[REMOVE ADS]

Page 52 of 77 FirstFirst ... 2 42 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 62 ... LastLast
Results 2,551 to 2,600 of 3827

Thread: Remember when?

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Ok you're going to have to explain this one. LOL! I really don't know.
    On the first day of the new month, you would just say "Pinch punch, first of the month" to a classmate, and playfully pinch and punch them. If you didn't add the phrase "no returns", they would possibly retaliate by saying, "Here's a kick for being so quick".

I don't know if this is done outside Britain.

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    I remember saying "bunny, bunny" and "rabbit, rabbit." Is this an across-the-pond tradition?
    We used to say "white rabbits", but I think that was only in March for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    Does anyone remember doing "Pinch Punch, First of the Month"?
    YES! People used to do it to me, but I never did it to anyone. I think I found it quite annoying as a child!

My cousin jokingly sent me a text this morning saying "Pinch punch...", and she's 62.

We didn't play that game but we had a brutal activity called "Bebogees". We'd start by swearing everybody in until midnight.

Tick, tock,
    This game is locked
    And won't open again until 12 o'clock

After that, every time someone was heard saying a word that began with the letter B, the people in the game would start to punch him as hard as they could in the back and chest until he realized what was going on and shouted "bebogees!". If we were in a particularly horrible mood, we required the person to first whistle before saying it. Have you ever tried to whistle while three of your best friends are punching you in the body? The worst was when we played it in the summer time because we stayed up and out until well after dark, so the midnight pledge held until we all went home.

Bebogees was more violent than "Smear the Queer" and "Buck, Buck".

On the first day of the new month, you would just say "Pinch punch, first of the month" to a classmate, and playfully pinch and punch them. If you didn't add the phrase "no returns", they would possibly retaliate by saying, "Here's a kick for being so quick".

I don't know if this is done outside Britain.
    Uh, no, it wasn't done where I lived in the States LOL! But it sounds like something kids would have done if we knew of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    We didn't play that game but we had a brutal activity called "Bebogees". We'd start by swearing everybody in until midnight.

Tick, tock,
    This game is locked
    And won't open again until 12 o'clock

After that, every time someone was heard saying a word that began with the letter B, the people in the game would start to punch him as hard as they could in the back and chest until he realized what was going on and shouted "bebogees!". If we were in a particularly horrible mood, we required the person to first whistle before saying it. Have you ever tried to whistle while three of your best friends are punching you in the body? The worst was when we played it in the summer time because we stayed up and out until well after dark, so the midnight pledge held until we all went home.

Bebogees was more violent than "Smear the Queer" and "Buck, Buck".
    We didn't play that one either. I was getting ready to go to a family reunion this afternoon where I'd see older cousins, cousins that babysat me back in the 60s and for some reason I started remembering the game "Red Rover". You know where you had two lines of kids facing each other, hands clasped and one side chants "Red rover, red over, let Jerry come over" and then you would have to run to try to break through their chain or you'd be caught and they'd get a point.

Red Rover, Mother May I and Duck Duck Goose were all games we played before [[video) games played us. Did you guys divvy up teams by playing "One Potato", where kids stood in circles with two fists presented? The kid doing the divvying up would hit each fist in order and say "1 potato, 2 potato, 3 potato, 4. 5 potato, 6 potato, 7 potato more". The kid who got his fist touched on "more" put his hand behind his back and the ritual started over with the next kid. The last kid with a hand in the circle [[or the first with both hands behind his back) was the one who got selected or won what was being offered.

We didn't play that one either. I was getting ready to go to a family reunion this afternoon where I'd see older cousins, cousins that babysat me back in the 60s and for some reason I started remembering the game "Red Rover". You know where you had two lines of kids facing each other, hands clasped and one side chants "Red rover, red over, let Jerry come over" and then you would have to run to try to break through their chain or you'd be caught and they'd get a point.
    Please tell me that you played Curb Ball, the ultimate sport for black city kids. That was where you threw a ball and tried to have it hit at just the right angle on the curb that it bounced right back to the kid who threw it. I still see kids playing curb ball.

