[REMOVE ADS]




Page 62 of 65 FirstFirst ... 12 52 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 LastLast
Results 3,051 to 3,100 of 3236

Thread: Remember when?

  1. #3051
    From Michael Jordan to Kayne West, the lowly tennis shoe is now a cultural icon. With prices ranging from $200 to thousands of dollars!
    What happened to Pro Keds, with the little red & blue stripes? Plain white Reebok high-tops? Chuck Taylor's? (Are making a comeback, but not the same)

  2. #3052
    Or those two dollar tennis we used to get from safeway,way back in the day.

  3. #3053
    Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    Or those two dollar tennis we used to get from safeway,way back in the day.
    My mom would get them at A&P! LOL!!!!!

  4. #3054
    Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    Or those two dollar tennis we used to get from safeway,way back in the day.
    Yeah, we called them "white boys", "buddies" and "Bobos". You wouldn't want to get caught dead wearing them. Now, I buy them without any thought at all. I've seen kids take most of an afternoon using a toothbrush to literally detail their shoes like they would a Cadillac Eldorado. And don't get me going on the fact that those young fools would gladly go to prison if necessary in order to steal a pair from another kid who worked his butt off to buy them (or whose parents gave them as a gift). Sneaker culture is a blight on society.

  5. #3055
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    Yeah, we called them "white boys", "buddies" and "Bobos". You wouldn't want to get caught dead wearing them. Now, I buy them without any thought at all. I've seen kids take most of an afternoon using a toothbrush to literally detail their shoes like they would a Cadillac Eldorado. And don't get me going on the fact that those young fools would gladly go to prison if necessary in order to steal a pair from another kid who worked his butt off to buy them (or whose parents gave them as a gift). Sneaker culture is a blight on society.

    It really is an incredibly dumb phenomenon! I still don't get it.

  6. #3056


    Remember 'vacation' post cards? Do they even sell them anymore? They sure
    seem like a dinosaur in this age. With Iphones, Facebook, Snapchat and all
    the rest..I imagine they're just a memory from the past. People post their
    travels immediately on social media.

  7. #3057
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    Yeah, we called them "white boys", "buddies" and "Bobos". You wouldn't want to get caught dead wearing them. Now, I buy them without any thought at all. I've seen kids take most of an afternoon using a toothbrush to literally detail their shoes like they would a Cadillac Eldorado. And don't get me going on the fact that those young fools would gladly go to prison if necessary in order to steal a pair from another kid who worked his butt off to buy them (or whose parents gave them as a gift). Sneaker culture is a blight on society.
    Love that! " Detail their shoes! Good one!

  8. #3058
    And with texting, when was the last time someone wrote a letter? Had a conversation? A face-to-face one, I mean?

    There's even a term from those immersed in that "sneaker culture". Their called sneaker heads! Like pot heads. It's apt. These ones are addicted to sneakers! Heard of a case in Cali., where when this guy's brother died, he buried his entire collection, secretly! Because if other sneaker heads knew what was in the collection they would have robbed and killed the surviving brother!!! What?!

  9. #3059
    Kids sometimes text while sitting next to each other. It's unnerving to see two kids sitting down while giggling and trading glances without saying a word. Makes you want to smack them on the side of the head to see if they text "ouch" to each other.

  10. #3060
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    Kids sometimes text while sitting next to each other. It's unnerving to see two kids sitting down while giggling and trading glances without saying a word. Makes you want to smack them on the side of the head to see if they text "ouch" to each other.
    That is so true! LOL!!!!

  11. #3061
    Quote Originally Posted by lakeside View Post


    Remember 'vacation' post cards? Do they even sell them anymore? They sure
    seem like a dinosaur in this age. With Iphones, Facebook, Snapchat and all
    the rest..I imagine they're just a memory from the past. People post their
    travels immediately on social media.
    I've still got a couple I bought in the US in the 90s and never got round to sending.

  12. #3062
    Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    I've still got a couple I bought in the US in the 90s and never got round to sending.
    I still have the vivid memory of post cards and days old foil wrapped hamburgers from the Howard Johnson's we used to stop at on family trips to Virginia. I used hope we could go a few extra miles until a McDonald's or Burger King would pop up but usually we had to pull over to HoJo for gas, a pee break and to eat those over-priced very suspect protein patties.

  13. #3063
    I remember always seeing these gigantic, yellow billboards for "Stuckey's" when we'd travel by car South. We never saw one but they were some sort of restaurant.

  14. #3064
    And "Bob's Big Boy", "Jack-in-the-box", "Burger Chef", "Arthur Treacher's Fish & Chips", "LongJohn Silver's."

  15. #3065
    I love-long john silver's.

