[REMOVE ADS]

"Nightflight" Tue Dec 1, 9P-12M ET: A gift for you.. from Mark Desjardins!

Howdy Folks! Join me tonight for a very special "Nightflight" [[Tue Dec 1, 9P-12M ET, at www.womr.org ). Mark Desjardins of Vancouver made a generous pledge to WOMR during our recent pledge drive with a request that, for you all, I play on the show the very rare "Martha Reeves and the Vandellas...Live at the Copa [[1968)". So that I will do! I will also air the rare to radio "Vandellas Live at the 20 Grand [[1967)...and I will be sprinkling in some of the Vandellas Motown material throughout the show! So do join me tonight for this rare set of live performances by the great Martha and the Vandellas. Oh...and thank Mark when you see him! See you on the radio! Thanks! John Oh...and thank you, John...so very much!
    Name:  Martha-Reeves_Vandellas_Live.jpg
Views: 362
Size:  67.8 KB
    Name:  Martha-Reeves_Vandellas_Live-1967.jpg
Views: 414
Size:  80.9 KB
    Name:  Gordy 937 - MARTHA & VANDELLAS - Live at the Copa.jpg
Views: 366
Size:  88.5 KB

...in the studio...HOWDY! I'm very excited to air tonight's show for Mark and y'all....and to mention next week's surprises during the show!!

John, I am "ready....just about now" for some heat wavin,' live wire, wild cuts from the ever soulful Martha Reeves & The Vandellas. My ears are glued to the sound waves radiating from your turntables, John. Thank you SO much for airing these rare grooves this evening!

I'm ready to come and get these memories.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Desjardines View Post
    John, I am "ready....just about now" for some heat wavin,' live wire, wild cuts from the ever soulful Martha Reeves & The Vandellas. My ears are glued to the sound waves radiating from your turntables, John. Thank you SO much for airing these rare grooves this evening!

Excellent!!!!!

Listening intently here John & Mark.... Can't wait to hear these shows!

Quote Originally Posted by Glenpwood View Post
    Hey there Glen!!!! Great that you're there!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    I'm ready to come and get these memories.
    Well Howdy there Martin!!!! Good to see you!!

Quote Originally Posted by Glenpwood View Post
    Hi John, I am so thrilled you are doing a Vandellas show with Martha Reeves, I just pulled out my copy of Martha and The Vandellas Live from 1967, but I cant wait to hear the Copa stuff from 1968, Ithe second black girl group to make the copa. I am going to call the 800 number and make a pledge tonite, there is nowhere in NY where I can hear this music other than my collection, and I have loved Motown since I was 13, please keep up the good work for us old teenagers, and thank the generous pledge you got from the guy who made this possible. You are the best and thank you.

Thank you Mark for your generous donation to the station!!

Hi John....bringing back memories of their appearance in Ptown in April...I have this album in stereo...are you playing the stereo version or the rare mono, and I've heard better version....after seeing them this Spring I came home and played this album....I now appreciate this album more than I did when it was released...

Howdy John! Hope you and your family had a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Quote Originally Posted by franjoy56 View Post
    Hi John, I am so thrilled you are doing a Vandellas show with Martha Reeves, I just pulled out my copy of Martha and The Vandellas Live from 1967, but I cant wait to hear the Copa stuff from 1968, Ithe second black girl group to make the copa. I am going to call the 800 number and make a pledge tonite, there is nowhere in NY where I can hear this music other than my collection, and I have loved Motown since I was 13, please keep up the good work for us old teenagers, and thank the generous pledge you got from the guy who made this possible. You are the best and thank you.
    Thank you and great to see you, Franjoy!!! Im playing the VAndellas Live 1967 first...then the very rare Copa 68. Thank you tons for the pledge!!!

Quote Originally Posted by johnjeb View Post
    Hi John....bringing back memories of their appearance in Ptown in April...I have this album in stereo...are you playing the stereo version or the rare mono, and I've heard better version....after seeing them this Spring I came home and played this album....I now appreciate this album more than I did when it was released...
    Yes, John....first....good to see you!! Next....seeing the Vandellas in P-Town was a true PLEASURE...and I really can, like you, appreciate these live recordings!!

Speaking of pledges, I found the pledge letter from WOMR under a pile of mail. Is it too late to donate? Stupid question probably!

Quote Originally Posted by texassoul View Post
    Howdy John! Hope you and your family had a wonderful Thanksgiving!
    Hey there Mike....yes...I had a quiet, nice holiday!! Hope yours was wonderful!!!! Great to see you!

Speaking of pledges, I found the pledge letter from WOMR under a pile of mail. Is it too late to donate? Stupid question probably!
    Not at all, Mike! You can call or use the website [[www.womr.org)...let me know if you need any help. Thanks for the gesture of support...it means a lot!

Quote Originally Posted by midnight johnny View Post
    Not at all, Mike! You can call or use the website [[www.womr.org)...let me know if you need any help. Thanks for the gesture of support...it means a lot!
    I'm on it now, John!

Delphine, is her youngest sister.

I just left the Cape this morning. Monday I did Christmas shopping in Brewster, Orleans and Chatham but never made it to P-Town. Did I miss Holly Folly weekend or is it this weekend?

I'm on it now, John!
    Thanks soooooooooooo much, Mike.......and Franjoy!!!!

