[REMOVE ADS]

Page 5 of 73 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 15 55 ... LastLast

Thread: Remember when?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
    Originally Posted by soulster
    The good old days weren't always so good.

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 470
Size:  21.1 KB
    Will you really, 144man?

And how good were race relations back in "Our Good Old Days"? I remember [[while visiting The Chicago Area in 1951) that our family wasn't allowed on certain public beaches in Indiana - and we were "Caucasians". Imagine how I'd feel about those "Good Old Days" if I were an African-American?

I carried a switchblade to junior high school, because some of the Ukrainian gang or bully types would jump us Jews on the way to or from school [[ostensibly because some of our ancestors killed their "god" [[who, incidentally, was a Jew, himself, who they'd have jumped and attempted to beat up [[I guess????)). And that was in benign Canada, whose race relations were much less nasty than those in USA.

And if you're British, and such race relations as these don't apply [[which i can't imagine, as The British upper classes have always been terribly racist), how did you like having to constantly toss an half crown into the box to get a little more heat on a freezing winter night? [[or do you STILL have to do that?

Like all places on Earth and all times, there were good and bad things. Whether the overall experience could be more positive than negative, or better or worse than another time depends upon one's values [[and memory).

Personally, I enjoy my life more now than I did in the good old days. But, I would not want to be growing up now, because The World is way too bizarre. I identify much more with the 1940s through 1960s. But it may have been a tougher life to get through back then as compared to now. But, perhaps it was more rewarding to do so.

Most people I know identify with the period of their teens or their 20s. A few identify with their early 30s. Their "good old days" almost always come from those times, regardless of whether or not they "enjoyed" other times better.
    Robb, you make many good points. As children in the sixties, my brothers and sister did not come directly in contact with racism. We were even in Mississippi that summer of '64 when Chaney, Goodman, and Schwerner were murdered. We were in Memphis 2 months after MLK was assassinated in '68......Heck we were in Kent, OH one month after the students were killed at Kent State in '70 and did not realized how close to history we were.

I sure do...remember when you could go into a business and actually speak to the manager about employment and he would actually call you back.

Remember reading "the tracks on this album were recorded at a state-of-the-art 16 track facility" in the liner notes?
    Or putting a penny on your turntable arm?
    Or recording a five minute song on a cassette and having the sucker skip with 20 seconds left?
    Or making your mix tape when somebody with concrete bricks for feet came walking across the floor?
    Or the smell of freshly opened vinyl albums?
    Or the frustration of finding out that even though there was very little information on the dust jacket, there was no supplementary information inside [[talking to you, MCA records!)?
    How about when you discovered MTV [[when it was still fun and videos were interesting)?
    Remember the excitement of hearing a new song by a favorite band on the radio?

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    Remember reading "the tracks on this album were recorded at a state-of-the-art 16 track facility" in the liner notes?
    I remember reading the liner notes of an Eagles or Linda Ronstadt album and it saying that ir was recorded on an MCI console or used the Aphex Aural Exciter, neither of which sounded very good, IMO.

Or putting a penny on your turntable arm?
    No way in hell would I ever do that today!

Or recording a five minute song on a cassette and having the sucker skip with 20 seconds left?
    Or having the tape run out just maybe ten seconds of the song left. Or, trying to calculate the end so you could pick a shorter song, or do some fancy editing with the pause button, if your machine was precise enough.

Or making your mix tape when somebody with concrete bricks for feet came walking across the floor?
    My stereo was in a room with a cement foundation.

Or the smell of freshly opened vinyl albums?
    Or, the warm smell of a freshly recorded reel-to-reel tape.

Or the frustration of finding out that even though there was very little information on the dust jacket, there was no supplementary information inside [[talking to you, MCA records!)?
    Back in the 80s, both CBS and MCA made reissues that were skimpy on packaging to get to a lower price point. They did it in the CD age, too.

How about when you discovered MTV [[when it was still fun and videos were interesting)?
    Remember the excitement of hearing a new song by a favorite band on the radio?
    We got MTV on January 2, 1984, just in time for endless rotation of Van Halen's "Jump". Yay.

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    I remember reading the liner notes of an Eagles or Linda Ronstadt album and it saying that ir was recorded on an MCI console or used the Aphex Aural Exciter, neither of which sounded very good, IMO.

No way in hell would I ever do that today!

Or having the tape run out just maybe ten seconds of the song left. Or, trying to calculate the end so you could pick a shorter song, or do some fancy editing with the pause button, if your machine was precise enough.

My stereo was in a room with a cement foundation.

Or, the warm smell of a freshly recorded reel-to-reel tape.

Back in the 80s, both CBS and MCA made reissues that were skimpy on packaging to get to a lower price point. They did it in the CD age, too.

We got MTV on January 2, 1984, just in time for endless rotation of Van Halen's "Jump". Yay.
    I knew if anybody around here would have fond memories of [[most of) those things it would be your or Marv.

