[REMOVE ADS]

Page 7 of 73 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 17 57 ... LastLast

Thread: Remember when?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    hey marv,that map is a vast improvement over those old things from back in the day,i mean those maps were drawn by numbers and one of em had florida on the west coast,heck i was a senior in high school before i learned that california was not a suburb of miami.
    JAI, I do remember the earlier days when they used a marker to draw out the weather conditions. I hadn't seen the above video in a while and had forgotten how advance Joe Ashton the weatherman was by 1978 LOL!

One of my Mom's fond memories is when a local station broadcast a "we are experiencing technical problems, please stand by message". My big brother, who must have been about five years old at the time asked her what was going on. She read the message and he dutifully walked over and stood by the television.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    One of my Mom's fond memories is when a local station broadcast a "we are experiencing technical problems, please stand by message". My big brother, who must have been about five years old at the time asked her what was going on. She read the message and he dutifully walked over and stood by the television.
    Now that is a funny story. I remember a show called "Land of the Giants". That's where I got the idea that there were really tiny people inside our television set that put on all of the shows! LOL! When our TV we had for most of the 60s finally went kaput! I remember looking inside at all of the tubes to see if I could see any of the little people, hehehehehehehehehe.......

Hah! I remember 'Land of the Giants'. I liked it as well as 'The Time Tunnel'. We used to try to talk my folks into staying up to watch 'The Invaders' and 'The Immortal' but we usually had to be in bed at 9:00 PM. BTW: Remember when you had to go to bed at 9:00 PM?

Remember when you had to go to bed at 9:00 PM?
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 592
Size:  21.1 KB
    Yes! From 1953-1954. But, I usually stayed up until 11:00 - Midnight, or so, reading comic books with a flashlight. There was no TV in kids' rooms back then, and very few regular programmes on Canadian TV then, and nothing on after 10 PM, in any case [[at least in Winnipeg). I can't speak for B.C.,Ontario or Quebec, but I know that in Chacago we shut down one hour earlier than on the 2 US coasts. So, maybe Midwestern Winnipeg's TV was also shut down earlier than B.C. and The Eastern Provinces?

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
Views: 592
    Yes! From 1953-1954. But, I usually stayed up until 11:00 - Midnight, or so, reading comic books with a flashlight. There was no TV in kids' rooms back then, and very few regular programmes on Canadian TV then, and nothing on after 10 PM, in any case [[at least in Winnipeg). I can't speak for B.C.,Ontario or Quebec, but I know that in Chacago we shut down one hour earlier than on the 2 US coasts. So, maybe Midwestern Winnipeg's TV was also shut down earlier than B.C. and The Eastern Provinces?
    Robb! We use to get Canadian television living so close to the border. What was the name of that Barn dance like show that came on every weekend?

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Robb! We use to get Canadian television living so close to the border. What was the name of that Barn dance like show that came on every weekend?
Views: 1474
    Was it "Country Hoedown" on CBC? That show ran from the mid '50s through the mid '60s. It was hosted by Gordie Tapp. He did corny comedy sketches on that show like he did in the '70s on US "Hee Haw".

Views: 1474
    Was it "Country Hoedown" on CBC? That show ran from the mid '50s through the mid '60s. It was hosted by Gordie Tapp. He did corny comedy sketches on that show like he did in the '70s on US "Hee Haw".
    That's it! That's the one LOL! I knew you would know if anyone would. Thanks Robb.

I also grew up watching "Mr. Dressup" and "The Friendly Giant" on Canadian TV .

The Tommy Hunter Show , eh? LOL!

Hah! I remember 'Land of the Giants'. I liked it as well as 'The Time Tunnel'. We used to try to talk my folks into staying up to watch 'The Invaders' and 'The Immortal' but we usually had to be in bed at 9:00 PM. BTW: Remember when you had to go to bed at 9:00 PM?
    The Invaders caused me to get many spankings. I never remember getting to see a whole episode, so a few Christmases ago I bought the DVD's. Oh yeah, 9 pm was not only the cut off time for us, it was also when "Peyton Place" came on. That was my mom's favorite program that she and her ladies spent the next day on the phone discussing. LOL!

Yep,9:00 on weeknights and we could stay up on friday and saturday,we used to have a latenight horror show called[shock]which ran on cbs on saturday nights at 1am..count[gore devall]came much later.

Yep,9:00 on weeknights and we could stay up on friday and saturday,we used to have a latenight horror show called[shock]which ran on cbs on saturday nights at 1am..count[gore devall]came much later.
    Our main horror show in Detroit came on Saturday afternoons on WJBK channel 2 called "Sir Graves Ghastly". Showed all the classic horror flicks and his own in studio skits etc. It ran from the late 60s to about the early 80s.

