[REMOVE ADS]

Page 48 of 77 FirstFirst ... 38 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 58 ... LastLast
Results 2,351 to 2,400 of 3827

Thread: Remember when?

Quote Originally Posted by lakeside View Post
    This happened a couple of years ago. I was walking my dog past a school bus stop and a mother was waiting for her kid. This 9-10 year old girl got off the bus [[with cell phone in hand) and told her mother she was going somewhere else. The mother told her she needed to come home. The kid became argumentative and finally told the mother "fuck you bitch, I'm going" and stormed off down the street by herself. The mother just shrugged her shoulders and went on her way. OMG...I'd have that little
    snot by the hair. It'd be Sweet Jesus time!
    Wow! I cannot imagine that, but I do know this. The little girl would be lying out flat on that sidewalk screaming and crying while my mother was dragging her by one arm and still swatting her butt as she took her home!

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    Things were so different. Am I the only one who used to fight with my best friend at least once a year in elementary school? I don't even remember why we fought but we were always closer after it. That stopped in junior high school, though. Kids in junior high auditioned for bigger kids' respect and the fights were for keeps. I only got into one fight after sixth grade, which was good for a little guy. I think my brother, who was two years older, was intimidating enough for my peers to leave me alone and by the time he moved on to high school, I was friends with almost everybody. That was good because we had some tough characters in my junior high class and the toughest had brothers and they had no problems ganging up on somebody.
    I never fought with any of my best friends and I had a bunch of best friends. I would fight the kid that would maybe be bullying them or trying to bully me. I have been involved in "instigated" fights. These were fights one kid would start between two other kids by lying and exaggerating about something. The actual fight would draw a crowd and it was like entertainment. LOL! My brother Robert is 2 years older than me and it seemed like he and ALL the kids in his group, class or grade were just tough! I mean they were cool, acted mature but they all seem to have tempers and would kick your butt all over town if you started something. LOL! I really noticed it as I got older. After everyone got to high school, no one that came from other Jr. Highs would mess with them about anything. LOL!!!

The instigated fight was something to behold. I'll never forget the chest bumps where you knew both kids were scared to throw the first punch but neither was willing to back down. Kids would surround them, three or four rows deep so by then, they had to fight. Then there was the little punk who would put a pencil on one of the kids' shoulder and tell him "If he knocks this off your shoulder, he's talking about your mama!" Sometimes the kid would knock it off and they'd go for it. Sometimes he wouldn't, so the little rat bastard that put the pencil on his shoulder would knock it off himself and shout "He's talking about your mama!" and they'd bang. Kids are so stupid.

These are indeed different times,and sad and as someone stated these[so-called]parents will cuss you out after their kids do,the old folks would turn over in their graves,as for fighting your best friend as a kid i mom told me to fight back or fight her...i beat my best friend's ass and we were never closer after that day..it just pisses me off to no end the disrespect that is shown to the elders today,i often tell my kids that if my dear mother were alive today...if she told me to do something i do it no question,we live in a world gone mad and getting worst.

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    These are indeed different times,and sad and as someone stated these[so-called]parents will cuss you out after their kids do,the old folks would turn over in their graves,as for fighting your best friend as a kid i mom told me to fight back or fight her...i beat my best friend's ass and we were never closer after that day..it just pisses me off to no end the disrespect that is shown to the elders today,i often tell my kids that if my dear mother were alive today...if she told me to do something i do it no question,we live in a world gone mad and getting worst.
    "we live in a world gone mad and getting worse"

Indeed we do...sad and scary!

I wonder if I will say the same things about the world when I'm older........
    Last edited by TomatoTom123; 06-18-2018 at 07:10 PM.

The instigated fight was something to behold. I'll never forget the chest bumps where you knew both kids were scared to throw the first punch but neither was willing to back down. Kids would surround them, three or four rows deep so by then, they had to fight. Then there was the little punk who would put a pencil on one of the kids' shoulder and tell him "If he knocks this off your shoulder, he's talking about your mama!" Sometimes the kid would knock it off and they'd go for it. Sometimes he wouldn't, so the little rat bastard that put the pencil on his shoulder would knock it off himself and shout "He's talking about your mama!" and they'd bang. Kids are so stupid.
    Yep! That's it, you got it. If it wasn't a pencil, it was a stick, a rock or even an eraser if they were going to do it in class [[which was rare). True, the two kids that didn't really have a beef with one another got egged on by the instigator and the crowd. Yes, kids were stupid then, but we would never even think of pulling a gun on one of our classmates or coming to the school to shoot it up! We were kids in the truest sense of the word!

