[REMOVE ADS]

Page 47 of 77 FirstFirst ... 37 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 57 ... LastLast
Results 2,301 to 2,350 of 3827

Thread: Remember when?

Wow marv,you and jerry actually studied!!! I always thought that studying was a myth!

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    Wow marv,you and jerry actually studied!!! I always thought that studying was a myth!
    JAI........uh yeah! LOL!!!! It was not always fun, but I studied, sometimes while on breaks at my jobs.

Yeah, me too. Too bad I didn't study at 20 like I did at 45 or I'd be typing this from the deck of my yacht instead of from under a refrigerator box.

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 414
Size:  21.1 KB
    Not only is studying NOT a guarantee of monetary success. Even obtaining advanced university degrees is no guarantee. Thousands of people with advanced degrees, who studied hard, are working in menial jobs, or not even working. I've met hundreds [[if not thousands) myself [[in hobo villages and homeless shelters, and debtors' prisons.
    Last edited by robb_k; 04-26-2018 at 01:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
Views: 414
    Not only is studying NOT a guarantee of monetary success. Even obtaining advanced university degrees is no guarantee. Thousands of people with advanced degrees, who studied hard, are working in menial jobs, or not even working. I've met hundreds [[if not thousands) myself [[in hobo villages and homeless shelters, and debtors' prisons.
    I hear you and combine that with the massive debt these kids run up today just to get through college, it does seemed like the system is rigged.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I hear you and combine that with the massive debt these kids run up today just to get through college, it does seemed like the system is rigged.
    Rigged? Betsy and the Fat Boy are changing rules so that student loans have to be paid in full in a much shorter term and will not be as easily deferred. People will go bankrupt even though federal loans are not permitted to be discharged. That means that a lot fewer people will even apply for loans and college will be much harder for the working class to attend. They're rigging it big time.

And today, Ben Carson proposed raising rents by $100 per month for people who receive federal assistance. So, the tax cut will save people at the bottom $5 per month on average but their rent will increase by $100. Completely rigged.

Views: 411
    They are also sabotaging the public school systems, to force privitisation of all US free public schooling, to bring back an elitist education system, in which only the rich can get an adequate education, and USA will have a gigantic underclass of uneducated people, who won't be able to read or write, or know what to do to demand their rights, or to even know what their few rights are. They want a system like that of the Kingdoms and dictatorships that immigrants from all over The World fled from, to come to USA, where they could get a low cost education to improve their lot in life. Does anyone really think that the education "vouchers" the poor will receive will be enough money to get their children adequate education from private, for profit, run schools?
    Last edited by robb_k; 04-26-2018 at 09:31 AM.

Views: 411
    They are also sabotaging the public school systems, to force privitisation of all US free public schooling, to bring back an elitist education system, in which only the rich can get an adequate education, and USA will have a gigantic underclass of uneducated people, who won't be able to read or write, or know what to do to demand their rights, or to even know what their few rights are. They want a system like that of the Kingdoms and dictatorships that immigrants from all over The World fled from, to come to USA, where they could get a low cost education to improve their lot in life. Does anyone really think that the education "vouchers" the poor will receive will be enough money to get their children adequate education from private, for profit, run schools?
    Robb.......you are making some great points! These are things that I have been suspicious of for a very long time. I have not really discuss this issue when anyone, but I see or have a feeling that we are heading towards that type of system Serfs [[the 99%) and Lords [[The 1%)!

Quote Originally Posted by jerry oz View Post
    yeah, me too. Too bad i didn't study at 20 like i did at 45 or i'd be typing this from the deck of my yacht instead of from under a refrigerator box.
    you have a refrigerator box?? Wow i wish i could afford one of those!!!

hehehehehehehehe......!

It took a while, but I finally saved enough for the down payment. The kids all seem to like it, but I could do with a little more space. This is what came out of it:

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    It took a while, but I finally saved enough for the down payment. The kids all seem to like it, but I could do with a little more space. This is what came out of it:
    Jerry, my parents have one similar in their master bedroom once they got older. Very convenient.

