[REMOVE ADS]

Page 46 of 77 FirstFirst ... 36 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 56 ... LastLast
Results 2,251 to 2,300 of 3827

Thread: Remember when?

Who remembers these? Everybody's grandma used to have one and I used to hate to see it pulled out because it would take forever to find a dime for an ice cream sandwich and I'd think that the ice cream truck would be on the next block before ten pennies could be counted out.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    Who remembers these? Everybody's grandma used to have one and I used to hate to see it pulled out because it would take forever to find a dime for an ice cream sandwich and I'd think that the ice cream truck would be on the next block before ten pennies could be counted out.
    Wow, yes! I had a red one my mother gave me once. They use to give 'em out at the bank.
    Last edited by marv2; 04-10-2018 at 02:29 PM.

Hah! And I know you all remember these from the days before calculators were everywhere.

Hah! And I know you all remember these from the days before calculators were everywhere.
    I remember those, but I go back even further than that!
    Attachment 14120
    Last edited by marv2; 04-10-2018 at 10:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jerry oz View Post
    who remembers these? Everybody's grandma used to have one and i used to hate to see it pulled out because it would take forever to find a dime for an ice cream sandwich and i'd think that the ice cream truck would be on the next block before ten pennies could be counted out.
    haaaaaaaaaaaaaaa,yep,god bless em grandma would pull them pennies in a minute.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I remember those, but I go back even further than that!
    Attachment 14120
    I used to love playing with the abacus in second grade. It's a fantastic learning tool.

How about these? They don't even have chalk boards in school anymore.

How about these? They don't even have chalk boards in school anymore.
    Oh man! I know I have not seen one of those since grade school. It allowed you to draw multiple lines on the board at once. I can also remember using it to write on the board too. Wow.

One of my first books in school.....

Attachment 14121

Good ole "Alice, Jerry and Jip"!

Attachment 14122

One of my first books in school.....

Attachment 14121
    LOL! I remember that book. And also, Sally, Dick and Jane.

One of the most influential things in my life was the Weekly Reader program, which started for us in 2nd grade. It was always a special time when my teachers opened the boxes and called off my name when a book arrived. One of the first books I ever got was called "Funny Jokes and Foxy Riddles". I got it in the 3rd grade and believe it or not, I still tell some of those jokes.

The other thing was the fact that my mom used to take my brother, my sister and me to the library every couple of weeks. I love my mom so much more for encouraging us to read.

Edit: "Funny Jokes and Foxy Riddles" is still in print! I might have to order a copy from Amazon.
    Last edited by Jerry Oz; 04-11-2018 at 10:05 PM.

The Weekly Reader [[we had to pay a dime a week something like that for it in school) and Highlights Magazine was serious stuff to me in the 1st, 2nd and 3rd Grades. I remember how serious I was when I read "Run Jip, Run, See Jip Run" for my father LOL!!!! Whoa...!

OMG.....I still have one [[red). I have it in the car in the glove compartment....just in case I need some change. Man, I am OLD.

Remember these? I remember using them in typing class....A LOT! LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by lakeside View Post

Remember these? I remember using them in typing class....A LOT! LOL!

Oh yeah. In fact, I had my first and only typing class 40 years ago this month!

remember these? I remember using them in typing class....a lot! Lol!
    haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa,i still have one of those here somewhere,haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!

Did you guys have the book-[when martha toozel caught a nix] in elementary school?

OMG.....I still have one [[red). I have it in the car in the glove compartment....just in case I need some change. Man, I am OLD.
    This literally made me laugh out loud.

Oh yeah. In fact, I had my first and only typing class 40 years ago this month!
    My mom signed me up for typing in 8th grade although I never knew why. But man, am I glad she did!

My mom signed me up for typing in 8th grade although I never knew why. But man, am I glad she did!
    I took Mrs. Turner's typing class my last quarter in high school because I had more credits than I needed to graduate, so I took it to fill up time. Guess what? It turned out to be one of the most valuable classes I ever took!

I took 2 years of typing in high school. I filled up some space as I went to summer school and took chemistry and biology, so, got that out of the way.
    Like you, Jerry...sure glad I did. I used it all through college typing up my papers and even made some $$ typing papers up for others. It was certainly a lifelong investment....very useful when computers/keyboarding came around.

Thank God for computers. Typing up a ten page double-spaced paper on a typewriter was such a pain in the ass. Especially when you finally finished, proof read it and then found a major mistake on page three that threw everything that followed off. It didn't help that I always procrastinated and was typically up all night trying to type something from notes instead of from a written draft. If I had a word processor in the '80s, I would have graduated every level of college [[junior college, college, graduate) with honors.