And Smear the Queer was a form of rugby where one kid had to play against up to 12 or so other kids. Very violent but also great exercise and great fun.

Red Rover, Mother May I and Duck Duck Goose were all games we played before [[video) games played us. Did you guys divvy up teams by playing "One Potato", where kids stood in circles with two fists presented? The kid doing the divvying up would hit each fist in order and say "1 potato, 2 potato, 3 potato, 4. 5 potato, 6 potato, 7 potato more". The kid who got his fist touched on "more" put his hand behind his back and the ritual started over with the next kid. The last kid with a hand in the circle [[or the first with both hands behind his back) was the one who got selected or won what was being offered.
    Yeah I remember one potato, two potato etc. LOL! I was in Pittsburgh last weekend visiting my nephew. He, his mother and a few of his friends are teachers. They were explaining to me how they can no longer use the term "Dodge ball" because it has been deemed to be too violent, so they call it something else now. I nearly fell out when I heard that.

Please tell me that you played Curb Ball, the ultimate sport for black city kids. That was where you threw a ball and tried to have it hit at just the right angle on the curb that it bounced right back to the kid who threw it. I still see kids playing curb ball.

And Smear the Queer was a form of rugby where one kid had to play against up to 12 or so other kids. Very violent but also great exercise and great fun.
    Oh shit yeah. oops I mean heck yeah! LOL! Everybody played Curb Ball. That mention last weekend too in Pittsburgh. We played stick ball just like the kids did in New York City because we didn't always have a regulation bat LOL! He played "Hide and go get it" with the girls. We thought we were being really naughty back then, but we just getting close to one of the girls on the block, maybe stealing a kiss that type of thing. That Smear the Queer sounds like our "Kill the Man with the Ball" where one guy would have the football and the whole street would tackle and do pile up on them LOL! Then there was "King of the Hill" we use to mostly play in Winter where we'd make this huge snow pile and one kid would climb to the top and the rest would have to try to pull him down. So many great memories.....

Yeah I remember one potato, two potato etc. LOL! I was in Pittsburgh last weekend visiting my nephew. He, his mother and a few of his friends are teachers. They were explaining to me how they can no longer use the term "Dodge ball" because it has been deemed to be too violent, so they call it something else now. I nearly fell out when I heard that.
    I used to be scared to death playing dodge ball. I had a friend named Dave who got a concussion playing in the 7th grade. I didn't know that was possible until then. Of course, hitting someone in the head eliminated the thrower but it happened. I still can hear the sound that the ball made popping off of his face. The rest of the day in class and study hall, his eyes were bloodshot and he was dizzy. In 2018, they'd send him to the ER but in 1974, he just had to kind of rub some dirt on it and go about his day.

And when I made it to high school, my sophomore gym class somehow got combined with my older brother's senior class in a dodge ball match. Of course, the big kids picked us off one at a time. Thanks to my dislike for dodge ball, I hid behind other kids until I was the last one on my team against three on the other side. I collected most of the balls and got lucky throwing one guy out. Then, I caught a ball. Finally, I tried to juke and a kid hit the heel of my foot and the ball popped up about 15 feet in the air and I caught it easily. I got to play hero for a day. Later, my brother [[the most competitive person in my family by far) vented that they would have won if "Pele" hadn't been the last one playing and for the rest of the 10th grade, the seniors called me Pele.

I used to be scared to death playing dodge ball. I had a friend named Dave who got a concussion playing in the 7th grade. I didn't know that was possible until then. Of course, hitting someone in the head eliminated the thrower but it happened. I still can hear the sound that the ball made popping off of his face. The rest of the day in class and study hall, his eyes were bloodshot and he was dizzy. In 2018, they'd send him to the ER but in 1974, he just had to kind of rub some dirt on it and go about his day.

