[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    More Marvin: Rare unreleased sleeve:
    Name:  252164976723.jpg
Views: 1288
Size:  23.9 KB

I enjoyed the Jr. Walker track - I like it better than the released version. Always nice to hear more Jr. Walker.

I Worry Bout You ended up on The Soulful Moods of Marvin Gaye album... and I've always loved it.

Quote Originally Posted by jack020 View Post
    I found this:
    http://www.collectorsfrenzy.com/deta...n_soul_Lp_HEAR
    Maybe some of the titles mentioned are in there?

You are viewing a 12" acetate of rejected and unissued tunes by Marvin Gaye.
    There is writing in pen on the label and sleeve that states "Berry Gordy Jr. does not like the tone content or masters."
    This was dated 10/18/65, which puts it around the same date as Marvin's 'A Tribute To the Great Nat "King" Cole' Lp which was released the following month.
    This acetate had 6 tunes on it, with lavish production, and elegant arrangements similar to those found on the 'Soulful Moods' and 'Tribute To The Great Nat King Cole' Lp. As far as I can tell, these tunes were unreleased?
    Song listing:
    "I Worry About You" [[does not play) "The End Of A Love Affair" [[does not play) "I Wish You Love" [[does not play) "So In Love" [[plays well but hangs up) "Violets For Your Furs" [[mostly plays well but hangs up) "Good Bye" [[plays well; VG or VG+ sound quality)

Acetate is in poor condition; I am selling it AS-IS, and I have recorded how it plays on my system, a Technics 1200, with a Shure N447 cartridge, which is very forgiving on records in poor condition. Your set-up may not perform the same depending on the type of cartridge, tonearm, settings, etc.
    the first 3 of the 6 songs on this one-sided acetate are flaking and chipping, and will not play at all.
    The last 3 are very touch-and-go, but still mostly play;
    Track #4 'So In Love' would possibly appeal to fans of the Belgian Popcorn sound. it plays fairly well, but hangs up during playback. An edit could be made in order to preserve this complete track, which to my knowledge and research on the web, has never seen the light of day.
    Track #5 'Violets For Your Furs' hung up several times as well, but could be mostly heard, and could be edited together in order to hear or release the complete tune.
    the last track "Good Bye" plays very well from beginning to end.
    I Worry Bout You ended up on The Soulful Moods of Marvin Gaye album... and I've always loved it.

soulwally,

"I Worry 'Bout You" ended up on the "Moods Of Marvin Gaye" album and not the earlier "The Soulful Moods Of Marvin Gaye" album.

Ivor

Quote Originally Posted by RossHolloway View Post
    Where did you find this information?
    www.dftmc.info

Don't forget The Motor City

Track listing is up on the bonus tracks/additional info ...

1 As Long As She Needs Me
    [[Lionel Bart)
    Note: from musical and film "Oliver"
    Produced by George Gordy, Johnny Allen
    Band track recorded at the Graystone Ballroom, Detroit on August 6, 1963, lead vocal added February 7, 1965

2 I've Got It Bad [[And That Ain't Good)
    [[Duke Ellington-Paul Webster)
    Produced by George Gordy, Johnny Allen
    Band track recorded at the Graystone Ballroom, Detroit on August 6, 1963, lead vocal added February 7, 1965

3 Baby Baby Come Home
    [[Clarence Paul-Morris Ervin)
    Produced by Clarence Paul
    Band track recorded September 17, 1964 and assigned to the Four Tops, Marvin’s lead vocal added January 18, 1965

4 All My Life
    [[William Stevenson-Clarence Paul-Marvin Gaye)
    Produced by William Stevenson, Clarence Paul
    Band track recorded January 27, 1965 and assigned to Ivy Jo, Marvin’s lead vocal added March 8, 1965

5 Say When [version 1]
    [[John Bristol)
    Produced by Harvey Fuqua
    Band track recorded May 13, 1965, lead vocal added May 16, voices added May 27, 1965
    Version 2 recorded 1966, and released on Motown CD 31452-0319 Love Starved Heart: Rare And Unreleased, June 21, 1994

6 The More I See You
    [[Mack Gordon-Harry Warren)
    Note: from film "Diamond Horseshoe"
    Produced by William Stevenson
    Recorded in New York August 10, 1965

