[REMOVE ADS]

Five Best Songs From Eaten Alive

Interesting take, though "Experience" is my favorite -

Quote Originally Posted by RobertZ View Post
    Interesting take, though "Experience" is my favorite -
    I think I generally agree with this except I would put "crimes of passion" in place of "eaten alive". I also like "experience" but it was the wrong follow up single to "chain reaction" in the UK.

My favorite is also "Experience" I can play this one over and over. Love it!

Eaten Alive is my favorite D.R. album of all time. I consider it to be magical in a sense. I really would like D.R. to team up with Barry Gibb again for one more album... even if it's her recording past songs of his/The Bee Gees. I think her takes on old Bee Gees songs, as well as their compositions recorded by her contemporaries Barbra Streisand, Dionne Warwick, etc. would be interesting to hear. I said this in an old thread, but I would like her to re-record the whole Eaten Alive album and focus more on getting the vocals just right - it's to my understanding Eaten Alive was not 100% because she did not memorize the songs beforehand, and that pissed off the Gibb brothers.

EATEN ALIVE was one of the few Diana albums that I couldn't get into. I love the songs EXPERIENCE and CHAIN REACTION. But to this day, I hardly if ever play it, and can barely recall what the songs on Side 2 sound like.

Quote Originally Posted by Koach View Post
    Eaten Alive is my favorite D.R. album of all time. I consider it to be magical in a sense. I really would like D.R. to team up with Barry Gibb again for one more album... even if it's her recording past songs of his/The Bee Gees. I think her takes on old Bee Gees songs, as well as their compositions recorded by her contemporaries Barbra Streisand, Dionne Warwick, etc. would be interesting to hear. I said this in an old thread, but I would like her to re-record the whole Eaten Alive album and focus more on getting the vocals just right - it's to my understanding Eaten Alive was not 100% because she did not memorize the songs beforehand, and that pissed off the Gibb brothers.
    It's a very "specific" album, so I can see why a good percentage of fans rate EA as a favorite. I like, but don't love, it. Ms. Ross doesn't sound quite like herself on several cuts, and there's just something about the LP that doesn't entirely "click" for me - my problem. But I have to say that when FTG did their big Ross-RCA-re-release program last year [[I bought 'em all!) I was pleasantly surprised and I now play the disc when I'm in an "I want to hear Diana but I'm played out on everything else" mood, and it does not dissappoint.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    I think I generally agree with this except I would put "crimes of passion" in place of "eaten alive". I also like "experience" but it was the wrong follow up single to "chain reaction" in the UK.
    Entirely agree with this.

Eaten Alive is one of Diana's most under-rated albums.

For some reason as opposed to other periods in the 80s Diana generally did better with uptempo numbers rather than ballads in the UK.

Crime Of Passion should have been the follow-up to Chain Reaction although on my part this is hindsight talking. At the time I have to admit I thought Experience would be a pretty big hit.

No way would I have Eaten Alive among the five - it was a complete mess. It and One More Chance are my two least favourite DR singles.

Often when I am online I will stream the [[I Love) Being In Love With You/ Crime Of Passion/ Don't Give Up On Each Other segment from this album - pure heaven!

I think it is one of her most underrated albums as well.

But I do not think Don't Give Up On Each Other belongs on this list.

If Diana had been younger, if the Gibbs hadn't already had hits on everybody else [[Dionne, Barbra, themselves), if Diana hadn't had the massive string of hits from 1979 to 1982 ~ this could easily have been a huge hit.

No one stays at #1 forever.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    I think it is one of her most underrated albums as well.

But I do not think Don't Give Up On Each Other belongs on this list.

If Diana had been younger, if the Gibbs hadn't already had hits on everybody else [[Dionne, Barbra, themselves), if Diana hadn't had the massive string of hits from 1979 to 1982 ~ this could easily have been a huge hit.

No one stays at #1 forever.
    Good point jobeterob. It is a good album that could easily have been a great one with a little tinkering here and there. "crimes of passion" remains the great hit that should have been in my opinion. Maybe this album should have been recorded and released a few years earlier. All ifs buts and maybes.

Interesting selection...but where are the "Oh Teacher" fans? That and "Crime of Passion" were my jams.

ROLLING STONE gave it a good review and said that it was unsuccessful because of the wrong choice for the first single, the title track.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    ROLLING STONE gave it a good review and said that it was unsuccessful because of the wrong choice for the first single, the title track.
    Spot on! Just because Jacko was involved didn't mean it was a good song. The vocal interplay between Diana and Michael was excellent but where was the song? It should never have been a single at all imo.