JAI it is rather sad and these are indeed different times. I can remember coaching co-workers about if they were driving through a residential neighborhood or even a commercial area and one or two kids walk in front of your car, I mean really taking their time about it, do not say anything to them. That was sign that one of them or both had guns! Just let them pass ,but don't yell at them.

My father made it clear to us that if someone started a fight with you, that you had to finish it. He did not want any of us coming home crying about some kid beating us up. He wanted you beat that kid's ass for even starting something LOL! All my friends liked my parents, because they were nice to every kid they met from my school or block, but they always wanted you to stick up for yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by lakeside View Post
    "we live in a world gone mad and getting worse"

Indeed we do...sad and scary!
    It's gotten so out of hand, that I don't even know where to start to try to make it even a little better. I do things in my own little way.....but we have a BIG Problem we are all living in now.

Honestly, if somebody shot up my high school and killed a friend, it would have screwed me up so bad, it would have been hard to recover. For all of the flack the Parkland kids are taking from the right, they have my respect. The media is trying to ignore them as we close in on the midterm elections.

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    I wonder if I will say the same things about the world when I'm older........
    Do not assume there will be a World for you to get older in! LOL! I am not old, trust me,but this is not my Granddaddy's World anymore. Whatever I say about current conditions in this World are true and accurate. It is easy to compare the number of mass school shootings say in 1970 vs 2018 and you'll understand right away. There were no mass school shootings anywhere in 1970. That's just one example of how things have changed.

Honestly, if somebody shot up my high school and killed a friend, it would have screwed me up so bad, it would have been hard to recover. For all of the flack the Parkland kids are taking from the right, they have my respect. The media is trying to ignore them as we close in on the midterm elections.
    Screwed me up? I would have been done! I could barely take the one or two teachers I knew that died of natural causes while I was in school. A shooting would have had a very negative effect on me at that age. I would wonder what was the point of going to school and working hard. People that label themselves "Right", "Left" begin to loose their personal identities in favor of "Group Think". There is no way in Hell that I would not want to change things after all of these kids that have been murdered in schools just because I'm on "the Right" GTFO of here! That's my attitude.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Screwed me up? I would have been done! I could barely take the one or two teachers I knew that died of natural causes while I was in school. A shooting would have had a very negative effect on me at that age. I would wonder what was the point of going to school and working hard. People that label themselves "Right", "Left" begin to loose their personal identities in favor of "Group Think". There is no way in Hell that I would not want to change things after all of these kids that have been murdered in schools just because I'm on "the Right" GTFO of here! That's my attitude.
    Mine too. Never thought I would see the day when separating kids from parents to force members of an opposing party to fund an unpopular and unnecessary project is acceptable in American politics. We used to bomb countries like us. And many are justifying it on party lines. Good googly moogly. It's going to get worse.

Oh, and about the kids, the World Health Organization has officially diagnosed video game addiction to be real. I knew it was shortly after "Space Invaders" came out. Kids don't stand a chance if parents don't refuse to use PlayStation as a baby sitter.

Yep i saw that too,crazy stuff as a kid we watched alot of tv sure,but we played outside most of the time and you guys are the same as me it took damn near a hurricane or tornado to get us indoors[hehe]and as stated we fought with our fist and a school shooting??? The worst thing to happen back in the day was a girl getting kidnapped and it haunts me til this day.

Yep i saw that too,crazy stuff as a kid we watched alot of tv sure,but we played outside most of the time and you guys are the same as me it took damn near a hurricane or tornado to get us indoors[hehe]and as stated we fought with our fist and a school shooting??? The worst thing to happen back in the day was a girl getting kidnapped and it haunts me til this day.
    The only advice kids got from their parents to get them through the day were"
    Always cross at the corner and look both ways", along with "never take candy from a stranger". Oh and "always wear clean underwear". LOL!

Man, I remember walking three blocks to go to elementary school. The last two years, by myself. And then, a mile to junior high and two miles to high school. Not quite far enough for the school bus that my friends caught two blocks to the east of my home. I wonder if parents let their kids walk to school in 2018? Thank God for the day that I finally got my drivers license [[on the third try). LOL.