7 I Wish You Love
    [[Charles Trenet-Leo Chauliac-Albert Beach)

8 The End Of A Love Affair
    [[Edward C. Redding)

9 Violets For Your Furs
    [[Tom Adair-Matt Dennis)

10 So In Love
    [[Cole Porter)
    Note: from musical and film "Kiss Me Kate"

11 If I Had To Go On Without You
    [[Morris Broadnax-Carnell Draw)

12 You're All That Matters To Me
    [[Carnell Draw-Morris Broadnax)

13 Good-Bye
    [[Gordon Jenkins)

14 Fanny
    [[Harold Rome)
    Note: from musical “Fanny”
    Produced by Marc Gordon, Hal Davis
    Band track recorded in California [[probably) January 1965, lead vocal added July 14, 1965

15 Dear Heart
    [[Jay Livingston-Ray Evans-Henry Mancini)
    Note: from film “Dear Heart”
    Band track recorded in California [[probably) January 1965, lead vocal added February 3 and July 14, 1965

16 Fly Me To The Moon [[In Other Words)
    [[Bart Howard)
    Produced by Hal Davis, Marc Gordon
    Recorded in California [[probably) January 1965

17 What's New
    [[Johnny Burke-Bob Haggart)
    Band track recorded in California [[probably) January 1965, lead vocal added February 5, 1965

18 All The Way
    [[Sammy Cahn-Jimmy Van Heusen)
    Note: from film “The Joker Is Wild”
    Band track recorded in California [[probably) January 1965, lead vocal added February 1 and 5, 1965

19 More [[Theme From “Mondo Cane”)
    [[Norman Newell-Riz Ortolani-Nino Oliviero)
    Note: from film "Mondo Cane"

20 Maria
    [[Stephen Sondheim-Leonard Bernstein)
    Note: from musical and film "West Side Story"

21 Where Are You
    [[Harold Adamson-Jimmy McHugh)
    Note: from musical "Top Of The Town"
    Band track recorded in California [[probably) January 1965, lead vocal added July 14, 1965

22 Quiet Nights Of Quiet Stars [[Corcovado)
    [[Gene Lees-Antonio Jobim)
    Band track recorded in California [[probably) January 1965, lead vocal added February 3, 1965

23 Emily
    [[Johnny Mercer-Johnny Mandel)
    Note: from film "The Americanization of Emily"
    Band track recorded in California [[probably) January 1965, lead vocal added February 1 and July 21, 1965

24 I've Got Your Number
    [[Carolyn Leigh-Cy Coleman)
    Note: from musical "Little Me"
    Produced by Harvey Fuqua, Johnny Bristol
    Band track recorded in New York November 4, 1965, lead vocal and instrumental dub-in November 11, 1965

25 On A Wonderful Day Like Today
    [[Leslie Bricusse-Anthony Newley)
    Note: from musical "The Roar Of The Greasepaint - The Smell Of The Crowd"
    Produced by Harvey Fuqua, Johnny Bristol
    Band track recorded in New York November 4, 1965, lead vocal added November 4, instrumental dub-in November 11, 1965

Produced by Harry Weinger, with assistance from Andy Flory and Keith Hughes
    Tracks 6, 11, 12, 14-21 and 23-25 mixed by John Morales, all other tracks original Motown mixes
    All tracks mastered by Seth Foster

All tracks recorded at Hitsville USA Studio, Detroit, except as otherwise noted
    All tracks previously unreleased
    Annotations by Keith Hughes, www.dftmc.info, with many thanks to Andy Flory

Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Laserdk View Post
    soulwally,

"I Worry 'Bout You" ended up on the "Moods Of Marvin Gaye" album and not the earlier "The Soulful Moods Of Marvin Gaye" album.

Ivor
    Ivor, you're totally correct. I should have got the title correct because I had the album. It was the second Motown LP I bought, after the Tempts' Greatest Hits. I bought it on UK Tamla Motown [[stereo) from a secondhand record shop in Northern Ireland while youth hostelling in 1967... and carried it around in my rucksack for the rest of the holiday!

Quote Originally Posted by wedgeville View Post
    www.dftmc.info

Don't forget The Motor City

Track listing is up on the bonus tracks/additional info ...