And when I made it to high school, my sophomore gym class somehow got combined with my older brother's senior class in a dodge ball match. Of course, the big kids picked us off one at a time. Thanks to my dislike for dodge ball, I hid behind other kids until I was the last one on my team against three on the other side. I collected most of the balls and got lucky throwing one guy out. Then, I caught a ball. Finally, I tried to juke and a kid hit the heel of my foot and the ball popped up about 15 feet in the air and I caught it easily. I got to play hero for a day. Later, my brother [[the most competitive person in my family by far) vented that they would have won if "Pele" hadn't been the last one playing and for the rest of the 10th grade, the seniors called me Pele.
    Are you sure you weren't playing "Battle Ball" which is a much tougher, violent version of Dodge Ball?

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 325
Size:  21.1 KB
    Hey! What happened to my story about the time I was handchecking a much bigger centre, leaning on his back, and he turned around and threw the basketball straight at my face, using my head for a bobble-head??? All our posts from that point on have been erased!

I think we're in the Twilight Zone. I had a couple of well-reasoned and perfectly punctuated posts that are gone. I put a lot of effort into them and now, they are

...gone.

I think we're in the Twilight Zone. I had a couple of well-reasoned and perfectly punctuated posts that are gone. I put a lot of effort into them and now, they are

...gone.
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 347
Size:  21.1 KB
    There was a period of several hours when the Motown Forum and Clubhouse were down, unavailable. The erasing occurred during that time.

Well, I'm scratching my head. I'm hesitant to revisit several threads that had good dialogue because two days worth of conversation are gone. We'll see...

I THOUGHT THAT TRUMP HAD PUT UP HIS[WALL OF SHAME]HEHE,TO KEEP US OUT I HAD A DODGEBALL POST TOO THAT GOT ERASED...[i think the trump white house is behind it]...WE'VE BEEN-TRUMPED!!

I wonder if thise Net Neutrality has anything to do with it. I was having major problems accessing the site to my credit union too.

You have a-credit union? Dang marv you so lucky!!

Yes, we had "One Potato", but we used "Dip, Dip, Dip" more often. It went:

Dip, dip, dip,
    My little ship,
    Sailing in the water,
    Like a cup and saucer,
    You are not It,
    Because the king and queen said so.
    O-U-T spells Out.

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    You have a-credit union? Dang marv you so lucky!!
    Please don't do that....................hehehehehehehe!

Yes, we had "One Potato", but we used "Dip, Dip, Dip" more often. It went:

Dip, dip, dip,
    My little ship,
    Sailing in the water,
    Like a cup and saucer,
    You are not It,
    Because the king and queen said so.
    O-U-T spells Out.
    Why do you guys have to be so difficult? LOL!!!!!

Lot's of phrases that we said as kids have all but gone forgotten. "I'm rubber, you're glue and what you say bounces off me and sticks to you", "takes one to know one" and "first one takes the last one's place" were things we heard almost daily in elementary school. And of course, "look who's talking". Kids are rude as heck.

Lot's of phrases that we said as kids have all but gone forgotten. "I'm rubber, you're glue and what you say bounces off me and sticks to you", "takes one to know one" and "first one takes the last one's place" were things we heard almost daily in elementary school. And of course, "look who's talking". Kids are rude as heck.
    "Takes one to know one" is still in use over here.

I remember the "Nasty Batman Theme" song! LOL! I remember clean stuff too like "Last Night, night before, 24 robbers at my door.........".

"Takes one to know one" is still in use over here.
    144man, did you know we had a game in the States, well at least in Detroit, Toledo, etc. called "Bullsh*t"? It referenced the Prince of Wales. Now this was played even before he was officially crowned in 1969.

Remember terms/word we used in high school...that are long gone now.
    When I was in high school....everything that looked good was 'tough'...as, those
    tight jeans look tough. Shoes that looked goofy or our grandparents wore were
    'moon boots'.

