[REMOVE ADS]

Page 47 of 73 FirstFirst ... 37 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 57 ... LastLast
Results 2,301 to 2,350 of 3827

Thread: Remember when?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

My Mom made one of these to take to a covered dish dinner [[remember those). She brought about 98% back home. It went in the trash and she never made one of those atrocities again! I think it was full of vegetables. I think they dumped all sorts of things in Jello back in the day. Ewwwww!

Lakeside, I have NEVER heard of a Jello mold with vegetables! LOL My mother use to make them, but it would be with Fruit Cocktail inside. hehehehehehehe!

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Lakeside, I have NEVER heard of a Jello mold with vegetables! LOL My mother use to make them, but it would be with Fruit Cocktail inside. hehehehehehehe!
    Let me tell you, Marv...my Mom was not the hit of that party! She also made Jello molds with fruit cocktail. I think she saw an ad/recipe in a magazine and thought she'd give this one a whirl and perhaps stand out. She stood out alright. I think she felt embarrassed, bless her heart. I think she became a little less adventurous after this
    fiasco.

Quote Originally Posted by lakeside View Post
    Let me tell you, Marv...my Mom was not the hit of that party! She also made Jello molds with fruit cocktail. I think she saw an ad/recipe in a magazine and thought she'd give this one a whirl and perhaps stand out. She stood out alright. I think she felt embarrassed, bless her heart. I think she became a little less adventurous after this
    fiasco.
    She was a real mom! God Bless her! Women, mothers in those days seem to all do the same things, read the same type magazines, watched the same soap operas, did their own cooking and laundry and a million other things to keep their families healthy and happy. They took pride in it. They worked very hard.

She was a real mom! God Bless her! Women, mothers in those days seem to all do the same things, read the same type magazines, watched the same soap operas, did their own cooking and laundry and a million other things to keep their families healthy and happy. They took pride in it. They worked very hard.
    And worked hard they did, Marv.

lakeside, i have never heard of a jello mold with vegetables! Lol my mother use to make them, but it would be with fruit cocktail inside. Hehehehehehehe!
    yep-yummmmmmeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!

Is anyone old enough to remember when Mom's, Aunt's and Grandma's wore apron's?
    The fancy ones came out on Sundays and holidays. I think those fancy, shear ones
    were more for looks.

The fancy ones came out on Sundays and holidays. I think those fancy, shear ones
    were more for looks.
    Yes, but it seemed everything stopped or changed in 1970 and definitely by 1974 LOL! I know for us it was 1970 when my mom got her job teaching. After that, we ate our share of fish sticks and tater tots! LOL!

Cool

were more for looks.

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 295
Size:  21.1 KB
    Yes, I remember aprons, and my grandmother had a washboard. And, no, I didn't know how to play it. I wasn't "Washboard Robb". But, I did try the harmonica.

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
    Yes, I remember aprons, and my grandmother had a washboard. And, no, I didn't know how to play it. I wasn't "Washboard Robb". But, I did try the harmonica.
    My granda had a washboard too. Never knew it could played as an instrument. LOL!

yes, i remember aprons, and my grandmother had a washboard. And, no, i didn't know how to play it. I wasn't "washboard robb". But, i did try the harmonica.
    haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa,robb,you're my hero!

My grandma also had a washboard. I still remember her washing machine that had the wringer on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    My grandma also had a washboard. I still remember her washing machine that had the wringer on it.
    Mine had one like that too

Remember your sisters or cousins[female of course-hehe]sitting in the kitchen getting their hair curled for church or something big,on a saturday night and the whole house smelling like that strong hair stuff[royal crown]that was used back then?

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    Remember your sisters or cousins[female of course-hehe]sitting in the kitchen getting their hair curled for church or something big,on a saturday night and the whole house smelling like that strong hair stuff[royal crown]that was used back then?
    Oh yeah the "hot comb" My mother and sister would be fighting for an hour before church. LOL!

That and those old hair dryers. I remember my sister and cousins with huge curlers in their hair, shouting at each other while a super loud hair dryer drowned out every sound in that level of the house.

Quote Originally Posted by jerry oz View Post
    that and those old hair dryers. I remember my sister and cousins with huge curlers in their hair, shouting at each other while a super loud hair dryer drowned out every sound in that level of the house.
    haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa,yep.

Remember these?

Attachment 14444

Remember these?

