[REMOVE ADS]

honest man Guest

little xmas tree /michael jackson2 versions, which-where

hello nearly that time again,i havethe 2 versions of this song one on vinyl, the other on cd.have both versions been issued on cd,if so can someone let me know.would love to have the 2 versions on my xmas motown cdr. any help appreciated, cheers ,thank you.

honest man Guest
    Hello again, thought i'd ask, could someone post the 2 versions of michael jackson's LITTLE XMAS TREE please,thank you, cheers

pshark Guest
    Sorry I don't. But I'd like to state that co writing credit says George Clinton but it's not that George Clinton. Read on:

* Home
    * The Artist
    o News Read all official Michael Jackson news »
    o Photos See all official Michael Jackson photos »
    o Tributes Share tributes to Michael Jackson with fans worldwide »
    o Bio
    o Timeline Experience Michael Jackson’s career from the beginning »
    o Awards See all of the awards Michael Jackson has received »
    o Achievements See all Michael Jackson career achievements »
    * Music & Lyrics
    Albums
    This Is It
    Thriller 25 Super De...
    Michael Jackson 25th...
    o Albums
    o This Is It All about the This Is It movie and album »
    o Podcast Listen to all Michael Jackson podcasts »
    * Videos
    o Music Videos Watch all Michael Jackson videos »
    * Fans & Forum
    o Forum Read and contribute to the Michael Jackson community »
    o Fan Galleries See all Michael Jackson fan photos »
    o Extras Download Michael Jackson wallpapers, buddy icons & more »
    o Mobile
    * Store

E-mail address: *
    Michael Jackson MICHAEL JACKSON & THE STORY BEHIND “LITTLE CHRISTMAS TREE” with LYRICS & SONG [[YOUTUBE)
    United States
    Saturday, December 4, 2010 - 17:05
    debcrn:
    MICHAEL JACKSON & THE STORY BEHIND “LITTLE CHRISTMAS TREE” with LYRICS & SONG [[YOUTUBE)

MICHAEL JACKSON & THE STORY BEHIND “LITTLE CHRISTMAS TREE”
    by Artie Wayne

“It’s summer of 1973 and Ed Silvers, President of Warner Brothers Music, is losing his patience with me. He thinks I’m spending far too much time trying to get our songs cut at Motown. Although I secure songs in our catalog by some of their biggest artists, they’re only album cuts. Ed is convinced that I’ll never get a single released by Motown.
    I know at this point that the only way I could have a chance for a hit and escape the wrath of Ed, is to get a cover by the Jackson 5 or little Michael. There was only one staff writer at Warner Brothers music who could write in a classic R+B style, George S. Clinton, Jr.

I go to the two producers who love George’s writing the most, Jerry Marcellino and Mel Larson, who just had big hits with 12 year old Michael on “Rockin’ Robin” and “Little Bitty Pretty One” [[which was my suggestion). They tell me that “Ben”, from the movie of the same name, is racing up the charts and Berry Gordy wants each of his producers to start recording new sides with him.

I sit with Jerry and Mel and we talk about what kind of song they should record with Michael. I suggest a Christmas song, one so commercial that it could be the follow up single to, “Ben”. When I see their eyes light up, I tell them that George S. Clinton, Jr. and I have started such a song! When they ask to hear it, I tell them we were still working on it, when in fact we hadn’t even started! I can’t tell them the title, ’cause there isn’t any! I do tell them, however, that it’s a true story of how my girlfriend left me out in the cold like the last tree in a Christmas tree lot, which is left unsold on Christmas Eve. They freak out and say they had to have the finished song by Monday. I say, “No problem”

I call George, who knows nothing about any of this as soon as I get back to my office. He can’t believe I told them we’d have a finished song to them by Monday, when it’s Friday and we haven’t even started.

Saturday morning we meet at my office. It’s the middle of summer, about 90 degrees, but we have to get in a Christmas Mood. As I tell George about my break up with Diana last Christmas, then I start to throw Ivory Snowflakes around the room. Soon, we have the first verse and chorus.”

