[REMOVE ADS]

The Funk Brothers do the Funk Brothers!

As the' Detroit City Limits': -

Cheers

Paul

And the first track here: -

Now all I need to do is find 'Ain't Nothing Like the Real Thing' which was also on the L.P.

Cheers

Paul

Now, I'm intrigued by this. Listened to these and a few more on YouTube and they're pretty good. How many/which Funk Brothers were involved in this? I don't think I've ever heard of a group called the Detroit City Limits. Judging by the track coverage and sound, I would say this is from late 1968 or 1969.

MIke Terry is involved. How come it's not in my collection! lol

thanks for discovering these

They are great

edafan

I am trying to figure out why these were recorded? Were they commercially released as instrumentals in the sixties or were they recorded for a music service?

Marv empty your mail box.

The Funk Bros. definitely should've put out instrumental albums and not just albums where they had to use a pseudonym. No one knew of a Funk Brothers until Marvin mentioned them in the What's Going On liner notes... dammit Berry lol

Glad you all enjoyed these tracks.

Hope this gets issued on CD one day!

Cheers

Paul

Not previously familiar with this incarnation of Funk Brothers recordings, nor have I ever had a discussion on these particular tracks with any Funk Brothers, the guys who made up The Funk Brothers and many Motown musicians participated in numerous outside recordings, both at Motown and elsewhere, although BG never wanted to feature them as he needed their skills as backup musicians full time. One notable project featuring Funk Brothers and the Motown string section was a collaboration called The San Remo Golden Strings which actually charted a couple of recordings and were released on Motown, Golden World, and Ric-Tic...I believe Hungry For Love was their most successful effort.

The San Remo Golden Strings!

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    The San Remo Golden Strings!

Yup...That's the Motown string section lead by Gordon Staples with his DSO members along with Funk Brothers providing the rhythm...

Quote Originally Posted by StuBass1 View Post
    Yup...That's the Motown string section lead by Gordon Staples with his DSO members along with Funk Brothers providing the rhythm...
    Several years ago Berry Gordy and Suzanne dePasse announced that a mini-series about Motown was being produced. I wished that had happened. I would have hoped they'd include info on musicians like the San Remo Golden Strings.

Well Gordon Staples had some good gigs, as concertmaster with the DSO, his Motown work conducting the string section, and other recording and commercial production sessions around town. He was a pretty good musician/businessman. Most of the other musicians...just session work for union scale...

Another thing I found quite amusing was seeing some of these old eastern European orchestra musicians headed to Motown for sessions. I recall seeing my old high school orchestra director, Josef Kertez waiting at a bus stop in his old fashioned suit, viola in hand, headed to Motown for a session LOL...

Well Gordon Staples had some good gigs, as concertmaster with the DSO, his Motown work conducting the string section, and other recording and commercial production sessions around town. He was a pretty good musician/businessman. Most of the other musicians...just session work for union scale...
    I wished I could find it now but there was a woman that played the strings with the DSO that talked about all of the Motown recording sessions she did starting at age 16. There was a video of her talking about it on Youtube recently.

Another thing I found quite amusing was seeing some of these old eastern European orchestra musicians headed to Motown for sessions. I recall seeing my old high school orchestra director, Josef Kertez waiting at a bus stop in his old fashioned suit, viola in hand, headed to Motown for a session LOL...
    My high school Algebra II from Toledo moonlighted as a flutist with the Cake Walkin' Jazz Band in the 70s and on. LOL! Shout out to Ray Heiger!!!