Produced by Harry Weinger, with assistance from Andy Flory and Keith Hughes
    Tracks 6, 11, 12, 14-21 and 23-25 mixed by John Morales, all other tracks original Motown mixes
    All tracks mastered by Seth Foster

All tracks recorded at Hitsville USA Studio, Detroit, except as otherwise noted
    All tracks previously unreleased
    Annotations by Keith Hughes, www.dftmc.info, with many thanks to Andy Flory

Wayne
    I've gone to DFTMC but do not see an area where the composite of this release is listed. I did note that titles are included in the full listing of Marvin Gaye recordings within Artists A-Z area.
    Wayne, do you have a "different" edition of DFTMC than the general public????

Quote Originally Posted by carole cucumber View Post
    I've gone to DFTMC but do not see an area where the composite of this release is listed. I did note that titles are included in the full listing of Marvin Gaye recordings within Artists A-Z area.
    Wayne, do you have a "different" edition of DFTMC than the general public????
    CAROLE - Here's the link.

http://www.dftmc.info/bonus/b-00.html

Carole - go to the 'Bonus Tracks additional material' section at the bottom of the menu page. You'll find track details for both of the new 1965 compilations there along with other 'unreleased' sets.

Keith - I think this is an appropriate point to thank you for all your fantastic work with DFTMC. It really is a treasure trove for us Motown fans. But even more so, in these days of digital only releases it is absolutely fantastic that we have somewhere to go and find out about the music. To listen to these unreleased compilations 'blind' is missing so much. Thank you for your stirling work.

You beat me to it lakedistrictlad while I was typing!

Yes I thank Keith as well..great work.

3 tracks from unreleased 1965 featured on Soulful Shack this week

Quote Originally Posted by lakedistrictlad1 View Post
    CAROLE - Here's the link.

Here's where the link takes me :

1963, 1964 & Dorsey Burnette

No 1965 or Marvin Gaye.

I'm the U.S.A. but it seems that those in the U. K. are able to access all the current issues under bonus material, while I am not????????

Is there anyone else in the U.S. who cannot access the latest additions?

I'm in the US and I can access it. Try these links ...

http://www.dftmc.info/bonus/b-04.html

http://www.dftmc.info/bonus/b-05.html

Go to the Dorsey Burnette listing and click NEXT. That brings up Motown Unreleased 1965. To get to the Marvin Gaye Unreleased click NEXT at the bottom of the Motown unreleased 1965 page.

The front page on the bonus material just needs updating.

Quote Originally Posted by booty View Post
    The front page on the bonus material just needs updating.
    Not necessarily ... I can see the main bonus page with the 2 new additions ...

RossHolloway Guest
    I had no problem getting to the links.

Strange. My copy of DFTMC is dated 16th December 2015 but only 1963, 1964 & Dorsey Burnette unreleased are showing on the front page of the Bonus Material section!

Quote Originally Posted by theboyfromxtown View Post
    Sadly no. There are only different mixes left of tracks already released. Unless something is there which has not been recorded on the paperwork. I can only sit and wait and hope!

For example, the second version of "[[We've Got) Honey Love" with a lead by Sandy was released after the Anthology. Not surprisingly, Cal chose her lead vocal for the Anthology version!
    John,

I've heard the Sandra Tilley lead version of "[[We've Got) Honey Love" but didn't realise it had been released. What compilation is that little beauty on please as it seems to have passed me by?

Ivor

Quote Originally Posted by soulwally View Post
    Ivor, you're totally correct. I should have got the title correct because I had the album. It was the second Motown LP I bought, after the Tempts' Greatest Hits. I bought it on UK Tamla Motown [[stereo) from a secondhand record shop in Northern Ireland while youth hostelling in 1967... and carried it around in my rucksack for the rest of the holiday!
    Soulwally,

What a great memory and almost as good as that actual album you carried around Northern Ireland in your rucksack. One of Marvin's very best albums, in my opinion of course.

Ivor

Quote Originally Posted by Laserdk View Post
    John,

I've heard the Sandra Tilley lead version of "[[We've Got) Honey Love" but didn't realise it had been released. What compilation is that little beauty on please as it seems to have passed me by?

