[REMOVE ADS]

LPFM RADIO: Low Power to The People!

....Feeling disatisfied, disenfranchised, or simply depressed by the offerings from corporate commercial radio? If the answer is yes, you might be interested in this GREAT news about the passage of the Local Community Radio Act:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/timoth..._b_798768.html

For more information about LPFM go to http://www.prometheusradio.org

...But in a nutshell...

About a decade ago [[after years of cat and mouse games played by the FCC vs radio pirates) the FCC agreed to offer up licenses to small, non-profit community groups or organizations called LPFM [[Low Power FM.) These stations typically operate under 100 watts [[effective) intended to cover a small area radius, and not to interfere with larger commercial radio signals.

Imagine turning on your radio and hearing commercial-free local news, opinions, and information not covered elsewhere; Independent musicians and artists without a recording contract performing live; Obscure songs from obscure artists never played by commercial radio!

And the new millenium brought about something both the FCC and LPFM activists might not have imagined: Streaming over the World Wide Web! Suddenly local voices and music offered up by regular folks could be heard around the world by anyone with high speed internet access.

If LPFM still looked like no big threat to corporate radio, consider the recent proliferation of satellite, internet radio. Add to that corporate radio's stubborn adherence to rigid formats, limited music playlists [["they play the same songs over and over again"), an unacceptable number of commercials, and you can see why the National Association of Broadcasters [[NAB) would not like to see more LPFMs turning up on the dial.

If you live near an LPFM station, either volunteer your support [[LPFMs are operated by volunteers), or donate [[tax deductible) money or services to help with operating costs to keep them on the air. If you do not have one and know of a non-profit group who would like to start one, go to prometheus radio [[link above) for information, and stay tuned for more from LPFM!
    Last edited by sunshineonacloudyday; 12-20-2010 at 05:38 AM.

I'm glad you did a separate thread sunshineonacloudyday.

This was a really good win and could be especially relevant for classic/soul music fans.

Imagine turning on your radio and hearing commercial free vital local news, opinions, and information not covered elsewhere; Local musicians without a recording contract performing live; Obscure songs from obscure artists never played by commercial radio!

For anyone interested in acquiring a license or know of anyone interested here is an overview of the requirements:

A Brief Overview of LPFM/What's Required:

1. The service is non-commercial.

2. There are two classes of stations-LP 100 [[100 watts, 100 feet HAAT) and LP 10 [[10 watts, 100 feet HAAT). So far the FCC has not opened up an LP-10 window.

3. Eligible licensees can be non-commercial government or private educational organizations, associations or entities; non-profit entities with educational purposes [[the definition of which has now been broadened enough to include a wide variety of content).

4. LPFM stations are required to broadcast a minimum amount of hours per week and participate in the EAS system. Check the FCC's site for more on this.

5. The license term will be for eight years, and cannot be sold to another party.
    You will have to certify that your organization does indeed operate in the city in which you wish to broadcast, and that a majority of your board [[or other persons) live within ten miles of the proposed station.

Also, take a long look at what the FCC's asking from potential LPFM applicants. If you have specific questions, please contact your legal council or other professional representative.

also an additional link

Wow, thanks for the great information ms_m!!

Yes, I agree--LPFM is "especially relevant for classic/soul music fans."

As most SDF members are well aware, lesser-known artists and musicians are typically not on commercial radio's playlists--especially those who recorded prior to the 70s, or had only one or two singles. From a purely historical perspective, non-commercial radio stations can give these songs airplay to new generations of listeners who might otherwise never hear them. [[other genres also)
    Last edited by sunshineonacloudyday; 12-20-2010 at 06:26 AM.

One thing I should add though, the license "ain't" cheap and the FCC has some pretty strict technical rules.

Also the broadcast range may be limited, but it's still a start and a win.

Arer the licenses limited to the "educational" band of FM radio?

Hi Doug,

I'm still going over all of this but I think this opens up the airwaves beyond noncommercial educational bands with a much broader definition of what is considered educational...
    don't quote me on that.

I also think the range is around 5 miles but from what I understand certain types of antennas can boost that to 25 miles. This all depends on the area though which is why you really need someone who specializes in the area of FCC laws. [[they are pretty strict)

Here is a link that gives more details about requirements, guidelines and the FCC requirements, etc.
    http://www.lpfmradio.com/

Hope this helps.

I get the impression from the Low Power site that it is NOT going to be an inexpensive thing to set up from scratch no matter what the website may imply. I don't see anything [[so far) that suspends the rules over monitoring your transmitter or requiring the ability to rebroadcast EBS nor any other requirements other than the opening of frequencies to allow 10 or 100 watt operations. For example. If you have to have a first phone [[engineer with a 1st class radio-telephone license) on staff or under contract like the "big boys" do, you've got a $600 a month hole in your budget right there.

It IS an interesting idea that may or may not bring back the idea of "local" broadcasting, but I still like my fix better. In 1995 the FCC allowed the almost unlimited use of "translators" or re-broadcast equipment, allowing stations to invade other markets creating a situation where a 200 watt FM operation in Twisp, WA could broadcast its signal into a market 150 miles away [[and way outside the .5 signal range). At that point the Twisp station stopped being a station that served its city of license.

