[REMOVE ADS]

Page 51 of 77 FirstFirst ... 41 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 61 ... LastLast
Results 2,501 to 2,550 of 3827

Thread: Remember when?

Did we have fun or what?

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    Did we have fun or what?
    We had more fun than was probably legal! hehehehehehehehe!

And we had fun without $400 gaming consoles, $200 tennis shoes or $800 cell phones. How's that possible?

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    And we had fun without $400 gaming consoles, $200 tennis shoes or $800 cell phones. How's that possible?
    I am laughing because you couldn't even find anything that cost that much for kids when I was growing up. I am laughing harder trying to imagine myself even having the nerve to ask my parents for stuff that cost that much! LOL!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I am laughing because you couldn't even find anything that cost that much for kids when I was growing up. I am laughing harder trying to imagine myself even having the nerve to ask my parents for stuff that cost that much! LOL!!!!
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 445
Size:  21.1 KB
    I never asked my parents for money for anything. But, then, I worked hard in my father's store starting at age 5. My pay moved up with my value, and I was always a hard worker. I always had enough money for anything I wanted. When I was little, regular comic books were 10¢, and annuals were 25¢. The movie show was 25¢, and you could stay all day on a Saturday. Hockey and baseball cards were 5¢ a pack. I got all my hockey equipment free [[hand me downs). I didn't have to ask my Dad and uncle to build a real hockey rink in our two combined backyards. They took out the fence and built one without my requesting it. I got bigger things like a B.B. gun for my birthday. I never had to buy my own clothes.

It was easy for my parents to buy clothes for me: lots of tee shirts white socks blue jeans [[quite a few of those were hand-me-downs from my older cousins who lived in our house, or the others next door. My parents bought me decent quality high-top sneakers [[basketball shoes) on sale for maybe $7-$10 Canadian. I'm glad I wasn't born after the 1980s, and faced prices like $300 shirts and shoes. But, I'd have never worn those things anyway. If some young woman would have been down on me for not being shallow enough to act like a sheep following fashion trends, then she was someone I'd have wanted to avoid.

If someone can't accept me for the way I am [[clean, but sloppy and unfashionable), I don't care. I definitely wouldn't want to live with someone who thinks I'm not adequate the way I am, and need to be fixed up! I'm open to legitimate criticism, and will try to change if I see that what I am doing is hurting someone, animals, plants, [[or The World as a whole). But I'm not going to dress like a fashion plate, or listen to "IN" music, or quote in philosophers, just to impress people. Across the creek that limits my backyard is a sheep farm. I see enough of them every day. I don't need to hang out with more of them, nor do I need to become one, myself!

Amen robb,amen!!!

I remember asking my father for my first pair of[chucks]he was cool til i told him that they cost eight dollars..after looking at me like i was crazy,he let me get em.

I wore some Pro Keds in high school. Nike as not a brand. I'll bet I never wore shoes that cost more than $20 while in school and now kids shoot each other and riot over $250 "retro" shoes. What the hell is wrong with our society?

I wore white Chuck Taylor Converse high tops all through high school.

Me too marv!!

My last pair of Chucks as a kid was in junior high. I bought some in the '80s, trying to be fashionable and those shoes had no arch support at all. When I wore them to the clubs, I felt like my feet would have felt better if I'd gone out barefoot.

But they looked good...

After kareem wore his leather hi tops,it was all over for chucks.

And after Jordan won his first slam dunk contest, it was over for adidas, Converse and Puma. He literally put billions of dollars in their coffers. I know he was well compensated, but I doubt he received his true value for what he did as an endorser. Rumor has it that LeBron has a lifetime contract with Nike worth a billion dollars. I have to believe Jordan has something similar [[probably a lot of Nike stock), seeing as he's a billionaire.

Haaaaaaaaaaa,yep,jordan put em on life support.

Puma's coming back. Meanwhile, adidas is paying college players illegally to make a comeback. And I'm still buying a pair of Franklin's from Wal-Mart for $19.

I didn't know that ol ben was an athlete,hehehe!!

LOL. It took me a couple of readings before I got that. But nah, my Franklins are much older than Ben and they don't cost a Benjamin to buy them.

Umm sounds cool,maybe i better get down to walmart!!

Maybe. I just bought a pair of Puma walking shoes for $19 and they're light as air. I'm going to be wearing them now that sandal season is coming to an end.

By the way, does anyone remember having a parent or teacher tie your shoes when you were too young to do it yourself? I remember them saying "put your finger right here" but for the life of me, I don't know why.

