Three's more recent recordings until I read the article that you posted above at the beginning of this thread. It's good to know that the girls are still at it, but, for now, I'll stick with their original 1963 girl-group-era Mercury material.
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 02-15-2016 at 10:15 PM.

Gary,
    Speaking of Mercury 45 sleeves.....here's one for you. One of my favorite girl groups...and local girls at that. I found out Carol Raymont lived only a couple of blocks from me. Sadly, Carol passed away a few years ago and I never got to meet her.
    http://www.spectropop.com/gg/secrets.html
    http://www.thatphillysound.com/artists/secrets.html
    Heck, yeah, Blueskies, I had that single by The Secrets! Got it for Christmas 1963! Love it! You probably already know about the 2-CD Various Artists Girl Group set titled "Growin' Up Too Fast" that came out back in the late 1990's. It contained The Secrets' "The Boy Next Door," "Hey Big Boy", and "The Other Side Of Town" -- all in glorious mono from the master tapes. I also bought a Various Artists CD titled "Philips Doo-Wop [[Vol. 2) which contained The Secrets' "He's The Boy", Oh Donnie", and "Learnin' To Forget." Of course, none of these tracks are "Doo-Wop" by any stretch, but it's still cool to have it just for the rare tracks by The Secrets.

Do you remember the Sherrys from Philly area? "Pop pop Popeye....is the name of the dance..."

Heck, yeah, Blueskies, I had that single by The Secrets! Got it for Christmas 1963! Love it! You probably already know about the 2-CD Various Artists Girl Group set titled "Growin' Up Too Fast" that came out back in the late 1990's. It contained The Secrets' "The Boy Next Door," "Hey Big Boy", and "The Other Side Of Town" -- all in glorious mono from the master tapes. I also bought a Various Artists CD titled "Philips Doo-Wop [[Vol. 2) which contained The Secrets' "He's The Boy", Oh Donnie", and "Learnin' To Forget." Of course, none of these tracks are "Doo-Wop" by any stretch, but it's still cool to have it just for the rare tracks by The Secrets.
    Hi Gary,
    Yes, I have the 'Growin up too Fast' CD. In fact, I was going to look up Carol Raymont [[who lived a couple of blocks from me) and have her sign it. It has a great pic of them in the liner notes. Only, I didn't move fast enough on it and she passed away. I regret that I never pursued that and asked her a lot of questions.
    From what I've learned, she had a great sense of humor and personality.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Do you remember the Sherrys from Philly area? "Pop pop Popeye....is the name of the dance..."
    Sure do, Luke. I've had the CD for years. If I'm not mistaken, I think Tammy Montgomery [[Terrell) was briefly in the group.

Hi Gary,
    Yes, I have the 'Growin up too Fast' CD. In fact, I was going to look up Carol Raymont [[who lived a couple of blocks from me) and have her sign it. It has a great pic of them in the liner notes. Only, I didn't move fast enough on it and she passed away. I regret that I never pursued that and asked her a lot of questions.
    From what I've learned, she had a great sense of humor and personality.
    Blueskies, what a shame you were so close to Carol and yet so far apart. Coulda, woulda, shoulda -- the story of our lives.

Great girl group song...please don't kiss me again..the Charmettes!

Blueskies, what a shame you were so close to Carol and yet so far apart. Coulda, woulda, shoulda -- the story of our lives.
    Yes, I'm sorry I never got to meet up with Carol. A missed opportunity, indeed. Just goes to show you.....don't wait
    http://hosting-24190.tributes.com/ob...drick-88760305
    Last edited by blueskies; 02-17-2016 at 10:39 AM.

Great girl group song...please don't kiss me again..the Charmettes!
    That's a good one, Luke! I also like their "Stop The Wedding".

Go blueskies. You are on it! The Girlfriends ..my one and only jimmy boy with Miss Carolyn Wills from Honey Cone?

Go blueskies. You are on it! The Girlfriends ..my one and only jimmy boy with Miss Carolyn Wills from Honey Cone?
    Probably more of a 'regional' hit....The Teardrops...."Tears Come Tumbling Down".
    Gary might like that 45 sleeve....those hair-do's are killers!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALGlC0WAv_A
    Last edited by blueskies; 02-17-2016 at 05:05 PM.

I stumped you blueskies?? It made national charts!!! Are these the Teardrops who did what a guy/ boy I can't forget/ Ellie Greenwich? How about Patty And the Emblems

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uF1QhE-azuE Great spectoresque record by the Girlfriends with miss Carolyn Wills...Honey Cone/seals and Croft

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uF1QhE-azuE Great spectoresque record by the Girlfriends with miss Carolyn Wills...Honey Cone/seals and Croft
    Jimmy Boy was a great record!! They come on strong and don't let up until the record is over. I wonder if they ever recorded any more than this song? I was aware that Carolyn Willis went on to become of member of Honeycone.
    Another fave of mine are the Breakaways. I had this record when I was a kid and thought they were from Detroit!! These girls were from Liverpool, England!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnAX...1SN_hWOjIsxkRL

That's quite a stomper by Breakaways. Shangrilasy somewhat. I confused teardrops with raindrops! Not sure if Girlfriends did anything else

That's quite a stomper by Breakaways. Shangrilasy somewhat. I confused teardrops with raindrops! Not sure if Girlfriends did anything else
    Girl group one-shot the Girlfriends was an offshoot of the famed Los Angeles session vocal group the Blossoms. Singers Gloria Jones [[nee Goodson), Nanette Jackson, Fanita James and Darlene Wright first joined forces as members of Richard Berry's backing group the Dreamers; in 1957, the foursome founded the Blossoms, scoring a hit four years later with the single "Son-in-Law" but earning their greatest renown as one of the finest session units in the business. When producer Phil Spector tapped James and Wright for his group Bob B. Soxx and the Blue Jeans [[renaming the latter Darlene Love in the process), the remaining duo of Jones and Jackson enlisted former Ikette Carolyn Willis to form the Girlfriends. The group's lone single, the David Gates-produced Colpix release "My One and Only Jimmy Boy," remains one of the best Spector homages of the era, but struggled to crack the Top 50 in late 1963; no follow-ups were forthcoming, although rumors exist of a sequel titled "I Don't Believe in You" [[possibly recorded with an altogether different set of vocalists). In 1969, Willis returned to the charts as one-third of the soul trio Honey Cone; she and Jones later reunited to tour oldies circuits as one of several groups calling themselves the Shirelles.

Probably more of a 'regional' hit....The Teardrops...."Tears Come Tumbling Down".
    Gary might like that 45 sleeve....those hair-do's are killers!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALGlC0WAv_A
    Yeah, blueskies.... The hair is quaint!

And The Girlfriend's "Jimmy Boy" is hot! Hard to believe that it was produced by David Gates of Bread! Amazing how a guy whose later group was so pop-fluff and mellow could produce such a wild, Spector-esque girl-group track. But he did, and he really nailed it, too!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6fSk2nwl56U Take a listen to this spectoresque northern soul stomper ! The Carolines!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6fSk2nwl56U Take a listen to this spectoresque northern soul stomper ! The Carolines!
    Never heard of the song or group.....but, I LIKE IT! Spectoresque, indeed!

Me neither...just stumbled upon it!