[REMOVE ADS]

Newark Presents Keys To City to Diana

I'm envy diana,when i left newark back in the day,they locked the city up....and changed the lock.

How nice. I live less than 10 miles from Newark and had relatives there decades ago. A welcome gesture to this superior, beloved, one-of-a-kind entertainer.

I was at this show. It would have been nice if the mayor had presented it to her on stage in front of her audience after her encore, instead of backstage.

As for the show itself, I was a bit disappointed. I saw Diana here two years ago when Gloria Gaynor sang Survive with her and that show was more enjoyable.

This week Diana was fine and in fine voice and loving the audience but it seemed a little rushed and lasted less than ninety minutes. The big disappointment to me was her back up band. She only had a six piece band including synthesizer. Missing were the horns and the sax solo. Considering the size of the sold out house and the price of the ticket, the tacky little band looked and sounded out of place to a star of Diana's caliber and drawing power. A few years ago, Diana was at a smaller house in Englewood, NJ and she had a full orchestra with horns and strings on stage accompanying her. That show was fantastic.

A person sitting next to us said that the band and back up singers were different than previous shows. I couldn't tell. But I could easily tell that that the band was very small and too heavy on drums.

The audience stood up most of the time and many had their phones on recording. I am glad that we sat up a level in a box near the stage and got to see the audience and Diana and we did not have to stand throughout the show to see Diana. Watching the audience enjoy Diana was like watching a show within a show.

Another thing that happened that night was late seating. Shows there usually start at 8 pm. Diana's started at 730 and the tickets stated that. But the day before the performance, NJPAC send out emails to ticket holders saying that the show started at 8 pm. The day of performance, they send out another email saying that the show started at 730. So that caused confusion and many people were arriving after the show started. Diana starts her show on time and when 730 arrived, Diana made her appearance.

Will I see her the next time she is in the area? Of course. Had a great time and NJPAC is easy to get to, easy to park, and a restaurant was attached to the theatre. Only had to walk a few steps for parking, dinner and show. Loved it.
    Last edited by milven; 09-18-2015 at 08:44 PM.

Now Mayor Baraka, how about Newark's own Linda Jones, great female soul singer of the era?

Your Dad would tell you.

S.S.

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    I'm envy diana,when i left newark back in the day,they locked the city up....and changed the lock.
    I almost had my car stolen in Newark once.

Quote Originally Posted by Soul Sister View Post
    Now Mayor Baraka, how about Newark's own Linda Jones, great female soul singer of the era?

Your Dad would tell you.

S.S.
    Yes Amiri would!

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    Yeah, but I heard you walked out with every piece of silverware you could get your hands on! Every knife, spoon, and fork. I heard you then sneezed and every piece fell out of your coat! [[You gotta get a bigger coat!)

Quote Originally Posted by Methuselah2 View Post
    Yeah, but I heard you walked out with every piece of silverware you could get your hands on! Every knife, spoon, and fork. I heard you then sneezed and every piece fell out of your coat! [[You gotta get a bigger coat!)
    hehehehehehehehehehehe............................ ..............

Quote Originally Posted by methuselah2 View Post
    yeah, but i heard you walked out with every piece of silverware you could get your hands on! Every knife, spoon, and fork. I heard you then sneezed and every piece fell out of your coat! [[you gotta get a bigger coat!)
    opps-err-ahem-hehe...well you see i was trying to help greasy grady out in the kitchen,he didn't tell me that he was banned from the state.

GREAT HONOR !!! to get the key of any city.

These tours going on for 5 years together with the Vegas residency have been a massive success!

Quote Originally Posted by captainjames View Post
    GREAT HONOR !!! to get the key of any city.
    I know. Mary Wilson just received "The Spirit of Detroit" Award last month!

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I know. Mary Wilson just received "The Spirit of Detroit" Award last month!
    Isn't it nice that two former Supremes were given this honor?

Very nice!

Good on Diana. She really does appear to be in a good place at the moment.

Key to city although it is overlooked many times is a great honor and welcome as far as standing on ceremony and the invite at anytime.

A great honour indeed and very well deserved.