Attachment 14444
    Yeah, those, wax lips, and candy buttons were the simplest candies in the corner drug store. There was a guy named Pops who had a small convenience store at the end of my Grandma's street [[before there was a phrase "convenience store"). Pops had a Coca Cola cooler that kept soda ice cold. He was the first person that I ever met who refrigerated Reese's Cups by keeping them in the cooler with the pop. To this day, I prefer eating my 'Reesy Cups' cold over room temperature. As a kid, things like that stay with you forever.

That and those old hair dryers. I remember my sister and cousins with huge curlers in their hair, shouting at each other while a super loud hair dryer drowned out every sound in that level of the house.
    We had one of those in the basement in laundry area. My brother and I, didn't have much hair as little boys thanks to my father's barber. We turned it on and took turns seeing how long we could sit under it before it started to burn your scalp LOL!

YES! And those individual curlers that the girls and women left in the kitchen, smelling from those noxious fumes. And, yes, we had the round, top-opening washer with the ringers on top.

We had a permanent, 2 iron pole, wash line, with 4 wire lines, in our back yard. During summer, we used the four lines as a divider net, and played volleyball and badminton over it. It was located near the fence, and between the fence and the main area of the [[double-lot) backyard, so it wouldn't take away from the room for our almost regulation sized hockey rink. We had a wooden wall between, which acted as the rink's boards. So, both sides of the "volleyball court" were really narrow. It paid to be tall in both volleyball and badminton, to avoid needing to run backwards and crash into the wood walls.

As we shared the dual backyards, we had to share the washlines with my uncle and aunt's family. So we set the 2 poles far apart. So, we probably had one of the longest washlines in history. I wonder if The Guiness book of records existed in 1946?

Remember when mom would iron a ton of clothes and sprinkle water on em to get that sharp crease? I mean that clothes basket would be full.

Remember when mom would iron a ton of clothes and sprinkle water on em to get that sharp crease? I mean that clothes basket would be full.
    Yep, before she got a stream press iron. I was saying to Lakeside, that all mothers in those days pretty did the same thing. The reason I remember what "Lemon Fresh Pledge" is is because of my Mom. She use it on the furniture every week LOL!

They worked hard! Just think if you did all of the stuff they did in one week, you'd feel like you're ready for a hospital bed.

Does anybody remember getting a blowout back in the day? Like getting a conk, that lye burned like a MF but it made your 'fro pop. And I remember telling the barber that I needed an edge up. Back when I had enough hair to cut. I cut it myself now and I'm arguing with my wife about when it's time to start shaving it.

Quote Originally Posted by jerry oz View Post
    does anybody remember getting a blowout back in the day? Like getting a conk, that lye burned like a mf but it made your 'fro pop. And i remember telling the barber that i needed an edge up. Back when i had enough hair to cut. I cut it myself now and i'm arguing with my wife about when it's time to start shaving it.
    i put some[afro sheen]on my fro and it got as hard as cement,last time i ever used that crap.

i put some[afro sheen]on my fro and it got as hard as cement,last time i ever used that crap.
    LOL. No haircut was complete unless the barber took the paper from around your neck, shook out the cape and sprayed your hair with enough Afro Sheen to give you an asthma attack before using that foot jack to lower the seat. Looking back, going to the barber shop was almost a religious experience for me.

Views: 248
    I was old and wise by the time Afro Sheen came in. I used Dixie Peach pomade to straighten my hair so I could have a pompadour. I felt like my head was a few pounds heavier.

Views: 248
    i was old and wise by the time afro sheen came in. I used dixie peach pomade to straighten my hair so i could have a pompadour. I felt like my head was a few pounds heavier.
    wow now there's a name i haven't heard in awhile,robb do they still make dixie peach??

wow now there's a name i haven't heard in awhile,robb do they still make dixie peach??
    Dixie Peach is the stuff my grandmother them used. Remember Beaurgamont? It was blue

Name:  av-4.jpg
Views: 372
    It was still around in the 1990s. But, I don't think they make it any more, unless they use it to anchor bricks together!

I remember putting Vitalis in my hair in grade school. It made my hair feel like wire or steel wool LOL!

i remember putting vitalis in my hair in grade school. It made my hair feel like wire or steel wool lol!
    vitalis-haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa,marv you're crazier than me,that stuff wasn't made with[brothers] in mind-hehehehe!!!

vitalis-haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa,marv you're crazier than me,that stuff wasn't made with[brothers] in mind-hehehehe!!!
    Who knew! Where I went to college, all you could find was stuff like Vitalis, Bryl Creem, etc. My brother had to ship me black hair care products and Jet Magazine! LOL!!!!

