[REMOVE ADS]

Aretha Sings the 70's Supremes

I just discovered Aretha's version of "The Sha-La Bandit".

I know she's the Queen of Soul, but all that hootin' and hollerin' is a bit over the top.

Scherrie - 1 Aretha - 0

Mary, you're hilarious! Ree's version is actually the first one I'd ever heard; it got at least regional airplay in my area during my youth.

Aretha's was the first version I heard as well. Listening to it now, she sounds rather horny. But I still like it better than the Supremes' version.

I never knew Aretha recorded this song. Actually the key seems too high for her at times. And of course they disco'd it. I like the Supremes version better, they did it straight in an almost country feel.

I always wanted to hear Scherrie Payne try "[[Sweet Sweet Baby)Since you've been gone".

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    I just discovered Aretha's version of "The Sha-La Bandit".

I know she's the Queen of Soul, but all that hootin' and hollerin' is a bit over the top.

Scherrie - 1 Aretha - 0

If you grew up in the Baptist Church you would have a greater appreciation for what you describe as "hootin' and hollerin' ". Your lack of feeling for this type of singing is not just a matter of taste. It is a distinct difference in culture and not having experienced Sunday mornings in the Black Baptist Churches of America. Aretha's style of singing is preferred there over all others.

All of them seemed to like the song or they would not have recorded it. I never cared for the song because the lyrics sounded hokey. LOL
    !

The lyrics are pretty silly but I really like the music and each singing. I sound like I'm rating a record on Bandstand ! Lol

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    The lyrics are pretty silly but I really like the music and each singing. I sound like I'm rating a record on Bandstand ! Lol

I know! Doesn't it sound like a bad episode of American Bandstand? hehehehehehehehehehe,...........

I always thought Aretha recorded this first, but whoever did it first I am with the Supremes.
    The song itself is no classic and the lyrics are naff but I like how all three girls get a chance to share the limelight. I can understand why it was initially not released.

Blue rock..are u in UK? What does naff mean? Lol

Luke, oh don't be DAFF! LOL!!!

Lol. I'm bloody daff and naff!

Yes I am Luke!! It means silly, stupid, infantile etc etc!!

Uh oh. I take it back. Lol

Uh oh. I take it back. Lol
    Luke you must clean your box out NOW LOL!!!

Lol. I'm bloody daff and naff!
    See you watched Coronation Street, you would know all this stuff, hehehehehehehhe........

Is that a show ?? I watch Downton Abbey!! Hail Hail cilla Black and Sandie Shaw!

Is that a show ?? I watch Downton Abbey!! Hail Hail cilla Black and Sandie Shaw!
    Is that a show? It is the World's longest running Soap Opera first airing in Nov. 1960 onto today! LOL!

I prefer Ree's version over the Supremes'. When I heard the Supremes' version, I was aghast at the sound. As Marv said, just hokey as h*ll lol

Whereas Aretha had the right intention for this song lmao

OMG. And I'm part Englsh! I will be kicked out of the Realm!!

I believe the orginal of The Sha-La Bandit was by neither The Supremes or Aretha, but actually by Delores Hall - a single on RCA in 1973 [[which I still have somewhere) two years earlier. Here it is:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfeVCPcD0cI
    Last edited by alanh; 01-22-2016 at 01:49 PM.

I still prefer The Supremes versions... the original from "At Their Best" and the alternate takes, including the one with all three taking lead on a verse.

Quote Originally Posted by alanh View Post
    I believe the orginal of The Sha-La Bandit was by neither The Supremes or Aretha, but actually by Delores Hall - a single on RCA in 1973 [[which I still have somewhere) two years earlier. Here it is:
    Good call! Thank you for sharing this!

I always thought the Supremes version was very "retro"; a throwback to the 1950's. I imagine seeing MSC in poodle skirts.....which then breakaway into mini dresses for "He's My Man", LOL!

I did not know that! Tell me, is her version contained on the same album with her early Luther duet?

Sandra Wright
    did a great version, too :

Yes you're right sansradio. The duet 'Who´s Gonna Make It Easier For Me' is on her 'Hall-Mark' album along with 'Bandit'. ......and I didn't know that until I looked it up after your query!

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    See you watched Coronation Street, you would know all this stuff, hehehehehehehhe........
    Yes indeed. Corrie [[as it is affectionately known over here) is a great way to learn the English slang words.

I like Aretha's better. I feel the groove on that one...plus Ree makes it abundantly clear what his "sha la la" is.

Delores very good. I can't understand Aretha words at times.

Thanks for the thread Mary Brewster. I just bought Sandra Wright's version. I enjoyed all of them. What album is Aretha's from?

I just noticed that The Tymes sing it as well. It's a slower version, but you can understand all of the lyrics.

Quote Originally Posted by drlorne View Post
    Thanks for the thread Mary Brewster. I just bought Sandra Wright's version. I enjoyed all of them. What album is Aretha's from?
    Her "You" album, released in 1975.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Her "You" album, released in 1975.
    I am amazed that so many people recorded this song! It sounds just right for 1974 radio. I remember reading that they were also recording "The Shoop, Shoop Song" around the same time. Anyone heard it?

W O W!! Thanks gang for info about other versions of this song. First one I heard was Ree's which I STILL love....but the Sandra Wright and Delores Hall versions are also incredible!! Already had Ree's and the Tyme's versions on the ipod..these two will be joining them shortly!!

Quote Originally Posted by LuvHangOva View Post
    W O W!! Thanks gang for info about other versions of this song. First one I heard was Ree's which I STILL love....but the Sandra Wright and Delores Hall versions are also incredible!! Already had Ree's and the Tyme's versions on the ipod..these two will be joining them shortly!!
    This also came up in my iPod. I had no idea The Tymes had recorded it.

http://youtu.be/bVUJMZ9qkMY

Yes you're right sansradio. The duet 'Who´s Gonna Make It Easier For Me' is on her 'Hall-Mark' album along with 'Bandit'. ......and I didn't know that until I looked it up after your query!
    Much appreciated, alanh...sorry for delay; just back from my blizzard getaway!