If the FCC were serious about helping local broadcasters they would 1) repeal the current ownership laws that allow multiple ownership of stations within a given market and 2) repeal the current regulations allowing translaters outside of those required to fill in holes inside of the stations primary signal range. Or basically go back to the pre 1995 regulations.

End of rant.....

Well Doug, as I said, it ain't cheap. The initial outlay is a DOOZY!

I'm not saying this was perfect but I am saying it's a start. To be honest, a surprise too. I didn't think it would happen. The word I'm getting, there was a big push from religious groups. Peoples can take from that, what they will.

I have feelers out so this could work , maybe not but it's an opportunity to explore.

"Community radio" has been tried a couple of times before in the 10 watt format, and it hasn't worked out well and I don't think it will be the savior from the commercial crap that everyone says it will be. For that you need an overhaul of FCC rules and regs when it comes to ownership, translators, and the "city of license" rule.

That's another reform that's needed. Used to be [[before '95) at least some of your porgraming had to originate from within your primary coverage area. When that went away, programming delivered by the bird went crazy.

I really don't think in the long run LPFM will make much of a dent UNLESS someone comes up with a way to seriously reduce costs and FCC oversight. That's going to be the big hurtle. But even if you solve that problem, will 10 [[or 100) watts be enough to make it viable for more than broadcasting the local high school basketball games or church services? I don't think special interest music programming will be enough to support it.

ms_m, Doug-Morgan--

Thank you both for your informed comments. I am involved with a [[so far) successful LPFM in Northern California. There are the obvious limitations of range with Low Power, and the 5 mile radius from the transmitter [[mentioned by ms_m) is generally true. However, depending on the topography around the transmitter's location, I've heard of decent signals up to 25-30 miles from transmitter site due to the "line of sight" effect.

There are many other worthwhile benefits to LPFM which I haven't mentioned.

One significant application is in remote or rural areas under represented by larger commercial stations. For example following the earthquake in Haiti, it was a Low Power station that provided important information to the public when other forms of communication were not possible [[read this wonderful story on Promethesus' website.)

A little trailer, some basic equipment, and a generator and you have a portable emergency radio station. [[radio pirates will tell you it's not that difficult or expensive

LPFM is also a wonderful experience for young people, who can learn programming and basic radio engineering skills. I know children as young as 10 yrs old with their own radio show.

Don't forget that many LPFMs also stream over the Internet...Community voices sharing their culture, news, information and music with other Low Power stations around the world.

And as ms_m mentioned, religious organizations were interested in the passage of this bill for obvious reasons, however their message is already widely available on both AM, FM and shortwave stations. LPFM can offer a voice to other community groups who lack the financial resources many religious groups enjoy.
    Last edited by sunshineonacloudyday; 12-20-2010 at 10:50 PM.

Doug

I guess I'm looking at this as more of a marketing/pr tool. Many in the market I deal with would prefer a radio station than being on line. Be it a 5 mile radius or 25, that reaches a lot of people depending on the area. I can combined the music with a musical education type experience and get airplay for my artist which turns into sales. Moving units is the name of my game and anything that will help do that I will investigate.

Not looking for any "savior" type scenario simply a tool to add to what I have now. Again, it may work out it may not but I still see it as a good thing. There are many who will take advantage of this opportunity. Some good will come out of some not so good. I don't see and real disadvantageous if people have the resources to try it. If they don't, doesn't matter if this bill was passed or something better. At least that's how I see it.

If I were to get involved I don't want to circumvent any rules. That would only come back to bite me in the butt.
    I'm happy the bill passed even if it doesn't work out for me.

I've heard many express similar views as Doug and I've heard the opposite view. A matter of perspective. Such is life.

I've always wanted to have my own little station[maybe 500 watts]and i would play only[oldies-jazz]i would have a ball..w-o-l-d the real oldies radio.

Actually you can. 500mw stations don't need a license. Granted it would only cover a couple of city blocks or so but.....

@ rrr&bee - I love the call letters for your radio station; WOLD. In the West it would be, "KAY-O-EL-DEE!", KOLD Radio...lol

Of course you would need to define "real oldies", which to most commercial stations these days means late 70s & 80s stuff. For the 50s & 60s goodies you will have to go to a college, Low Power, public broadcasting station, or--as Doug-Morgan suggests--that 500 milliwatt station in your own garage.

Remember, when trying to find out locations of broadcasts in your area, go to the website below, and type in your home address, and antenna height if applicable, and you will see a list of all FCC licensed FM stations in your area, listed from strongest to weakest signal reception for your address:

www.fmfool.com

Don't rely on this as gospel, though. It doesn't show Construction Permits or frequencys that have been assigned at auction but don't have CP's filed yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug-Morgan View Post
    Don't rely on this as gospel, though. It doesn't show Construction Permits or frequencys that have been assigned at auction but don't have CP's filed yet.
    Yes, that site only lists licensed stations that are up and broadcasting. Nothing "tentative" or "in the works" is ever listed there.