[REMOVE ADS]

Martha Reeves & the Vandellas 1969

Sorry it's already been posted....I've been on vacation

Wonderful. I don't remember seeing this clip before.....

If it has....I'm blaming you!

No need to apologize, boyfromxtown. This is a really special video of Martha-Lois-Sandy-era Vandellas which I had never seen before. Plus I've always loved their "Sugar 'N' Spice" album, including both "Taking My Love [[And Leaving Me)" and "Soul Appeal". [[The latter should have been released as a single as well.) I just wonder why the girls dressed down in non-matching street clothes for this TV performance. Their image on the album cover is so classy and glamorous. Still, this is a rare and exciting video! Thank you for sharing.

Lol. Lois keeps trying to get Sandra off the stage!

Great clip. I don't care if it has or hasn't been posted before. I have not seen it before so thank you for posting.

Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    I just wonder why the girls dressed down in non-matching street clothes for this TV performance. Their image on the album cover is so classy and glamorous. Still, this is a rare and exciting video! Thank you for sharing.
    The Mike Douglas Show was aired in the afternoons, usually right after school. A lot of the artists who performed would not dress as extravagantly as they would for an evening talk or variety show. Isn't there an interview with The Supremes on Mike Douglas where Mary says they wore the fancy gowns for the ladies in the afternoon? Am I wrong in my memory of that????

Quote Originally Posted by thommg View Post
    The Mike Douglas Show was aired in the afternoons, usually right after school. A lot of the artists who performed would not dress as extravagantly as they would for an evening talk or variety show. Isn't there an interview with The Supremes on Mike Douglas where Mary says they wore the fancy gowns for the ladies in the afternoon? Am I wrong in my memory of that????
    Bingo, thommg! Voila:

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    Bingo, thommg! Voila:

So, my memory isn't as bad as I thought! I actually liked seeing the groups dress down a bit. It is nice to see Martha and the Vandellas each in an outfit that fits their personalities. And, may I say, Martha is very thin! Look at how skinny her legs are in that outfit!

Quote Originally Posted by thommg View Post
    Hey, Thom! I remember the Mike Douglas show well. I used to watch it every day after school back in the late '60s. I just don't recall the Motown artists dressing down on there. I miss those variety shows. Ed Sullivan and Mike Douglas were the best for showcasing the Motown acts -- consistently, too!

thanks for posting. I remember Mike Douglas featuring a lot of the singers I love.I think the "dressing down" was part of the Martha & the Vandellas being hip at the time, like their performance on Soul Train promoting "Bless You".

I had never seen this clip before either. The main thing I learned is that Cholly Atkins was a man. I had always assumed that was a woman.

Quote Originally Posted by daviddesper View Post
    I had never seen this clip before either. The main thing I learned is that Cholly Atkins was a man. I had always assumed that was a woman.
    Oh my goodness, Cholly was a man alright! Here's a wonderful picture of him coaching our very own 4 Tops! You may be thinking of the late Prof. Maxine Powell, who also coached all the acts in deportment, and how to behave as stars, rather than kids off the block. Martha revered her too.
    Last edited by Sharpmoves; 10-29-2015 at 08:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by motony View Post
    thanks for posting. I remember Mike Douglas featuring a lot of the singers I love.I think the "dressing down" was part of the Martha & the Vandellas being hip at the time, like their performance on Soul Train promoting "Bless You".
    It wasn't only MR&TVs - look at this shot of the 4 Tops and Supremes on Top of the Pops in the early '70s - designer day wear rather than matching stage outfits.