[REMOVE ADS]

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    Mary, Jean & Lynda were a great vocal unit for the short time they were together. I love Lynda's voice on Stoned Love [[not the lead version but the one in Japan though that version was too fast lol).

Quote Originally Posted by daviddh View Post
    To Marv , or who ever can answer this. did the Supremes ever perform AUTMATICALLY sunshine?? I always liked that song. I assume this is when Cindy was out and Lynda was in or they could have been in UK touring.
    the ladies did some great stuff in the 70s. they should have stuck to their own material but I realize they had little to say about it.
    Yes they did. They performed it on UK TV. It wasn't on TOTP but I cannot for the life of me recall what variety show it was. They wore blue dresses if I recall correctly. Let me ask someone who may know.

Bluebrock,

Jean, Mary and Lynda did appear on TOTP in April 1973 performing "Bad Weather". I don't recall seeing the ladies on any other UK TV show at that time so I don't know what the variety show was to which you refer.

Ivor

yes I have the LIVE IN JAPAN cd and and love their harmony...but I just have never seen a video of them performing it.

strange Mary never invited Flo back in the 70s

they were a great unit for while, great harmony and Lynda put some spice back in the vocals that wasn't there since Florence left.
    Up The Ladder To The Roof is still a favorite of mine, it was so fresh sounding. I think it still holds up. Stoned Love was great and had that Motown sparkle, I do think Nathan Jones was under rated,in my opinion. Floy Joy was good. but after that ,the hits were less frequent.....for everyone. even DR had only a few hits.

Well considering that Berry Gordy still owned Motown, it would have been very difficult.

Mary wrote she thought about it but felt Florence's problems weren't resolved, especially when Flo visited her in California .

Well remember when Mary said she invited Florence onstage to perform with her, Scherrie and Cindy and she played tambourine but didn't wanna sing because her "heart wasn't in it"?

I guess the Motown thing made it difficult for her to officially reunite if she wanted to but Florence, from what I gather from her last interviews, was alright being solo and rather remember the memories than go back and reunite as a Supremes member. It just wasn't in the cards for her.

The Supremes never lacked for talent, that is for sure. It was a curiosity that someone as talented as Jean Terrell with a number of top 10 and top 40 hits on her hand never went further after leaving the group. She certainly had the pedigree as the lead singer of the Supremes. I am sure record companies had interest but I think like Florence lacked drive even if they had the talent. I know Diana Ross and Mary Wilson both have a tremendous amount of drive and that is why both are still doing what they love. Susaye Greene has written songs, has photos and art as well as her singing, Scherrie Payne writes songs, plays, sings solo with the FLOs and TourDeForce and Lynda Laurence also sings with the FLOs. I don't know her but I am sure if Jean Terrell really wanted to perform and be out there making her mark, she certainly would be able to.

Quote Originally Posted by Laserdk View Post
    Bluebrock,

Jean, Mary and Lynda did appear on TOTP in April 1973 performing "Bad Weather". I don't recall seeing the ladies on any other UK TV show at that time so I don't know what the variety show was to which you refer.

Ivor
    Yes they did Laserdk. I remember this performance but JML also performed "automatically sunshine" on a different show. It could have been any number of shows such as Lulu, Cliff Richard, Wheeltappers and Shunters etc etc. It was definitely not TOTP because the song had peaked by then, and I am not getting mixed up with the girls appearance on Cilla Black performing two songs inc "Nathan Jones" - that was JMC. I watched it with my friend and his elder brother who was a huge Supremes fan. They performed it live as I recall.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Well considering that Berry Gordy still owned Motown, it would have been very difficult.
    Gordy would not have allowed this even if Mary had wanted Flo to rejoin, but poor Flo God Bless her was in no fit state to do this and Mary knew it.

after you verbally attack and try to humiliate the head of your record label, it's not likely he'll take you back.. and as justified as she might have felt she was, other record label heads back then would not be in a rush to sign her and possibly experience the same things..