Quote Originally Posted by lakeside View Post
    Remember terms/word we used in high school...that are long gone now.
    When I was in high school....everything that looked good was 'tough'...as, those
    tight jeans look tough. Shoes that looked goofy or our grandparents wore were
    'moon boots'.

In Junior High when you would purposely say something to mislead someone you would say "psych"! My buddy in college when he was in agreement with something, he'd say "solid". Here in New York whenever someone says something unbelievable, we go "Get outta Dodge" LOL!

Well, I'm still calling people "homeboy". As a matter of fact, the only thing in my Twitter bio is "Aging Homeboy". And if a situation exists from the beginning [[like a musician that you have always liked), it's been like that "from the giddyup". I'm getting confused looks lately when I call people "turkeys" for being goofy. I had to dust it off and put it back in circulation.

Jerry,you are a-cool daddy o!!

Oh, I am a def and fresh and fly guy!

Hey jerry,they call me[def]too but it's followed by dumb!!!

Hey jerry,they call me[def]too but it's followed by dumb!!!
    You so crazy! LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What kills me is what people say in different parts of the country and leave you trying to determine what they meant. For instance, decades ago when I came to New York, friends of mine would say "Come over by us this Thanksgiving, etc". Translation - "Please come to my house for Thanksgiving Dinner" LOL!
    Last edited by marv2; 09-12-2018 at 07:44 PM.

In Junior High when you would purposely say something to mislead someone you would say "psych"!...
    I have a friend who still says that, usually when making out that he is going to shake hands, then taking his hand away at the last moment.

144man, did you know we had a game in the States, well at least in Detroit, Toledo, etc. called "Bullsh*t"? It referenced the Prince of Wales. Now this was played even before he was officially crowned in 1969.
    That's a new one on me.

What kills me is what people say in different parts of the country and leave you trying to determine what they meant. For instance, decades ago when I came to New York, friends of mine would say "Come over by us this Thanksgiving, etc". Translation - "Please to my house for Thanksgiving Dinner" LOL!
    Man, when I moved to Memphis, I had to scratch my head often. The one that threw me the most was "Well, I'm finna leave at 3 o'clock." It was bad enough that "fixing to" meant nothing to me in central Ohio, but taking that unknown phrase and country-fying it to "finna" was unfair.

And in Virginia, they call greens "salad". It took a while to get used to pop being soda down there, too. And in some places, of course, it's referred to as soda pop.

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa,what about some old folks would say...goin to make groceries-going to the store for groceries!!

Don't forget all of the handshakes we used to have. There was regular handshake, the soul shake, the slide, "gimme five", five on the black hand side, high five, low five, dap, bump and about ten other ones that people had that were unique to their neighborhoods [[and sometimes just to their cliques).

And when I mentioned "homeboy" earlier, that morphed into "homey", "homes", "home dog" and "home slice". I wonder how anybody could make it in the US if they were trying to learn English? Because we surely don't speak it here.

I have a friend who still says that, usually when making out that he is going to shake hands, then taking his hand away at the last moment.
    Exactly! Perfect example! LOL!

That's a new one on me.
    I'll do part of it now. It is usually done with 2 or more people. "The Prince of Wales was walking down the street and step in a pile b*llsh*t" then others go "Who sh*t" etc,etc. The object is to say it as fast as you can to try to trip the other player.
    Last edited by marv2; 09-12-2018 at 07:59 PM.

Man, when I moved to Memphis, I had to scratch my head often. The one that threw me the most was "Well, I'm finna leave at 3 o'clock." It was bad enough that "fixing to" meant nothing to me in central Ohio, but taking that unknown phrase and country-fying it to "finna" was unfair.

And in Virginia, they call greens "salad". It took a while to get used to pop being soda down there, too. And in some places, of course, it's referred to as soda pop.
    I know what you mean. I have to remember to say "pop" whenever I am back in Ohio or Michigan. We just say soda in N Y. I remember visiting relatives in the South, in Mississippi as a kid and they called all soft drinks either "a Coke" or "Sody Water" LOL!