“Little Christmas Tree, looking sorta’ sad and lonely just like me
    No one seems to care, they just went away and left him standing there…All alone on Christmas Eve!”

On Monday morning George does a piano voice demo, and I get it to Jerry and Mel that afternoon. They love it so much that they knock one of their own songs off the date and cut ours.

I’m almost in tears when I hear the finished record the following week with the news that it’s being considered for the follow-up to “Ben”, which had just hit number one! You can imagine how I feel a few weeks later when Berry Gordy, Jr. decides not put out any follow up to the Oscar nominated “Ben”, until the Academy Awards are given out…which is after Christmas! A few days later I come up with a plan and present it to Motown. I suggest that the company puts a double albums worth of previously recorded Christmas songs by each of their hit artists, along with “Little Christmas Tree”. The double album is called “A Motown Christmas”, which includes cuts by Stevie Wonder, The Supremes, The Temptations, Smokey Robinson and the Miracles, Diana Ross, and it’s released just in time for the holidays.”

LINK TO SONG:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gjn2dv2ZqQ

“LITTLE CHRISTMAS TREE” By George S. Clinton, Jr. and Artie Wayne

I watch the snowflakes fall
    against my window plain
    and wonder if you
    are watching snowflakes too?

I take a walk downtown
    to where you used to meet me
    There’s joy everywhere
    but all that waiting there is just a…

LITTLE CHRISTMAS TREE
    Looking sorta’ sad and lonely just like me
    No one seems to care
    They just went away and left it standing there
    All alone on Christmas eve

I hear the Christmas bells
    The happy people singing
    The songs of the chill that only brings me tears
    I sadly close my eyes
    and say a little prayer you’ll be waiting there for me
    I look but all I see is

LITTLE CHRISTMAS TREE
    Looking sorta’ sad and lonely just like me
    No one seems to care

This is the season of love
    [[This is the season of love)
    But I’m as sad as I can be
    [[sad as can be)
    Why did you have to leave me
    [[Why did you leave me)
    [[Why did you leave me)

LITTLE CHRISTMAS TREE
    Looking sorta sad and lonely just like me
    No one seems to care

Copyright 1973/2009 by Warner Brothers Music

Written by George S. Clinton Jr and Artie Wayne, “LITTLE CHRISTMAS TREE” Originally released in 1973 on Motown Records, as part of “A MOTOWN CHRISTMAS”, is currently is on the new “Ultimate Jackson 5″ Christmas album.

LINK TO PIX OF LP:

http://artiewayne.files.wordpress.co...-a-motown-chri..
    http://www.michaeljackson.com/sg/node/1025131

honest man Guest
    pshark, thank you for taking the time to post your interesting story of the song,im still searching for the 2 takes,something tells me i do have both on cd,but time a problem at the moment,thank you all the same,cheers.

Loved the story behind the song, haven't got my christmas cd's out yet still a bit too soon for all that merry music, bah humbug!

uptight Guest
    I thought I was pretty familiar with this track. I don't believe I have heard an alternate version. Do you mean there is an alternate vocal or alternate mix?

honest man Guest
    hello yes there are 2 versions with alt lyrics

can you elaborate more Honest Man.. Little Christmas Tree appears on quite a few run-of-the-mill compilations now and i've never heard any alternate version. i don't hear any difference between the vinyl and first and second CD editions of A Motown Christmas either? are you referring to the rare 45 of the song perhaps??
    Last edited by waldo; 12-13-2010 at 10:30 PM.

honest man Guest
    Hello i am sure the vocals-lyrics are different on the motown xmas album various artists, the one with the SANTA ON STEP WITH MILK BOTTLES sleeve, i have been in loft trying to locate, have misplaced them, hope someone can confirm, cheers

ahhh yes i think i know what you mean, that album was issued in the UK cat# STML 12037 as The Motown Christmas Album. it was similiar to the US A MOTOWN CHRISTMAS and it does indeed have Santa and milk bottles on the cover. i haven't compared the version on there with the any of the LP/CD versions of A MOTOWN CHRISTMAS.

Last edited by waldo; 12-16-2010 at 10:33 AM.