Quote Originally Posted by Jimi LaLumia View Post
    after you verbally attack and try to humiliate the head of your record label, it's not likely he'll take you back.. and as justified as she might have felt she was, other record label heads back then would not be in a rush to sign her and possibly experience the same things..
    I take your point on board. No-one would touch Flo because of her past behaviour. It is sad for me to have to agree with you on this one. She was damaged beyond repair.

Berry Gordy was not one to cross and has, or at least believed he had the power to abruptly end careers if you crossed him and he chose to do so...I know from firsthand sources about an incident in the 80's with a former major Motown star [[whose name I won't mention here), who walked out on a rehearsal because she was upset that another vocalist was singing one of HER signature songs on a television show that she was also participating in. Mr Gordy tracked her down and told her that if she didn't return to rehearsal IMMEDIATELY, she would never work in the business again ...She returned...

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    Yes they did Laserdk. I remember this performance but JML also performed "automatically sunshine" on a different show. It could have been any number of shows such as Lulu, Cliff Richard, Wheeltappers and Shunters etc etc. It was definitely not TOTP because the song had peaked by then, and I am not getting mixed up with the girls appearance on Cilla Black performing two songs inc "Nathan Jones" - that was JMC. I watched it with my friend and his elder brother who was a huge Supremes fan. They performed it live as I recall.
    Sorry Bluebrock, not sure why I got "Bad Weather" and "Automatically Sunshine" mixed up there. However, I would love to have seen the ladies perform "Automatically Sunshine" live on whatever UK show as I never knew they had done so and I'm peeved that I missed that one. I do remember seeing the ladies perform "Nathan Jones" on Cilla Black's BBC1 show and around the same time, in October/November 1971 I remember Jean being a judge on the annual [[and awful) "Miss World" show which the BBC used to air.

Ivor

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Well remember when Mary said she invited Florence onstage to perform with her, Scherrie and Cindy and she played tambourine but didn't wanna sing because her "heart wasn't in it"?

I guess the Motown thing made it difficult for her to officially reunite if she wanted to but Florence, from what I gather from her last interviews, was alright being solo and rather remember the memories than go back and reunite as a Supremes member. It just wasn't in the cards for her.
    When Mary invited Florence onstage during visit with her in California, that was in 1974. The following year, she knocked the audience out in Detroit performing for a Joan Little [[Remember her?) benefit concert in which she sang "Come See About Me" and "I Am Woman".

Well Diana Riss slapped him across the face and she continued! Florence threw a drink in his face after being tormented on how she looked fat. And Florence was doing much better right before her death. She got standing ovation at that Detroit benefit and was getting offers for work. It's impt not to forget this and how hard she fought to come back personally and professionally!!
    Last edited by luke; 01-07-2016 at 05:57 PM.

Florence's comeback was just starting when she died...

When Mary invited Florence onstage during visit with her in California, that was in 1974. The following year, she knocked the audience out in Detroit performing for a Joan Little [[Remember her?) benefit concert in which she sang "Come See About Me" and "I Am Woman".
    The woman who killed a security officer for trying to rape her... she's a champion.

Diana Ross slapped him across the face AFTER she had become DIANA ROSS.. Florence was a Supreme, she was not a proven commodity beyond that, and was not behaving in a manner of 'playing the game', which is part of the business.. she challenged Gordy to go after him and expose him about lord knows what.. they were not equals.. He Was The Employer.. that applied to Ross as well, he was
    THE BOSS", not her..she did as she was told, in the boardroom and apparently in the bedroom, as they had a daughter ..for most of us who have been employed, challenging and threatening your boss generally does not have a good outcome, and wont look good on your resume. I wish Flo had 'played the game', waited for Ross to leave, and stepped up, I truly do..but she didn't..