  16. #3066
    Quote Originally Posted by nativeNY63 View Post
    And "Bob's Big Boy", "Jack-in-the-box", "Burger Chef", "Arthur Treacher's Fish & Chips", "LongJohn Silver's."
    I hated Roy Rodgers or Rogers along the Pennsylvania Turnpike. They had the absolute worst food of all back in the 80s!

  17. #3067
    Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    I love-long john silver's.
    Long John Silvers is good. I took my mom there earlier this year. I also remember Arthur Treachers' Fish and Chips mostly in the 70s. They closed some of their restaurants and it's been years since I've seen one.

  18. #3068
    Quote Originally Posted by nativeNY63 View Post
    And "Bob's Big Boy", "Jack-in-the-box", "Burger Chef", "Arthur Treacher's Fish & Chips", "LongJohn Silver's."
    "Jack in the Box" was about as low quaiity as "Checkers" aka "Rallys" when I was in college. The Big Boy franchise in Michigan was Elias Brothers and Shoney's Big Boy and in Toledo, it was Frischs Big Boy. I liked their burgers.
    Last edited by marv2; 07-18-2019 at 06:51 PM.

  19. #3069
    Nothing on Earth is better than a Detroit Coney Island though.........LOL! Best darn chili dog there ever was!

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coney_...#Detroit_style

  20. #3070
    Rally's bought out the old Snapp's burger joints and the food went downhill from day one. I don't eat meat anymore but Snapp's burgers were the only ones that tasted like beef to me. And Arthur Treacher's used to be the funk. I remember them serving their food on newspapers, which would gross the crap out of my wife but was part of the allure back then. None of the modern fish 'n chips restaurants compares, although we have a local bar (Old Bag Of Nails) that comes close.

  21. #3071
    My daughter told me that there are still[churches]chicken shacks still around.

  22. #3072
    There's a Church's about three miles from the folks' place. Another about five miles from where I live. Before I stopped eating meat, I had already written off Church's when I bought an 8 piece (which is normally legs and thighs) and paid three dollars to upgrade it to mixed light and dark meat and they gave me one wing and one breast for the extra three dollars. Not extra pieces, mind you. They switched a thigh for a wing and a leg for a breast. Why wouldn't they give me four light and four dark? I can't stand places where the employees are tone deaf to customer service.

  23. #3073
    But grady's still survives,amazing!!

  24. #3074
    We used to have a chicken restaurant in central Ohio called Sister's Chicken and Biscuits. That was the only thing that beat out KFC back then and the first restaurants to sell biscuits in our area. Also, Golden Bird which was cooked with a ton of garlic in the seasoning. Now, Popeye's seems to be as popular as KFC since the Colonel costs too much and has notoriously poor quality. Glad I gave it up.

  25. #3075
    Popeye's is da joint,in my estimation kfc is a distant third heck as far as i'm concerned-golden skillet is ahead of them...legend has it that church's chicken got started when an overflow of grease from grady's kitchen ran over and a new chicken spot was hatched!

  26. #3076
    That's probably true. I heard that a bunch of deacons ate at Grady's one Easter Sunday and later they began to sweat and it had so much grease in the sweat that they used it to cook the chicken. That accounts for all of the salt in the seasoning.

  27. #3077
    And the ol high school go-to, White Castle. Steamed burgers on a square bun. Or as we called it in the Boogie Down - murder burgers!

  28. #3078
    The term "sliders" originally referred to White Castle hamburgers. And it was not a term of endearment. I'm happy because they sell Impossible Meat sliders now. Waiting for Burger King to drop its Impossible Whopper here in a month or so.

    Remember when "meat" came from an animal?

  29. #3079
    Some eateries still use meat today...from whatever is laying on the road!!

  30. #3080
    Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    Some eateries still use meat today...from whatever is laying on the road!!
    Ever notice that there aren't many stray dogs and cats running around some neighborhoods? hehehehehehehe!

  31. #3081
    Quote Originally Posted by nativeNY63 View Post
    And the ol high school go-to, White Castle. Steamed burgers on a square bun. Or as we called it in the Boogie Down - murder burgers!
    How many nights I've been out in the city drinking and partying and wake up lying face down in a plate of White Castles in Huntington, NY! LOL! OMG! Oh and the one in Brentwood, LI.

  32. #3082
    Did anybody used to get served the grayish mystery meat "hamburgers" in school? They tasted like soy burgers taste today but I don't think they had soy meat back in the day. Also, we used to get these little square mystery meat pizzas once every couple of weeks. We would never buy that crap outside of school but I guess it says a lot about the rest of the menu that we went nuts over somewhat tasty food of unknown origin.

  33. #3083
    You guys had pizza?????[rich kids]hehehehe!

