2.While The City Sleeps — Spinners
    3.Til 12 O'Clock — Stevie Wonder
    4.Goodbye Eilene — Shorty Long
    5.My Precious Dreams — Brenda Holloway
    6.Stuck-Up — Oma Heard
    7.Just Your Love — Four Tops
    8.What Have I Done To Myself — Brenda Holloway
    9.Didn't I — The Hit Pack
    10.Can't Break The Habit [[Alternate Version) — Martha Reeves and The Vandellas
    11.Funny [[How Time Slips Away) — Stevie Wonder
    12.About My Baby — Stevie Wonder
    13.Stepping Closer To Your Heart — The Monitors
    14.Lucky Lucky Me — Ivy Jo Hunter
    15.Try A Little Tenderness — Smokey Robinson & The Miracles
    16.I Cried For You — Smokey Robinson & The Miracles
    17.I Like Everything About You [[Alternate Vocal Version) — Four Tops
    18.It — Little Lisa
    19.My Daddy Knows Best — Little Lisa
    20.It's Got To Be Love — Monitors
    21.Going To A Go-Go [[Alternate Version) — Smokey Robinson & The Miracles
    22.For Once In My Life — Connie Haines
    23.Baby You Know You Ain't Right [[Alternate Slow Version) — Jr. Walker & The All Stars
    24.Yesterday — Chris Clark
    25.Determination — Ivy Jo Hunter
    26.I Got Heaven Right Here On Earth [[Alternate Version) — The Temptations
    27.I Don't Want You Anymore — Chris Clark
    28.Can't Figure It Out — Lewis Sisters

Hey, thanks a bunch, johnny_raven and motown01! Amazon's got it, too! This is a classic example of why I love SDF/Motown Forum so much. It's the cool place to hang out where good news travels fast!

And available in the UK too. Great news and becoming our annual Christmas bonus!

Motown Unreleased 1965

£9.99 on Google Play, and 320kbps encoding .........

This is supposed to be a collection of previously unreleased tracks from 1965, so is the version of "Funny How Time Slips Away" by Stevie Wonder different from the one released as the original B Side to "High Heel Sneakers" [[Tamla 54105) and also as the final track on side 2 of the "Recorded Live, The Motortown Revue In Paris" album [[Tamla 254)?

The Amazon website doesn't indicate this as being an alternate recording, so if it isn't, I'm surprised it's included in this set.

And like the rest of the Motown Unreleased tracks, 1965 will probably be available to hear for free on YouTube before too long.

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    And like the rest of the Motown Unreleased tracks, 1965 will probably be available to hear for free on YouTube before too long.
    And now can be heard for free on Spotify.

Keith Hughes,

If the track listing isn't yet finalized for Motown Girls 3 ... please include Little Lisa's version of "My Daddy Knows Best" . I am just lovin' the arrangement and vocal backgrounds tremendously.
    Although the Marvelettes delivery is classic, the treatment of this number by Little Lisa, the Funks & Andantes is fantastic! It fells like an entirely new/different song.

Quote Originally Posted by backflipboy View Post
    Have you got a link for the 320 encoding. Is the wiz and Supes Xmas album there too..in the 320 format?

I realize that this is a busy time of year, but is there a target date for adding the annotations for Motown 1965 at DFTMC?

It's interesting that the Spinners ' selection placed between 2 Stevie Wonder song begins with the lead singing in a pitch that evokes Stevie voice at the time. Although it doesn't sound as if it would have been considered a strong contender for release as a single back in the day, i wonder if there would have resulted a lawsuit due to the opening's similarity to 'Since I Don't Have You' by the Skyliners.

Quote Originally Posted by carole cucumber View Post
    I realize that this is a busy time of year, but is there a target date for adding the annotations for Motown 1965 at DFTMC?
    Ask Keith if he's twiddling his thumbs with nothing to do! LOLOL

Stevie Wonder 12 oclock

I love this.....same band track as the Contours Jealousy is Creeping On Me

RossHolloway Guest
    Christmas arrived early this year! I can't wait to get home to download this collection. I think this is the shortest release yet in this series, I'm surprised there are no EVD, Marvin Gaye or Jimmy Ruffin in this collection, regardless, I'll take what I can get.