Ivor

I doubt it passed you by Ivor.....Motown Treasures....NOT the Velvelettes ANTHOLOGY

IT's YOU dear.............and you have it wrong. The version on the Velvelettes Anthology is Cal.

Cal chose the versions to be used for this cd. She was as surprised as I was that Sandy had recorded a lead vocal.

Theboyfromxtown....

I'm thinking that, in the above post, you're responding not to Laserdk/Ivor, but to my own post - which I then deleted, when I saw you had already answered.

Re my comment in that post : "is it me, or just a temporary blip, but...." - yes, being able to view the link was indeed just a temporary blip for me....and I can now see/hear it.

I also said in the deleted post that the Sandra Tilley version is on the Anthology.

Although something did tell me it was on another release, I got out my Anthology copy and gave it a quick listen.

I'll believe you, although the lead voice isn't as immediately identifiable as Cal .....so I then checked it on DFTMC, which states it is Sandy's lead vocal on that Anthology version of '[[We've Got) Honey Love'.

So....DFTMC has incorrectly credited the lead vocals for '[[We've Got) Honey Love' on 'Motown Sings Motown Treasures' and 'Anthology'?
    Last edited by westgrandboulevard; 12-18-2015 at 05:42 AM.

Many years ago, a friend sent me several unreleased Motown songs on cassette and Sandy's version of WGHL was on it. But my friend credited it to The Elgins.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny_raven View Post
    Many years ago, a friend sent me several unreleased Motown songs on cassette and Sandy's version of WGHL was on it. But my friend credited it to The Elgins.
    Oh dear John......I hope you put your friend right!

Oh dear John......I hope you put your friend right!
    The second Motown Treasures was released, maybe 5 years after he sent it to me ...

Thx to all who posted kind words re DFTMC site. Hope everyone can see the new material now. We forgot to update the home page "latest version" date - have mentioned it to Ritchie. Yes, the site is wrong about where the different versions of "Honey Love" are available.

I doubt it passed you by Ivor.....Motown Treasures....NOT the Velvelettes ANTHOLOGY
    Oh thanks John, of course "Motown Sings Motown Treasures" is where Sandy's lead vocal version is. Honestly, I'm finding it a bit worrying on occasions where my mind is behaving like the proverbial sieve as some important facts don't readily spring to mind. Still, on a positive note I'm glad the "Motown Treasures" double CD set has come up in this conversation as it's a bloody good compilation and I've just turned it out to give it a long overdue spin at the weekend so thanks for that. And thanks to Keith for acknowledging the track information of DFTMC is incorrect in respect of these two versions by the mesmerising Velvelettes!

Ivor

Can someone send me the link to where I can find the song and recording info about these the tracks on this [[Motown Unreleased 1965) collection? Please....

RossHolloway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by mistercarter2u View Post
    Can someone send me the link to where I can find the song and recording info about these the tracks on this [[Motown Unreleased 1965) collection? Please....
    See post #65 above for links.

Seems like you guys got an excellent Christmas present in all this!

Is this a download? Where can I buy it? [[These Marvin Gaye tracks)

Only in Korea!

Yes, I am sure enjoying these cuts Motown '65 - ALL of them.
    By '65 Motown was really cooking! Love it!
    Ivy Jo is awesome! Love the Miracles MOR stuff with Micky Stevenson....
    Last edited by 762rob; 12-22-2015 at 06:11 PM.

motownjohnny:

This is supposed to be a collection of previously unreleased tracks from 1965, so is the version of "Funny How Time Slips Away" by Stevie Wonder different from the one released as the original B Side to "High Heel Sneakers" [[Tamla 54105) and also as the final track on side 2 of the "Recorded Live, The Motortown Revue In Paris" album [[Tamla 254)?

The Amazon website doesn't indicate this as being an alternate recording, so if it isn't, I'm surprised it's included in this set."

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++++++++++++++++

Tamla 254 is The Miracles Greatest Hits From The Beginning
    Tamla 267 is the Motortown Revue Live In Paris
    Last edited by 762rob; 12-24-2015 at 09:13 AM.

honest man Guest
    https://youtu.be/_G0LzgNtVhQ?list=PL...tt94SohD1M8X3m All on you tube as well as marvin 65,but will not play any offers to help out,cheers