[REMOVE ADS]

Diana Ross - Brown Baby/Save the Children [[1973)

I wish she would sing this again... uplifting social anthem[[s). Loved her interpretation of both songs.

Totally agree. Love it thanks. Haven't heard it in ages

Stupendous. One of her best ever.

It was a good one.

Top of her game. Back in the day, I remember playing the verse, "walk with your head held high" over and over. i wish she had gone into a more jazz flavored career.

A bit ironic because of the huge impact the Supremes had on the pop world and pop culture - that a couple of Supremes moved in the jazz area.

Diana's best selling album was the Lady Sings the Blues soundtrack, not the 1980 Diana. And Lady Sings the Blues and Blue are regarded as two of her best albums.

And Mary Wilson always admired Nancy Wilson and does her own jazz show.

Now you guys are starting to get into my favorite Ross songs. Oscar Brown and Marvin Gaye as songwriters I believe. Its been so long I may be incorrect........."Walk with your held HIGH"......Yeah she meant that line............

I always loved the medley of Brown Baby & Save The Children. What surprised me was finding Imagine & Save The Children on the Touch Me In The Morning Expanded Edition. I'm glad Imagine was used as its own song and Brown Baby/ Save The Children were combined for the medley. It really closes out what I think is one of Diana's finest albums.

I would love a standalone version of "Save The Children." Of course, the medley is epic and I love it. But I was thrilled to get the standalone of "Brown Baby." STC must be out there somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy View Post
    I would love a standalone version of "Save The Children." Of course, the medley is epic and I love it. But I was thrilled to get the standalone of "Brown Baby." STC must be out there somewhere.
    A standalone version of Diana's "Save The Children" was released as B-side of the 45 single "Last Time I Saw Him"
    Name:  diana_ross-last_time_i_saw_him_s.jpg
Views: 824
Size:  44.7 KB

Must pull this out and listen to these again! Right now!

This kind of material really suits Diana's voice. It's a cohesive sounding album, and the songs have depth and meaning. The quality of singing on songs such as "Brown Baby/My Baby My Own" amazed me when first heard. It's a shame that the studio album that followed [[LTISH) was such a confusing mishmash of styles. With songs not used from the "Blue" and "Baby" sessions, Motown had the potential to have produced yet another classic.

When the expanded edition of Touch Me In The Morning came out, I was pleasantly surprised to hear the alternate version of "Leave A Little Room" -- in the liner notes, Deke Richards explains that he added background vocals to provide "icing to the cake", but to me the backing vocals are too bombastic, although that was fashionable in the early 1970s.

I have always thought it was very sad that the LADY SINGS THE BLUES CD has never been remastered and re-issued in some expanded edition. I'm sure there's some legal mumbo jumbo, but the fans have missed out on a wonderful opportunity.

Thought I found the standalone version on YouTube but someone just edited out the Brown Baby medley lol