Robb.......you are making some great points! These are things that I have been suspicious of for a very long time. I have not really discuss this issue when anyone, but I see or have a feeling that we are heading towards that type of system Serfs [[the 99%) and Lords [[The 1%)!
    That is why I think the right-wing politicians over here in the UK were so keen on Brexit. Workers will lose the benefits of EU employment laws, the objective being the creation of a cheap labour force of second-class citizens.

Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    That is why I think the right-wing politicians over here in the UK were so keen on Brexit. Workers will lose the benefits of EU employment laws, the objective being the creation of a cheap labour force of second-class citizens.
    That way will not need to accept many migrant workers and immigrants.

That way will not need to accept many migrant workers and immigrants.
    If you connect the dots, you'll see that the long game is for people on public assistance to do the work that immigrants will be abandoning if they're kicked out. No American citizen will pick oranges or tomatoes for $3/hour and to pay minimum wage for farm labor will destroy the economy. Even conservatives know that the off-the-books cost of employing immigrants is the largest reason why we're not paying $5 for a head of lettuce or $8 per pound for tomatoes. They're planning to deplete funding for entitlements and require people to do the work that people least want to do for a fraction of standard labor rates. Watch.

If you connect the dots, you'll see that the long game is for people on public assistance to do the work that immigrants will be abandoning if they're kicked out. No American citizen will pick oranges or tomatoes for $3/hour and to pay minimum wage for farm labor will destroy the economy. Even conservatives know that the off-the-books cost of employing immigrants is the largest reason why we're not paying $5 for a head of lettuce or $8 per pound for tomatoes. They're planning to deplete funding for entitlements and require people to do the work that people least want to do for a fraction of standard labor rates. Watch.
    That is exactly what is intended. Almost every restaurant in New York have immigrants working in the kitchens and in many cases serving. I have seen abuses too. There is a guy that manufactures boat canvasses. In the dead of Winter I went into his business and saw a warehouse full of non English speaking, mostly Latino immigrants working in their coats and gloves at sewing machines. The owner would not provide them with HEAT!

That is exactly what is intended. Almost every restaurant in New York have immigrants working in the kitchens and in many cases serving. I have seen abuses too. There is a guy that manufactures boat canvasses. In the dead of Winter I went into his business and saw a warehouse full of non English speaking, mostly Latino immigrants working in their coats and gloves at sewing machines. The owner would not provide them with HEAT!
Views: 426
    USA is far along the road to becoming a 3rd World country. I just hope that when the bloody revolution starts, your leaders don't abandon the place and go north and attack Canada, trying to take it over. It's still a very good place compared to most of the rest of The Earth, and I don't want it ruined.

USA is far along the road to becoming a 3rd World country. I just hope that when the bloody revolution starts, your leaders don't abandon the place and go north and attack Canada, trying to take it over. It's still a very good place compared to most of the rest of The Earth, and I don't want it ruined.
    This is more than true. How in the world is it that a state as high tech and university-laden as Ohio has an infant mortality rate that is on par with third world nations? No country spends more on health care with as poor results. The whole nation is set up on grift, where the idea is to make money by finding solutions to problems and withholding them unless the people who need them the most find some way to pay for them.

For example, pharmaceutical countries based here charge two or three times the prices for drugs than they charge EU nations. Teachers are striking all over the country because they're using tattered 20 year old text books and earning essentially the salary they earned at the beginning of the decade.

And yet, the Moron and his deplorable cronies managed to take money from the middle and lower class to give even more to the wealthy. We earned this mess by being such a divided and hate-filled nation.

This is more than true. How in the world is it that a state as high tech and university-laden as Ohio has an infant mortality rate that is on par with third world nations? No country spends more on health care with as poor results. The whole nation is set up on grift, where the idea is to make money by finding solutions to problems and withholding them unless the people who need them the most find some way to pay for them.

For example, pharmaceutical countries based here charge two or three times the prices for drugs than they charge EU nations. Teachers are striking all over the country because they're using tattered 20 year old text books and earning essentially the salary they earned at the beginning of the decade.

