[REMOVE ADS]

Footage of Rick James' Funeral

I don't recall this being posted here; it was uploaded to YouTube almost exactly a year ago. The service was like a party, with Teena, Stevie and BG present, among others. Also contains clips of Rick in his prime. WORD OF WARNING: His open casket is visible during the wake, so the squeamish might want to avoid.

Last edited by sansradio; 10-21-2015 at 02:58 PM.

Part 2:

And part 3:

I watched it all. Very sad, very well done.

Rick James when just being himself can and will make you laugh! Check this out:

Yes, Marv, Teena's talk was very emotional. That Rick was a hilarious guy, all right!

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    Yes, Marv, Teena's talk was very emotional. That Rick was a hilarious guy, all right!
    It is kind of sad to me looking back now. I did not pay much attention to Rick James personality, personal business, his history while he was alive. We didn't have Youtube in those days. Seeing these interviews now, I can see that he was a very complex individual. Not only a lot of fun, a real guy, cared for people, but also badass! The music was enough for me I guess.

Absolutely, Marv. The fact that he had a lot on the ball gets obscured behind all the madness.
    My first "grown-up" single was "Bustin' Out". The music's always been enough for me as well.

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    Absolutely, Marv. The fact that he had a lot on the ball gets obscured behind all the madness.
    My first "grown-up" single was "Bustin' Out". The music's always been enough for me as well.

My first Rick James record was "You and I" the year before and i am telling you we party hard that summer to that record. I wonder if he stayed in touch with Neil Young and some of the other guys in the Myniah Birds? I had a rare b/w photo of the band posted years ago on a special tribute to Canadian music thread. I will try to find it.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    It is kind of sad to me looking back now. I did not pay much attention to Rick James personality, personal business, his history while he was alive. We didn't have Youtube in those days. Seeing these interviews now, I can see that he was a very complex individual. Not only a lot of fun, a real guy, cared for people, but also badass! The music was enough for me I guess.
    Rick James was a create genius, I remember how popular he was back in Detroit. Funny story,,,,,,,my conservative brother and I went to our family lake house for the weekend and he pulled out a Rick James CD in the car. he knew every word of each song. I bout died!!!! We still talk about that experience to this very day. His music truly transcended across the general population. It is probably my age, but damn I just can't get into music like I did back in those days.
    Last edited by detmotownguy; 10-21-2015 at 11:23 PM.

I can't stand funerals. I remember being squeamish looking at James Brown's funeral and I about skipped MJ's. But Rick James was indeed one of a kind. Another question I have is why were rock star funerals including people like Farrakhan and Sharpton??? I remember when Sharpton gave a eulogy at Etta James' funeral. Bizarre lol

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    I can't stand funerals. I remember being squeamish looking at James Brown's funeral and I about skipped MJ's. But Rick James was indeed one of a kind. Another question I have is why were rock star funerals including people like Farrakhan and Sharpton??? I remember when Sharpton gave a eulogy at Etta James' funeral. Bizarre lol
    Midnightman the clergy usually are the people who most often conduct funeral services. Minister Farrakhan gave the eulogy at David Ruffin's funeral, Reverend C.L. Franklin at Florence Ballard's and most recently Rabbi Loss for our friend Al Abrams.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Midnightman the clergy usually are the people who most often conduct funeral services. Minister Farrakhan gave the eulogy at David Ruffin's funeral, Reverend C.L. Franklin at Florence Ballard's and most recently Rabbi Loss for our friend Al Abrams.
    Yeah I know that lol

I just... I don't like funerals lol

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Yeah I know that lol

I just... I don't like funerals lol
    I can't imagine anyone that does.....................