Man, I remember walking three blocks to go to elementary school. The last two years, by myself. And then, a mile to junior high and two miles to high school. Not quite far enough for the school bus that my friends caught two blocks to the east of my home. I wonder if parents let their kids walk to school in 2018? Thank God for the day that I finally got my drivers license [[on the third try). LOL.
    The same elementary school that my brother and I walked 3.5 miles to [[back and forth 4 times a day) in the sixties, my mother refused to have my nephew walk 3 blocks to in the 00s!

I remember we could walk through the alleys in our hoods,any time day or night no trash or glass on the ground and well lit...i wouldn't send my dog through any of those alleys today!

I remember we could walk through the alleys in our hoods,any time day or night no trash or glass on the ground and well lit...i wouldn't send my dog through any of those alleys today!
    I don't even go through alleys in New York City now and I am a grown man. LOL!

Who remembers the[jesus clock]from the early sixties,many moms had em,with pictures of jesus with a clock in the middle and a little light at the top,mostly sold by door to door salesmen.

Who remembers the[jesus clock]from the early sixties,many moms had em,with pictures of jesus with a clock in the middle and a little light at the top,mostly sold by door to door salesmen.
    I remember my grandma's cousin had a picture like that. I can't remember if it was a clock or not, but it did have the little light at the top. Do you remember the black velvet tapestries?

LOL. I recently hooked up with a woman on Facebook who used to work for me. She forwarded a meme with Ewan McGregor as Obi-Wan Kenobi [[from "Star Wars") on it, thinking it was supposed to be Jesus. I almost fell out of my seat laughing. My uncle told me that he once had to let my Grandma know that the picture that she thought was Jesus was actually John Derrick.

You know the most well known image of Jesus Christ is actually Cesare Borgia, the son of Pope Alexander VI.

Attachment 14344

??! Not like this guy, who reflects what Jews actually looked like ~2,000 years ago? Shocked! I am shocked, I say!

??! Not like this guy, who reflects what Jews actually looked like ~2,000 years ago? Shocked! I am shocked, I say!

When I first saw this painting a few years ago, I was shocked. Give him a modern haircut and he looked similar to a few of my relatives. When I saw this picture for the first time, they did not mention looking like Jewish men from 2,000 years ago. It was caption like based on scientific study that his is what Jesus Christ most likely looked like. The Bible describes him as having hair like wool and feet/skin the color of bronze.

In the spirit of "Remember When?," couldn't resist:

when i first saw this painting a few years ago, i was shocked. Give him a modern haircut and he looked similar to a few of my relatives. When i saw this picture for the first time, they did not mention looking like jewish men from 2,000 years ago. It was caption like based on scientific study that his is what jesus christ most likely looked like. The bible describes him as having hair like wool and feet/skin the color of bronze.
    that's ol maxie from round da way,he's been workin that[jesus]scam for years,hehehe!

that's ol maxie from round da way,he's been workin that[jesus]scam for years,hehehe!
    Oh, ok. I knew that cat looked familiar for some reason. LOL!

Yeah, Maxie doesn't look anything like Jesus. We all know what He looked like.

Yeah, Maxie doesn't look anything like Jesus. We all know what He looked like.
    Hey! That's Barry Gibb of the Bee Gees! LOL!!!

Hey! That's Barry Gibb of the Bee Gees! LOL!!!
    LOL. So many people who consider themselves Christian only find them capable of believing because they've been told that their Savior looked like a European, even though he lived in the Middle East. And I'm talking black and white people who feel that way. I'm a believer. But there's no way I'd presume to put a face on Christ. How would I know what He looked like? But that face is what gave slave owners their belief that owning black people was a divine right.

LOL. So many people who consider themselves Christian only find them capable of believing because they've been told that their Savior looked like a European, even though he lived in the Middle East. And I'm talking black and white people who feel that way. I'm a believer. But there's no way I'd presume to put a face on Christ. How would I know what He looked like? But that face is what gave slave owners their belief that owning black people was a divine right.
    The back story is how that happened is during the Crusades of the 14th Century when European Christians were at war with Muslims in what is now called the Middle East, the Holy Land. Pope Alexander VI [[Borgia), thought it would make more sense to have an image of Christ that looked more like the Crusaders, the Europeans because to his mind the Muslims looked more like how Christ really looked. Pope Alexander commissioned Leonardo Da Vinci to paint a portrait of Christ using his son Cesare Borgia as the model.

See? I learn things on SDF all the time.

See? I learn things on SDF all the time.
    So do I. Not all of it is good or useful, but here in the clubhouse, I really do learn some things from you guys. Thanks.