And yet, the Moron and his deplorable cronies managed to take money from the middle and lower class to give even more to the wealthy. We earned this mess by being such a divided and hate-filled nation.
Views: 370
    Any given health service [[operation, etc.) costs, on average, SIX times as much in USA than in The Netherlands. And in The Netherlands, no necessary operations or care actions are delayed due to long lines. In USA breakthroughs and cures for deadly diseases are delayed as long as possible, to gather as much in profits as possible, before people who need them can get access to them. Providers want bottom lines to stockholders to be greater, and can get that by sabotaging efforts to fund research to find cures to deadly diseases. The bulk of the population has to suffer, and see their family members die younger so that the very rich elite can enjoy yet more profits, and extra money that represents only different numbers, as that additional income is so much money above what anyone can actually can actually enjoy spending, that it is essentially meaningless.

Don't forget. At least they're offering Food Boxes to everyone...that qualifies that is. LOL!

Don't forget. At least they're offering Food Boxes to everyone...that qualifies that is. LOL!
Views: 350
    Yes. But those food boxes are probably filled with unhealthy processed foods and empty calories, filled with preservatives, sugar and salt, similar to the poison posing as food that is what the big food corporations Make available to the masses in USA, and now, also the rest of The World [[which not only line the pockets of the major food industry stockholders, but also those in the health care industry [[and, eventually, the undertakers).

Views: 370
    Any given health service [[operation, etc.) costs, on average, SIX times as much in USA than in The Netherlands. And in The Netherlands, no necessary operations or care actions are delayed due to long lines. In USA breakthroughs and cures for deadly diseases are delayed as long as possible, to gather as much in profits as possible, before people who need them can get access to them. Providers want bottom lines to stockholders to be greater, and can get that by sabotaging efforts to fund research to find cures to deadly diseases. The bulk of the population has to suffer, and see their family members die younger so that the very rich elite can enjoy yet more profits, and extra money that represents only different numbers, as that additional income is so much money above what anyone can actually can actually enjoy spending, that it is essentially meaningless.
    I don't see why more U.S. doctors don't relocate and set up practices in Canada. I know the Northern communities could really use more physicians.

Not only are our basic healthcare costs considerably higher than in other countries, our medications are extremely expensive compared to Canada. Without insurance in the U.S. you can forget it! The Republicans wanted to completely get rid of Obamacare. They just cannot sleep at night knowing that everyone else has food, water and shelter, let alone healthcare!
    Last edited by marv2; 04-28-2018 at 08:34 PM. Reason: typing too fast as usual.

Yes. But those food boxes are probably filled with unhealthy processed foods and empty calories, filled with preservatives, sugar and salt, similar to the poison posing as food that is what the big food corporations Make available to the masses in USA, and now, also the rest of The World [[which not only line the pockets of the major food industry stockholders, but also those in the health care industry [[and, eventually, the undertakers).
    Plenty of salt/sodium to preserve the food until the next month. I saw one of these boxes that they have already started to deliver in a Youtube video. The woman who received it show some of the contents which include, instant mashed potatoes, a frozen package of pork ribs, cans of beans and corn. Oh and this big, dried piece of dough that was suppose to be a biscuit!

Tax cuts for the wealthy and corporations.........Food Boxes for everyone else!

Which is why there are many [[including me) who remain skeptical that cures for cancer, Alzheimers, ALS, Parkinson's and MS will never come in our lifetimes. Too much money to be made treating it, so there's no upside or money to be made for a healthcare company to cure it. Diabetes and high blood pressure, too. There's a reason why an apple costs close to a buck while they place candy bars and chips by the sales counters in grocery stores for much lower prices. I look at the high number of morbidly obese people on the streets at times and cringe. I'm probably 15 pounds overweight myself and have no weight-related health problems, but seeing people who are easily 100 or more pounds overweight in most places that I look is unsettling. Time for me to drop those 15 pounds...

