[REMOVE ADS]

A supremes anthology question

Maybe this has been discussed,but why wasn't[the tears-mary on lead-buttered popcorn-flo on lead]included on the supremes anthology album?

If you are referring to the first vinyl issue from 1973, it's because Motown felt the public was not familiar enough with those songs. And they weren't.

If you believe that i got a bridge in brooklyn to sell you,and i guess the public just ate up[let me go the right way]hmmmmm?????

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    If you believe that i got a bridge in brooklyn to sell you,and i guess the public just ate up[let me go the right way]hmmmmm?????
    LOL!!!! hehehehehehehehehe..................!

Hehehehehehehehehe! Bayou Motown man speaks the truth.
    The facts speak for themselves, rather than scoffs and false conjectures
    'The Tears' would not see release until 1986 on "Never Before Released Masters From Today's Brightest Stars- The 1960's" and "Buttered Popcorn" failed to chart either pop or
    r & b. The public at large would have been unfamiliar with either song in 1973.
    And suprise! 'Let Me Go Right' did rather well on the r & b chart, peaking at #26, although on the pop chart it only made it into the top 100 at #90.

honest man Guest
    Maybe this has been discussed,but why wasn't[the tears-mary on lead-buttered popcorn-flo on lead]included on the supremes anthology album?
    they were rubbish songs and did not deserve to be added

It is true: "The truth will set you free"!

Listen up folks...the word[anthology]means[a collection of]so just like i asked the temps question i wonder about the omission of these two songs,i don't care if they sold big or not they were part of the group's history they shoulda been included!!!

Listen up folks...the word[anthology]means[a collection of]so just like i asked the temps question i wonder about the omission of these two songs,i don't care if they sold big or not they were part of the group's history they shoulda been included!!!
    I agree. I don't personally care for them but the very fact they exist should have meant their inclusion.

Thank you bluebrock.

Unless someone can demonstrate otherwise, all songs that a group recorded [[released and unreleased) are part of their history.
    The owners of the songs/recordings are those who decide what to release from that particular history and owe us no explanation as to their decisions.
    And, as has been demonstrated, one of the songs that you wish had been included on a 1973 release was still in the vaults until 1986.
    And you did mock Bayou Motown Man's answer to your question by suggesting that a song that was included shouldn't have been included because it did not sell well and therefore was not well known. It appears that you are now talking out of both sides of your mouth here.

The original Anthology collection didn't include unreleased material so I can understand why THE TEARS wasn't included.

Re BUTTERED POPCORN, one could make a stronger argument for its inclusion as it was a single. However, it didn't chart. And even though the ANTHOLOGY series was meant to be more than a regular greatest hits collection, if they had included every single the girls had before WHERE DID OUR LOVE GO, there wouldn't have been a major hit featured until near the end of Side 2. Those compiling the collection might have thought that was too long to wait.
    Last edited by reese; 09-23-2015 at 11:32 AM.

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaa...hi carole,i'm always talking out of both sides but not this time,read the last thing i posted above...bye carol.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    The original Anthology collection didn't include unreleased material so I can understand why THE TEARS wasn't included.

Re BUTTERED POPCORN, one could make a stronger argument for its inclusion as it was a single. However, it didn't chart. And even though the ANTHOLOGY series was meant to be more than a regular greatest hits collection, if they had included every single the girls had before WHERE DID OUR LOVE GO, there wouldn't have been a major hit featured until near the end of Side 2. Those compiling the collection might have thought that was too long to wait.
    This makes the most sense. As I recall, the vinyl Anthology included a few songs which were already pretty unfamiliar to most Supremes fans, such as "Let Me Go the Right Way," "Breath Taking Guy," and "Run Run Run." I knew these songs as album tracks but had no idea any of them were singles.

At the time I purchased the Anthology, I thought it was a great overview of the girls' career. Half of Side 1 gave an inkling as to how the girls developed while trying to find their own sound. It even had a side devoted to their concept LPs, such as Liverpool/Sam Cooke/C&W/Rodgers and Hart and even one track from Funny Girl. I think it was brilliantly conceived and back then a 3-LP set was pretty rare on its own.

I always thought the producers did a great job on this set.

"Let Me Go The Right Way" bw "Time Changes Things" was the first record I bought by the Supremes and to this day are 2 of my faves by them because they were a real group with tight harmonies.

Same for me motony. My older brother bought it and I heard those harmonies coming from his room and that's how I got hooked !

Quote Originally Posted by BayouMotownMan View Post
    If you are referring to the first vinyl issue from 1973, it's because Motown felt the public was not familiar enough with those songs. And they weren't.

It came out in 1974.

Quote Originally Posted by carole cucumber View Post
    Unless someone can demonstrate otherwise, all songs that a group recorded [[released and unreleased) are part of their history.
    The owners of the songs/recordings are those who decide what to release from that particular history and owe us no explanation as to their decisions.
    And, as has been demonstrated, one of the songs that you wish had been included on a 1973 release was still in the vaults until 1986.
    And you did mock Bayou Motown Man's answer to your question by suggesting that a song that was included shouldn't have been included because it did not sell well and therefore was not well known. It appears that you are now talking out of both sides of your mouth here.
    The anthology did not come out in 1973. It was released in 1974!

Quote Originally Posted by carole cucumber View Post
    Hehehehehehehehehe! Bayou Motown man speaks the truth.
    The facts speak for themselves, rather than scoffs and false conjectures
    'The Tears' would not see release until 1986 on "Never Before Released Masters From Today's Brightest Stars- The 1960's" and "Buttered Popcorn" failed to chart either pop or
    r & b. The public at large would have been unfamiliar with either song in 1973.
    And suprise! 'Let Me Go Right' did rather well on the r & b chart, peaking at #26, although on the pop chart it only made it into the top 100 at #90.
    Why do you keep saying 1973. You the wrong year from Bayouman and you are just running with huh?