[REMOVE ADS]

"Nightflight" Tue Sept 1, 9P-12M ET: More MOTOWN RARE TO RADIO!!

Howdy, Folks! Happy September! Autumn is just around the corner ...almost...thank God! Tonight on my radio show "Nightflight" let me bring more MOTOWN to you...MOTOWN that's rare to radio. That will include album tracks, "B" sides, and tracks that lay in the vaults for decades after they were recorded. That's tonight...Sept 1, 9P-12M ET on WOMR 92.1 FM Provincetown and webcasting at www.womr.org Thanks! See you on the radio! JohnName:  MOTOWNISMIRACULOUS.jpg
Views: 245
Size:  41.6 KB

Me thinks they need some bowls, spoons, and a chef's hat!
    Hmmh.... just what do you have cooked up for us, Johnny?
    We'll just have to wait and see.

Might you have the Jean Terrell led "That's The Way You Made Me Love You"?

That has to be one of my favorite Motown album covers.

Quote Originally Posted by carole cucumber View Post
    Me thinks they need some bowls, spoons, and a chef's hat!
    Hmmh.... just what do you have cooked up for us, Johnny?
    We'll just have to wait and see.

Might you have the Jean Terrell led "That's The Way You Made Me Love You"?
    Well, Carole...I think I can find some scruffy old version of that somewhere for ya!

Quote Originally Posted by thanxal View Post
    That has to be one of my favorite Motown album covers.
    I know, Brent...such a great shot! I love the black and white....so many varied grey tones on it!

Name:  MOTOWNIS HARMONY.jpg
Views: 245
Size:  47.4 KB

...in the studio....HOWDY!!!

Howdy John.

Looking forward to the show. All I need is that I'll be satisfied!

Must have been something in the PTown air. I was at the Carnival parade 10 days ago. I've had a cold with a touch of bronchitis since the day after. Symptoms gone but still feeling tired. I haven't had a cold in years - I hate summer colds.

All I Need is a good night's sleep which should come after 3 hours of Motown. Don't call a doctor a nurse is worse [[sorry John!).

Quote Originally Posted by midnight johnny View Post
    Well, Carole...I think I can find some scruffy old version of that somewhere for ya!
    I just came in for Marvin & Tammi; I hope that I didn't miss Miss Jean Terrell.

I had to use last week's link to get here. This week's link kept taking me to facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    Howdy John.

Looking forward to the show. All I need is that I'll be satisfied!
    Hello there, Martin!!!

Since you brought up Andy, George & Kevin , there was a post on Aug 25 at the Diana Ross & the Supremes Expanded Edition Facebook page that states:

"I know it's all been said before but please know that even though Universal isn't interested in expanded editions we are doing everything we can to keep them coming and we won't quit until it happens!"

Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    I had to use last week's link to get here. This week's link kept taking me to facebook.
    This week's link did the same thing for me..... I typed WOMR into a search engine to get here.

Hello there, Martin!!!
    Hi Johnny glad your doing anoher Motown special. Love what your playing. Can I make a request to play something with Florence Ballard on lead as a Supreme its very rarely done. Thanks if not Penny Pincher Diana & Flo vocals 1963 will do.

Thank you, thank you, thank you, Johnny

This week's link did the same thing for me..... I typed WOMR into a search engine to get here.
    Now I just tried that above link on the first post.....got me right to WOMR....go figure!

I never really noticed until tonight how much that Mandante was in the background of so many Motown recordings.
    Sing along with Johnny!

Left Banke

Thank you Johnny, the group is the left bank. I was in S. Orleans, back in Brooklyn, thanks for Buttered Popcorn always great to hear. Keep em coming.

Neither Brenda nor Jean's versions have been officially released.

Now I just tried that above link on the first post.....got me right to WOMR....go figure!
    I keep getting facebook, also. So I had to type the url all by myself...that's not fair I don't feel well.

I like all of Florence's solos that were released [[although her ABC album - was not very good, at all). I love Save me A Star.

What's this knocking song - I love it - don't recall ever hearing that before.

A few weeks??? More like several months.....

It's been reported that Blinky's currently in the hospital.
    How about "Rescue Me" in hope that she, a deeply spiritual woman , will be delivered/rescued from her illness.

Terry Johnson was a Flamingo, not a Platter.

Terry Johnson was a Flamingo, not a Platter.
    Thanks Carole!!! And YES!

Tigger

Name:  aaapfc-tigger-052414.jpg
Views: 226
Size:  85.5 KB

Tigger

Name:  aaapfc-tigger-052414.jpg
Views: 226
Size:  85.5 KB
    Pretty kitty!

"I'll Be Satisfied" sounds a bit like a speeded up version of "Since I Lost My Baby".