Which is why there are many [[including me) who remain skeptical that cures for cancer, Alzheimers, ALS, Parkinson's and MS will never come in our lifetimes. Too much money to be made treating it, so there's no upside or money to be made for a healthcare company to cure it. Diabetes and high blood pressure, too. There's a reason why an apple costs close to a buck while they place candy bars and chips by the sales counters in grocery stores for much lower prices. I look at the high number of morbidly obese people on the streets at times and cringe. I'm probably 15 pounds overweight myself and have no weight-related health problems, but seeing people who are easily 100 or more pounds overweight in most places that I look is unsettling. Time for me to drop those 15 pounds...
    That gif is from one of my favorite shows, "Schitt's Creek". Eugene Levy and Catherine O'Hara! LOL!
    Last edited by marv2; 04-29-2018 at 11:55 AM. Reason: misspelled Catherine's name

I've heard of it but never seen it. I'm going to watch a couple of episodes in the next week.

That gif is from one of my favorite shows, "Schitt's Creek". Eugene Levy and Kathleen O'Sullivan. LOL!
Views: 333
    Canadians from Toronto's Second City Comedy Club, and SCTV [[Second City TV show). Where John Candy and so many other Canadian comics and comedic actors got their starts. My sister's daughter [[my niece) is also in a comedic repertoire group. Must run in the family. You may have seen my TV show.......

"Red Green"
    Last edited by robb_k; 04-29-2018 at 12:13 AM.

I've heard of it but never seen it. I'm going to watch a couple of episodes in the next week.
    It's been on for about 3 years now. It's broadcast on CBC which where I first saw it when I was home. Netflix now carries several seasons. Funny, laid back show.

Canadians from Toronto's Second City Comedy Club, and SCTV [[Second City TV show). Where John Candy and so many other Canadian comics and comedic actors got their starts. My sister's daughter [[my niece) is also in a comedic repertoire group. Must run in the family. You may have seen my TV show.......

"Red Green"
    That's right Robb! I started watching SCTV in 1979 and watched it almost every week all through college. There were times that SCTV was much funnier than SNL. I noticed some of the SCTV comedians ended up on SNL.

"Red Green"
    Ok, now what's up with the red and green suspenders? LOL!

That's Red Green. The show has been on for years. He comes on PBS in the US.

That's Red Green. The show has been on for years. He comes on PBS in the US.
    Oh! I never ever heard of the show before. Thanks.

usa is far along the road to becoming a 3rd world country. I just hope that when the bloody revolution starts, your leaders don't abandon the place and go north and attack canada, trying to take it over. It's still a very good place compared to most of the rest of the earth, and i don't want it ruined.
    hey robb,they tried that back in the[1700's]and got their asses kicked,i'm moving to canada when the sh..t hits the fan.

hey robb,they tried that back in the[1700's]and got their asses kicked,i'm moving to canada when the sh..t hits the fan.
    "When"? Don't you watch cable news? That smell that's been in the air since November 9, 2016 is the very sh_t of which you speak flying off the blades of the proverbial fan.

I'll either be there before or just after you. I have thought about moving to Ontario for years now.

No joke. My wife and I had that discussion about moving north. Except for my aging folks, I'm pretty sure we would have made plans already.

No joke. My wife and I had that discussion about moving north. Except for my aging folks, I'm pretty sure we would have made plans already.
    Well, take your time. I know you mean. I flew back and forth so much in my father's final year when he got really sick. I like the idea of Ontario, heck even Montreal, Qc.

Saturday Morning TV Memories 1964 - 1976 !!!

Views: 294
    I prefer Montreal to Toronto, and urban Ontario. I'd rather live in Quebec City than Toronto Metro Area. But, I took French rather than German or Russian, like most Winnipeggers did.

Views: 294
    I prefer Montreal to Toronto, and urban Ontario. I'd rather live in Quebec City than Toronto Metro Area. But, I took French rather than German or Russian, like most Winnipeggers did.
    Psst.......Can you keep a secret? I also prefer Montreal to Toronto.LOL! I have wanted to visit Quebec City for a long time and plan to do so.

Saturday Morning TV Memories 1964 - 1976 !!!

