[REMOVE ADS]

Page 9 of 73 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 19 59 ... LastLast

Thread: Remember when?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    supremester Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    Ice cold Orange Crush in the old glass bottles.
    My fave orange soda now only available in Japan. It was made with something called oranges.

Quote Originally Posted by supremester View Post
    My fave orange soda now only available in Japan. It was made with something called oranges.
    Interesting. What's it taste like?

Quote Originally Posted by supremester View Post
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 510
Size:  21.1 KB
    I remember Birekey's. It was national, just like Nehi and Canada Dry. Like Nehi and the others, they also had a large variety of soft drink flavours.

supremester Guest
    It was great - it actually tasted like fresh orange but still had that yummy, old time fake orange taste as well. It wasn't carbonated which made it tastier. It was THE orange drink in the northwest until orange crush expanded here and ran TV ads incessantly for years and finally it disappeared. It is still sold in Japan.

I also loved Green River - we had a VERY popular restaurant that had it on tap. They still make it!

There was a drink called[sunny boy]from way back, how about[fizzies]and do they still make[rc cola]?

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    There was a drink called[sunny boy]from way back, how about[fizzies]and do they still make[rc cola]?
    They still make RC Cola , but it's in the can. If any of you want to taste the 2nd best Ginger Ale in the World [[Vernor's is the first~!) check out Bruce Cost's REAL Ginger Ale. It is sold in select cities. Jerry they sell it in Columbus at World Market I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    They still make RC Cola , but it's in the can.
    They sell it in the 2 liter bottles here as well as cans. Always have.

Vernors doesn't sell very well around here.

I never cared for Nehi or Crush. Too sweet.

I liked the original Welch's grape and orange soda they sold back in the late 70s. It wasn't syrupy or too sweet. Sprite had a unique flavor and was delightfully fizzy in the 70s. now it's just a knock off of the old 7-Up formula. Sierra Mist used to be called Teem.
    Last edited by soulster; 10-13-2015 at 04:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    They sell it in the 2 liter bottles here as well as cans. Always have.

Vernors doesn't sell very well around here.

I never cared for Nehi or Crush. Too sweet.

I liked the original Welch's grape and orange soda they sold back in the late 70s. It wasn't syrupy or too sweet. Sprite had a unique flavor and was delightfully fizzy in the 70s. now it's just a knock off of the old 7-Up formula. Sierra Mist used to be called Teem.

I can't Vernors in New York. I only can when I am home in Ohio and Michigan.

Speaking of regional drinks, when we traveled to Virginia we always picked up Nehi in various flavors. By the way, it's "pop" in Ohio and "soda" in Virginia. What is it where you all are?

Soda in these parts.

I remember Nehi.

Views: 523
    Nehi was national in USA. We had it all over The Midwest, and I also saw it in California, Oregon and Washington. Peach was a rare treat. Maybe that was just seasonal? [[it was rare in Chicago. Their grape soda was excellent, So was Cherry Soda. They also had a great Creme Soda, and so did Nesbitts. Dad's Root Beer was so very good [[on tap). But, it was so good that it was even excellent in bottles. Hires Root Beer was good, too.

We had a great chocolate drink in The Netherlands, called Chocomel. Often, they gave away a fee Disney Comic book with a 6-pack, and sometimes if you mailed in 6 bottle caps.

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
Views: 523
    Nehi was national in USA. We had it all over The Midwest, and I also saw it in California, Oregon and Washington. Peach was a rare treat. Maybe that was just seasonal? [[it was rare in Chicago. Their grape soda was excellent, So was Cherry Soda. They also had a great Creme Soda, and so did Nesbitts. Dad's Root Beer was so very good [[on tap). But, it was so good that it was even excellent in bottles. Hires Root Beer was good, too.

We had a great chocolate drink in The Netherlands, called Chocomel. Often, they gave away a fee Disney Comic book with a 6-pack, and sometimes if you mailed in 6 bottle caps.
    Chocomel is somewhere beyond great. It remains one of my favorite memories of The Netherlands.

Quote Originally Posted by MotownSteve View Post
    Chocomel is somewhere beyond great. It remains one of my favorite memories of The Netherlands.
    I wonder if that is anything like the milk based soda we had here. I can't remember name at the moment but it came in chocolate and strawberry.

Dad's Root Beer was another one I loved. Also loved Hire's Root Beer.

Quote Originally Posted by MotownSteve View Post
Views: 577
    When were you in The Netherlands? Were you a tourist, or did you work there? Where did you spend time there?

Remember when[safeway]sold toys?

Yeah, wayyyy back! I first went into a Safeway while living in Colorado. They do not have them in NY or Ohio

Remember when grocery stores sold records and tapes?

Remember when[made in japan]meant-cheap-cheap-cheap?