Does anyone remember Earth Shoes? UGLY! Of course, had to have a
    pair and I swear, they did permanent orthopedic damage!

Remember these socks from the 70's?

Quote Originally Posted by lakeside View Post

Remember these socks from the 70's?
    LOL. I forgot all about those but we all wore them.

We just had a 70s High School reunion last weekend. Many of the ladies wore the afro wigs.

Come on, Marv... I'm pushing up on my 40th reunion and you're gonna remind me of that?

Come on, Marv... I'm pushing up on my 40th reunion and you're gonna remind me of that?
    Well that was my 40th last weekend. It was HUGE LOL! 3 days of unadulterated fun and merriment LOL! So many showed up for my class and the the all class reunion picnic drew thousands.

Quote Originally Posted by lakeside View Post

does anyone remember earth shoes? Ugly! Of course, had to have a
    pair and i swear, they did permanent orthopedic damage!
    i once dated a girl who looked like those,hehe!!

Maybe. I just bought a pair of Puma walking shoes for $19 and they're light as air. I'm going to be wearing them now that sandal season is coming to an end.

By the way, does anyone remember having a parent or teacher tie your shoes when you were too young to do it yourself? I remember them saying "put your finger right here" but for the life of me, I don't know why.
    It was untying the shoes that was my problem. I used to get knots in the laces, then couldn't get the shoes off.

Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    it was untying the shoes that was my problem. I used to get knots in the laces, then couldn't get the shoes off.
    haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaa!!!

Views: 309
    We had our 55th this year, and I haven't yet attended one. Actually, I was NEVER on the same continent when our reunion's took place. I don't like to be in Chicago in summer, anyway. It's too hot [[even though a lot of people now have air conditioning in their homes nowadays). Nobody did when I was young. You had to go to a movie theatre to cool off. Probably half my class is deceased or too decrepit to show up.

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
Views: 309
    We had our 55th this year, and I haven't yet attended one. Actually, I was NEVER on the same continent when our reunion's took place. I don't like to be in Chicago in summer, anyway. It's too hot [[even though a lot of people now have air conditioning in their homes nowadays). Nobody did when I was young. You had to go to a movie theatre to cool off. Probably half my class is deceased or too decrepit to show up.
    Reading schoolmates' obituaries is something you never get used to. Fortunately, only a few of mine have passed but a couple were people I knew well. I'm on Facebook a lot less these days but it is a great tool for staying in touch.

Reading schoolmates' obituaries is something you never get used to. Fortunately, only a few of mine have passed but a couple were people I knew well. I'm on Facebook a lot less these days but it is a great tool for staying in touch.
    Jerry we've had many pass over the years that we decided not to do a formal memorial and just let classmates talk about the ones we've lost among themselves. It would have just brought down the spirit of the whole event. We lost one girl just since the reunion. She attended and then died suddenly a few days ago.

My senior class president gave me a call yesterday! LOL! I hadn't seen him in all these years until the reunion.

I'm wondering if we're even having a 40 year reunion. I'm kind of chapped to learn that there have been a couple of neighborhood reunions that people I'm close to knew about but somehow escaped my attention. I found out about them from a close friend who lives in D.C. and I'm still in town with the same number that I had since I moved back from Memphis in 1994.

I'm wondering if we're even having a 40 year reunion. I'm kind of chapped to learn that there have been a couple of neighborhood reunions that people I'm close to knew about but somehow escaped my attention. I found out about them from a close friend who lives in D.C. and I'm still in town with the same number that I had since I moved back from Memphis in 1994.

I don't what it is with this time of year,but tomorrow I have to be in Pittsburgh. My nephew and his girlfriend are expecting twins and is having a Pampers Party and then next weekend it is Family Reunion time again....whew!

I don't what it is with this time of year,but tomorrow I have to be in Pittsburgh. My nephew and his girlfriend are expecting twins and is having a Pampers Party and then next weekend it is Family Reunion time again....whew!
    I don't know what it is with the next generation of my family. Mom and Dad have four kids and nine grandkids [[none from me) but only got their first great-grandkid two years ago. We go to picnics and some of my cousins' kids get out of cars with what looks like a clown car full of rug rats following them. The grandkids are all grown, only two have been married [[one's now divorced) so it's good that they're not having kids before they're ready. But I was thinking there'd be at least five or six by now instead of only two.