Quote Originally Posted by RossHolloway View Post
    Christmas arrived early this year! I can't wait to get home to download this collection. I think this is the shortest release yet in this series, I'm surprised there are no EVD, Marvin Gaye or Jimmy Ruffin in this collection, regardless, I'll take what I can get.
    There's no Velvelettes either....but I guess you noticed that! lol

Merci

But isn't it in the MP3 file type....that's what it says at the bottom

MotownJohnny:

This version of Stevie's "Funny ..." is a studio recording. The released [[45) version is live from the Paris show [[as is it's A-side).

JR

It's available on 7Digital as well:

https://us.7digital.com/artist/vario...released-1965/

xtown ...... click on the link, scroll RIGHT DOWN to the bottom, right hand side, file type MP3

All Google Music's MP3's are encoded at 320.

Is this the Supremes album the one you were looking for ?
    https://play.google.com/store/music/...3k2ku&hl=en-GB
    Last edited by backflipboy; 12-11-2015 at 07:38 PM. Reason: Additional Info

Quote Originally Posted by backflipboy View Post
    xtown ...... click on the link, scroll RIGHT DOWN to the bottom, right hand side, file type MP3

All Google Music's MP3's are encoded at 320.

Is this the Supremes album the one you were looking for ?
    https://play.google.com/store/music/...3k2ku&hl=en-GB
    Yes it was....does that mean it's CD quality if it's 320?

Hi Carole

I have the annotations almost ready to go, just need to check the mixing credits.

Motown Girls THREE? I think Motown Guys 2 might be ahead of that in the schedule! And there might be something else ahead of that one - there's some jostling at the starting gate at the moment, but I hope we'll be off and running with a new project in the next few days.

THEN I'll stop twiddling my thumbs ...

Keith

Quote Originally Posted by theboyfromxtown View Post
    Yes it was....does that mean it's CD quality if it's 320?
    No, 320 kpbs mp3 is lossy. CD quality [["lossless") is 16-bit/44.1 kHz.

I don't see it on 7Digital UK yet but it will come, and probably to Qobuz also.
    Last edited by calvin; 12-12-2015 at 06:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by calvin View Post
    No, 320 kpbs mp3 is lossy. CD quality [["lossless") is 16-bit/44.1 kHz.

I don't see it yet on 7Digital UK yet but it will come, and probably to Qobuz also.
    I thought so. Thank you Calvin

Quote Originally Posted by johnny_raven View Post
    MotownJohnny:

This version of Stevie's "Funny ..." is a studio recording. The released [[45) version is live from the Paris show [[as is it's A-side).
    JR
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 1568
Size:  21.1 KB
    I never saw a plastic DJ copy nor store stocker of that pairing. I'm sure there was never a substantial amount of them even getting to stores. It was scheduled, but probably cancelled before distribution, if not before pressing.

My standouts on this release are:

1. About My Baby--Stevie Wonder--If longer and more "complete" may have been a hit.
    2. Can't Break The Habit- Martha--Interesting alt. with "Supreme-like sound[[xylophones).
    3. Can't Figure It Out- Lewis Sisters--Their songs sound alike but have interesting melodies.

I like that they all have the classic Motown Sound...and two are original songs with no re-used backing track and the alt. one sounds like a different song almost..

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
Views: 1568
    I never saw a plastic DJ copy nor store stocker of that pairing. I'm sure there was never a substantial amount of them even getting to stores. It was scheduled, but probably cancelled before distribution, if not before pressing.
    It was pressed and stocked, but withdrawn quickly and the b-side was changed to "Music Talk" [[from what I've heard ...)

Name:  R-6510613-1420982615-7113.jpeg.jpg
Views: 1689
Size:  38.4 KB

Oh, that's how you insert a picture [[I do it so rarely).

the 2 Ivy hunter tracks are great
    suspect he cut a lot of his songs...almost demos but all great
    time for a CD on Ivy???

There's something for all motown fans this Christmas if we go looking a bit

True words, jobeterob ... keep looking, would be my advice ...

Quote Originally Posted by johnny_raven View Post
    Name:  R-6510613-1420982615-7113.jpeg.jpg
Views: 1689
Size:  38.4 KB

Oh, that's how you insert a picture [[I do it so rarely).
Views: 1477
    AMAZING! I looked through literally MILLIONS of US 45s during 1964-1972 and never saw it, and, now, today, I've seen 2 store stock pressings of it, from DIFFERENT pressing plants!!! That means they had at least 2 different press runs. I'd guess that only a few made it out of the distributors, similar to the Oma Heard and Patrice Holloway VIP releases, and "A Little More Love" by Kim Weston.