And if I didn't like partying so much.

Wink

Thank God for computers. Typing up a ten page double-spaced paper on a typewriter was such a pain in the ass. Especially when you finally finished, proof read it and then found a major mistake on page three that threw everything that followed off. It didn't help that I always procrastinated and was typically up all night trying to type something from notes instead of from a written draft. If I had a word processor in the '80s, I would have graduated every level of college [[junior college, college, graduate) with honors.

And if I didn't like partying so much.
    "And if I didn't like partying so much." The downfall of a lot of us during those years! I've got stories! LOL!

HECK IT TOOK THE SCHOOLS SYSTEM TWO YEARS TO TYPE UP THE PAPERS SAYING THAT THERE WAS NO CURRICULUM IN THE SYSTEM THAT WOULD LEARN ME ANYTHING[i have the letter framed and hanging in my bathroom].

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 320
Size:  21.1 KB
    I attended University during the 1960s, and 55 years later, I still, periodically, wake up in a cold sweat, after a nightmare that my term paper is due tomorrow, and I haven't started it yet [[not even the research!); or I have a final exam tomorrow morning for a class for which I have attended NONE of its lectures, all semester, AND I have not read its assigned books, AND/or have attended NONE of its lab sessions, AND I have done no studying whatsoever! It's amazing what pressure some of us were under, related to career preparation. I wonder if I will still have those nightmares after I die???

The funny thing is, that after all that studying and learning, I ended up as a cartoonist. But, at least, I can spout off scientific information at cocktail parties, and clear space around myself, by being a Monty Pythonesque "dreadfully dull and boring".

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
Views: 320
    I attended University during the 1960s, and 55 years later, I still, periodically, wake up in a cold sweat, after a nightmare that my term paper is due tomorrow, and I haven't started it yet [[not even the research!); or I have a final exam tomorrow morning for a class for which I have attended NONE of its lectures, all semester, AND I have not read its assigned books, AND/or have attended NONE of its lab sessions, AND I have done no studying whatsoever! It's amazing what pressure some of us were under, related to career preparation. I wonder if I will still have those nightmares after I die???

The funny thing is, that after all that studying and learning, I ended up as a cartoonist. But, at least, I can spout off scientific information at cocktail parties, and clear space around myself, by being a Monty Pythonesque "dreadfully dull and boring".
    Robb I've had similar experiences. In recent years, I have had dreams [[or were they nightmares?), that I still had courses to complete in order to earn my Undergraduate degree. What makes it so bad is that I earned my Masters Degree in 2003! LOL!

I don't have nightmares. But I have recollections of past stupidity that could have resulted in them. I remember one of my last classes before I got my bachelors required a four-page term paper [[2,000 words). I type ~40 words per minute, so I figured that's about an hour's worth of typing. Well, I went out that night and came home at 2:00 AM with the idea that I could be in bed by 3:00 am and up for work by 6:30 am. No problems, right?

As I said before, I hadn't even written the paper so I was typing from notes on an old IBM typewriter. And who could guess that after a day that I worked eight hours, had a four hour evening class and three hours of hanging at a nightclub, I wouldn't be in clear mind or able to type 40 words per minute? Or compose a cogent term paper on the spot? I didn't sleep that day. I wrote the paper, went to work and then fell asleep in class right after I turned the paper in. Thank God I didn't have to take notes that night! I got a B+ for the course, by the way.

I graduated with a 3.41 GPA and know that the only reason I didn't get out with honors [[3.5 and above) is because I had at least two classes where I lost half a grade thanks to going out with my dudes 4-5 times per week.
    Last edited by Jerry Oz; 04-21-2018 at 03:17 PM.

I don't have nightmares. But I have recollections of past stupidity that could have resulted in them. I remember one of my last classes before I got my bachelors required a four-page term paper [[2,000 words). I type ~40 words per minute, so I figured that's about an hour's worth of typing. Well, I went out that night and came home at 2:00 AM with the idea that I could be in bed by 3:00 am and up for work by 6:30 am. No problems, right?

As I said before, I hadn't even written the paper so I was typing from notes on an old IBM typewriter. And who could guess that after a day that I worked eight hours, had a four hour evening class and three hours of hanging at a nightclub, I wouldn't be in clear mind or able to type 40 words per minute? Or compose a cogent term paper on the spot? I didn't sleep that day. I wrote the paper, went to work and then fell asleep in class right after I turned the paper in. Thank God I didn't have to take notes that night! I got a B+ for the course, by the way.