Haaaaaaaaaaaaa,yep i remember sir graves,that show was a hoot.

Haaaaaaaaaaaaa,yep i remember sir graves,that show was a hoot.
    JAI, you do! Wow! I didn't know you guys saw it anywhere else in the country. When he use to play Tillie I use to cry laughing. LOL

Remember when you would almost never see a movie star on tv[it was considered career suicide]now it's the opposite.

Remember when you would almost never see a movie star on tv[it was considered career suicide]now it's the opposite.
    Remember when a new major film came out, it was ORIGINAL!!! There movies now made from old tv shows and comic book characters.

Remember when a new major film came out, it was ORIGINAL!!! There movies now made from old tv shows and comic book characters.
    Or, they just recycle old movies. It's probably not that there isn't creativity in Hollyweird, the studios just don't want to take risks. So, what do we get? Endless remakes and recycled ideas and super heroes from toys and comic books.

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    Or, they just recycle old movies. It's probably not that there isn't creativity in Hollyweird, the studios just don't want to take risks. So, what do we get? Endless remakes and recycled ideas and super heroes from toys and comic books.
    That's why most of the movies I watch on NetFlix are from Korea or China. People have no idea how good many Asian films are.

Yeah. Stage actors and movie stars thought it was beneath them to be on TV. But, even today, once TV actors get into movies, they seem to shun television, unless it's an awards show, of course!

By the time of the 70s, almost all you saw on TV variety shows, aside from Peter Lawford and washed-up comedians.

Because there are few fresh ideas,most of this[new]stuff is as stale as the food on greasy grady's menu.

Because there are few fresh ideas,most of this[new]stuff is as stale as the food on greasy grady's menu.
    Grady's! Stop it! LOL!!!!

Remember when one of the kids would have ringworms and have to wear a stocking cap? And get teased unless it was the school bully in which case we would just look the other way.

Remember when one of the kids would have ringworms and have to wear a stocking cap?
    Uh...no. never even heard of ringworm until adulthood.

Uh...no. never even heard of ringworm until adulthood.
    I didn't either. I remember kids in elementary school who had impetigo or tetters, but not ringworm.

Legend was that you would get it from wearing someone elses hat.

or using their comb or brush. I remember seeing it on kids heads......gross!

Kids didn't wear hats or caps in my elementary school, and if they wore beanies, they sure didn't wear each other's. We kids just didn't get those kinds of things. We seriously never even heard of them.

Country music was a small niche in the late '70s and almost a dormant format as far as Pop was concerned. In my opinion, Kenny and Dolly all but stuck a fork in it with some of the monstrosities they released separately and collaboratively back then. But then, "Urban Cowboy" came out and it wound up being huge. That movie absolutely saved country music by making it hip for city kids to go to country discotheques. I knew a girl who was transformed in the wake of it. She was always a little shy and countryish [[she was a Native American and caught between several worlds), but she got her identity from that story and that soundtrack and she never looked back again.

Country music was a small niche in the late '70s and almost a dormant format as far as Pop was concerned. In my opinion, Kenny and Dolly all but stuck a fork in it with some of the monstrosities they released separately and collaboratively back then. But then, "Urban Cowboy" came out and it wound up being huge. That movie absolutely saved country music by making it hip for city kids to go to country discotheques. I knew a girl who was transformed in the wake of it. She was always a little shy and countryish [[she was a Native American and caught between several worlds), but she got her identity from that story and that soundtrack and she never looked back again.
    I was in college at the time, in Colorado. I bought me a pair of expensive cowboy boots, put on Eddie Rabbitt and I was happy for that moment in time. LOL! One of my most favorite Country songs......

I am not going to turn this into a Country Music thread but Crystal Gayle's "Don't it Make My Brown Eyes Blue" was an excellent record.

I am not going to turn this into a Country Music thread but Crystal Gayle's "Don't it Make My Brown Eyes Blue" was an excellent record.
    Yes it is! It's one of my all-time favorites!

I like all types of music and tend to favor songs that are true to genre over those that seem to be over produced and created with an eye on crossing over. With that said, I remember taking 10-hour trips from Ohio to Tidewater Virginia and listening to old Patsy Cline and Wiilie Nelson songs [[from before they were bold enough to put drums in the arrangements). Those songs still sound great to me.

Does anybody remember road trips before cars had [[in order) 8-tracks, cassettes, CDs, MP3 players, or satellite radio? You were at the mercy of whatever low watt station your radio managed to pick up for 30 miles or so before you had to search for another one.

I like all types of music and tend to favor songs that are true to genre over those that seem to be over produced and created with an eye on crossing over. With that said, I remember taking 10-hour trips from Ohio to Tidewater Virginia and listening to old Patsy Cline and Wiilie Nelson songs [[from before they were bold enough to put drums in the arrangements). Those songs still sound great to me.