I don't know what it is with the next generation of my family. Mom and Dad have four kids and nine grandkids [[none from me) but only got their first great-grandkid two years ago. We go to picnics and some of my cousins' kids get out of cars with what looks like a clown car full of rug rats following them. The grandkids are all grown, only two have been married [[one's now divorced) so it's good that they're not having kids before they're ready. But I was thinking there'd be at least five or six by now instead of only two.
    Today divorce is as common as marriage. I don't know who got married in this past year. Also, there are numerous reports and videos up on Youtube that address exactly what you said. There are far fewer babies born now than even 20 years ago for a variety of reasons. The birth rates in almost all Western countries is in the negative. There is a reason why stores like Toys R Us closed after decades.

I remember hanging out in the toy section while Mom shopped for clothes. Anything with a dinosaur had my fingerprints all over it.

I remember hanging out in the toy section while Mom shopped for clothes. Anything with a dinosaur had my fingerprints all over it.
    Oh, man! Speaking of great-grands, my brother’s oldest grandson is a dinosaur savant at 5. He never leaves home without at least two dinosaur figures in tow. It’s incredible. No joke: One day, he asked his grandpa, “What’s your favorite prehistoric herbivore?” Off the dome, my brother named a T. Rex or something; little Derek looked at him with deep disappointment and consternation and said, “Papi...that’s a CARNIVORE.” Unreal. Maybe he’ll become a paleontologist! 😁
    Last edited by sansradio; 08-25-2018 at 12:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    Oh, man! Speaking of great-grands, my brother’s oldest grandson is a dinosaur savant at 5. He never leaves home without at least two dinosaur figures in tow. It’s incredible. No joke: One day, he asked his grandpa, “What’s your favorite prehistoric herbivore?” Off the dome, my brother named a T. Rex or something; little Derek looked at him with deep disappointment and consternation and said, “Papi...that’s a CARNIVORE.” Unreal. Maybe he’ll become a paleontologist! ��
    Just to think, as a little kid in the 1960s all I'd be able to answer would be "Dino the Dinosaur" and "Cecil the Dragon"! LOL!!!!!

Mom used to take us to the library every couple of weeks. I'd always get at least one book about dinosaurs and another about wildlife. If I had been thinking clearly when I graduated, I would have gone to college for a science like biology or paleontology instead of wasting four years before realizing that there was no future in partying five nights a week. As a fifth grader, I had a great head start on all sorts of dinosaur information and to this day, I watch at least one dinosaur video on YouTube a month.

I'll never forget hearing that one of my cousins, who went to a different junior high school after we both left the same elementary school, was in academic trouble because he didn't know how to read. Mom took him and his big brother along with us to the library and he always checked out three or four books. But he couldn't read in the seventh grade. SMH. Probably the greatest thing my mother did for me [[besides giving birth) was instilling a desire to read.

The second was signing me up for 8th grade typing behind my back. I looked at my schedule and was shocked but that was one of the most important classes I took in my life.

just to think, as a little kid in the 1960s all i'd be able to answer would be "dino the dinosaur" and "cecil the dragon"! Lol!!!!!
    hey marv,that's all i can answer now!!

Quote Originally Posted by jerry oz View Post
    mom used to take us to the library every couple of weeks. I'd always get at least one book about dinosaurs and another about wildlife. If i had been thinking clearly when i graduated, i would have gone to college for a science like biology or paleontology instead of wasting four years before realizing that there was no future in partying five nights a week. As a fifth grader, i had a great head start on all sorts of dinosaur information and to this day, i watch at least one dinosaur video on youtube a month.

I'll never forget hearing that one of my cousins, who went to a different junior high school after we both left the same elementary school, was in academic trouble because he didn't know how to read. Mom took him and his big brother along with us to the library and he always checked out three or four books. But he couldn't read in the seventh grade. Smh. Probably the greatest thing my mother did for me [[besides giving birth) was instilling a desire to read.

The second was signing me up for 8th grade typing behind my back. I looked at my schedule and was shocked but that was one of the most important classes i took in my life.
    there's no future in partying five nights a week??? Now you tell me!!

hehehehehehehehe! LOL!!!!

What about Donald Trump?

What about Donald Trump?
    He is a different kind of dinosaur, he is a Donaldsauris Rex!

More of a-stupidasauris!!

Pretty sure he's a Turdosaurus Max.

Pretty sure he's a Turdosaurus Max.
    I'll buy that! LOL!!!!

Does anyone remember doing "Pinch Punch, First of the Month"?

Ok you're going to have to explain this one. LOL! I really don't know.

I remember saying "bunny, bunny" and "rabbit, rabbit." Is this an across-the-pond tradition?