[REMOVE ADS]

Bettye LaVette was a Motown artist

I routinely see mention of Bettye LaVette but I must admit I know little if anything about her. I knew she was popular in the Detroit area but I had no idea she was actually a contracted Motown artist.

The Rehoboth Beach, DE Jazz festival concludes 10/18. Bettye is scheduled to appear tonight 10/17. The booklet for the festival has this to say in the write up on her:

". . . LaVette signed with Motown Records in 1982 and recorded a much-praised album, "Tell Me A Lie." It was produced by Steve Buckingham and produced one chart hit, "Right In The Middle of Love." Miss LaVette appeared with Smokey Robinson on Soul Train to promote the album and was reunited with old friend, Don Cornelius. . . ."

You learn something new each and every day. I was totally unaware of his tie in with Motown.

Quote Originally Posted by woodward View Post
    I routinely see mention of Bettye LaVette but I must admit I know little if anything about her. I knew she was popular in the Detroit area but I had no idea she was actually a contracted Motown artist.

The Rehoboth Beach, DE Jazz festival concludes 10/18. Bettye is scheduled to appear tonight 10/17. The booklet for the festival has this to say in the write up on her:

". . . LaVette signed with Motown Records in 1982 and recorded a much-praised album, "Tell Me A Lie." It was produced by Steve Buckingham and produced one chart hit, "Right In The Middle of Love." Miss LaVette appeared with Smokey Robinson on Soul Train to promote the album and was reunited with old friend, Don Cornelius. . . ."

You learn something new each and every day. I was totally unaware of his tie in with Motown.
    Bettye is a Detroit Original and by that I mean she was on the entertainment scene in Detroit back during the days when Detroit was really hopping and Motown was just being formed. Everyone knew her that sang in those days. Now EVERYONE knows her as the magnificent singer, performer she is today.

People like to give titles to their favorite artists, well then Ms. Bettye LaVette is the "Queen of Modern Soul and Blues! "

Attachment 10369

Here's a song I loved by Miss Bettye, but will probably never hear her sing it live LOL! The vocals, the lyrics are superb in my opinion. From the Fall of 1978 and "Doin' the Best That I Can":

Last edited by marv2; 10-17-2015 at 11:28 AM. Reason: Changed the version of this song.

From 1965 and Shindig........."Let Me Down Easy"

Bettye LaVette can sing anything and make it sound cool......................LOL! Check her out in this Christmas Special from 1991:

Miss Bettye sings so good, she can make even Chaka Khan cry!

Here's one of Bettye's singles for Motown........"Right In The Middle Of Falling In Love" from 1982.

Bettye's album "Tell Me A Lie" was issued on CD a few years ago by REEL Music when they were issuing Motown output. Now fairly expensive to buy.

This album was a major disappointment for Bettye, as she explains it in her book. She wasn't on the cover, intead they put a picture of a couple. What a shame !

Quote Originally Posted by phil View Post
    This album was a major disappointment for Bettye, as she explains it in her book. She wasn't on the cover, intead they put a picture of a couple. What a shame !

Nice picture, but that sucks that they didn't use Bettye.

The back page of the booklet has an alternate pic, which is what I use for the cover ...

Name:  BL.jpg
Views: 654
Size:  7.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by johnny_raven View Post
    The back page of the booklet has an alternate pic, which is what I use for the cover ...

Name:  BL.jpg
Views: 654
Size:  7.8 KB

That should have been the cover right there! Beautiful picture of Bettye and great artwork. Sometimes I have to question the sanity of some of these record companies.

I think it was originally supposed to be the cover ...

I mean it wasn't like it was what Motown thought they had to do in the early 60s with some of their album covers.

I liked Neil Young's recording of this song, but I love Bettye LaVette's version.................

Bettye LaVette - Heart of Gold - Live in London 2012

Bettye Lavette Sings Bob Seger...............................in DETROIT! It does not get any better than this! Whew!

Indeed it was Johnny as the album was originally entitled simply "Bettye Lavette" with its original catalogue number of Motown M8-964M1 before being re-titled with new artwork and a new catalogue number of 6000ML.

Ivor

Quote Originally Posted by phil View Post

I just noticed the guy slipping off his wedding ring. LOL!

I have seen Bettye in concert four times in the last five years. She never disappoints!

Bettye is not just a legend of Detroit music, she's a legend of music, period.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Bettye is not just a legend of Detroit music, she's a legend of music, period.
    Now that is something I can totally agree with. Did you know she spent 6 years starring in "Bubbling Brown Sugar"? She performed with Cab Calloway.

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    I have seen Bettye in concert four times in the last five years. She never disappoints!
    I keep missing Miss Bettye in either Detroit or NYC. When she is here, I am out of town and vice versa!

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Now that is something I can totally agree with. Did you know she spent 6 years starring in "Bubbling Brown Sugar"? She performed with Cab Calloway.
    Yeah I heard. I saw a quote of her quoting a conversation with Cab in her book. She surely has led such a great life.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Yeah I heard. I saw a quote of her quoting a conversation with Cab in her book. She surely has led such a great life.
    One worthy of a Bio-Pic.......................................!

Finally read her autobio this summer; LaVette takes absolutely no prisoners.

Apologies if this is a repost:

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    Finally read her autobio this summer; LaVette takes absolutely no prisoners.

Apologies if this is a repost:

This is not a repost sansradio. I did see this interview recently and it is great. Miss Bettye definitely does not takes no prisoners!

For info, Bettye Lavette's "Right In The Middle [[Of Falling In Love)" is on the Hitsville USA Motown Singles Collection Volume 2 [[1972-1992).

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    For info, Bettye Lavette's "Right In The Middle [[Of Falling In Love)" is on the Hitsville USA Motown Singles Collection Volume 2 [[1972-1992).
    Thank you mysterysinger.

Bettye LaVette is one of the few artists that can be included in that exclusive group of those whose voices are just as strong as they were over 50 years ago..................

Attachment 10432

I never understood the cover of Betty's Motown LP. I bought it on CD when it was recently released but, I must admit, I don't play it often. Even back in the day I only played Tell Me A Lie a few times. I much prefer her more recent material.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    One worthy of a Bio-Pic.......................................!
    For real! There are biographies and then there is Bettye's book. Definitely like to see it turned into a movie, no holds barred!

That WAS supposed to be the cover. Bettye gave Paul at Reel Music the photo and they purposely put it on the back page of the booklet so you could see it AS the cover.