Does anybody remember road trips before cars had [[in order) 8-tracks, cassettes, CDs, MP3 players, or satellite radio? You were at the mercy of whatever low watt station your radio managed to pick up for 30 miles out so before you had to search for another one.
    Yes I remember! Whenever we would travel South, all you heard was Country & Western on the radio for hours sometimes.

Yes I remember! Whenever we would travel South, all you heard was Country & Western on the radio for hours sometimes.
Views: 1333
    That's all we heard driving through Western Canada.

Views: 1333
    That's all we heard driving through Western Canada.
    It drove me up the wall, how about you? When we would get nearer to major cities like say Louisville or Nashville, then we could find a little more variety on the radio.

How many of you remember when cigarettes had coupons in the pack that could be redeemed for things like fishing rod and reels? LOL! How about the S&H Green stamps your mom would get with every grocery purchase that were put in a book and once you've collected a specific number she would redeem them for all sorts of mundane merchandise, but mostly kitchen appliances?

Attachment 10233

Attachment 10234

How many of you remember when cigarettes had coupons in the pack that could be redeemed for things like fishing rod and reels? LOL! How about the S&H Green stamps your mom would get with every grocery purchase that were put in a book and once you've collected a specific number she would redeem them for all sorts of mundane merchandise, but mostly kitchen appliances?
    I remember those. I also remember the local version, 'Buckeye Stamps', that were sold at my second place of employment Big Bear Stores in Ohio. I struggled to get to work one day during a near blizzard and was one of only four or five people to show up. I was mad at myself for trying to even get there [[friggin' trooper, that one was back then) until some bearded, vaguely familiar guy came through my line. I rang up a few things for him and offered him his Buckeye stamps and he smiled at me as he gave them to the person in line behind him. 'I won't be needing them', he said laughing before he walked into the wasteland.

When he left, my bagger said 'You know who that was, don't you?'

It was Judd Hirsch from 'Taxi', who was in town filming a movie with Nick Nolte and Ralph Macchio called 'Teachers'. So, for my dedication, I was rewarded with a brush with greatness. LOL.

Attached Images Attached Images  

Attachment 10233

Attachment 10234
    I do indeed remember these, and Gold Bond stamps, too!

I do indeed remember these, and Gold Bond stamps, too!
    You remember when gas stations would give you [[or rather your dad) prizes or gifts with every fill up?

You remember when gas stations would give you [[or rather your dad) prizes or gifts with every fill up?
    Hah!. well, by the time I remembered gas stations, my parents had divorced, but. no they didn't do prizes at the Standard gas station. They didn't wear white clothes, either. But they did oil changes, brakes, shocks, tire rotations, and other engine work. And, they cleaned your windows and checked your oil.

I remember in the late 70s when they first started having the customer pump their own gas. I hated it on one hand because I was the one who had to get out and do it, and I hated having to pull down the license plate to get to the gas tank. And we had a locking gas cap which was a bitch to remove. On the other hand, I liked it because, even as a kid, I never trusted the attendant to fill up the tank because I felt he could manipulate the price in the pump.

I remember when stations looked like this:

Attachment 10245

Jerry that is great story!

Hah! I remember when the gas station attendant would clean your window while the tank was being filled. Dude normally was smoking and had a dirty rag hanging out of his back pocket... They didn't even care much if they went over by a quarter or so.

Hah! I remember when the gas station attendant would clean your window while the tank was being filled. Dude normally was smoking and had a dirty rag hanging out of his back pocket... They didn't even care much if they went over by a quarter or so.
Views: 437
    Yes, I remember all that. And, gasoline was around that much pr\er gallon, or even less, when I was young.

Views: 437
    Yes, I remember all that. And, gasoline was around that much pr\er gallon, or even less, when I was young.
    Cigarettes were $0.35 a pack the earliest I remember.

Jerry I remember that too, but I also remember the attendants being in clean white uniforms. They'd give you stuff a toy dinosaur at the Sinclair stations LOL!

I am sure you guys remember this.....................

Attachment 10247

I am sure you guys remember this.....................

Attachment 10247
    I had this one! The song I had on the record was "Maybe Tomorrow", but I already had it on the album.

I didn't have many issues with racism, but I was called the word by White folks in both Columbus, Ohio and Norfolk, Virginia. I still have issues with those incidents. But I recognize my problems were with the racists who were bold enough to catch me in bad situations [[where I could either respond and be shot, beat down by a crowd, or live to tell about it), not with every person who has the same color skin as them.

If for no other reasons, I'm glad to have lived long enough to grown wise in some matters, especially race. What a silly reason to hate somebody or to hold them back! And the kicker of it is, I've had more race-related problems from Black people than White folk. I've given up hope that I'll see racism defeated before I leave this world.