I graduated with a 3.41 GPA and know that the only reason I didn't get out with honors [[3.5 and above) is because I had at least two classes where I lost half a grade thanks to going out with my dudes 4-5 times per week.
    Jerry, my final paper/project in undergraduate was 44 pages and had to be presented in front of my class. I use to work nights at UPS. I kept dosing off during the graduation ceremony.

LOL. I got my masters in 2012 and found out three weeks before my last class that in order to get my degree, I had to take a 6-8 hour exam that would cover subjects from every class that I'd taken in the previous 16 months! Thank God, I kept every on-line syllabus and pre-class exam and of course, all of my research and homework. I studied like a mutha f**ker for three weeks.

The test was the hardest one that I'd ever taken. I took three hours for part 1, had a half hour break and spent nearly three hours on part 2. I got my results and found out that I'd gotten 67% of it right and damn near died on the spot. Then I saw that the test was curved for the overall participation and I somehow wound up in the top 10% of those who took it. I absolutely would have failed it if I didn't cram for those last three weeks. At home. On my lunch break. Every free minute that I had.

When I think about the shift in my emotions that day, I still dance.

But I wish I had known about that test before the end of everything, though. If I didn't get my paper, I would had to pay for my tuition instead of having it reimbursed. I would have been both embarrassed and broke if I failed.
    Last edited by Jerry Oz; 04-21-2018 at 06:29 PM.

Jerry, my final paper/project in undergraduate was 44 pages and had to be presented in front of my class. I use to work nights at UPS. I kept dosing off during the graduation ceremony.
    Thank God I didn't have any 44 page papers. 20 pages is more than enough. Thankfully, when I was getting my MBA I was more organized and they kind of wrote themselves. I had the knowledge and just needed to organize how I presented it and type it up. Easy peezy at 47, hard as **** when I was 26.

There's something to be said about experience.

Thank God I didn't have any 44 page papers. 20 pages is more than enough. Thankfully, when I was getting my MBA I was more organized and they kind of wrote themselves. I had the knowledge and just needed to organize how I presented it and type it up. Easy peezy at 47, hard as **** when I was 26.

There's something to be said about experience.
    I did a great deal of my research for my MBA using the internet. It was like 70% Internet, 30% libraries.

Views: 293
    I attended university from 1965-1972. There was no internet, no personal computers. We had those giant batch processors and punch cards. All my term papers were over 50 pages.
    I had 3 masters degrees by age 23, but went to art school at age 40-44, after 20 years at my career related to my advanced degrees. I don't think I could have written good comic book stories, and adult comedy, had I not had my engineering/environmental/business career working for The UN in 3rd World countries, and First Nation [[Canadian) and US Native American Tribes, seeing The World, and learning about Human nature. Had I tried to become a cartoonist at 20, I'd probably have failed, and starved to death.

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
Views: 293
    I attended university from 1965-1972. There was no internet, no personal computers. We had those giant batch processors and punch cards. All my term papers were over 50 pages.
    I had 3 masters degrees by age 23, but went to art school at age 40-44, after 20 years at my career related to my advanced degrees. I don't think I could have written good comic book stories, and adult comedy, had I not had my engineering/environmental/business career working for The UN in 3rd World countries, and First Nation [[Canadian) and US Native American Tribes, seeing The World, and learning about Human nature. Had I tried to become a cartoonist at 20, I'd probably have failed, and starved to death.
    Robb, you're making me feel pretty inadequate right about now........LOL!

robb, you're making me feel pretty inadequate right about now........lol!
    hey marv,don't feel bad,i feel inadequate everytime i debate with my grandson...he's seven-sigh!

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    hey marv,don't feel bad,i feel inadequate everytime i debate with my grandson...he's seven-sigh!
Views: 302
    You think THAT's embarrassing! It took me several years to learn how to do much more than just to retrieve e-mail [[didn't get my first computer until 2001). And, I often have to get help from 6 and 7 year olds for my computer problems!!

So, Louis Armstrong had it right when he sang "I hear babies crying, I watch them grow. They'll learn much more than I'll ever know."

So, Louis Armstrong had it right when he sang "I hear babies crying, I watch them grow. They'll learn much more than I'll ever know."
    He sure did. Whenever I hear or think of that song, I imagine my Grandpa thinking the same way about me and my siblings.

Times they are a changing,i saw a type writer recently and it looked so old[this technology thing ain't no joke]and it's moving at such speed that sometimes i feel like just going to the basement pulling out my records and not coming back up[which would please my wife-hehe]seems like as soon as i start to understand what's going on with this technical stuff[thanks to my technically advanced daughter]ti gets even faster...i'm going to the basement now and be a caveman-sigh!!

