[REMOVE ADS]

Flashback: Motortown Revues

M2, this is a Five Star thread, while featuring far more than five Stars.

What a line-up of talent on those stages....

Here's hoping that everybody here who attended at least one of the shows will share, with the rest of us, their Motown Memories of it

What I love about threads like this, especially when seeing the pictures or videos, is how classy these Motown acts presented themselves on stage. Tight choreography, and matching dresses/suits, to kill.

When you think about any of the Motown artists; the girls groups: always had gorgeous gowns [[many times full-length), and beautifully styled wigs. And it didn't matter if it was in an air-conditioned supper club, or in the heat of an outdoor arena. Same with the guys; jackets and ties in a rainbow array of matching colors.

You go to a concert today, you're likely to see more skin than sequins; more sex than sharkskin.

Mary, my thoughts entirely.

When it comes to show business now, it's all about how much they can show. Skin, or the loudest possible voice.

Whether on stage or in the audience, nobody aspires to anything better any more. They simply want only to perspire.....

In the summer of 1965, I got to see The Supremes perform at the Steel Pier in Atlantic City, New Jersey. It was one of those moments that I'll never forget. As I recall, it was a sweltering hot day and, as was the schedule at the time for the performers there, I believe that they did 5 shows a day--but the shows were short: 3 numbers each, preceded by a group of 3 young comedians who were very funny and lively. As hot as it was, the excitement of being there and about to see The Supremes perform literally had me floating on a cloud. I went to the first show of the day--early afternoon--and got a seat on the front row. As soon as the comedians had finished, Florence, Mary, and Diana were on stage, dressed in the blue dresses you see in this photo:

Attachment 9922

And even in the extreme heat, they had added on long blue scarves made of the same material as their dresses' skirts that covered the front of their necks and then draped down in back of them, long and flowing. They looked gorgeous. It might have been one of their older outfits they now used just for such shows but they all looked so beautiful. The effect of seeing them was just overwhelming for me. Florence and Mary stood in place during each number while Diana skittered around the entire stage. My seat was directly in front of where Florence was standing and, in the middle of their last number, one of her earrings fell to the floor. I looked at the earring, I looked up at Florence, Florence looked at me and smiled broadly and then winked at me. I couldn't believe it. The number concluded and the show was over. But every time I think back to that afternoon, it still gives me a thrill. Not a a Motortown Revue, I know, but as satisfying as all get-out. And the professionalism of The Supremes was front and center.
    Last edited by Methuselah2; 09-01-2015 at 04:37 AM.

I was lucky enough to meet most of the Motortown Revue in the parking lot & Mary Wells hotel room at Sir Johns Knightbeat in Miami in 1962 but I was too young to go to the show at the Harlem Square Club.I fell deeper in love with Motown then I already was, LOL Every one was super nice, I remember the Vandellas esp Martha were happy & surprised that I knew who they were, the Supremes were shocked that I knew & had the 45 of Let Me Go the Right Way.I remember Gladys & Georgeana of the Marvelettes the most that day because they came down to Marys room. Smokey was the only one I really wanted to meet that I didn't that day, but I told Caludette he was my fave writer.What a different world back then.
    At that time none of them knew the kind of impact they would have or had .

Quote Originally Posted by Methuselah2 View Post
    In the summer of 1965, I got to see The Supremes perform at the Steel Pier in Atlantic City, New Jersey. It was one of those moments that I'll never forget. As I recall, it was a sweltering hot day and, as was the schedule at the time for the performers there, I believe that they did 5 shows a day--but the shows were short: 3 numbers each, preceded by a group of 3 young comedians who were very funny and lively. As hot as it was, the excitement of being there and about to see The Supremes perform literally had me floating on a cloud. I went to the first show of the day--early afternoon--and got a seat on the front row. As soon as the comedians had finished, Florence, Mary, and Diana were on stage, dressed in the blue dresses you see in this photo:

Attachment 9922

And even in the extreme heat, they had added on long blue scarves made of the same material as their dresses' skirts that covered the front of their necks and then draped down in back of them, long and flowing. They looked gorgeous. It might have been one of their older outfits they now used just for such shows but they all looked so beautiful. The effect of seeing them was just overwhelming for me. Florence and Mary stood in place during each number while Diana skittered around the entire stage. My seat was directly in front of where Florence was standing and, in the middle of their last number, one of her earrings fell to the floor. I looked at the earring, I looked up at Florence, Florence looked at me and smiled broadly and then winked at me. I couldn't believe it. The number concluded and the show was over. But every time I think back to that afternoon, it still gives me a thrill. Not a a Motortown Revue, I know, but as satisfying as all get-out. And the professionalism of The Supremes was front and center.
    That is a great story and thank you. Did you also check out the diving horse while there? LOL!

Motony - Loved reading your story. What a great and unforgettable experience you had. Thanks very much for posting.

And thank you, too, Marv. I was so excited from The Supremes' show that day that I didn't give any thought about seeing the diving horse. But at some point that evening, I think I dove into a crab salad!