One of my favorite nights of the year was the Friday night when the networks previewed the new season's cartoons and Saturday morning shows. When I was in elementary school, I used to plan my weekends around what was coming on which channels. It's really too bad that cartoons fell by the wayside in favor of "educational" live action programming.

One of my favorite nights of the year was the Friday night when the networks previewed the new season's cartoons and Saturday morning shows. When I was in elementary school, I used to plan my weekends around what was coming on which channels. It's really too bad that cartoons fell by the wayside in favor of "educational" live action programming.
    Yep! Couldn't wait! Saturday mornings meant cereal and cartoons! It really is sad that they no longer make and show cartoons on Saturday mornings. It makes me think about the generations of children that grew up watching and enjoying cartoon programs [[me included). There were no school shootings or kids shooting kids period! I wonder what the overall effect of dropping these most funny and fantasy kids programs has had on the most recent generation of children. Kids are mean now a days!

You're right. They're too grown up way too soon. And if you try to correct one of them, the parents will take up for them, regardless of the situation. My calling your brat a brat for swinging a cat around by the tail doesn't make me the bad guy. Your willingness to laugh it off makes you a bad parent. We talked about it about 30 pages ago but there was a time when neighbors wanted neighbors to keep an eye on their kids and correct them if necessary. As long as they didn't put hands to them, at least.

You're right. They're too grown up way too soon. And if you try to correct one of them, the parents will take up for them, regardless of the situation. My calling your brat a brat for swinging a cat around by the tail doesn't make me the bad guy. Your willingness to laugh it off makes you a bad parent. We talked about it about 30 pages ago but there was a time when neighbors wanted neighbors to keep an eye on their kids and correct them if necessary. As long as they didn't put hands to them, at least.
    I grew up in the 60s and 70s. When I look back on those years now, it strikes me that it really was closer to "Mayberry", "Leave It to Beaver", "Cosby Show" with even a little of the "Brady Bunch" thrown in! I know that sounds weird and idyllic now, but I have to finally admit it was closer to that experience than anything children experience today including wealthy ones. I and everyone I knew came from a 2 parent household. The street I lived on was racially mixed. I went to a totally integrated elementary/Jr. High school [[as kids we never used those terms) we only knew other kids by their names, what sports and games we mutually enjoyed and whether their Dad was cool or not. [[everyone's mother was cool when I was growing up it seemed LOL!). Families went to church together, parks, cook outs, trick or treating....all the stuff they did on those now "square" TV family situation comedies. I was a cub scout, played Little League Baseball, a paperboy [[with a good route), school crossing guard, participated in school plays, sports, academic contests you name it. I don't see that kind of life anymore. Most people I know are divorced or living together or alone. There is nothing wrong with that, it is just so much different from when I was coming up.

Kids are smarter technology wise than we were because there is more technology for the consumer. Kids are also meaner and more mature than we were. For instance, if my older brother told me something I believed it, no questions asked! He use to make up impossible stories and I would just believe whatever he said. He also would make up stories in attempts to keep us out of trouble with our parents, but my father was just too smart and did not take any nonsense if we were bad. You cannot use corporal punishment anymore aka ass whippings, you cannot even raise your voice to your kid or in trouble. Don't even think about helping a kid that's not yours even if he or she fell down or whatever because everyone is worried about potential pedophiles etc now. Any of our neighbors could chastise us and send us home or take us home to our parents and vice versa with my parents. You cannot do that today. People don't even question their own kids about what they are up to or thinking. They give them I-Phones, computers etc and just leave them alone for many hours just as long as they are quiet. That is why you always see the parents of these school shooters claimed that they didn't have a clue about what their son was planning.

^Amen. I was in a McDonald’s a year ago when a young girl was sitting with her little sister. The older girl got exasperated with the little one and yelled, “SHUT THE FUCK UP!!!” at top volume. I just cast a glance at her; she goes in on me: “What the fuck you lookin’ at?” Being a grown-ass Georgia-born-and-bred son of a preacher, without hesitation I went OFF: “I’m looking at your filthy mouth! Don’t you EVER use that kind of language with an adult! Where’s your respect?!??” The mother shows up and asks me what she said. I tell her, then the mother, in protective mama-bear mode, goes in on me: “Don’t you speak to my child like that.” I read her her rights: “I respect that, but she needs to watch her language and respect her elders. It’s offensive!” She backs down a little and says, “Well, as a mother, I’m here.” And gently corrects the child at last.