Does anybody remember getting a blowout back in the day? Like getting a conk, that lye burned like a MF but it made your 'fro pop. And I remember telling the barber that I needed an edge up. Back when I had enough hair to cut. I cut it myself now and I'm arguing with my wife about when it's time to start shaving it.

Yep! I got a Blow Out in 1974 from Fez's Barber Shop in Toledo Ohio for my 8th Grade graduation. After that, I would just have girls braid/corn row my hair to make my Afro bigger, fuller. I grew an afro early this year and would only comb it out on weekends, but tame it for work LOL! All gone now, just a fade right now for summer.

I remember that the Doctors of Dunk at the University of Louisville started a huge stir by wearing their hair short in 1978. Every brother in my school would follow suit and cut his hair within a year. It blew my mind when I looked back and realized that their hair would be considered relatively long by 2018 standards.

This is me in the Spring of 1976. The hair would reach it's all time "size" a year later in 1977,before it gradually started to come down a bit so that by 1980 it was cut short and slicked back until I almost looked bald LOL!!!

Name:  Marvin Davis 1976 Toledo, Ohio.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  39.5 KB

LOL. You should have taken your friend out for lunch. He looks a little hungry in that picture.

My hair actually reached its all time length about 10 years ago when I let it go just to let it go. It was probably half an inch longer than yours in that photo. Sadly, I am thinning on top now and couldn't do it again even if I wanted to. I wear it about as close as I can cut it now without shaving it. I cut it every three weeks or so.

LOL. You should have taken your friend out for lunch. He looks a little hungry in that picture.

My hair actually reached its all time length about 10 years ago when I let it go just to let it go. It was probably half an inch longer than yours in that photo. Sadly, I am thinning on top now and couldn't do it again even if I wanted to. I wear it about as close as I can cut it now without shaving it. I cut it every three weeks or so.
    He was not allowed to leave the building! That guy was the property of Mrs. Johnson's, my 10th Grade Biology teacher "and don't you forget it" she use to say LOL!

Again, this was still a little early because I obtained a "Sylvers size Fro'" the next year! LOL! I can still grow it to that length at my age now, although I prefer to keep it really short now of course. My cousin Donnie started thinning so he just shave his close to the scalp. I try to get a haircut every 2 weeks. I was never able to cut my own hair.

Hey remember when being[stylist]didn't matter,we just put on whatever pants and shirt we saw and ran outside to play,i do that sometimes today...but my wife makes me come in and change-i never have any fun!!

Hey remember when being[stylist]didn't matter,we just put on whatever pants and shirt we saw and ran outside to play,i do that sometimes today...but my wife makes me come in and change-i never have any fun!!
    If I'm not going to church or gathering that requires more appropriate gear, I'm in blue jeans and a tee shirt. I'm wearing a pair of shorts and a sleeveless Tee right now and I'm about to go to the store as-is. With that said, I wonder if my parents would have let me bounce off to school back in the day without combing my hair and with my pants hanging low enough to see most of my drawers?

Jerry,you already know the answer!

My friend Cliff that I grew up with, his Mom passed in March. We were standing in the church vestibule before the funeral mass started. All of these ladies came up and hugged Cliff and he goes "I guess my Hai Karate is working". I reminded him that he was showing his age when he said that and we had a little chuckle over it.

My friend Cliff that I grew up with, his Mom passed in March. We were standing in the church vestibule before the funeral mass started. All of these ladies came up and hugged Cliff and he goes "I guess my Hai Karate is working". I reminded him that he was showing his age when he said that and we had a little chuckle over it.
    LOL. Those commercials would get that cologne pulled off the shelves in the "Me Too" era.

LOL. Those commercials would get that cologne pulled off the shelves in the "Me Too" era.
    It would be strictly a no-no now! Men are not allowed to chase women and women are robots LOL!

It would be strictly a no-no now! Men are not allowed to chase women and women are robots LOL!
    Or use martial arts to beat away their advances! Dudes used to beat those girls up in those commercials.

Or use martial arts to beat away their advances! Dudes used to beat those girls up in those commercials.
    I know. Can you imagine a commercial like that getting approved and aired today? NO WAY! LOL!!!