Caught the tail end of a song played a few minutes ago--thought it might be The Four Tops, possibly titled BABY I WONDER. But I can't seem to locate it. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Methuselah2 View Post
    Caught the tail end of a song played a few minutes ago--thought it might be The Four Tops, possibly titled BABY I WONDER. But I can't seem to locate it. Thanks.
    "Is There Anything That I Can Do"...the Tops

"Is There Anything That I Can Do"...the Tops
    Glad you like the Terrell led supremes I do too. and Take a closer look at me should have been a single regardless of who is on the background that was a missed hit. thanks for playing it. You are a fabulous motowner.

Thanks, John. Great tune I'd never heard before. Sounded like it could have been a hit to me.

Quote Originally Posted by franjoy56 View Post
    Glad you like the Terrell led supremes I do too. and Take a closer look at me should have been a single regardless of who is on the background that was a missed hit. thanks for playing it. You are a fabulous motowner.
    Awwww...shucks Ma'am...thanks!!

Thanks, John. Great tune I'd never heard before. Sounded like it could have been a hit to me.

My pleasure, Bruce....from the 2nd album

Johnny can u educate me on the up the ladder track you played, is that a remixed version, but what about the added vocals of Terrell, Wilson and birdsong that were never heard on any version or on any cd compilation, why wasn't the extended oradded vocals released on the right on album. thank you for everything you played I love it

Great show!

Quote Originally Posted by franjoy56 View Post
    Johnny can u educate me on the up the ladder track you played, is that a remixed version, but what about the added vocals of Terrell, Wilson and birdsong that were never heard on any version or on any cd compilation, why wasn't the extended oradded vocals released on the right on album. thank you for everything you played I love it
    Glad you enjoyed the show, Franjoy! What I can say about the song is this. It's really impossible to understand why Rev. Frank Wilson edited the song the way he did....why he made the choices he made for how the song would play out. Or maybe his wasn't the final decision. It might have been Berry's idea. But it's sort of like how "Still Waters [[Love)" and
    "Still Waters [[Peace)" were placed on the "Still Waters Run Deep" album by the Four Tops.
    The placement for those was corrected on the Four Tops "Fourever" box set...which not only put the songs together as one as a suite, but put "Still Waters [[Peace)" first...which was how it was meant to be. So, however it was decided to remove a chunk of the Supremes song...because it seemed odd and not in keeping with the rest of the song....or because of supposed time constraints...or whatever reason....I guess we'll never know.
    Last edited by midnight johnny; 09-02-2015 at 01:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by johnjeb View Post
    Great show!
    Thanks, John...I appreciated your tracks to be able to play. Thank YOU!

Very nice...thanks....and not a WORM on it [[*smile)!

Glad you enjoyed the show, Franjoy! What I can say about the song is this. It's really impossible to understand why Rev. Frank Wilson edited the song the way he did....why he made the choices he made for how the song would play out. Or maybe his wasn't the final decision. It might have been Berry's idea. But it's sort of like how "Still Waters [[Love)" and
    "Still Waters [[Peace)" were placed on the "Still Waters Run Deep" album by the Four Tops.
    The placement for those was corrected on the Four Tops "Fourever" box set...which not only put the songs together as one as a suite, but put "Still Waters [[Peace)" first...which was how it was meant to be. So, however it was decided to removed a chunk of the Supremes song...because it seemed odd and not in keeping with the rest of the song....or because of supposed time constraints...or whatever reason....I guess we'll never know.
    Well thank you for enlightening me on this matter its good to know there is an extended version that may see the light of a release on a cd someday. Great show by the way. Love the new Jimmy Ruffin stuff you played as well.

Thanks, John...I appreciated your tracks to be able to play. Thank YOU!
    Well, I'm glad you have them because I no longer do...I barely knew some of those songs anyway...I played some only once...now they are all gone...although I still have a few random collectibles of my Motown 45s...and I still have all The Supremes and Diana 45s...for now...

Did you get my email? I tried to send you a private message through the Soulful Detroit message board but your mailbox is full.

Quote Originally Posted by johnjeb View Post
    Well, I'm glad you have them because I no longer do...I barely knew some of those songs anyway...I played some only once...now they are all gone...although I still have a few random collectibles of my Motown 45s...and I still have all The Supremes and Diana 45s...for now...

Did you get my email? I tried to send you a private message through the Soulful Detroit message board but your mailbox is full.
    Well...first I emptied the mailbox...yes...I did get that Varla version! Thanks! She is quite the talent!

As Universal doesn't seem interested in cd re-issues , have you pursued the possibility of a taped show with Keith Hughes? Perhaps he might preview a few tracks from "Love and Affection: More Motown Girls" as well as incorporating tracks from the other superb past Ace/Kent Motown releases.

MJ, sorry I haven't listened in awhile. My work hours have changed, working midnight to 8am. Hopefully I am able to listen next week. Missing you guys!

Quote Originally Posted by Ryon6 View Post
    MJ, sorry I haven't listened in awhile. My work hours have changed, working midnight to 8am. Hopefully I am able to listen next week. Missing you guys!
    Tyrone....well you HAVE been missed. Get back when you can...de sooner de better!