[REMOVE ADS]

Eddie Holland/Holland - Dozier ... Don't Leave Me Starvin' For Your Love [[ALT)

This on the radio this morning [[CKWW 580 am). This the alternate version where somewhere in the middle the music drops out and you hear Eddie begging intensely LOL! Almost as good Levi Stubbs. This is one that has me curious about the background singers as one sounds like Joyce Vincent Wilson. Take a listen to this oft forgotten classic:

Thanks for posting this. I love this song and never heard this mix. To me, it sounds like they took the opening of part two of the 45 , where the music is dropped and Eddie begs intensely and moved it into the middle of part one. I like this and love the song. Way back in the day, I recorded part one and part two on a 8 track so that I could listen to the whole song in my car. 8 track ?? Yeah !! 8 track

Marv2

Linda Davis [[one of Brian's daughter) wrote on Facebook that this is indeed her father Brian on this song...not Eddie. I too made the mistake of believing it was Eddie

From Facebook - 6 January 2015

Linda Davis:

I need to correct you, that is my dad, Brian! That is not unle Edward. I was in the studio at the time he recorded it and not only that I know the difference between the two.

BTW

LInda Davis [[nee Holland) was in a group called Liquid Heat

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    Thanks for posting this. I love this song and never heard this mix. To me, it sounds like they took the opening of part two of the 45 , where the music is dropped and Eddie begs intensely and moved it into the middle of part one. I like this and love the song. Way back in the day, I recorded part one and part two on a 8 track so that I could listen to the whole song in my car. 8 track ?? Yeah !! 8 track
    As I was not driving yet when this song was out and on the radio in Detroit. i do have fond memories of the summer of '72, Belle Isle and this playing all over the place it seemed.

Quote Originally Posted by theboyfromxtown View Post
    Marv2

Linda Davis [[one of Brian's daughter) wrote on Facebook that this is indeed her father Brian on this song...not Eddie. I too made the mistake of believing it was Eddie
    Thank you for sharing that because Eddie had a higher voice. When they were releasing records on themselves in the early 70s it was always confusing as to who was singing and who was on the record. I believe they just went with "Holland-Dozier" because the names were World famous by then.

I love this song. So laid back, but intense at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    This is indeed a slicing and dicing of part 1 and part 2. The giveaway is the pitch change each time we switch from 1 to 2 or back again.

On the original single, Part 2 runs slightly slower than part 1, and that slightly lower pitch can be heard on those bits of this long version that originally come from Part 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Sotosound View Post
    This is indeed a slicing and dicing of part 1 and part 2. The giveaway is the pitch change each time we switch from 1 to 2 or back again.

On the original single, Part 2 runs slightly slower than part 1, and that slightly lower pitch can be heard on those bits of this long version that originally come from Part 2.
    I could tell the difference right at that noticeable break where the music drops out.

The radio version I heard this morning; the backing vocals were very clear and crisp. I wonder if that is Joyce and Pam Vincent on there? I know Joyce was scoring with Tony Orland & Dawn around this time, but...........

More than thirty years later, the song gets a new recording by Billy Price on his album with Otis Clay...

And The Countrypolitans this year... more instrumental and I think closer to the original...

I might as well chuck in Laura Lee's version on Invictus...

And Laura's alt version by Baby Bo Lox

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  21.1 KB
    Upon hearing this, I'd have guessed that it was Brian, because the man just doesn't sound like Eddie. Eddie's voice is higher, and he has different mannerisms. There is a family resemblance to the two voices, as there is with Dionne and Dee Dee Warwick and Cissy and Whitney Houston, and Sam and L.C. Cook, and Nat and Ike Cole. But, clearly, this NOT Eddie.

On the Briant Holland and Band Kudo Record, it's harder to tell. I really think that THAT is Eddie. But no one knows for sure. I guess no one asked Eddie or Brian about that, who still communicates with the Motown fanbase.

Quote Originally Posted by MIKEW-UK View Post
    More than thirty years later, the song gets a new recording by Billy Price on his album with Otis Clay...
    Mike, I had not heard this before or even knew it existed. Thank you. This song is one that I always considered a "regional hit". I am pleasantly surprised that it seems that others heard it and liked as much as we in the Detroit are did years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  21.1 KB
    Upon hearing this, I'd have guessed that it was Brian, because the man just doesn't sound like Eddie. Eddie's voice is higher, and he has different mannerisms. There is a family resemblance to the two voices, as there is with Dionne and Dee Dee Warwick and Cissy and Whitney Houston, and Sam and L.C. Cook, and Nat and Ike Cole. But, clearly, this NOT Eddie.

On the Briant Holland and Band Kudo Record, it's harder to tell. I really think that THAT is Eddie. But no one knows for sure. I guess no one asked Eddie or Brian about that, who still communicates with the Motown fanbase.
    I know what you mean Robb about the family vocal resemblance. Regarding Dee Dee Warwick, she was a heck of a singer and should have had a much bigger career.

Quote Originally Posted by MIKEW-UK View Post
    And Laura's alt version by Baby Bo Lox
    I do remember Laura Lee's [[of Detroit) version.

When you think of it, the lyrics are very simple and straight forward. What makes this song works so well is the emotion one puts into the delivery combined with lyrics that are understandable across the board.