[REMOVE ADS]

Eddie Kendricks - Girl You Need A Change of Mind.......the first Disco Record?

"Urban Archeologists" and everyone from Eddie Murphy to Denzel Washington have credited Eddie Kendricks with having the first disco, extended play record with "Girl You Need A Change of Mind". I don't know, I just always loved the record. How did it happen? Why hasn't Motown ever promoted that achievement or rather distinction? Was it because they were not into "Disco" at the time of the early 70s or was it because it was Eddie Kendricks who opened a new market for them?

Girl You Need A Change In Mind,i love this song,Eddie Kendrick did some great music,in the 70s

Quote Originally Posted by REDHOT View Post
    Girl You Need A Change In Mind,i love this song,Eddie Kendrick did some great music,in the 70s
    He produced some really great music which is why I wonder why Motown did not put his career on the front burner like some others?

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    He produced some really great music which is why I wonder why Motown did not put his career on the front burner like some others?
    I have heard rumours that Eddie was not always reliable when it came to attending recording sessions etc. I honestly do not know how true these rumours were but they certainly circulated in Motown Uk's offices in the 70's.
    On the surface Eddie would appear to have been perfect to be a musical rival to the likes of Stevie and Marvin. Handsome, talented, charismatic, but something evidently went wrong. His material was strong but after the initial couple of albums Motown took their foot off the gas as indeed they did for David Ruffin. Anyone else care to comment?

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    I have heard rumours that Eddie was not always reliable when it came to attending recording sessions etc. I honestly do not know how true these rumours were but they certainly circulated in Motown Uk's offices in the 70's.
    On the surface Eddie would appear to have been perfect to be a musical rival to the likes of Stevie and Marvin. Handsome, talented, charismatic, but something evidently went wrong. His material was strong but after the initial couple of albums Motown took their foot off the gas as indeed they did for David Ruffin. Anyone else care to comment?
    There has to be material in the vaults by Eddie that's not been released. He still has fans, but nothing ever is offered.

There has to be material in the vaults by Eddie that's not been released. He still has fans, but nothing ever is offered.
    You are probably right so why are we not given access to it? I think we have got virtually all of David Ruffin's material so why not Eddie?

RossHolloway Guest
    On volume 2 of his solo albums collection there are 8 unreleased tracks.

Quote Originally Posted by RossHolloway View Post
    You are correct, and very good they are too but there must surely be many more lurking in the vaults?

Quote Originally Posted by RossHolloway View Post
    Really? Where may I find this?

It was a track that we danced to in the clubs that played Black Music. We here in NYC at the time did not use the word or label of Disco. The LOFT and places like that did not call themselves DISCOS back then. You went to places to Dance and Party and you could dance your ass off to that track as well as enjoy chillin out and listening to it , and it was Eddie Kendricks from the Temptations. That was a hell of time in urban music , the best before that Disco label was put on Black R&B.

Quote Originally Posted by daddyacey View Post
    It was a track that we danced to in the clubs that played Black Music. We here in NYC at the time did not use the word or label of Disco. The LOFT and places like that did not call themselves DISCOS back then. You went to places to Dance and Party and you could dance your ass off to that track as well as enjoy chillin out and listening to it , and it was Eddie Kendricks from the Temptations. That was a hell of time in urban music , the best before that Disco label was put on Black R&B.
    I know what you mean Daddy. I was in Detroit during those years [[New York would come later.....). We partied and dance to the music that moved us, not because it was some sort of new fad. I have heard a lot about the Loft. Denzel even talked about it when he talked about this song. You still have folks like Joe Tex, The Staple Singers, Wilson Pickett and of course James Brown putting out music we partied and danced to then.

I once had a "Junior Walker & the All-Stars: the Ultimate Collection", and its essay kind of claimed his "Take Me Girl, I'm Ready" [[1971) as proto-disco...

Quote Originally Posted by Ngroove View Post
    I once had a "Junior Walker & the All-Stars: the Ultimate Collection", and its essay kind of claimed his "Take Me Girl, I'm Ready" [[1971) as proto-disco...

