[REMOVE ADS]

Martha Reeves & Her Sisters Stranded In Britain

not suprised.heathrow is like a refugee camp,only one runway open 'till this afernoon,both are in use now.the terminals were full off people waiting and more and more kept coming but nobdy was able to fly so they ended up queueing outside in sub zero temps.they're lucky to be able to get a hotel room.all fully booked[[no stables out the back of these either!)
    and the possibillity of more snow wednesday,if you believe the fence sitting weather forecasters that is.
    even when it gets back to normal all cancelled flight passengers will be at the back of the queue [[again) and not going anywhere.

iconicpuff Guest
    Caterwauling Martha, Lily [[Whom?) Allen and Lady Gaga, a 54 year old drag artist, all stranded at Heathrow! I just hope they don't get together and 'serenade' the folk trying to sleep on the floor. Those poor people have already suffered enough!

topdiva1 Guest
    I spoke with Tony Turner, who is jetting to Bahrain for the holidays with his partner, THE COUNT- he said they where flying - Palm Beach, to Houston, Texas - then direct 15 hours to Bahrain due to the situation in London.

Poor Martha - surely she must be upset.

Marthas tough - shes seen it all from people trying to shoot her on a bus to her hometown being burned to the ground I expect she will cope more than most...

smark21 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by topdiva1 View Post
    I spoke with Tony Turner, who is jetting to Bahrain for the holidays with his partner, THE COUNT- he said they where flying - Palm Beach, to Houston, Texas - then direct 15 hours to Bahrain due to the situation in London.

Poor Martha - surely she must be upset.
    HOw glamourous and exciting for Tony Turner!

topdiva1 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by smark21 View Post
    HOw glamourous and exciting for Tony Turner!

Yes, Tony is glam indeed - Tony is also going to be in San Francisco with THE THREE DEGREES in January - how divine!!!

Does anyone know what Betty Kelley is doing these days?

Who is Tony?

Betty lives in California, is retired from business and does some charity work.

Just got a Christmas card from Betty and she stated she's fine and things are going well....didn't elaborate. Nice lady! She lives in southern California.

topdiva1 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Penny View Post
    Who is Tony?

Tony Turner - is long time Motown - Kid/Fan/Employee - who wrote - the much talked about and debated - ALL THAT GLITTERED MY LIFE WITH THE SUPREMES - AND - DELIVER US FROM TEMPTATION - THE TRAGIC AND SHOCKING STORY OF THE TEMPTATIONS AND MOTOWN. Both books where informative from his view - in an - as told too gossip style - almost elevating gossip to an art, like Truman Capote or Andy Warhol. Turner's Motown tales are either, loved, hated, envied, disbelieved, or enjoyed. Mostly slammed and dogged, to this day by die hard fans - who only want to hear the Cinderella version of The Supremes and Motown - Turner told his truth, and drove away in one of two Rolls Royces.

As a kid Turner was befriended by his AUNTIE MAME in the guise of FLO BALLARD of The Supremes - that's how Tony Turner found his way into the lives of many, at Motown, with Mr. Gordy naming him "cool cat".

Both of Turner's books where best sellers, and he made his way around the talk show, and gossip/tabloid TV circuit at the time. Very outspoken, grand and flamboyant - he is said to have the real goods on many at Motown. Yet somehow, he has remained in the fold - sometimes popping up on the road with The Temptations Review featuring Dennis Edwards - and visiting, here and there, with Miss Mary Wilson of Supremes fame, no doubt discussing or privately dishing, this and that. And maybe, he still enjoys these latter day stars favor, because of things he has not said.

Today, Tony Turner is more quiet, looks about 20 years younger than he is, and leads a cloistered private life here and abroad with his partner a 30 something year old spanish Count. Still VERY GRAND - VERY TONY TURNER.

That's who Tony Turner is.

Quote Originally Posted by tamla617 View Post
    not suprised.heathrow is like a refugee camp,only one runway open 'till this afernoon,both are in use now.the terminals were full off people waiting and more and more kept coming but nobdy was able to fly so they ended up queueing outside in sub zero temps.they're lucky to be able to get a hotel room.all fully booked[[no stables out the back of these either!)
    and the possibillity of more snow wednesday,if you believe the fence sitting weather forecasters that is.
    even when it gets back to normal all cancelled flight passengers will be at the back of the queue [[again) and not going anywhere.
    The snow must be really bad to leave Martha & her sisters stranded at some airport. I wonder why none of the UK Motown fans haven't gone to rescue them and at least take them home. Where are you John , Snakepit &
    Grapevine?
    Last edited by Kamasu_Jr; 12-22-2010 at 02:12 PM.

iconicpuff Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Kamasu_Jr View Post
    I wonder why none of the UK Motown fans haven't gone to rescue them and at least take them home.
    Fear of Martha shrieking a song and banging that tambourine has kept me from rushing to her rescue!

Oh wow! LOL

topdiva1 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by iconicpuff View Post
    Fear of Martha shrieking a song and banging that tambourine has kept me from rushing to her rescue!

Stop - that is just too much. Happy Holidays to all SDF in the UK

iconicpuff Guest
    Stop - that is just too much. Happy Holidays to all SDF in the UK
    Hopefully, unlike shrieking Martha, this UK SDeFfer won't be spending the holiday here and will be in Gran Canaria.

olamaebarto Guest
    Who is Tony?
    A fellow that wrote a book about The Supremes.