I knew if anybody around here would have fond memories of [[most of) those things it would be your or Marv.
    That's true. I love life and have a lot of great memories. I thank God I grew up in era that I did!

IMO, I don't think we talk about this stuff enough around here. I remember two or three years ago starting a thread about what kind of stereo the members have, and half of the ones that did bother to respond got hostile. Maybe they listen on Crossleys.

Remember when guys were called[cats]and girls were[chicks]and a[hoe]was a tool used in the yard and a[bitch]was the neighbors female dog.

Hah! I've got a rather generic 40-watt Sony receiver. Living with shared walls, I can't play my music too loud without my neighbors reciprocating at all hours of the day and night, so I bought one that I can play low through speakers or sounds good through headphones. I'd love to move into a house so I can play my music out loud again.

My first one back in the early '80s was an old Marantz 4240 that I bought at a flea market for $50. I can't believe they made quad tuners when there was so little quad product to play. It was loud enough to blow up my dad's speakers and had better fidelity than the components I plugged into it [[a Sanyo cassette deck and a 10-band Realistic graphic equalizer).

Don't laugh; I was never an audiophile, just a music fan...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Jerry Oz; 09-21-2015 at 02:08 AM.

Hah! I've got a rather generic 40-watt Sony receiver. Living with shared walls, I can't play my music too loud without my neighbors reciprocating at all hours of the day and night, so I bought one that I can play low through speakers or sounds good through headphones. I'd love to move into a house so I can play my music out loud again.

My first one back in the early '80s was an old Marantz 4240 that I bought at a flea market for $50. I can't believe they made quad tuners when there was so little quad product to play. It was loud enough to blow up my dad's speakers and had better fidelity than the components I plugged into it [[a Sanyo cassette deck and a 10-band Realistic graphic equalizer).

Don't laugh; I was never an audiophile, just a music fan...
    I'm not laughing. Lots of audiophiles love those old Marantz units.

Just a warning: if you ever move to a house again, buy a more powerful receiver. You will blow your speakers driving them with such an underpowered amp playing it loud.

Quote Originally Posted by jerry oz View Post
    hah! I've got a rather generic 40-watt sony receiver. Living with shared walls, i can't play my music too loud without my neighbors reciprocating at all hours of the day and night, so i bought one that i can play low through speakers or sounds good through headphones. I'd love to move into a house so i can play my music out loud again.

My first one back in the early '80s was an old marantz 4240 that i bought at a flea market for $50. I can't believe they made quad tuners when there was so little quad product to play. It was loud enough to blow up my dad's speakers and had better fidelity than the components i plugged into it [[a sanyo cassette deck and a 10-band realistic graphic equalizer).

Don't laugh; i was never an audiophile, just a music fan...
    hey jerry,that thing is beautiful,i'm getting misty over here.

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    hey jerry,that thing is beautiful,i'm getting misty over here.
    Much nicer than the generic black components from the 80s and 90s!

Thanks for the advice. But still living at home as a young adult back then, I seldom played it very loud. The speakers went out because they were super generic and quite old. Pops bought his first receiver and speakers off the back of a truck and they were cheap enough that the woofers blew with just a little juice. It was a good enough excuse for me to buy some JBLs that were better for the stereo's sound at the volume that I played.

Thanks for the advice. But still living at home as a young adult back then, I seldom played it very loud. The speakers went out because they were super generic and quite old. Pops bought his first receiver and speakers off the back of a truck and they were cheap enough that the woofers blew with just a little juice. It was a good enough excuse for me to buy some JBLs that were better for the stereo's sound at the volume that I played.
    Ha! He actually bought them from a "white van" [[as it's generally called)??? They are usually knock-offs not worth a damn in either quality or sound. Never do that!

Yeah, it more than served the purpose. Remember when you could knock on a neighbor's door to ask them to turn the music down if it was too loud without being shot? When did talking to people without kissing their butts about your concerns become disrespectful?

Yeah, it more than served the purpose. Remember when you could knock on a neighbor's door to ask them to turn the music down if it was too loud without being shot? When did talking to people without kissing their butts about your concerns become disrespectful?
    I had that problem with this Puerto Rican chick [[yeah I said chick! LOL!) that lived downstairs from me. I did not play my stereo for nearly 4 years to avoid committing a homicide. LOL!!!
    Last edited by marv2; 09-21-2015 at 11:25 PM.

I don't know man,but at some point it all went to hell...remember when you could compliment a lady on her appearance without her sueing you for sexual harrassment?

I don't know man,but at some point it all went to hell...remember when you could compliment a lady on her appearance without her sueing you for sexual harrassment?
    Or treated a woman in public special without being considered a male chauvinist or having ulterior motives..................

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Or treated a woman in public special without being considered a male chauvinist or having ulterior motives..................
Views: 653
    Out of force of habit, I still hold doors opened for women, and often I get lectured that these women are not helpless. And with some, if you DON'T do it, you get scolded. You can't win!