My mom and dad are amazed that when they have problems with their computer, I typically can figure out a solution. They think I'm an IT guy and I'm far from it, everything I know was learned trying to figure out my own problems. There are [[much) younger people at my church who run circles around anything that I know from a technology standpoint. What's funny is that I remember having to learn BASIC back in 1986 and nobody knows that language anymore. I asked one of those young guys if BASIC and ASCII are even taught and they told me that they aren't. We are living in the future.

Umm,basic what jerry????

My mom and dad are amazed that when they have problems with their computer, I typically can figure out a solution. They think I'm an IT guy and I'm far from it, everything I know was learned trying to figure out my own problems. There are [[much) younger people at my church who run circles around anything that I know from a technology standpoint. What's funny is that I remember having to learn BASIC back in 1986 and nobody knows that language anymore. I asked one of those young guys if BASIC and ASCII are even taught and they told me that they aren't. We are living in the future.
    My Dad acted as if he was afraid of the computer. He would very carefully and slightly touch the keys on the keyboard and almost pull back like a reflex. My Mom does not know much at all about the Internet. She says things like "the Facebook". LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    Umm,basic what jerry????
    BASIC [[Beginner's All-Purpose Symbolic Instruction Code) was one of the initial computer programming languages. It's based on a series of "if/then" decisions and heavily relies on logic. It's a very uncomplicated complicated process that will give you headaches trying to figure out where you went wrong when your program doesn't work.

My Dad acted as if he was afraid of the computer. He would very carefully and slightly touch the keys on the keyboard and almost pull back like a reflex. My Mom does not know much at all about the Internet. She says things like "the Facebook". LOL!
    Mom had me set her up on Facebook and hasn't looked back. Dad only uses the computer to play solitaire games. He'll watch me and my nephews discuss sports and politics and ask how we know so much. I tell him I learn from the internet and offer to introduce it to him but he's intimidated. He gets all of his information from the local newspaper and TV news.

Mom had me set her up on Facebook and hasn't looked back. Dad only uses the computer to play solitaire games. He'll watch me and my nephews discuss sports and politics and ask how we know so much. I tell him I learn from the internet and offer to introduce it to him but he's intimidated. He gets all of his information from the local newspaper and TV news.
    I don't get it when it comes to my parents. My surrogate Mom and my Aunt are the same age as my parents and they use the internet [[mostly the gambling sites) all the time! Well My surrogate Mom passed last year, but played blackjack and would send me wild jokes to my email.

Quote Originally Posted by jerry oz View Post
    basic [[beginner's all-purpose symbolic instruction code) was one of the initial computer programming languages. It's based on a series of "if/then" decisions and heavily relies on logic. It's a very uncomplicated complicated process that will give you headaches trying to figure out where you went wrong when your program doesn't work.
    i was cool til you mentioned-logic,hehehhe!!

LOL. I got my masters in 2012 and found out three weeks before my last class that in order to get my degree, I had to take a 6-8 hour exam that would cover subjects from every class that I'd taken in the previous 16 months! Thank God, I kept every on-line syllabus and pre-class exam and of course, all of my research and homework. I studied like a mutha f**ker for three weeks.

The test was the hardest one that I'd ever taken. I took three hours for part 1, had a half hour break and spent nearly three hours on part 2. I got my results and found out that I'd gotten 67% of it right and damn near died on the spot. Then I saw that the test was curved for the overall participation and I somehow wound up in the top 10% of those who took it. I absolutely would have failed it if I didn't cram for those last three weeks. At home. On my lunch break. Every free minute that I had.

When I think about the shift in my emotions that day, I still dance.

But I wish I had known about that test before the end of everything, though. If I didn't get my paper, I would had to pay for my tuition instead of having it reimbursed. I would have been both embarrassed and broke if I failed.
    Talk about stress Jerry! Whew.......!

Talk about stress Jerry! Whew.......!
    Marv, had I found out about that damned test a week later, I might not have walked. I still don't know how other people knew about it when I never had a hint. If I'd known from the beginning of the program, I probably would have scored in the top 5% but I'm happy with what I got.

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaa,reminds me of my school days,when i almost lost a fifty cent bet[lotta money back then]my classmate said that i would pass and i almost did too,until the teacher asked..is a seal a mammal? Everybody knows that a seal is what you break to open the whiskey bottle...best bet i ever won.

Marv, had I found out about that damned test a week later, I might not have walked. I still don't know how other people knew about it when I never had a hint. If I'd known from the beginning of the program, I probably would have scored in the top 5% but I'm happy with what I got.
    Jerry, it was always strange how they communicated important dates and events in college. I know more now about what is going on at the University of Denver than i probably did when I was a student more than 30 years ago!