Oh boy,you guys have done it now...duufus just bought a blond wig,found sandals from somewhere and he's walking around talking bout-he's gee uss from nasalruss and he's looking for[12]desimples to follow him or he'll follow them to the fish market for the mutt surmum!!

" gee uss", "nasalruss","desimples", "mutt surmum" JAI , you know you ain't right! LOL!!!!! oh LOL!!!!
    Last edited by marv2; 06-26-2018 at 08:30 PM.

I'm surprised he didn't paint his face to look like a turd, spray it with an orange tan and put a starched mop on his head and run for president. I'm sure there are Deplorables in da hood.

I'm surprised he didn't paint his face to look like a turd, spray it with an orange tan and put a starched mop on his head and run for president. I'm sure there are Deplorables in da hood.
    It's a mess now, isn't it?

I live everyday feeling like there's a cloud over my head. That old lady calling that guy in California a rapist and an animal yesterday pushed me closer to the edge. I already know that I'm going to be arrested or dead if I witness a Deplorable screaming at an Hispanic, African, Asian or Muslim.

I live everyday feeling like there's a cloud over my head. That old lady calling that guy in California a rapist and an animal yesterday pushed me closer to the edge. I already know that I'm going to be arrested or dead if I witness a Deplorable screaming at an Hispanic, African, Asian or Muslim.
    I hear you Jerry. You know I was actually feeling good, then I heard about the murder of the innocent 15 year old kid in the Bronx, Junior. This did me completely in. They butched this kid and he hadn't done anything wrong:

This is video of the actual murder. It is very tough to watch. There is other video of when Junior goes back into the Bodega for help and they refuse to help him and tell him to get out:

Yeah, I saw that. Now eight lives are gone, the kid and seven gang bangers. So glad I was never into that life. My sympathies go out to that family who should not have to mourn over that stupidity.

Yeah, I saw that. Now eight lives are gone, the kid and seven gang bangers. So glad I was never into that life. My sympathies go out to that family who should not have to mourn over that stupidity.
    I can't even begin to imagine what his parents are going through. Junior, the murder victim was not involved in any gangs, he was actually in a junior police cadet organization. They mistook him for some other guy that posted a sex video of one of the gang members relatives. All of those guys with machetes and knives just massacred that kid like that. This all messed with my head the more I learned about what happened. I use to go up to the Bronx at least once a week.

It reminds me of at least two different stories I've read from the other side of the country where kids who had their heads on straight and by all means, a bright future, were approached by bangers who asked "Yo Homie, where you from?" That question is street lingo for "What gang are you in?" In both cases, the kid was shot dead where he stood. One was an honors student and the other was a football star at his high school who was being recruited by major universities. Both only needed time to grow up and they could escaped their communities have made a difference in this world. I'll bet their parents still can't sleep for being afraid to wake up each day.

It reminds me of at least two different stories I've read from the other side of the country where kids who had their heads on straight and by all means, a bright future, were approached by bangers who asked "Yo Homie, where you from?" That question is street lingo for "What gang are you in?" In both cases, the kid was shot dead where he stood. One was an honors student and the other was a football star at his high school who was being recruited by major universities. Both only needed time to grow up and they could escaped their communities have made a difference in this world. I'll bet their parents still can't sleep for being afraid to wake up each day.
    " only needed time to grow up ......." This was never even a thought when I was growing up.

Yeah,this stuff is getting more insane by the day,the worst that would've happened in the day was getting your butt kicked if you went into the wrong hood,hell even gang members wouldn't kill you for that,i can remember being warned to stay out of certain places back then,a society gone mad is what we have now.

a society gone mad is what we have now.
    Unfortunately it's not specific to the U.S.A., even if you have a few years of advance on us [[the European).

From the very beginning America was built on violence, lies and GREED.

For those who want to know another side of their country's history there's an excellent book written by Howard Zinn : "A People's History Of The United States" : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Peop..._United_States

Highly recommended !

Remember when you could-pick something from your grandma's garden and eat it or just climb a fruit tree and pluck an-apple,pear,peach and just wipe it off an go on playing?

Remember when you could-pick something from your grandma's garden and eat it or just climb a fruit tree and pluck an-apple,pear,peach and just wipe it off an go on playing?
    Oh how well I remember. My grandmother had a huge garden and much of it ended up on the dinner table. We had a cherry tree in our backyard and we also climb it and picked them along with kids on the block. When we would drop something on the ground like candy, ice cream, gum. We would just pick it up and go "Stomp the devil, kiss to God" and ate it! LOL!!!