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Well Diana Riss slapped him across the face and she continued! Florence threw a drink in his face after being tormented on how she looked fat. And Florence was doing much better right before her death. She got standing ovation at that Detroit benefit and was getting offers for work. It's impt not to forget this and how hard she fought to come back personally and professionally!!
    True! Florence was no quitter and forget all that BS Diana Ross said after Florence's death about maybe she should have slapped Florence and woke her up.....yada, lie , yada, lie, yada. She said that.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    The woman who killed a security officer for trying to rape her... she's a champion.
    Score 500 points for Midnightman! You do know your stuff!

Lolol tads yada yada lie. That slouch Florence started the group that made Motown millions and gave Diana a career!

and your solution to this problem is???

OK, guys, we were really having a good discussion, don't mess this up now!!!

Score 500 points for Midnightman! You do know your stuff!
    Haha... yeah. I wonder if someone saved audio from that concert. I'd love to hear Flo sing "I Am Woman"...

This conversation seems to be springing a few leaks. Tighten it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Laserdk View Post
    Sorry Bluebrock, not sure why I got "Bad Weather" and "Automatically Sunshine" mixed up there. However, I would love to have seen the ladies perform "Automatically Sunshine" live on whatever UK show as I never knew they had done so and I'm peeved that I missed that one. I do remember seeing the ladies perform "Nathan Jones" on Cilla Black's BBC1 show and around the same time, in October/November 1971 I remember Jean being a judge on the annual [[and awful) "Miss World" show which the BBC used to air.

Ivor
    No worries Ivor. It was several years too early for me to have a VHS and I was only a kid anyway. To be honest it was just before I really got in to Motown. My friends elder brother was a big Motown fan and my friend and myself began playing his records when he had gone out on a Saturday night, but on this particular occasion he had stayed in especially to watch the girls on whatever show it was. I recall thinking how beautiful Lynda looked, and my friends brother said she was the newest member.
    Sorry I cannot recall anything else. Sadly my friends brother passed away a few years ago. He was an authority on Motown and would have been able to tell me more. My friend also recalls the performance but cannot remember anything more than I can. Most frustrating!

RossHolloway Guest
    Does anyone know the number of solo tracks Jean recorded in '69 before she officially became a Supreme?

Quote Originally Posted by RossHolloway View Post
    Does anyone know the number of solo tracks Jean recorded in '69 before she officially became a Supreme?
    Weren't there a a couple of songs on Right On that she recorded on here own?

Quote Originally Posted by detmotownguy View Post
    I believe so.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimi LaLumia View Post
    It was lucky ABC Records signed her but because she wasn't allowed to exploit her Motown history, there was almost no chance Florence was gonna really have a successful solo career. Plus years of drinking and probably chain smoking also affected her voice at the time to the point that no one knew what to do with her, hence she was dropped. Also I think she was planning to sue Motown around the time her ABC contract expired in 1970, I believe?

Quote Originally Posted by detmotownguy View Post
    As far as I know, Up the Ladder to the Roof was initially a solo track but after she agreed to become the new Supreme, they added Mary and Cindy's vocals [[alongside other female vocalists who were not the Andantes) at a later date... I think anyway.

it seems the whole period from June - Nov 69 was undefined for jean. isn't June when she signed with motown? did she first sign a solo deal and then "resign" as a supreme? or did she only sign the solo deal and then was "placed" in the sups?

also when berry saw her in Miami, it seems like his intent all along was to put her in the group. i'd say that all of her recordings from Day 1 were "supremes" catalog. no different than the fact that M and C aren't on Is There A Place In His Heart for Me or other tracks. or how other vocalists were on DRATS recordings.

there are rumors of Syreeta doing a version of Ladder. anyone know of anything else? wonder if there were syreeta solo songs being done at this time that, had she joined the group, would have been added to a Right On lp . were other women ever really explored as replacements?