Anyone remember Jade East? I remember wearing Canoe to High School and thinking
    I was SO cool. I wasn't.

I was SO cool. I wasn't.
Views: 376
    That's too NEW for me to remember! I don't remember much after 1965. I remember that my father used Old Spice back in the late 1940s and early 1950s. I liked the smell of that stuff. It didn't make me sick like most perfumes and colognes. I used an after shave that didn't make me sick, and didn't have a real strong smell, but it felt really cool on my face. I can't remember it because I started using it after I was 20. I don't remember much after that. I used Old Spice from 12-22 or so.

I started shaving with a safety razor at 11, because I had started growing a beard then. I had to bring my ID to the movie house already at 10 years old, to get in for the children's rate for under 12. At that time, my barber shaved my cheeks and neck, as part of my children's haircut for 50 cents Canadian. But, at 11, he told me that I'd have to add $1.00 to it for him to keep shaving me. So, I started shaving with my father's electric razor, but it burned, and didn't shave close enough to get the stubble off. Besides, my father got angry at me for dulling the blades, so he couldn't get a close shave anymore. So, I switched to a straight edge razor. My grandfather had a barbers one edge old-fashioned razor, but it was too sharp, cutting my face all up. I don't know how my barber used one of those on me and didn't cut me. I looked like a mummy with all the toilet paper to stop the bleeding. So, I started with Gillette 2-edged blades. Now I use Wilkenson Sword blades. I could use my Sudanese sword from the 1800s. But it is so sharp that it rip a cut along most of the scabbard that holds it. It MUST have been used by one of The Mahdi's men to kill lots of British soldiers in 1898!

At 17[[1963), after high school graduation, I stopped shaving my beard [[just my lower neck and cheeks), and have never shaved it off. I've had my beard and mustache for about 56 years now.

Anyone remember a really cool-feeling after shave from the early '60s that didn't smell much? I tried Hai-Karate, but didn't like the smell.

Views: 376
    That's too NEW for me to remember! I don't remember much after 1965. I remember that my father used Old Spice back in the late 1940s and early 1950s. I liked the smell of that stuff. It didn't make me sick like most perfumes and colognes. I used an after shave that didn't make me sick, and didn't have a real strong smell, but it felt really cool on my face. I can't remember it because I started using it after I was 20. I don't remember much after that. I used Old Spice from 12-22 or so.

I started shaving with a safety razor at 11, because I had started growing a beard then. I had to bring my ID to the movie house already at 10 years old, to get in for the children's rate for under 12. At that time, my barber shaved my cheeks and neck, as part of my children's haircut for 50 cents Canadian. But, at 11, he told me that I'd have to add $1.00 to it for him to keep shaving me. So, I started shaving with my father's electric razor, but it burned, and didn't shave close enough to get the stubble off. Besides, my father got angry at me for dulling the blades, so he couldn't get a close shave anymore. So, I switched to a straight edge razor. My grandfather had a barbers one edge old-fashioned razor, but it was too sharp, cutting my face all up. I don't know how my barber used one of those on me and didn't cut me. I looked like a mummy with all the toilet paper to stop the bleeding. So, I started with Gillette 2-edged blades. Now I use Wilkenson Sword blades. I could use my Sudanese sword from the 1800s. But it is so sharp that it rip a cut along most of the scabbard that holds it. It MUST have been used by one of The Mahdi's men to kill lots of British soldiers in 1898!

At 17[[1963), after high school graduation, I stopped shaving my beard [[just my lower neck and cheeks), and have never shaved it off. I've had my beard and mustache for about 56 years now.

Anyone remember a really cool-feeling after shave from the early '60s that didn't smell much? I tried Hai-Karate, but didn't like the smell.
    That's it Robb! Old Spice! Remember the commercial had this old sailor or captain in it. I use to grow a beard off and on in the early 80s before I got out of college. Then in the early 2000s I would grow a goatee every few weeks because it was popular. I have kept my mustache for centuries now. LOL!

I was SO cool. I wasn't.
    You know not for nothing, I can't remember the cologne we wore in high school. I know it was that cheap drug store cologne you got at Christmas in a box with some other stuff like after shave. I remember we would get my father, uncle and/or grandpa........"Old Spice" LOL! We didn't even smell it first, we would just buy it because we knew it from the commercials. LOL!!!1