[REMOVE ADS]

Grace jones autobiography available next month [[sept)

She stated that if she didn't writ eit someone else would. Should definitely be an interesting read http://www.amazon.com/Ill-Never-Writ...ds=grace+jones

Quote Originally Posted by glencro View Post
    She stated that if she didn't writ eit someone else would. Should definitely be an interesting read http://www.amazon.com/Ill-Never-Writ...ds=grace+jones

I think you might want to close your eyes half of the times when reading this one! LOL!

Hey, thanks, glencro. Got my copy pre-ordered! As a side note, back in the late 1970's, I worked with a friend who went to school with Grace Jones in Syracuse, NY. They were best friends. Can hardly wait to read it!

Thanks.....pre-ordered my copy. I saw on her debut album in 1977. It was the first time I had ever seen anyone perform with only a backing track tape. In classic outrageous Grace Jones style, she road in on a motorcycle in the middle of a dance club floor performing "La Vie En Rose" and "I Need a Man". No one knew what to make of it at the time. It was beyond camp!
    Her best album though was the one with "Warm Leatherette" transforming alternative rock songs into alternative dance.

I just saw Grace Jones headline the AfroPunk festival in Brooklyn, NY last weekend. She is quite the spectacle. It's hard to describe because she's not much of a singer but she is completely enthralling. With a live band, her 80s music is very infectious and the crowd was so excited and enthusiastic it was impossible not to be swept away. I imagine it was the reaction that someone like Josephine Baker would have inspired decades ago.

I will get the book, too. She seems like she has lived quite a life.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy View Post
    I just saw Grace Jones headline the AfroPunk festival in Brooklyn, NY last weekend. She is quite the spectacle. It's hard to describe because she's not much of a singer but she is completely enthralling. With a live band, her 80s music is very infectious and the crowd was so excited and enthusiastic it was impossible not to be swept away. I imagine it was the reaction that someone like Josephine Baker would have inspired decades ago.

I always found her to be quite a disturbing character. Cannot say I ever got anything out of her music, and her voice is certainly not up to much but she was always top notch entertainment on the chat show circuit. Who in the UK can ever forget her infamous appearance on the Russell Harty show when she began hitting the host when she thought she was being ignored. Priceless.

I envy you; I would have loved to have attended Afropunk. I think your Josephine Baker comment is spot-on. I have to disagree, though, in that I think Ms. Jones is a wonderful singer; limited in range perhaps but otherwise intuitively musical. Her records are amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertZ View Post
    I envy you; I would have loved to have attended Afropunk. I think your Josephine Baker comment is spot-on. I have to disagree, though, in that I think Ms. Jones is a wonderful singer; limited in range perhaps but otherwise intuitively musical. Her records are amazing.
    I guess it is different strokes for different folks. That's what makes this forum so interesting RobertZ.

Grace Jones is an excellent singer. Can't wait to get my copy of her book

As I have many times during my life had to defend the legendary Miss Ross against misguided, ill-informed, ignorant claims that she "could not sing" [[can you imagine that??!!!) I will allow that Grace Jones is a good singer whom I have not yet learned to appreciate as a singer. She is visually stunning and a fantastic performer.

As I have many times during my life had to defend the legendary Miss Ross against misguided, ill-informed, ignorant claims that she "could not sing" [[can you imagine that??!!!) I will allow that Grace Jones is a good singer whom I have not yet learned to appreciate as a singer. She is visually stunning and a fantastic performer.
    I agree she is visually stunning, and I am also with you when I agree she is a singer I have not yet learned to appreciate as a singer. Sadly I don't think I ever will but maybe that is my problem.

She can sing....................

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    She can sing....................

Maybe she can but what I hear here is not my idea of good singing. Just my opinion.

Grace is the complete entertainer

Quote Originally Posted by copley View Post

Grace is the complete entertainer
    Maybe I am in the minority but I just don't get the appeal of Grace Jones, but I am glad that some of you guys hear good things that I don't. As we said previously all a matter of personal opinion. Enjoy.

Yes Bluebrock, it's different strokes for different folks

Unfortunately, judging from these excerpts, this book no longer seems promising:
    http://www.timeout.com/london/music/...ley-gaga-kanye

Unfortunately, judging from these excerpts, this book no longer seems promising:
    Thanks for the link. I am eagerly anticipating her book. It appears written in her own voice -- imperious, eccentric and completely self-absorbed. However, she really is a highly influential artist and I am not bothered that she has a sense of that. She is a true original and was so very unique that for a long time she was a shocking, almost frightening, personage. She has every right to luxuriate in that now .

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    Maybe I am in the minority but I just don't get the appeal of Grace Jones, but I am glad that some of you guys hear good things that I don't. As we said previously all a matter of personal opinion. Enjoy.
    Because she's not just an everyday singer. What she does is PERFORMANCE ART.

Quote Originally Posted by jillfoster View Post
    Because she's not just an everyday singer. What she does is PERFORMANCE ART.
    Lavish praise indeed! I guess I am just not into "performance art". Would you also class Madonna as "performance art"? She is an artist whom I know cannot sing very well but for some strange reason I do like her. Strange but true.

It's here! Downloaded to my kindle today. I will probably dig in this weekend.

I saw Grace Jones [[again!) at the Hollywood Bowl this past weekend and she was even more spectacular the second time around.

Grace Jones is amazing. That's all.

Yeah, you can say that again! I did my part -- I pre-ordered the book and it's been shipped. After reading the above excerpts, I don't care if I never read it. I'm no prude, believe me, but some of her remarks are downright disgusting. So much for hearing about her recording-session experiences with Tom Moulton. Damn! And I was looking forward to this one.
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 09-30-2015 at 12:38 AM.