[REMOVE ADS]

Marvin Gaye - Inner City Blues [[Make Me Wanna Holler)

I first heard this song one Friday night in 1971 when my Mom brought it home and played it on our stereo. She bought the lastest singles every Friday. As kid, I didn't really understand what Marvin Gaye was singing about, but boy do I understand now....................

The song is really poetry in motion in more ways than one.

It's essence is what Motown was really all about.

Inner City Blues [[Make Me Wanna Holler)
    By Marvin Gaye

Dah, dah, dah, dah
    Dah, dah, dah, dah, dah, dah, dah
    Dah, dah, dah, dah
    Dah, dah, dah, dah, dah, dah, dah
    Dah, dah, dah
    Rockets, moon shots
    Spend it on the have nots
    Money, we make it
    Fore we see it you take it
    Oh, make you wanna holler
    The way they do my life
    Make me wanna holler
    The way they do my life
    This ain't livin', this ain't livin'
    No, no baby, this ain't livin'
    No, no, no
    Inflation no chance
    To increase finance
    Bills pile up sky high
    Send that boy off to die
    Make me wanna holler
    The way they do my life
    Make me wanna holler
    The way they do my life
    Dah, dah, dah
    Dah, dah, dah
    Hang ups, let downs
    Bad breaks, set backs
    Natural fact is
    I can't pay my taxes
    Oh, make me wanna holler
    And throw up both my hands
    Yea, it makes me wanna holler
    And throw up both my hands
    Crime is increasing
    Trigger happy policing
    Panic is spreading
    God know where we're heading
    Oh, make me wanna holler
    They don't understand
    Dah, dah, dah
    Dah, dah, dah
    Dah, dah, dah

Mother, mother
    Everybody thinks we're wrong
    Who are they to judge us
    Simply cause we wear our hair long
    Songwriters: Gaye, Marvin P / Nyx, James
    © Sony/ATV Music Publishing LLC
    For non-commercial use only.

I had heard the first two 45s off that albums in the summer of 1971. My brother-in-law played "What's Going On" repeatedly so much that my sister broke the record!

Anyway, I first heard the album version of "Inner City Blues [[Make Me Wanna Holler)" when my father gave me the prerecorded cassette of it around September of 1974. Since I didn't really like the second side of the tape, I didn't listen to the song much. But, today, I really like it. I still don't like the other two songs on that side. I tend to play the first side, or first half through "Mercy Mercy Me [[The Ecology)".

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    I had heard the first two 45s off that albums in the summer of 1971. My brother-in-law played "What's Going On" repeatedly so much that my sister broke the record!

Anyway, I first heard the album version of "Inner City Blues [[Make Me Wanna Holler)" when my father gave me the prerecorded cassette of it around September of 1974. Since I didn't really like the second side of the tape, I didn't listen to the song much. But, today, I really like it. I still don't like the other two songs on that side. I tend to play the first side, or first half through "Mercy Mercy Me [[The Ecology)".

Isn't it interesting just how powerful Marvin's music is that it makes you remember things that long ago. Hey, i think I found a website that you would really like if you haven't check it out yet, check out:

http://recording.institute/

I remember that my parents bought about 5 single 45's per week and maybe 2 albums a month. By the time I was old enough and able to afford my own music it was all albums and later 12" singles. Around the late 80s, early 90s I bought mostly cassettes while moving slowly towards CD's. I have "Inner City Blues" on the album and a cassette version.

Attachment 10764

My first memory of Marvin Gaye was when I was just two years old! My father used to play "Baby Don't You Do It" repeatedly.

Looking at my database, I have eleven copies of "Inner City Blues" by Marvin Gaye o n CD. Some mono, some stereo, some the Detroit mix, and one live version. One is on the 45, and two more on the WGO vinyl album. I have one by Gil Scott-Heron.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Isn't it interesting just how powerful Marvin's music is that it makes you remember things that long ago. Hey, i think I found a website that you would really like if you haven't check it out yet, check out:

http://recording.institute/
    No way would I move to Detroit! That's not my kind of world. I like it out here in the west. I'm a desert rat, and the women are HOT!

My first memory of Marvin Gaye was when I was just two years old! My father used to play "Baby Don't You Do It" repeatedly.

Looking at my database, I have eleven copies of "Inner City Blues" by Marvin Gaye o n CD. Some mono, some stereo, some the Detroit mix, and one live version. One is on the 45, and two more on the WGO vinyl album. I have one by Gil Scott-Heron.
    Well now here we go! LOL! My earliest memory of Marvin Gaye was running around the backyard with my cousin, in and out of the laundry and his brand new record "Pride and Joy" was playing and my mom,aunt and friends were playing cards on a small card table in the yard. Had to have been 1963.

No way would I move to Detroit! That's not my kind of world. I like it out here in the west. I'm a desert rat, and the women are HOT!
    It snowed in Detroit tonight. LOL!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    It snowed in Detroit tonight. LOL!!!!
    Well, I do like snow, but still...

Well, I do like snow, but still...
    I know. As much as we in the North and East complain about it, I don't think many could do without it!