I had a stock copy of Kim Weston on Tamla once.

Quote Originally Posted by carole cucumber View Post
    It's interesting that the Spinners ' selection placed between 2 Stevie Wonder song begins with the lead singing in a pitch that evokes Stevie voice at the time. Although it doesn't sound as if it would have been considered a strong contender for release as a single back in the day, i wonder if there would have resulted a lawsuit due to the opening's similarity to 'Since I Don't Have You' by the Skyliners.
    And does it feature a unique lead from Billy Henderson. Or is it Bobby Smith singing in a higher register.
    But... to me it sounds like Richard Street in falsetto. Is it really A Monitors track?

Not much talk going on regarding this new set. Not sure why, but here's my opinion.
    It's shorter than the 63 and 64 sets - much shorter, so one has to ask "is there really not much left?". I was looking forward to the 65 set, but a little disappointed by the lack of tracks. Oh well, 28 is better than none.
    favourites for me...
    1, Temptations - I Got Heaven Right Here On Earth. So different to the David Ruffin version. And to think they said there was no more Eddie K mid 60s songs left.
    2, All the Stevie songs are good, but love the two with Clarence Paul. Both would have sat nicely on the Uptight LP. I have always liked "Funny How Time..." from the Live in Paris, but the studio version is much better.
    3, Two good Four Tops tracks. Love em both.
    4, Always like The Vandellas "Can't Break The Habit", and this version is just as good.
    5, Good efforts from The Hit Pack, The Monitors, The Spinners, Brenda Holloway "My Precious Dreams"and Chris Clark "I Don't Want You Anymore".
    6, Nice to see a Jr Walker track included.
    7, I'm not a big fan of the Lewis Sisters but to me this is one of the better tracks.
    8, Both the Little Lisa tracks are amusing. Love the backing tracks on both, but the vocals are a bit off putting.
    9, Going to a Go-Go is OK, but not a fan of the other two Miracles tracks.
    10, Good efforts from Ivy Jo, even if they sound like demos.
    11, Still debating on the Oma Heard track, but not too fond of the Connie Haines verion of "For Once In My Life".

Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by soulwally View Post
    And does it feature a unique lead from Billy Henderson. Or is it Bobby Smith singing in a higher register.
    But... to me it sounds like Richard Street in falsetto. Is it really A Monitors track?
    I thought it sounded like the Monitors too.

Quote Originally Posted by snakepit View Post
    I thought it sounded like the Monitors too.
    We couid have started something here Larry!. Hope you're well.
    I love Chris Clark's I Don't You Anymore - I can hear it turning an ear at a NS nite. Ditto Ivy Jo's two 'demos'. I also like the EK-led I Got Heaven..., Both Stevie/Clarence tracks, The Hit Pack's Didn't I [[I already knew the backing Track) and Lawrence's lead on I Like Everything About You.

Hello Soulwally
    Yes I'm well and hope that all is well with you.
    My first thought was Bobby Smith in a higher voice but then moved to Richard Street.
    I' m happy with all the tracks...The Miracles are what they are and I accept that.
    Love the band track to Little Lisa' s "it".... Would be great with a 'normal' song.
    Lawrence Payton on the Four Tops is nice..I wonder how many Levi leads were tried with alternate Lawrence takes.
    love Shorty Long but such a weird song...I wonder if it is a real life scenario, such an odd tale.
    I too love that Chris Clark...wonderful track
    Yes all in all a great collection IMO

The Hit Pack's "Didn't I" is infernally catchy, but why were the Staunton-Walker tracks always so short?

RossHolloway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by theboyfromxtown View Post
    There's no Velvelettes either....but I guess you noticed that! lol
    Yes, I did notice, but I've heard conflicting information about Velvelette tracks. After the release of their Anthology I recall reading that there were a few unreleased tracks left and were left off the anthology for other future releases. Then, I also heard that there were no other unreleased tracks from the group. And now that I think about it has there been any new unreleased tracks since the release of their Anthology?

Sadly no. There are only different mixes left of tracks already released. Unless something is there which has not been recorded on the paperwork. I can only sit and wait and hope!

For example, the second version of "[[We've Got) Honey Love" with a lead by Sandy was released after the Anthology. Not surprisingly, Cal chose her lead vocal for the Anthology version!

