[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

"Nightflight" Tue Dec 8, 9P-12M ET: Andy and George...Live!

Howdy, Folks! Join me tonight on "Nightflight [[Tue Dec 8, 9P-12M ET at www.womr.org) for a very special show. I will be airing tracks from the new Universal release "Diana Ross Sings Songs From 'The Wiz'"...a previously unreleased collection created to follow her 1978 film "The Wiz", but sadly put in the vaults...until now. And I'll air the new Universal released "Merry Christmas...The Supremes-the Expanded Edition", including the mono and stereo versions as well as previously unreleased tracks. To make this show even MORE special...I will have the producers of these 2 albums...Andy Skurow and George Solomon...live on the air to discuss these remarkable releases. Andy's and George's visits to "Nightflight" are always fascinating...and FUN! See you on the radio...for a hellava show! Thanks! John
    PS...no phone calls tonight, please...but please post any questions you may have for Andy and George about these to terrific UMe releases. Thanks!
    Name:  Diana-Ross-The-Wiz-Lost-Album-e1447438044265.jpg
Views: 336
Size:  72.0 KB
    Name:  MXmas.jpg
Views: 350
Size:  67.3 KB

Great news! I have two main questions:
    1.) Why no digital booklets with Hi-Resolution releases?
    2.) What can we do as fans to keep these great Ross/Supremes releases coming?

Cheers and thanks so much...
    Last edited by ejluther; 12-08-2015 at 12:24 PM.

RossHolloway Guest
    Sounds like it will be a great show, I'll be sure to tune in for this one!

................................Name:  $_1.JPG
Views: 323
Size:  14.5 KB

can't imagine why they won't take phone calls..lol

RossHolloway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimi LaLumia View Post
    can't imagine why they won't take phone calls..lol
    I don't think MJ ever takes calls when he does interviews does he?

I know from past radio shows with George and Andy speaking from their home base of the NYC area, there are limited phone lines at the WOMR studios and they might not be able to get through or worse yet, disconnected. John, my question for Andy and George is "Is it my imagination but is the sax instrumental break on the mono version of "Merry Christmas" more funky/jazzy than the stereo version?" It took me years to track down the mono and stereo vinyl versions of this recording, and it's great to have them re-released. Thank you SO much Andy and George, for all the hard sleuthing work you do trying to uncover new surprises in tape boxes that may not always be accurately labeled. And John, where else can one hear these guys give us the back story to these releases. Kudos to you too for facilitating this!

John, in another thread on this site, ATTACH]10855[/ATTACH] jobeterob shared that the current Vogue Magazine features a piece on the 1978 film version of "The Wiz." The costume sketch that you posted above made me want to share a Vogue staffer's take on the one outfit that Ross wore throughout the film. I though the "school marm" look may have been an irritant to Diana who takes great care in the clothing she selects.

"Her ’70s-era Dorothy disposes of the blue-and-white country gingham pinafore worn by Judy Garland, replacing it with a demure ’70s ruffled purple blouse and flounce skirt that feels twee but not necessarily saccharine."

The article goes on to describe Ross' shoes as "Miu Miu–esque metallic block-heeled pumps." Who knew?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Mark Desjardines; 12-08-2015 at 07:25 PM.

RossHolloway Guest
    Midnight -
    Here are my questions for Andy and George;
    1. Were there any tracks from both these projects that didn't make the final cut?
    2. Any new discoveries, by either Ross or the Supremes, while researching and putting together these collections.
    3. Any news on Unreleased 1965?
    4 Are there any more unreleased Christmas tunes by any artists from the Motown Golden years?
    5. Would Andy or George happen to know the rationale behind using the Andantes on background rather than Mary and Florence?

heres a question from davidh from Baltimore...,is this Ross Royal Albert Hall dvd dead in the water???
    #2 whats left in the supremes Vaults. I hear everything is gone but live and Disney and 70s
    Last edited by daviddh; 12-09-2015 at 08:17 PM. Reason: misspelling

#1) what is the status of GO GO and Ross 78.
    #2) have you found other surprises like BLUE or ROSS SONGS THE WIZ that you can talk about. or is this all there is?
    #3) why are these releases always seemed to be clouded in mystery rather than stating {future release ...............coming spring 16}????

what about a 70s lost and found.....a d ross lost and found????

Hello John, George & Andy,

Really looking forward to the show.

First, a belated Congratulations to Andy Skurow on his HAL award!

I have a couple of questions for Andy & George:
    • What was the reason for the original release of the Wiz album being shelved ? I was working as a buyer for Peaches Records & Tapes in St. Louis and made sure it was on our order sheet as soon as we got the announcement from Motown in Oct 78. Then after the 1st of the year, nothing and the catalogue number was reassigned.

