[REMOVE ADS]

Thumbs up Michael Jackson's Thriller Surpasses 30 Million Mark In U.S.

MICHAEL'S 30 MILLION

The King of Pop Breaks Another Record

Michael Jackson's Thriller, the biggest-selling album in history, has become the first album to top 30m in U.S. sales, the RIAA announced today [[12/16).

The certification takes the King of Pop’s worldwide tally for Thriller over 100m.

Recognized as the biggest album ever—except by the Bible, which thinks it's #3 behind The Sound of Music and 21—producer Quincy Jones and Jackson won a record seven Grammys for the album and its tracks, the album sat at #1 for 37 weeks and was certified 20x platinum two years after its release, a record.

Thriller also went to #1 throughout the world topping charts in the U.K., France, Italy, Canada and South Africa during apartheid. The video of the title track is the only music video inducted into the Library of Congress' National Film Registry in its 25-year history.

John Branca and John McClain, co-executors of the Estate of Michael Jackson, jointly stated “Michael opened the floodgates of his creativity, explored emotional depths and pushed the boundaries of sonic innovation. In the process, he breached destructive barriers in the music industry and literally united the world through his music: there isn’t a place on this planet that hasn’t been exhilarated by the music of Michael Jackson. 30 years after its release, Thriller continues to be a revelation."

"It is crystal clear that Michael Jackson is simply the greatest, and biggest artist of all time. Not only are his charts hits and sales stats staggering, but his pure musicality was other-worldly. Thriller was groundbreaking and electrifying...it was perfection," says LA Reid, Chairman & CEO of Epic Records. "I am extremely proud that Michael is the heart and soul of Epic Records and he will forever remain the one-and-only King of Pop."

“We are honored to celebrate the unique status of Thriller in Gold & Platinum history," said RIAA Chairman & CEO Cary Sherman. "What an exceptional achievement and testament to Thriller’s enduring spot in our hearts and musical history."

http://hitsdailydouble.com/news&id=298943

Since his death, since sales declined and Billboard opened its main chart to everything, Thriller generally stays in the Top 200 Album Chart all the time.

Nothing like dieing to ignite sales.

I wish it had been "Off The Wall". It's a much better album than "Thriller".

This a great achievement by the Greatest star Motown ever produced! Congratulations and you're still BAD Michael!
    Last edited by marv2; 12-17-2015 at 01:23 AM.

Sure is! I wonder how many sales for Tapestry, Eagles Greatest Hits and Saturday Night Fever.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Sure is! I wonder how many sales for Tapestry, Eagles Greatest Hits and Saturday Night Fever.
    I dunno but I just heard "Night Fever" on the radio in the car. Every time I hear it, it is 1978 all over again!LOL It stayed number one for like 8 weeks that Winter.

I second that
    Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post

Quote Originally Posted by alexstassi View Post
    I second that
    They are both magnificent albums and i cannot honestly say which i prefer. Everyone was at the top of their game and they are a testament to a truly unique performer.

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    The racist, anti-disco climate of the times wouldn't let Off the Wall be THIS great. Plus the fact MTV didn't exist when Off the Wall was out and it still sold eight million. That's how much of an impact Michael had, man.

SupremeBoy Guest
    Here's an interesting bit of information:

West Side Story is the soundtrack to the 1961 film West Side Story. Released in 1961, the soundtrack spent 54 weeks at No. 1 on Billboard's album charts, giving it the longest run at No. 1 of any album in history,[2] although some lists instead credit Michael Jackson's Thriller, on the grounds that West Side Story was listed on a chart for stereo albums only at a time when many albums were recorded in mono.

Well one thing for sure, I really doubt that anyone in the future will ever come even close to surpassing Michael Jackson's sales record as he was the ultimate crossover artist the likes we are not likely to see ever again.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    The racist, anti-disco climate of the times wouldn't let Off the Wall be THIS great. Plus the fact MTV didn't exist when Off the Wall was out and it still sold eight million. That's how much of an impact Michael had, man.
    You may say that, but what you also said contradicts your own opinion. Remember also that the album had five singles from it, if you include "Girlfriend", which charted in Europe.

^ Just the UK, it didn't do so well though so I don't think my statement is that much of a contradiction though I can understand how it sounds that way.