I remember eating at the lunch counter at Woolworths downtown. But that also brings up bad memories of those brothers who had to protest for the same privilege at a counter in South Carolina.

I remember eating at the lunch counter at Woolworths downtown. But that also brings up bad memories of those brothers who had to protest for the same privilege at a counter in South Carolina.
    I never knew of those things in the 60s. We always ate at the Woolworth's cafes and RX soda counters with no issues. Holiday Inn, too.

Views: 526
    Of Course, in Canada, Canada Dry dominated the bottled soft drink market during the 1940s and 1950s. Originally, there was a big beaver across the shield.

Here are some of the different flavours they had:

• Bitter Lemon Lemon Soda
    • Tahitian Treat Tutti [[cherry and fruit punch),
    • Golden Cockerel Ginger Beer
    • Cranberry Ginger Ale
    • Lemon Ginger Ale
    • Purple Passion
    • Lemon-Lime Soda
    • Vanilla Cream Soda
    • Cocoa Cream Soda
    • Black Cherry Soda
    • Wild Cherry Soda
    • Jamaica Cola
    • Rooti Root Beer
    • Barrelhead Root Beer
    • Wink
    • Pink Wink
    • Hi-Grape
    • Concord Grape Soda
    • Sunripe Orange Soda
    • Mandrin Orange Soda
    • Grapefruit Soda

Views: 526
    Of Course, in Canada, Canada Dry dominated the bottled soft drink market during the 1940s and 1950s. Originally, there was a big beaver across the shield.

Here are some of the different flavours they had:

• Bitter Lemon Lemon Soda
    • Tahitian Treat Tutti [[cherry and fruit punch),
    • Golden Cockerel Ginger Beer
    • Cranberry Ginger Ale
    • Lemon Ginger Ale
    • Purple Passion
    • Lemon-Lime Soda
    • Vanilla Cream Soda
    • Cocoa Cream Soda
    • Black Cherry Soda
    • Wild Cherry Soda
    • Jamaica Cola
    • Rooti Root Beer
    • Barrelhead Root Beer
    • Wink
    • Pink Wink
    • Hi-Grape
    • Concord Grape Soda
    • Sunripe Orange Soda
    • Mandrin Orange Soda
    • Grapefruit Soda

The Cranberry - Ginger Ale sounds GOOD!
    I remember Wink, it was a citrus flavored drink along the lines of Squirt.
    I still drink Tahitian Treat Fruit punch [[even though I'm not suppose to. LOL) it is great tasting stuff!

My brother was hooked on Tahitian Treat from his teen years. If he has a cookout or hosts a fight, you can bet there will be a two-liter of it there to wash down the food.

My brother was hooked on Tahitian Treat from his teen years. If he has a cookout or hosts a fight, you can bet there will be a two-liter of it there to wash down the food.
    Oh, I do remember that one! Tatitan Treat was my favorite,

I loved the 4th of July. We would always buy cases of Canada Dry and Shasta sodas and put them on ice in huge ice chests. Barbeque chicken and hot dogs, and stay up all night watching Twilight Zone marathons. When we were in Kansas, we'd shoot firecrackers in the back yard and at cars driving down the street. I would love to revisit those days somehow.

I used to love Shasta Grape soda. That stuff burned in the way down [[in a good way). We used to stay up late in Friday nights to watch "Chiller Theater", a local late night creature feature. Those old vampire and werewolf flicks are corny now but they scared the mess out of elementary school kids. LOL. I don't know how old I was when I stopped falling asleep before the end of the movie.

Does anybody recall driving on the interstate with your family when the only food stops on the way were Howard Johnson restaurants? Those hamburgers were wrapped in foil and were probably cooked hours before but left out all day. They were nasty but the only thing to eat.

I used to love Shasta Grape soda. That stuff burned in the way down [[in a good way). We used to stay up late in Friday nights to watch "Chiller Theater", a local late night creature feature. Those old vampire and werewolf flicks are corny now but they scared the mess out of elementary school kids. LOL. I don't know how old I was when I stopped falling asleep before the end of the movie.

Does anybody recall driving on the interstate with your family when the only food stops on the way were Howard Johnson restaurants? Those hamburgers were wrapped in foil and were probably cooked hours before but left out all day. They were nasty but the only thing to eat.
    Shasta? You guys are killing me! LOL!

Yeah I remember the Hojos,but they weren't the only ones. If you travel South, there were "Stuckeys". They had the big yellow billboards.

Shasta? You guys are killing me! LOL!
    Shasta was good stuff! Cheap, too! I was sad to see them disappear in the 80s.

Hardee's also wrapped their burgers in foil. The all time worst burgers in my opinion were Roy Rogers up and down the New York State Thru-way and along the Penn Turnpike.....yuk!