In Boston, if someone asks if you want "a coffee or cawffe regular" they mean with sugar and milk or cream. If you go over into Brooklyn and go to like Junior's Cheesecake/Diner you have to have an "Egg Cream" . One time I was there with this real asshole boss I had at time and we told him he should try one. He actually thought they were going to bring a drink with eggs and cream mixed in it LOL! An egg cream is an old school fountain drink made out of milk, carbonated water, and flavored syrup [[usually chocolate or vanilla).

Oh yeah another thing I remember hearing in the South was "dress you coffee" meaning add milk and sugar.

In Canada they put gravy on their barbeque instead of barbeque sauce! LOL!

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa,what about some old folks would say...goin to make groceries-going to the store for groceries!!
    It's them saying "I'm going to make it the hard way" meaning they are going out to gamble or to Bingo. LOL! Boy, I missing my Grandparents' generation and all the old people I knew in New York that thought it was their job to mentor me about life LOL!

Don't forget all of the handshakes we used to have. There was regular handshake, the soul shake, the slide, "gimme five", five on the black hand side, high five, low five, dap, bump and about ten other ones that people had that were unique to their neighborhoods [[and sometimes just to their cliques).

And when I mentioned "homeboy" earlier, that morphed into "homey", "homes", "home dog" and "home slice". I wonder how anybody could make it in the US if they were trying to learn English? Because we surely don't speak it here.
    Oh I remember well the handshakes etc. I still get a kick out of hearing people on Long Island use terms that New Yorkers used back 40's, 50s etc. LOL! Stuff like:

"Oh he's a real pisser"
    "Not for nuthin'"
    "Oh you're a real wisenheimer" LOL!
    "So you think you're betta than me, huh?"
    "Who's betta than you?!"
    "Go under the train trussle, and there it is!" LOL!
    Last edited by marv2; 09-12-2018 at 08:04 PM.

I know what you mean. I have to remember to say "pop" whenever I am back in Ohio or Michigan. We just say soda in N Y. I remember visiting relatives in the South, in Mississippi as a kid and they called all soft drinks either "a Coke" or "Sody Water" LOL!

In Boston, if someone asks if you want "a coffee or cawffe regular" they mean with sugar and milk or cream. If you go over into Brooklyn and go to like Junior's Cheesecake/Diner you have to have an "Egg Cream" . One time I was there with this real asshole boss I had at time and we told him he should try one. He actually thought they were going to bring a drink with eggs and cream mixed in it LOL! An egg cream is an old school fountain drink made out of milk, carbonated water, and flavored syrup [[usually chocolate or vanilla).
    Reminds me of a story I read in Readers Digest years ago where a woman and her husband moved to Boston. A group of ladies in the neighborhood invited her over for lunch one day and one of them told her how much she just loved her "PSDS". The new neighbor thanked her and all the others who agreed that her "PSDS" was beautiful. It was much later that she understood their accent and realized that they were talking about how much they liked her pierced ears. LOL!

And this was my favorite commercial for a long time when it aired about 10 years ago:

Reminds me of a story I read in Readers Digest years ago where a woman and her husband moved to Boston. A group of ladies in the neighborhood invited her over for lunch one day and one of them told her how much she just loved her "PSDS". The new neighbor thanked her and all the others who agreed that her "PSDS" was beautiful. It was much later that she understood their accent and realized that they were talking about how much they liked her pierced ears. LOL!

And this was my favorite commercial for a long time when it aired about 10 years ago:

Exactly! LOL! The accent is different still when you go south into Rhode Island or even out to Fall River aka "Fa Riva" or New Bedford. hehehehehehehe!

You remember how the Kennedy's sounded? Everybody sounds like that up there. LOL!

Hey who had a gym or shop teacher who would call you..young punk,if we pissed him off,haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!