When we were doing the Spinners' set for Ace, I spoke to Bobby Smith and the one track he really wanted to hear was "While The City Sleeps". I promised him we'd try and find it and get it out one day. Kept the promise, but I'm sorry it was too late for Bobby to hear. It was the only track the Spinners cut in L.A. and yes, it's Bobby singing lead.

I don't greatly care for the Connie Haines version of "For Once In My Life" either, but I thought Universal should nail the copyright on this first-ever recording of the song which was to become the Motown publishing arm's biggest ever hit. If it hadn't come out now then it might never have been heard.

Wish this had been a CD with a booklet - so many stories to tell. Someone should dig through the Joe Hunter book and find the story he told about the Hit Pack's "Didn't I".

P.S. to wedgeville: as I tried to hint in my last post on this thread, you haven't been short-changed on 1965. Patience, please.

Quote Originally Posted by keith_hughes View Post
    When we were doing the Spinners' set for Ace, I spoke to Bobby Smith and the one track he really wanted to hear was "While The City Sleeps". I promised him we'd try and find it and get it out one day. Kept the promise, but I'm sorry it was too late for Bobby to hear. It was the only track the Spinners cut in L.A. and yes, it's Bobby singing lead.

I don't greatly care for the Connie Haines version of "For Once In My Life" either, but I thought Universal should nail the copyright on this first-ever recording of the song which was to become the Motown publishing arm's biggest ever hit. If it hadn't come out now then it might never have been heard.

Wish this had been a CD with a booklet - so many stories to tell. Someone should dig through the Joe Hunter book and find the story he told about the Hit Pack's "Didn't I".

P.S. to wedgeville: as I tried to hint in my last post on this thread, you haven't been short-changed on 1965. Patience, please.
    Keith: Thanks for the answer re the lead on While The City Sleeps. Straight from the horse's mouth, indeed. Towards the close Bobby really does do a Richard Street,

Quote Originally Posted by keith_hughes View Post

A second volume I hear you say? If that's the case then I am very happy...

Wayne

Perhaps an Ace Motown 65 CD release? Let's get physical.

Marvin Gaye Unreleased 65 coming on December 18th. Didn't have to look too far for that? 25 tracks in all, however, it looks more MOR than Motown. Essential buy though.

Wayne

RossHolloway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by wedgeville View Post
    Marvin Gaye Unreleased 65 coming on December 18th. Didn't have to look too far for that? 25 tracks in all, however, it looks more MOR than Motown. Essential buy though.

Wayne
    Where did you find this information?

I found this:
    http://www.collectorsfrenzy.com/deta...n_soul_Lp_HEAR
    Maybe some of the titles mentioned are in there?

You are viewing a 12" acetate of rejected and unissued tunes by Marvin Gaye.
    There is writing in pen on the label and sleeve that states "Berry Gordy Jr. does not like the tone content or masters."
    This was dated 10/18/65, which puts it around the same date as Marvin's 'A Tribute To the Great Nat "King" Cole' Lp which was released the following month.
    This acetate had 6 tunes on it, with lavish production, and elegant arrangements similar to those found on the 'Soulful Moods' and 'Tribute To The Great Nat King Cole' Lp. As far as I can tell, these tunes were unreleased?
    Song listing:
    "I Worry About You" [[does not play) "The End Of A Love Affair" [[does not play) "I Wish You Love" [[does not play) "So In Love" [[plays well but hangs up) "Violets For Your Furs" [[mostly plays well but hangs up) "Good Bye" [[plays well; VG or VG+ sound quality)

Acetate is in poor condition; I am selling it AS-IS, and I have recorded how it plays on my system, a Technics 1200, with a Shure N447 cartridge, which is very forgiving on records in poor condition. Your set-up may not perform the same depending on the type of cartridge, tonearm, settings, etc.
    the first 3 of the 6 songs on this one-sided acetate are flaking and chipping, and will not play at all.
    The last 3 are very touch-and-go, but still mostly play;
    Track #4 'So In Love' would possibly appeal to fans of the Belgian Popcorn sound. it plays fairly well, but hangs up during playback. An edit could be made in order to preserve this complete track, which to my knowledge and research on the web, has never seen the light of day.
    Track #5 'Violets For Your Furs' hung up several times as well, but could be mostly heard, and could be edited together in order to hear or release the complete tune.
    the last track "Good Bye" plays very well from beginning to end.