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    it seems the whole period from June - Nov 69 was undefined for jean. isn't June when she signed with motown? did she first sign a solo deal and then "resign" as a supreme? or did she only sign the solo deal and then was "placed" in the sups?

also when berry saw her in Miami, it seems like his intent all along was to put her in the group. i'd say that all of her recordings from Day 1 were "supremes" catalog. no different than the fact that M and C aren't on Is There A Place In His Heart for Me or other tracks. or how other vocalists were on DRATS recordings.

there are rumors of Syreeta doing a version of Ladder. anyone know of anything else? wonder if there were syreeta solo songs being done at this time that, had she joined the group, would have been added to a Right On lp . were other women ever really explored as replacements?

Jean Terrell signed with Motown Records ONLY to become a member of the Supremes. They had to sign her as an individual because the other Supremes were already signed to the label. They could not ripped up Mary and Cindy's contracts and then draw up new ones just to include Jean Terrell. Jean Terrell explained this in an interview. She never came to Motown as a solo artist.

Up the Ladder sounds like a song Syreeta would do... hmm...

Hey lets not go down the rumor path of who recorded what. Unless you have proof of what you're saying, then don't feed into what you might've heard.

But it's fun to discuss. Better than discussing who slapped who in 1979.

I'd rather hear who slapped whom instead of someone told someone else that so and so didn't record that song

^ Really? We've been fighting hard to avoid that though. That's what led to threads being closed because too much drama was going on. You sure you wanna go down that route into gossiping on people's personal lives [[again)?

I think Jean recorded several takes of Motown songs such as Standing Ovation .I think I read that RIGHT ON could have been a double album.maybe one day we will get that 70s lost and found collection

Loneliness is Such a Lonely Feeling
    That's How MUch You Made Me Love You
    sorry I cant remember the rest or who sang on what. the whole thing with the Andantees is to much ,lol. but I remember her saying during an interview they brought her to record to see how she would sound in the studio and how she would react with Mary and Cindy.

That would be great to get some unearthed songs from the Right On sessions.

I think Jean recorded several takes of Motown songs such as Standing Ovation .I think I read that RIGHT ON could have been a double album.maybe one day we will get that 70s lost and found collection
    Oh i do hope so! That would make my day, week, month, year!!

Loneliness is Such a Lonely Feeling
    That's How MUch You Made Me Love You
    sorry I cant remember the rest or who sang on what. the whole thing with the Andantees is to much ,lol. but I remember her saying during an interview they brought her to record to see how she would sound in the studio and how she would react with Mary and Cindy.

She also said she only recorded with Mary Wilson and Cindy Birdsong, no one else.

That's how much is def Mary and Cindy. Folks seem to forget that jean also sang background as well. Jean mentioned that there were an extra voice or 2 added to fill out the sound. As far as is there a place, that one is up in the air. I swear I hear Mary. I just switched the balance and listened to the right channel. Believe Mary's voice is there.

Florence had been continually humiliated at Motown per high school, her weight etc. thank God she stood up for her self to maintain self respect. I don't see how this is gossip. All has been documented in books about Motown. With copious footnotes/documentation. Wa not Jean referring mostly to jimmy Webb album per other voices. Frank Wilson love Mary and Cindys vocals and smokey brought Mary upfront.

Quote Originally Posted by blackguy69 View Post
    That's how much is def Mary and Cindy. Folks seem to forget that jean also sang background as well. Jean mentioned that there were an extra voice or 2 added to fill out the sound. As far as is there a place, that one is up in the air. I swear I hear Mary. I just switched the balance and listened to the right channel. Believe Mary's voice is there.
    I believe it is the Supremes singing backup on the Four Tops "Still Waters". I have yet to find a definitive answer, but it definitely sounds like them to me!

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Florence had been continually humiliated at Motown per high school, her weight etc. thank God she stood up for her self to maintain self respect. I don't see how this is gossip. All has been documented in books about Motown. With copious footnotes/documentation. Wa not Jean referring mostly to jimmy Webb album per other voices. Frank Wilson love Mary and Cindys vocals and smokey brought Mary upfront.
    Jean, Mary and Cindy recorded and sang together just like the original group did. Well all the groupings did except Mary, Diana and Cindy.