These kids do nothing but navel-gaze into their devices all day and have no social skills of any kind. And the parents who co-sign their bad behavior should have THEIR asses whipped.

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    ^Amen. I was in a McDonald’s a year ago when a young girl was sitting with her little sister. The older girl got exasperated with the little one and yelled, “SHUT THE FUCK UP!!!” at top volume. I just cast a glance at her; she goes in on me: “What the fuck you lookin’ at?” Being a grown-ass Georgia-born-and-bred son of a preacher, without hesitation I went OFF: “I’m looking at your filthy mouth! Don’t you EVER use that kind of language with an adult! Where’s your respect?!??” The mother shows up and asks me what she said. I tell her, then the mother, in protective mama-bear mode, goes in on me: “Don’t you speak to my child like that.” I read her her rights: “I respect that, but she needs to watch her language and respect her elders. It’s offensive!” She backs down a little and says, “Well, as a mother, I’m here.” And gently corrects the child at last.

These kids do nothing but navel-gaze into their devices all day and have no social skills of any kind. And the parents who co-sign their bad behavior should have THEIR asses whipped.
    I will bet you 5 bucks that the girl learned that language from her mother! Her mother uses that type of language around her kids. I remember a plaque my own mother had on the wall when I was a kid and it said "Children learn what they live......".

They do not socialize with other children they way we did. They text and email instead of going outside and finding other kids to play with.

Some kids text while sitting across the table from each other. You can see a time coming when the only friends people have are those that they meet on line. Think about it: You can come clean about things on line that you would never tell someone in real life for fear of having to deal with their physical response. You also can read your reply ten times before you provide it, which keeps you from saying embarrassing things. And you can pretend to be someone that you're not. Those days are coming.

Some kids text while sitting across the table from each other. You can see a time coming when the only friends people have are those that they meet on line. Think about it: You can come clean about things on line that you would never tell someone in real life for fear of having to deal with their physical response. You also can read your reply ten times before you provide it, which keeps you from saying embarrassing things. And you can pretend to be someone that you're not. Those days are coming.
    That doesn't exactly help you think on your feet! We were smart enough as kids not to "agitate" big kids that were older and could hurt you. We made them our friends, that way we could sic them on other kids if they caused a problem LOL! I have two Grand Nephews 11 and 12 years old and they stay on there IPhones. When the one was younger ,he asked me to get him this $400 phone for Christmas. I was fat chance kid. LOL! They are very different from my brother and I. We were the type of kids that would go out and call over to kids we didn't even know to come and play. We would go outside of our neighborhood to meet new kids all the time which cause us another problem with our Dad. LOl! I believe that is why I have friends all over the country today because of how we were as kids.

Things were so different. Am I the only one who used to fight with my best friend at least once a year in elementary school? I don't even remember why we fought but we were always closer after it. That stopped in junior high school, though. Kids in junior high auditioned for bigger kids' respect and the fights were for keeps. I only got into one fight after sixth grade, which was good for a little guy. I think my brother, who was two years older, was intimidating enough for my peers to leave me alone and by the time he moved on to high school, I was friends with almost everybody. That was good because we had some tough characters in my junior high class and the toughest had brothers and they had no problems ganging up on somebody.

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post

This happened a couple of years ago. I was walking my dog past a school bus stop and a mother was waiting for her kid. This 9-10 year old girl got off the bus [[with cell phone in hand) and told her mother she was going somewhere else. The mother told her she needed to come home. The kid became argumentative and finally told the mother "fuck you bitch, I'm going" and stormed off down the street by herself. The mother just shrugged her shoulders and went on her way. OMG...I'd have that little
    snot by the hair. It'd be Sweet Jesus time!