[REMOVE ADS]

Bill, When Are You.....?

Does anyone know why the flip side to the Supremes "Up the Ladder to the Roof" has several name variances?

I've seen it as:

Bill, When Are You COMING BACK

Name:  s-l5001.jpg
Views: 392
Size:  26.0 KB
    Last edited by marybrewster; 02-02-2016 at 09:03 PM.

Bill, When Are You COMIN HOME

Name:  s-l500.jpg
Views: 389
Size:  26.9 KB
    Last edited by marybrewster; 02-02-2016 at 09:08 PM.

Bill, When Are You COMING HOME

Name:  s-l1600.jpg
Views: 386
Size:  89.6 KB
    Last edited by marybrewster; 02-02-2016 at 09:07 PM.

Mary, that was just a typing error. The title was "Bill, When Are You Coming Back". I've seen artwork mock ups of albums that were later released at Hitsville before it opened as a museum to the public and I could see how some errors were made on them that were later corrected. I remember on Mary Wilson's 12" single "Red Hot" in small letters it read from the album "Mary Martin". LOL!!!

Variation in name

I've always assumed it must have been a typing error.

When I first bought this single [[long after it had been a hit), I was totally stunned by both sides. The US version is better - in my opinion - than the UK version. This is due to the pressing - the US one is much more powerful, exciting and leaving me wanting more from the Supremes, whereas the UK pressing was clean, and quite clinical.

I think that this side - Bill, when are you coming back - was the trigger for me to really get into the 70s Supremes in a big way. On the LP, it was followed by 'The loving country' which was just wonderful.

Jean's vocals on both of these tracks [[Up the ladder to the roof and Bill, when are you coming back) just fantastic. I don't know if the Supremes ever performed 'Bill, when are you coming back' in concert.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    Bill, When Are You COMIN HOME

Name:  s-l500.jpg
Views: 389
Size:  26.9 KB
    For some reason Motown did not issue the single with a picture record sleeve in the U.S.

I always thought this was wasted as a B side. It could so easily have been an A side along with "the loving country" both in my opinion stronger than "egtrtl" but it is perhaps best I don't het get started on this subject!

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    I always thought this was wasted as a B side. It could so easily have been an A side along with "the loving country" both in my opinion stronger than "egtrtl" but it is perhaps best I don't het get started on this subject!
    I agree about "Bill..." being strong enough to be an A side and being stronger than "egtrtl".
    I'm not sure that "The Loving Country" would have been commercial for the time.

Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    I agree about "Bill..." being strong enough to be an A side and being stronger than "egtrtl".
    I'm not sure that "The Loving Country" would have been commercial for the time.

It was played like it was an A-side in Detroit and in Toledo in early 1970.

Loving country would have been perfect per peace and love at that time and 5th Dimensionish song. And all the ladies spotlighted some.