Hardee's also wrapped their burgers in foil. The all time worst burgers in my opinion were Roy Rogers up and down the New York State Thru-way and along the Penn Turnpike.....yuk!
    I don't remember burger places along the freeways back in the 70s. I think that started to happen in the 80s and 90s, at least out here. Nowadays, you can't go a mile without seeing a McDonald's, Burger King, Del Taco, or In-N-Out.

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    I don't remember burger places along the freeways back in the 70s. I think that started to happen in the 80s and 90s, at least out here. Nowadays, you can't go a mile without seeing a McDonald's, Burger King, Del Taco, or In-N-Out.
Views: 475
    Harvey Houses were on The Toll Roads even in the 1950s [[Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Michigan, Wisconsin, Iowa, Missouri, Ohio and Pennysylvania that I can remember, and, possibly Nebraska)! They usually had a Standard Station with them [[Standard of Indiana, or Sohio). Maybe they had Sinclair stations with them in the great plains and Mountain States?

Of course, Harvey Houses were general family eating restaurants [[glorified coffee shops with expanded menus-rather than "hamburger fast-food joints). I guess they must have been similar to Howard Johnson's. I don't think we ever stopped at a Howard Johnson's. Most often, we stopped at "Ma and Pa greasy spoons", - and had mostly good luck doing so. We did a LOT of car driven trips across USA and Canada for not having a "Caravan" [[live-in trailer or RV).

We traveled across Canada1 [[Trans Canada Highway), US Route 66, US Lincoln Highway, US I 90-94, US 60, US I 70, and US I 40. Before most of those Interstates were completed, and while they were still, for the most part, old 2 to 4 lane highways, rather than limited access expressways, tollways and freeways.

Where were you living in the 1970s?
    Last edited by robb_k; 10-15-2015 at 12:10 AM.

Where were you living in the 1970s?
    The southwest, but we travelled through California, Kansas, Oklahoma, and Texas.

The best "have it your way" hamburgers were "Harveys" in Canada.

The best "have it your way" hamburgers were "Harveys" in Canada.
Views: 506
    Yes. They were pretty good. They started in Toronto in 1959, and went national across Canada in 1963. That's when we got our first one in Winnipeg.

Views: 506
    Yes. They were pretty good. They started in Toronto in 1959, and went national across Canada in 1963. That's when we got our first one in Winnipeg.
    I use to go to the ones in London,
    On, Brampton and Montreal! Loved the "Super Burger".

I use to go to the ones in London,
    On, Brampton and Montreal! Loved the "Super Burger".
Views: 497
    Didn't they have one in Windsor?

If I were anywhere near Toronto. I'd always eat in an "ethnic" restaurant, [[Indian, Jamaican, Portuguese, Chinese, Italian, Lebanese, etc.). They have a lot of great ones there. Speaking of "ethnic", -take a look at The Four Tops' "Sexy Ways" thread again. I put up another funny story.

Not me. I remember back in the 60s where they served them on a plate.

Did anyone have[toddlehouse]hamburger joints in your town? Twenty five cents and good too.

Did anyone have[toddlehouse]hamburger joints in your town? Twenty five cents and good too.
    No we didn't have Toddlehouse hamburgers. We did have Kewpee's [[with the big baby in nothing but a diaper LOL!), Super King [[aka Uncle Sam's. They made the special Super King burger that was the size of a large pizza and could serve 5 people!). Also the neighborhood favorite called "Li'l Hut" on Detroit Ave.

I remember them. I vaguely remember easting there with my parents. That is about all I can remember. Not even where they were.

Remember the[deluxe playmobile]?

No, but I remember when Big Wheels first came out. I never understood the appeal, so I never asked for one. One of the best Christmas present I remember was an air hockey table that my brother and I received one year. You rarely see air hockey anywhere but game arcades these days.

Back to burgers. I remember a Gino's in either Jersey City or Bayonne NJ and I thought the burgers were pretty good.

Wendy's was founded in my hometown and they were delicious when they first came out. We used to have Burger Boy here with carhops. Those were good as well. They were big, too. I was too young to eat one by myself.

Remember how K-Tel have these package albums of a bunch of popular singles in the 70s:

Remember this one?

Attachment 10314

Last edited by marv2; 10-14-2015 at 08:12 PM.

Don't forget Mister Microphone...
    Last edited by Jerry Oz; 10-14-2015 at 09:15 PM.

Don't forget Mister Microphone...
    Never tried the product, but I hated the commercial for it. LOL!

Hey, you remember...

Name:  sambos.jpg
Views: 861
Size:  48.4 KB

Gosh, I loved Howard Johnson's. Famous French chef Jacques Pepin worked there when he moved to America and became the research director for their food lines and menus.

And this Judy Garland movie is about the waitresses at Harvey House.

Attachment 10331
    Attachment 10332