NGroove, it isn't really but I can understand where they got that idea from. The smooth backing vocals and melody sounds like something Philly International would do later. We were dancing to Jr. Walker & the Allstars as far back at '65 with "Shotgun" but it was just R&B, Soul music you could dance to.

This song definitely stakes claim to being one of the founding fathers of the modern day dance movement. Surely got butts bumping in 1972...

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    This song definitely stakes claim to being one of the founding fathers of the modern day dance movement. Surely got butts bumping in 1972...
    If you were at a party or a club with folks over 35, it would works it's magic all over again. This is one of those special records that if a company was truly about making money would remix, update and put it out there!

Really? Where may I find this?
    Here is the link to Eddie's "Motown Solo Albums Vol.2" and if you look at disc 3 tracks 10 -17 these are the previously unreleased tracks presented as a "Motown Lost & Found" segment within this package. Tracks 10 -16 were all outtakes from the "People....Hold On" album and tarck 17 was an outtake from "The Hit Man" album and is the same Brian & Eddie Holland tune later cut by G.C. Cameron and included on his "You're What's Missing In My Life" album.

Ivor

Quote Originally Posted by Laserdk View Post
    Here is the link to Eddie's "Motown Solo Albums Vol.2" and if you look at disc 3 tracks 10 -17 these are the previously unreleased tracks presented as a "Motown Lost & Found" segment within this package. Tracks 10 -16 were all outtakes from the "People....Hold On" album and tarck 17 was an outtake from "The Hit Man" album and is the same Brian & Eddie Holland tune later cut by G.C. Cameron and included on his "You're What's Missing In My Life" album.

Ivor
    Oops, sorry Marv pressed send too quickly. Here's the link:-

http://www.amazon.com/Thin-Man-Motow...ddie+kendricks

Ivor

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    You are correct, and very good they are too but there must surely be many more lurking in the vaults?
    Bluebrock,

I'm fairly certain those eight previously unreleased tracks by Eddie included on his "Complete Motown Albums Vol.2" set are it for his vaulted tracks. I remember when that package was announced for release I was surprised to see those previously unreleased tracks appear as I read several interviews with Eddie back in his 70s heyday where he clearly stated that he never recorded surplus tracks that just went into the "can" as that practice cost him money so he only recorded what he needed. Obviously, there were those eight vaulted tracks so he did record some surplus material. Also, I think at the time when this set was released that Harry Weinger confirmed on the old MBB that these eight tracks were the only vaulted tracks from Eddie's solo days at Motown.

Ivor

Thanks Ivor

Marv. Send me your outside email if you can. I can receive messages here but can't send. Ralph please help.

Oops, sorry Marv pressed send too quickly. Here's the link:-

http://www.amazon.com/Thin-Man-Motow...ddie+kendricks

Ivor

Thanks to you too Laserdk

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Marv. Send me your outside email if you can. I can receive messages here but can't send. Ralph please help.
    Ok will do Luke.

Luke, it says you've exceeded your limit so I can send anything to you.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Then a couple of years later, Eddie went full out with "Keep On Truckin'", "Boogie Down" etc.

Thanks Marv. Didn't know. I think I fixed it

Thanks Marv. Didn't know. I think I fixed it
    ok it's working. Good job!

Bluebrock,

I'm fairly certain those eight previously unreleased tracks by Eddie included on his "Complete Motown Albums Vol.2" set are it for his vaulted tracks. I remember when that package was announced for release I was surprised to see those previously unreleased tracks appear as I read several interviews with Eddie back in his 70s heyday where he clearly stated that he never recorded surplus tracks that just went into the "can" as that practice cost him money so he only recorded what he needed. Obviously, there were those eight vaulted tracks so he did record some surplus material. Also, I think at the time when this set was released that Harry Weinger confirmed on the old MBB that these eight tracks were the only vaulted tracks from Eddie's solo days at Motown.

Ivor
    Okay. Thanks for that. It would account for why unreleased songs by Eddie are so sparse, but on the other hand it would be almost unique to have so few tunes in the vaults for a Motown artist.