[REMOVE ADS]

Gladys knight on being kicked off tour with supremes, pips break up, new music & more

This is a great interview that was posted here last week. Lots of info and a fun interview. A smile on my face as I watched it.

And since you headlined it, I will make mention of Gladys's Diana story in the interview. In the previous thread of the interview here last week

http://soulfuldetroit.com/showthread...015-[[35-mins-)

The Diana story was handled with dignity by the members here in that it was ignored. As was said in the interview, "We all goitta grow up".

Watch the interview. It is fun and Gladys is a treast

You gotta love Gladys. She is always good value in everything she does. Long live the real Queen of Soul!!!

RossHolloway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    You gotta love Gladys. She is always good value in everything she does. Long live the real Queen of Soul!!!
    Aretha Franklin is the only Queen of Soul so you'd better watch it.

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    This is a great interview that was posted here last week. Lots of info and a fun interview. A smile on my face as I watched it.

And since you headlined it, I will make mention of Gladys's Diana story in the interview. In the previous thread of the interview here last week

http://soulfuldetroit.com/showthread...015-[[35-mins-)

The Diana story was handled with dignity by the members here in that it was ignored. As was said in the interview, "We all goitta grow up".

Watch the interview. It is fun and Gladys is a treast
    Didn't realize that it was already posted . Thank you for informing me. I don't visit the Motown forum that often but yes, agree that Gladys is a treat.

Aretha Franklin is the Queen of Soul. Gladys Knight is known as the Empress of Soul.

what was that show where I think Gladys and patti and maybe Dionne didn't look too pleased with Aretha or vice versa?

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    what was that show where I think Gladys and patti and maybe Dionne didn't look too pleased with Aretha or vice versa?
    Was it an oprah winfrey special?

I think so. I think the queen was in a mood. I found it interesting how interviewer here kept referring to Diana and Gladys kept responding with "the Supremes "and "they".

supremester Guest
    Gladys has been using this old nugget as a carrot to dangle to get press. It was the lead item on Insider two weeks ago - not Gladys Knight has a New CD" but, "The FEUD Between Diana Ross & Gladys Knight" they didn't mention it was 48 years ago in the teaser or why they were taken off the tour.

I think so. I think the queen was in a mood. I found it interesting how interviewer here kept referring to Diana and Gladys kept responding with "the Supremes "and "they".
    I noticed that too. The comments are definitely pro Gladys Knight and, well pretty harsh against Miss ross.

I would think this my have contributed to Gladys and Pips wanting to leave Motown...to have your own record label remove you from a tour because you were doing so good!!

I would think this my have contributed to Gladys and Pips wanting to leave Motown...to have your own record label remove you from a tour because you were doing so good!!
    Ridiculous, right? I mean imagine............................

Gladys is a queen to ME... Aretha is only queen of chicken, neck bones, and underwire bras! LOL

Gladys has certainly maintained her superb talent and is the only member of royalty to maintain since the 1950s!!

Gladys has certainly maintained her superb talent and is the only member of royalty to maintain since the 1950s!!
    Here is seven year old Gladys in 1952 singing Too Young. What an amazing career which is still going strong and she continues to sound and look great.
    Last edited by milven; 10-16-2015 at 12:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jillfoster View Post
    Gladys is a queen to ME... Aretha is only queen of chicken, neck bones, and underwire bras! LOL
    I would have perhaps put it more tactfully but I agree in principle to what you are saying. Gladys will always be the first lady of soul to me.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Aretha Franklin is the Queen of Soul. Gladys Knight is known as the Empress of Soul.
    I know that Marv. What I meant what that as my personal favourite Gladys is my own Queen of Soul. I also love Aretha and would never diss such a great lady. It is all a matter of personal preference. There is plenty of room for both of these ladies but in my opinion it is Gladys who continues to retain virtually all of her vocal power.

I would have perhaps put it more tactfully but I agree in principle to what you are saying. Gladys will always be the first lady of soul to me.
    In my opinion, she's the best singer I've ever heard.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic Truth View Post
    In my opinion, she's the best singer I've ever heard.
    You go tell it like it is Cosmic Truth!!!

This story reminds me of the old classic tale of getting rid of the competition by all means necessary. It also adds weight to the long and often told story of how Motown began to neglect the Supremes once Diane was out of the group!

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    This story reminds me of the old classic tale of getting rid of the competition by all means necessary. It also adds weight to the long and often told story of how Motown began to neglect the Supremes once Diane was out of the group!
    I don't care what anyone says but Motown did lose interest in the Supremes when Diana departed, but we are going over old ground here so we had perhaps best move on.

stay on point!!!!! this thread is about Gladys Knight!! "We ALL HAVE TO GROW UP"!!!!!!lol!!
    Last edited by dvus7; 10-19-2015 at 03:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dvus7 View Post
    stay on pint!!!!! this thread is about Gladys Knight!! "We ALL HAVE TO GROW UP"!!!!!!lol!!
    You're right Dvus. How have you been?

Hey, Marv

I have been fine...how about yourself?

Quote Originally Posted by dvus7 View Post
    Hey, Marv

I have been fine...how about yourself?
    I'm good thanks. It is a busy time right now here.

I love me some Gladys Knight,she is The Empress Of Soul,The Best.

Quote Originally Posted by REDHOT View Post
    I love me some Gladys Knight,she is The Empress Of Soul,The Best.
    She most certainly is my friend!!!

Her performance at NYC's Apollo will be telecast this Saturday at 10 pm on Oprah's channel OWN.

http://soulfuldetroit.com/showthread...849#post305849

when I saw Diana Ross & the Supremes LIVE at the Orlando Sports Stadium in 1968, Gladys Knight & the Pips were the UNADVERTISED opening act.We couldn't believe our good fortune. It was SOLD OUT anyway, then I heard from a friend in Jacksonville that not only was Gladys Knight & the Pips but also Martha Reeves & the Vandellas were the UNADVERTISED opening acts.

Quote Originally Posted by motony View Post
    when I saw Diana Ross & the Supremes LIVE at the Orlando Sports Stadium in 1968, Gladys Knight & the Pips were the UNADVERTISED opening act.We couldn't believe our good fortune. It was SOLD OUT anyway, then I heard from a friend in Jacksonville that not only was Gladys Knight & the Pips but also Martha Reeves & the Vandellas were the UNADVERTISED opening acts.
    That must have been some show!!

oh yea, ofcourse there was an intermission before Diana, Mary & Cindy came out BUT they really proved why they were the superstars.

oh yea, ofcourse there was an intermission before Diana, Mary & Cindy came out BUT they really proved why they were the superstars.
    I can only imagine!!!

I agree. BG was on a power trip then. I don't care how your FAVORITE artist felt, let that other artist shine...

But I love how Gladys said "look we were all kids back then, gotta grow up". Shoot artists today are so immature it makes old school tales like this sound like Mary Poppins lol

OH MY, talk about a SUPERSTAR BILLING!!! A mini Motortown Revue without it being titled as such. Gladys, Martha & Diana in one bill. DAYUM! Lol

Gladys will always outperform you though. There's a reason why she's the star of her shows, once Gladys is done, you're left wondering what to do next LOL

I love how she reacted to Patti's recent antics: "I gotta call Patti!" LOL