Donation done!

Delphine, is her youngest sister.

I just left the Cape this morning. Monday I did Christmas shopping in Brewster, Orleans and Chatham but never made it to P-Town. Did I miss Holly Folly weekend or is it this weekend?

I think it's this weekend.........Thank you for Delphine!!!!

Donation done!
    Thank you, Sir!!!!

The album back cover says "20 - GRAND" if we are talking about Gordy 925 from 1967.

The album back cover says "20 - GRAND" if we are talking about Gordy 925 from 1967.
    Yup....you mean I was wrong about being wrong? Damn! Thanks, John...I appreciate the truth!!

I think it's this weekend.........Thank you for Delphine!!!!
    Yes, it's this weekend, I just looked it up online. I like the Christmas sing-a-long at the Gifford House. I don't think they do "Twinkle Twinkle Little Me", "Someday At Christmas" or even "Children's Christmas Song" - pity. lol

Yes, it's this weekend, I just looked it up online. I like the Christmas sing-a-long at the Gifford House. I don't think they do "Twinkle Twinkle Little Me", "Someday At Christmas" or even "Children's Christmas Song" - pity. lol
    ....................Really!!!

Yup....you mean I was wrong about being wrong? Damn! Thanks, John...I appreciate the truth!!
    yep johjeb is right my copy says twenty grand but we are enjoying it just the same.

Quote Originally Posted by franjoy56 View Post
    yep johjeb is right my copy says twenty grand but we are enjoying it just the same.
    Thanks, Franjoy!

Is it just me or did most of the 60s era performers play their songs much faster in concert than on the original recording. I know James Brown did.
    Last edited by texassoul; 12-01-2015 at 11:19 PM.

Is it just me or did most of the 60s era performers play their songs must faster in concert than on the original recording. I know James Brown did.
    Oh yeah....faster....that band is great!!!!!

Love James Jamerson's bass line on this!

Love James Jamerson's bass line on this!
    I knowwwwwww...you can hear it so clearly!!

Is Mark not listening tonight?

Is Mark not listening tonight?
    I'm sure he is...as far as I know!

Hey John,
    Really enjoying the show tonight. Martha really is fab live. Like many artists there are something about an artist live that doesn't always come through on the studio recordings. Also some numbers sound better a little faster live.

Thanks for the announcement about next week. It will be my last Tuesday off from work as the following week, I switch to Thurs - Fri off. So the timing is fantastic

Also this weeks show is almost the 1st in a month that the connection doesn't drop.

greg jones
    los ángeles, ca

Quote Originally Posted by greg jones View Post
    Hey John,
    Really enjoying the show tonight. Martha really is fab live. Like many artists there are something about an artist live that doesn't always come through on the studio recordings. Also some numbers sound better a little faster live.

Thanks for the announcement about next week. It will be my last Tuesday off from work as the following week, I switch to Thurs - Fri off. So the timing is fantastic

Also this weeks show is almost the 1st in a month that the connection doesn't drop.

greg jones
    los ángeles, ca
    Hey there Greg...great to see you! Glad you're able to listen next week when Andy and George join me!! And very glad the connection is constant!!

Great show tonight as always John.

Great show tonight as always John.
    I appreciate it, Mike!! It's always lovely to hear [[*grin)

WOW, John you really "tore it all down" this evening with the two Martha Reeves & The Vandellas concerts. I lost the station phone number and couldn't dare leave the live podcast to get the number on the station website, or leave a message on SDF as to not miss a note. What a smokin', tight band and there wasn't a dog among all the hits, covers and medleys that Martha and her group served up. Andy and George coming on your show next week with some Diana Sings Songs From the Wiz session and a "surprise" in store next week? Man, Christmas and New Years have come real early this year. Thank you SO much!

P.S. It took several years to hunt down the Mono version of this lp and I also have the Stereo. The much sought after Mono version of the the 20 Grand is way better and one side is a different show. As much as I love The Supremes, Martha & The Vandellas put on a much grittier show at the Copa. I only wish the Marvelettes had been recorded live during their later Smokey produced period because that would have been scorching hot. Sigh......
    Last edited by Mark Desjardines; 12-02-2015 at 05:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Desjardines View Post
    WOW, John you really "tore it all down" this evening with the two Martha Reeves & The Vandellas concerts. I lost the station phone number and couldn't dare leave the live podcast to get the number on the station website, or leave a message on SDF as to not miss a note. What a smokin', tight band and there wasn't a dog among all the hits, covers and medleys that Martha and her group served up. Andy and George coming on your show next week with some Diana Sings Songs From the Wiz session and a "surprise" in store next week? Man, Christmas and New Years have come real early this year. Thank you SO much!

P.S. It took several years to hunt down the Mono version of this lp and I also have the Stereo. The much sought after Mono version of the the 20 Grand is way better and one side is a different show. As much as I love The Supremes, Martha & The Vandellas put on a much grittier show at the Copa. I only wish the Marvelettes had been recorded live during their later Smokey produced period because that would have been scorching hot. Sigh......
    Mark....thanks...but I don't know when I would have aired either of the Vandellas live performances if it hadn't been for your pledge and request. So I thank you. And I want to thank all the folks who listened and gave Mark a "thank you" ...he deserves it! And next week? Andy and George AND Diana AND a surprise? I can't WAIT!!!