• Since Universal is no longer selling physical cds of the expanded editions through Hip-O Select or Amazon and putting everything available on downloading, can we get them to digitize the original booklets for the previous Expanded editions that are up for sale on iTunes and Amazon mp3 like There's A Place, Where Did Our Love Go, This Is The Story Etc. and include those booklets that are not currently there?

greg jones
    los angeles, ca
    Last edited by greg jones; 12-08-2015 at 09:44 PM.

happy hannakah to everyone, and yes congrats to Andy for your Hal award

...in the studio....a little early....see you in a few...y'all...thanks for the great questions!!!!
    And yes...some of you knew...no calls....I'm the only one in the studio to answer the phone....and I will already be on the phone with Andy and George....GOT IT, Jimi?

Quote Originally Posted by daviddh View Post
    happy hannakah to everyone, and yes congrats to Andy for your Hal award
    ....and to YOU, David!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Desjardines View Post
    I know from past radio shows with George and Andy speaking from their home base of the NYC area, there are limited phone lines at the WOMR studios and they might not be able to get through or worse yet, disconnected. John, my question for Andy and George is "Is it my imagination but is the sax instrumental break on the mono version of "Merry Christmas" more funky/jazzy than the stereo version?" It took me years to track down the mono and stereo vinyl versions of this recording, and it's great to have them re-released. Thank you SO much Andy and George, for all the hard sleuthing work you do trying to uncover new surprises in tape boxes that may not always be accurately labeled. And John, where else can one hear these guys give us the back story to these releases. Kudos to you too for facilitating this!
    Mark....thank you a WHOLE lot!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by RossHolloway View Post
    Sounds like it will be a great show, I'll be sure to tune in for this one!
    Hey there, RossHolloway!

Quote Originally Posted by ejluther View Post
    Great news! I have two main questions:
    1.) Why no digital booklets with Hi-Resolution releases?
    2.) What can we do as fans to keep these great Ross/Supremes releases coming?

Cheers and thanks so much...
    Hey there, Eric!!

Quote Originally Posted by greg jones View Post
    Hello John, George & Andy,

Really looking forward to the show.

First, a belated Congratulations to Andy Skurow on his HAL award!

I have a couple of questions for Andy & George:
    • What was the reason for the original release of the Wiz album being shelved ? I was working as a buyer for Peaches Records & Tapes in St. Louis and made sure it was on our order sheet as soon as we got the announcement from Motown in Oct 78. Then after the 1st of the year, nothing and the catalogue number was reassigned.

• Since Universal is no longer selling physical cds of the expanded editions through Hip-O Select or Amazon and putting everything available on downloading, can we get them to digitize the original booklets for the previous Expanded editions that are up for sale on iTunes and Amazon mp3 like There's A Place, Where Did Our Love Go, This Is The Story Etc. and include those booklets that are not currently there?

greg jones
    los angeles, ca
    Hello, Greg.....!!!!

Andy, don't forget my BLINKY question please. Stayed up just to make sure that my PC was actually recording as last time it went AOWL. Thanks. Hi to John, Andy & George from Bonnie Scotland

Quote Originally Posted by midnight johnny View Post
    Hello, Greg.....!!!!
    My statement isn't a question; it is a sincere thank you to Andy and George for their incredible work, and for keeping this legacy alive. Thank u so very much!!!

we're off to a good start , just need a glass of wine and more supremes. I take it there is no other lost supremes Christmas songs, darn!
    anyone know how Flo got to do two leads but none for Mary

And what might their names be? Andy, George & John? Diana, Mary & Flo?
    Louvain, Jackie & Marlene?

Name:  kitties.jpe
Views: 279
Size:  5.2 KB

so good to hear Andy's voice. it's been too long

I do like the booklets and timelines that they did

will there ever be a Motown remixed cd ???I have suggestions

To add some questions to what is currently being talked about:

• Since all 3 of you are in the music industry and have very wide variety of tastes, I am sort of curious as to what size Your music collections are since you have a little more access getting the items that are released. This would be CD's vinyl, tape & downloads. Do you still collect some vinyl as well ? Or usually get rid of vinyl if you have it a digital format.

• Andy & George, what were the 1st Supremes or Diana reissues that You worked on ?

• George has talked about how he was started listening to and buying the Supremes music around the time of the Where Did Our Love Go original release. Andy, when did start listening to the Supremes and what was your 1st Supremes or Diana purchase ?

yeah supremes GO GO 50th next year

Yes it was on a 2 fer with Stevie Wonder's "Someday at Christmas".

Merry Chstmas cd was not a 2fer....fyi I don t think....oops I have been proven wrong.sorry
    Last edited by daviddh; 12-09-2015 at 08:18 PM.