And, they appreciated it, too! Now you can get fired and be forced to register as a sex offender!

Hey marv,i was just over in the motown section[the freda payne post]and was crackin up...i started to invite em all down to[greasy grady's]for dinner...that'll loosen em up literally,heheheheheheheehehe!!!

Hey marv,i was just over in the motown section[the freda payne post]and was crackin up...i started to invite em all down to[greasy grady's]for dinner...that'll loosen em up literally,heheheheheheheehehe!!!
    They need loosing up! LOL! You cannot say anything good about any singer except Diana Ross because is [[to them) the greatest God ever created LOL!!! Give me Freda any day!

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    They need loosing up! LOL! You cannot say anything good about any singer except Diana Ross because is [[to them) the greatest God ever created LOL!!! Give me Freda any day!
    Aw shit! You just had to mention the name of DR! Now, they're gonna come in and ruin this thread too! Damn! They detect this stuff like roaches!

Here's one that if you are over 40 yrs old you should remember:

This one is like a companion commercial to the Hai Karate ones LOL! I know you guys remember this product. [[Madison Ave. was cheesy in those days.)

aw shit! You just had to mention the name of dr! Now, they're gonna come in and ruin this thread too! Damn! They detect this stuff like roaches!
    haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa,hey soulster,i got greasy grady standin out front with sandwiches,no [dr]fan in thier right mind will get dare come over here without a certificate from the state health board.

Aw shit! You just had to mention the name of DR! Now, they're gonna come in and ruin this thread too! Damn! They detect this stuff like roaches!
    Oh right! I am very sorry Soulster man. I will try hard not to let that happen again. LOL!

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa...meth you're a hoot.

Remember the old Hai Karate commercials? Can't sell cologne by having a man beat up women anymore. But that's probably a good thing...

Remember the old Hai Karate commercials? Can't sell cologne by having a man beat up women anymore. But that's probably a good thing...

My favorite Hai Karate commercial was the one of the diving out of the plane and the women parachuting right behind him LOL

Views: 657
    What about the commercial in which a French Foreign Legionnaire says to his colleague [[in a French accented English), "You left your family defenceless??? !!! Get off my sand dune!!!" I don't even remember the product. Was it an antiperspirent?

Yeah, but ol' Iron Eyes wasn't actually a Native American. He was actually Oscar de Corti, the son of Italian immigrants. He moved to Hollywood back when cowboy movies became popular and changed his identity, much like Rachel Dolezal recently did when she became "Black". Iron Eyes' story is truly interesting. If you want to read it, I provided a link.

http://priceonomics.com/the-true-sto...crying-indian/

Jerry you da man,i remember reading that to back in the day,but had forgotten it.

Remember when you could have an accident and no one would end up getting sued?

Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    Remember when you could have an accident and no one would end up getting sued?
    Yeah, before 1977.

Remember when men wore hats year round?

Attachment 10110

Attachment 10111

Attachment 10112

Remember when you would[cut]church and hang out with your buddies and spend that dime your mom gave you to put in the basket.hehehehehe?

Remember when you would[cut]church and hang out with your buddies and spend that dime your mom gave you to put in the basket.hehehehehe?
    I remember spending it in the basement of the church on cupcakes and other sweets. My Dad tore me up when he'd find out! LOL!

Remember when arr&bee spelled his name "arrr&bee"?

Historians point out that he had considered going with " arrr&beee" at one time but decided it was just too Dionne "Warwicke".

Quote Originally Posted by methuselah2 View Post
    remember when arr&bee spelled his name "arrr&bee"?

Historians point out that he had considered going with " arrr&beee" at one time but decided it was just too dionne "warwicke".
    back when i was sober i was gonna spell it...our ann b.

Umm marv,we put our dimes together and bought something a little stronger,hehehehehe!!!

Umm marv,we put our dimes together and bought something a little stronger,hehehehehe!!!
    Uh huh , yeah see because you guys were bad boys! LOL!

Remember when our parents would put us in front of the tv and actually leave the room?

Does anybody remember galoshes? My mom would wrap my shoes in newspaper [[for some reason; never found out why) and then take five minutes to manipulate my feet into my galoshes. It only took me ten seconds to do it myself when it was the end of the school day [[minus the newpaper).

Remember when our bible toting grandmothers thought that the[bikini]was the end of decency?

Remember when our bible toting grandmothers thought that the[bikini]was the end of decency?
    Both of my grandmothers had passed on long before I was born, but I am 100% sure that neither one of them were bible-thumpers. One was a schoolteacher, though.

Does anybody remember galoshes? My mom would wrap my shoes in newspaper [[for some reason; never found out why) and then take five minutes to manipulate my feet into my galoshes. It only took me ten seconds to do it myself when it was the end of the school day [[minus the newpaper).

We wore those as kids in the 60s. By the early 70s we wore steel toed brogues or combat boots LOL

Haaaaaaaaaaaaa...jerry i think i still have a pair somewhere.

And the girls who were considered "fast"?