  34. #3084
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    Did anybody used to get served the grayish mystery meat "hamburgers" in school? They tasted like soy burgers taste today but I don't think they had soy meat back in the day. Also, we used to get these little square mystery meat pizzas once every couple of weeks. We would never buy that crap outside of school but I guess it says a lot about the rest of the menu that we went nuts over somewhat tasty food of unknown origin.
    And had to drink chocolate milk with our meals!
    No sugary juices or bottled water. Vending machines weren't in schools back inaday!

    Yeah, Jerry. I remember the mystery meatloaf too.

  35. #3085
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    Did anybody used to get served the grayish mystery meat "hamburgers" in school? They tasted like soy burgers taste today but I don't think they had soy meat back in the day. Also, we used to get these little square mystery meat pizzas once every couple of weeks. We would never buy that crap outside of school but I guess it says a lot about the rest of the menu that we went nuts over somewhat tasty food of unknown origin.
    Yeah it was called "Salisberry Steak" at my school LOL!

  36. #3086
    Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    You guys had pizza?????[rich kids]hehehehe!
    Yeah we did. We had pizza on a bun. LOL!

  37. #3087
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Yeah it was called "Salisberry Steak" at my school LOL!
    Oh, yeah. That's what they called it when they put gravy on it. I also remember they'd put it on a bun, soak it in gravy, sprinkle some reconstituted onions and add a pickle to it. Gravy burgers were always a huge hit in my high school. They got some good use out of that "meat" didn't they?

  38. #3088
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    Oh, yeah. That's what they called it when they put gravy on it. I also remember they'd put it on a bun, soak it in gravy, sprinkle some reconstituted onions and add a pickle to it. Gravy burgers were always a huge hit in my high school. They got some good use out of that "meat" didn't they?
    They sure did. When I found out in 1972 what was in bologna, I never ate it again! If I should stumble across what was really in that meat.....I'm suing. LOL!

  39. #3089
    Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa..marv,i ate so much bologna as a kid that i won't touch it today,aaaaaggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhh!!@@#$#@%%%^%&*&$ #@@!!!!

  40. #3090
    Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    You guys had pizza?????[rich kids]hehehehe!
    I don't think I knew what a pizza was until after I left school. There was a chain of restaurants in the UK called "The Old Kentucky" that used to sell them.

  41. #3091


    We were blessed with 'shit on a shingle'...which was aptly named!

  42. #3092
    Quote Originally Posted by lakeside View Post


    We were blessed with 'shit on a shingle'...which was aptly named!
    Greasy Grady would be proud of that. What is it?

  43. #3093
    Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    greasy grady would be proud of that. What is it?
    haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa a....are you kidding?? Grady invented that,and we don't wanna know!!!

  44. #3094
    I once saw that-sandwich??? On a plate at grady's,and i was gonna order one...until it crawled off of the plate an out the door!!!

  45. #3095
    Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    I once saw that-sandwich??? On a plate at grady's,and i was gonna order one...until it crawled off of the plate an out the door!!!
    Man! LOL!!!!!! You sure it wasn't SPAM? LOL!!!

  46. #3096
    Quote Originally Posted by lakeside View Post


    We were blessed with 'shit on a shingle'...which was aptly named!
    That don't look too good Lakeside. LOL!!!!

  47. #3097
    Quote Originally Posted by lakeside View Post


    We were blessed with 'shit on a shingle'...which was aptly named!
    Oh, man, I make SOS every couple of weeks. Although I use plant based meat instead of hamburger. It's a quick, cheap and easy way to prep a main course. Used to use the same recipe to make creamed beef and creamed ham on toast. Now a days, I put ketchup on the toast with a slice of cheese. Goes great with home fries.

    SOS is a slop recipe that the military used to serve to servicemen.

  48. #3098
    What about school cafeteria Sloppy Joe's and Spam's cousin, Scrapple?

  49. #3099
    I used to hate Spam. Braunschwager too. And from the time I heard the name "potted meat product", the idea of digging meat out of a flower pot and making some sort of product from it was a non-starter. I guess I wasn't a big fan of Armour-Star foods. Didn't even like Vienna sausage.

  50. #3100
    Quote Originally Posted by nativeNY63 View Post
    What about school cafeteria Sloppy Joe's and Spam's cousin, Scrapple?
    I thought scrapple was something they made out of corn meal and pork pan drippings. At least that is what I saw when I first moved to Pennsylvania years ago.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

[REMOVE ADS]

Ralph Terrana
MODERATOR

Welcome to Soulful Detroit! Kindly Consider Turning Off Your Ad BlockingX
Soulful Detroit is a free service that relies on revenue from ad display [regrettably] and donations. We notice that you are using an ad-blocking program that prevents us from earning revenue during your visit.
Ads are REMOVED for Members who donate to Soulful Detroit. [You must be logged in for ads to disappear]
DONATE HERE »
And have Ads removed.