Merry Christmas 1st time on CD was a 2-for-1 with Stevie Wonder's Someday At Christmas

Hi to "the boys"! Happy HOlidays!

My question re: "The Children's Christmas Song": is there any notation on the original "Merry Christmas" masters as to who makes up the children's choir on background? Is it truly Joy, Berry, and Terry? Or perhaps the children of the Andantes?

Yes, Merry Christmas was paired with Stevie Wonder MCD08041MD...I have it...then it was a single, I have it...then 1999, I have it...now download, I have it

I have never seen a mono release other than the original...I have 2 copies original mono...2 copies original stereo...1 copy natural resources and 2 copies reissue

Oh, and reissue cassette...but, alas, no 8-track or reel-to-reel

Quote Originally Posted by daviddh View Post
    Merry Chstmas cd was not a 2fer....fyi
    Attachment 10860

A 2fer with Stevie Wonder.

A U.K. issue....

Attachment 10861

Name:  319-V5guCxL.jpg
Views: 284
Size:  9.6 KB

A U.K issue

Here's the 2-fer

Name:  41Evo9Gu2aL.jpg
Views: 305
Size:  19.6 KB

But Kevin did mix the two unreleased tracks #3"Silver Bells" [[Alternate Version) & 33 "My Favorite Things" [[Live At The Copa)

is Diana ross solo ROSS album the last solo lp to get the deluxe edition

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post

My question re: "The Children's Christmas Song": is there any notation on the original "Merry Christmas" masters as to who makes up the children's choir on background? Is it truly Joy, Berry, and Terry? Or perhaps the children of the Andantes?
    Louvain Demps said [[on Nightflight) that it was the Andantes themselves. They had been instructed to sound like children for that part of the recording.

Hi John. What a fabulous show!! Unfortunately, I caught a case of the whisky flu at Happy Hour and will have to miss the show, but I'm recording it so I won't miss it. Catch you next week. Have a great show!!
    Last edited by texassoul; 12-08-2015 at 10:55 PM.

Here's the book, Andy

Name:  51ixYmmllBL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
Views: 279
Size:  44.7 KB

"The Happiest Millionaire" was Walt Disney's last film. Yes, it was obviously made to top "Mary Poppins" and yes, like many late-sixties musicals, it flopped at the box office. But the fact remains that it is a glowing, beautifully made musical [[with songs by the Sherman Brothers who were responsible for "Poppins") and it never got the recognition it truly deserved. The cast, headed by Disney Stalwart Fred MacMurray and legendary star Greer Garson [[in her last film appearance) is excellent. The musical numbers are fun and engaging and the players do them well. Both Lesley Ann Warren and John Davidson were introduced in this film and proved an ideal pair of romantic leads. Warren, who became an overnight star courtesy of her delightful performance as Cinderella in the 1965 Rodgers and Hammerstein television musical, literally shines as Cordelia Drexel Biddle. Many scenes are stolen by Geraldine Page playing Davidson's haughty mother, and Tommy Steele can sing and dance with the best of them. There is also a grand performance from Gladys Cooper as the family matriarch. And, for "Poppins" fans, Hermione Baddely appears as the Irish housekeeper. There is also a brief bit by Joan Marshall, the star of William Castle's "Homicidal" [[billed as Jean Arless) as a maid. The fact that this story is [[loosely) based on the prominent Biddle family of Philadelphia, adds to the fun. Because the film was released after Disney's death and exhibitors complained about its long running time, it was drastically edited, shortening and removing several scenes, as well as one musical number [["It Won't Be Long Till Christmas"), and here is where the controversy comes in. Garson was originally cast as Mrs. Duke, after the part was turned down by several actresses, including Geraldine Page. Just before filming began however, Page changed her mind, and Greer ended up as Mrs. Biddle. [[a part she was not anxious to play). She agreed to the switch when she heard the score--especially "It Won't Be Long Till Christmas" which was her one musical number. Indeed she COULD sing, and she did so in a few of her '40's films. Because her song was subsequently cut from the film [[after it's Hollywood world premiere) she declined to attend any further premieres, though she had been at the Hollywood opening. Thanks to the newly restored roadshow edition, the song has been restored, a

Monongahela

The 10th could be the physical release of the expanded edition next christmas.

Any Christmas tracks recorded for the album, but didn't receive vocals?

• Funny Girl, Talk of Town and Love Child each had mono dj pressings but NO commercial mono release. Do these masters still exist or Were these mixes much different or just mixed from 2 channel down to 1 ?

• When you find things are you finding things from going through the logs that Motown kept or more from the actual physical tapes in the vaults ?

Sorry I joined the show late. But do we know if Ross 78 will be expanded in the near future? Sorry if this has already been answered.