[REMOVE ADS]

No more water in the well-paul's last great lead!!

Gang i know that after the david ruffin era started the other temps were almost forgotten as far as leads,even eddie and especially paul,but berry missed buy not releasing the sensational[no more water in the well]paul is still as strong as ever and the great lyrics by smokey bring it all together,yes david was killing em but it would've been nice to let paul have his turn....this is the day you better plan on you won't have a leg to stand on,there'll be no more water in the well.....paul forever!!!!

Hey arr&bee,

Good point and great recording!

RossHolloway Guest
    Didn't someone on the old boards a few years back actually put together a list of Paul lead songs? And I'm suprised no one mentioned his track from A Cellar Full of Motown 4.

Ross: I'm a massive Paul fan but not keen on the track on Cellarful 4 - like his other solo sides Feel Like Giving Up and Once You Had A Heart the vocals just don't seem as strong as his Tempts leads... such as No More..., a tremendous track. I first heard it on my stereo copy of With A Lot O Soul. When I eventually got the CD version it seemed a different mix, with the organ [[probably Earl) way up front. Love both versions though.

I like his track "I Now See Clear Through The Tears" on the Temptations Lost & Found.

From the Lost and Found disc 'Last One Out is Brokenhearted' does it for me. IMHO he puts more soul into that that most other songs he has done. Of course, 'For Once In My Life' is up there also.

A great, great song. Paul and Smokey were a winning combo. Smokey also wrote and produced Paul on "I Want A Love I Can See" and "Don't Look Back", two classic tracks. "No More Water..." deserved to be a single release, or at least a b-side but that didn't happen. But as an lp track it did make it to "Emperors Of Soul" box set so more than just a few of us must have loved it. The Tempts had three lead singers, it's a shame that Paul didn't get as many leads. He was fantastic!

I was writing about this song yesterday and my puter crashed, anyway it was another great pairing of Paul & Eddie, not exactly a call and response but certainly a superior effort by two men who loved singing together who had a certain panache and vocal chemistry second to none, Paul was singing like "Dennis" forceful and direct, Eddie was right behind and beside him. They were so good at this it defies description. Part of the chorus was simply beautiful " This is the day you better plan on, You won't have a leg to stand on, Baby..." This has been one of my fav's since I was a young man, I can remember playing this album and Gettin Ready to death.......high school was a bitch.....

Name:  220px-Lot-o-soul-tempts.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  22.6 KB

topdiva1 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by sophisticated_soul View Post
    A great, great song. Paul and Smokey were a winning combo. Smokey also wrote and produced Paul on "I Want A Love I Can See" and "Don't Look Back", two classic tracks. "No More Water..." deserved to be a single release, or at least a b-side but that didn't happen. But as an lp track it did make it to "Emperors Of Soul" box set so more than just a few of us must have loved it. The Tempts had three lead singers, it's a shame that Paul didn't get as many leads. He was fantastic!
    "Don't Look Back" is now sung by Paul Williams join in the Temptations Revue starring Dennis Edwards - he does a great job - Hopefully he can also sing more of his dad's leads.

"No More Water In The Well", would have been a major hit for The Tempts, and could of perhaps gave Paul the spirit and push he needed.

Aw that Motown - what a place - what a legend - so many stars - so little time.