Topdiva knows him very well, I think she might be his press agent or something because she knows everything he does, drinks, eat and probably poops.

olamaebarto Guest

Today, Tony Turner is more quiet, looks about 20 years younger than he is, and leads a cloistered private life here and abroad with his partner a 30 something year old spanish Count. Still VERY GRAND - VERY TONY TURNER.

That's who Tony Turner is.
    You must have studied yoga.
    Last edited by olamaebarto; 12-22-2010 at 04:54 PM.

I dont think Deliver Us from temptations was a best seller book anywhere...

olamaebarto Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by nomis View Post
    It was in someone's little mind.

iconicpuff Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by nomis View Post
    Mayhap in Espana which is how he managed to capture the heart of his Spanish count.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamasu_Jr View Post
    The snow must be really bad to leave Martha & her sisters stranded at some airport. I wonder why none of the UK Motown fans haven't gone to rescue them and at least take them home. Where are you John , Snakepit &
    Grapevine?
    if you could get through the motorway system that would be a start! unfortunatly the m25 [[london orbital motorway) would not have been a"fully" open,and heathrow spur m4 [[to the airport) would've been a car park.the weather has eased a bit 'round there,thank god 'cos thats where i'm headed tomorrow!i'll be driving straight past the ramada front door.i dont think she who must be obeyed and my 2 youngest would be happy with me if i said i'm just pulling in there for a chat.not after being shoehorned into a car full ,cant see out of the windows full,of presents,cases,shovel,boots, thermos flask, emergency food, coats, blankets,for about 4/5 hours.i really hope there arent any problems on the roads,same trip took me 8 hours once.when they start "are we nearly there yet" i give 'em the sat nav to interogate!

I just ordered All That Glittered from Amazon.com. I haven't heard of this Tony before so I am anxious to read his book. Topdiva makes it sound like he leads a very exotic life. I am going to search tonight on the internet and see if he has a website.

That is too bad about Martha. I love Motown but have you heard Martha lately?

Merry Christmas to my new friends here at soulful detroit. It sounds like the moderator runs a pretty tight ship here so I'll try not to make him mad.

Penny

topdiva1 Guest
    I just ordered All That Glittered from Amazon.com. I haven't heard of this Tony before so I am anxious to read his book. Topdiva makes it sound like he leads a very exotic life. I am going to search tonight on the internet and see if he has a website.

That is too bad about Martha. I love Motown but have you heard Martha lately?

Merry Christmas to my new friends here at soulful detroit. It sounds like the moderator runs a pretty tight ship here so I'll try not to make him mad.

Penny

Warning. warning, warning - if you say anything even halfway nice about Tony Turner - some of the posters here will come after you with a sledgehammer. I met him this fall and interviewed him over a two different days, and locations in Florida. - I was going to post it here but the fans turned against me and always claim that I AM TONY TURNER.

It got so nasty and heated here that several threads regarding Tony Turner and his exploits got thankfully shut down by the moderator - who is very fair.

I found Turner to be very pleasant and fun to be around - I had not met him before - but did not hold anything against him for what he wrote in his books. He has been called everything in the book on this forum, most of it not nice.

I find it amusing that the fans hate him - while the very people he wrote about, sometimes very harshly - still welcome him with open arms.

Turner did write some very cutting and biting things about The Supremes and Mary Wilson in particular. They had once been like play sister and brother. Mary and Tony did not speak for about five years, but kissed and made up about eight years ago, like all sisters and brothers usually do, when there is true love involved. So why these fans still want to burn Tony Turner at the stake - is strange to me - none of them for the most part have ever met him - but he does make for good gossip - and that's the name of the tune here.

You been warned!!!! LOL

Thank you for the warning Topdiva. I thought selling Avon was tough!

topdiva1 Guest
    Thank you for the warning Topdiva. I thought selling Avon was tough!

Honey just wait - you'll see.

Martha Reeves was not pleased with Tony Turner either for a while - and referred to things he said in her book, DANCING IN THE STREET, but carefully without naming him. Martha wrote that Tony knew all about certain incidents because he listened at the doors at Motown, and yet she claimed he usually got it all wrong.

Enjoy All That Glittered - and give us your review - if you dare. LOL and Happy Holidays.

Europe has had a tough run of the snow. Martha said they won't leave until today. Hopefully they make it back home okay.

topdiva1 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by olamaebarto View Post
    It was in someone's little mind.

A man, posting his uneducated foolishness here and calling himself - OLAMAE - DON'T YOU LOVE CLOWNS??? LOL then roar!!!!!!!!!!!

Can we keep things on topic?

Why Baharain? I would think a muslim country would be the LAST place a gay couple would take a vacation. i'd be afraid someone would try to behead me or something.

And I always wonder why Motown topics get off topic after about three or five initial posts...

OK, so does anyone know if Martha did make it to Bert's in time?

Whether or not [[weather, or not...!) if anyone does get to speak to her, please wish her a very Merry Christmas, God Bless, and all the best of success in the New Year!

I am sure Martha and her sisters will be fine.

topdiva1 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jillfoster View Post
    Why Baharain? I would think a muslim country would be the LAST place a gay couple would take a vacation. i'd be afraid someone would try to behead me or something.

So, you think there are no gay musliums???? - DO NOT BELIEVE THE HYPE - and did I say VACATION - it could be that The Count and Tony have business connectione there.

Hoping that Martha Reeves and The Vandellas are back in the USA - enjoying the Christmas Holidays - Dancing In The Streets.