[REMOVE ADS]

Aretha Franklin "The Atlantic Albums Collection" 19CD box [[Atlantic/Rhino/Warner)?

Looks interesting. I wonder if there is any unreleased material on there.

Excluding compilations, I count 19 Atlantic albums by Aretha from 1967-1979. If so, this set could include cd releases of WITH EVERYTHING I FEEL IN ME, YOU, SWEET PASSION, ALMIGHTY FIRE, and LA DIVA.

Hopefully, there will be some unreleased material as well, although I thought Aretha had made a deal with another company some years back to release the albums that she owned.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    Excluding compilations, I count 19 Atlantic albums by Aretha from 1967-1979. If so, this set could include cd releases of WITH EVERYTHING I FEEL IN ME, YOU, SWEET PASSION, ALMIGHTY FIRE, and LA DIVA.

Hopefully, there will be some unreleased material as well, although I thought Aretha had made a deal with another company some years back to release the albums that she owned.
    I recall reading about that but nothing seems to have happened. Any unreleased material would be a bonus and I must admit to being tempted by owing those later albums on cd despite them generally not being amongst her best.

This is indeed great news; bonus cuts would be great. When David Nathan wrote liner notes for some of the Atlantic reissues he spoke of hearing, and gave titles, of lots of unissued songs. As for the "final four", at the time of "A Woman Falling Out of Love" Ms. Franklin told Roger Freidman that she had obtained rights to those titles and would be releasing them on the Aretha's Records" label, but it never happened. BTW, "Sweet Passion" and "With Everything..." are actually excellent albums, despite general critical disregard.

I think each of her later albums on Atlantic have some fine moments, although I certainly don't play them as much as I do the earlier lps from 1967-1972. But I think they have gotten a bad rap because they didn't sell as well. Singles like WHEN I THINK ABOUT YOU, MORE THAN JUST A JOY, and HALF A LOVE could have been big hits.

Below is a link to an old article that lists some of the unreleased tracks that could be released with the later Atlantic albums.

http://theseconddisc.com/2012/06/06/...st-time-on-cd/

As of right now the box set is scheduled to be released October 30th.

More info.

http://www.levykauppax.fi/artist/fra...ms_collection/

Unfortunately, it doesn't look like anything new is included, nor will it include the albums that have not yet made it to cd.
    Last edited by reese; 08-30-2015 at 02:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    Thanks; interesting information and a site I am not familiar with.

She indeed was given the masters to her last 4 albums upon her departure from Atlantic, which unfortunately sold progressively worse with each release. She has been shopping for a distributor for years, to no avail. She even approached BMG since her last major deal went through them via her Arista years. I'm not sure if she has unrealistic expectations for an advance, especially in this climate.....but, I know for a fact, the last time she tried in 2010-11....those conversations fell apart. [[You may have read that it supposedly took 5 years for her to find a distributor for her indie Aretha Records release, the disjointed "A Woman Falling Out of Love".
    And unfortunately, despite the impressive debut of her final fulfillment release of her Arista/BMG contract, "sings Diva Classics" came and went in a few short weeks chart/sales wise. So it probably makes sense that a deal was struck with Atlantic/Warner, where she enjoyed her most successful years, to reunite all of her titles in one box. I think the Columbia years box set from a few years ago did respectable numbers. Of the final four unreleased albums to CD, I am most excited about her reunion with Curtis Mayfield on "Almighty Fire". There is a piano-driven ballad she co-wrote with Glen Turman, "I'm Your Speed" that is very nice in its simplicity...a touch of gospel/a touch of jazz.

Damn them for not including those other 5 albums....well, looks like we may never get them on cd :-[[

Quote Originally Posted by aarondillon2011@gmail.com View Post
    Damn them for not including those other 5 albums....well, looks like we may never get them on cd :-[[
    Why fret so soon? Is that definitive since another post counted enough CDs that leads to the believe that those may indeed be included. There is no info on Amazon yet. Besides the one article headlining this thread, is there another resource?

Quote Originally Posted by Bokiluis View Post
    Why fret so soon? Is that definitive since another post counted enough CDs that leads to the believe that those may indeed be included. There is no info on Amazon yet. Besides the one article headlining this thread, is there another resource?
    http://www.levykauppax.fi/artist/fra...ms_collection/

Jack's article above calls the collection "The COMPLETE Atlantic Album Collection", whereas Reese's article merely calls it "The Atlantic Album Collection". If Reese's album-title list is true, what a shame it would be to release such an exquisite and extensive CD box set of Aretha's Atlantic LP catalog and not make it complete. A couple of years ago, sometime after it was announced that her final four Atlantic albums would finally see a CD release, I read where the deal fell through because Lady Ree was demanding too high a price for the masters. Judging from Reese's list of albums included in the box set, it looks like nothing has changed, as those titles are conspicuously missing. I'll buy the above box set IF and ONLY IF those final 4 albums are included. If not, forget it. The albums included are duplicates of what I already have in my CD collection. Let's hope that Jack's "COMPLETE" article is the correct one.
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 08-30-2015 at 04:23 PM.

This line-up I would pass on. Have 'em all, even the live Philly - looks like a bargain-basement job.

I think the best we could hope for is better sound quality, given that most of the classic albums have been remastered in recent years.

What I am wondering about is if some of the albums were cross-licensed, because most of her classic albums are owned by Warner, and Aretha owns the rest.

This box is currently on sale at Amazon UK for 34 GBP...fantastic deal!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B01...mlL&ref=plSrch

Bought it from Amazon italy for around 36 Euros = [[28 GBP) last november. It had 2 copies of Sparkle in the box!

I have to buy this. I have her old box set from Atlantic.