[REMOVE ADS]

Page 38 of 77 FirstFirst ... 28 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 48 ... LastLast
Results 1,851 to 1,900 of 3827

Thread: Remember when?

Don't forget the Marlboro Man. I remember when they advertised cigarette commercials on Saturday mornings. Tried to get us young.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    Don't forget the Marlboro Man. I remember when they advertised cigarette commercials on Saturday mornings. Tried to get us young.
    I remember the commercials where doctors encourage smoking to help with indigestion and digestion problems!

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    yeah, he always creeped me out a bit kind of like the guy that played the burger king. Lol!
    haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!

One of the first tv actors to die from cancer back in the day,was the actor from perry mason.

I'm pretty sure the Marlboro Man died from cancer as well.

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    One of the first tv actors to die from cancer back in the day,was the actor from perry mason.
    Yeah, Paul what's his name.

I'm pretty sure the Marlboro Man died from cancer as well.
    Yet I had a great uncle that smoked everyday from when he was a kid and lived well past 100 years old. I remember he and his oldest son would sit on their porch and smoke one after another He was already 100 and his son was 80!

It's my belief that you're not[going]until it's your time and only god knows that,i don't care what these[know it all]doctors say,how many folks do we know who have never[drank,smoked,clubbed]but died young none the less,when your number is called-that's it!!!

You and I were in that age of kids who were first being brainwashed to avoid cigarettes. I remember my dad and my aunt were the biggest two smokers in my family. Dad made it known point blank that I could save the preaching, so I didn't bother him with message. I told my aunt that she shouldn't smoke every time I saw her. After a couple of years, she finally told me that she knows that smoking is bad for her but she enjoyed it, so please stop trying to get her to stop. So I did. To my great sadness, she lost a leg above the knee about 10 years later due to hardened arteries and the other about three years after that.

I was crushed that I couldn't get her to stop before, but she definitely went cold turkey after losing the first leg. She died a few years later and I told my mother how bad I felt to not help her and Mom told me that my aunt told her several times that I had been right and how she wished that she had listened to me. It somehow made me feel even worse.

Both her and my Pops smoked from the time they were 12 years old. It killed her but Dad is still going strong at 82. Sometime around when he turned 60 or so, he stopped cold turkey and never went back. I don't know how he did it other than to consider addiction must hit some harder than others.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Yet I had a great uncle that smoked everyday from when he was a kid and lived well past 100 years old. I remember he and his oldest son would sit on their porch and smoke one after another He was already 100 and his son was 80!
    Crossing the road without looking for what's coming doesn't necessarily mean you're going to get run over, but you're going to increase the chances of it happening.

What i'm saying is that addictions put you in bad health,but death,doctors have been scaring folks for years with this line...you wanna die mr.nance? Well keep on doing this an that,and i have and i'm still sitting here,so far!!

It's my belief that you're not[going]until it's your time and only god knows that,i don't care what these[know it all]doctors say,how many folks do we know who have never[drank,smoked,clubbed]but died young none the less,when your number is called-that's it!!!
    My Grandmother passed away 11 years ago last month at age 100. She lived her entire life in a very rural area. She saw her doctor maybe once a year or so. She ate normal food, tended her garden and flowers and did all of her own housework including laundry up until age 97. Her mind was sharp as she and I would discuss George Bush on the phone. I've had cousins that did not make it out of their 40s because of excess and bad habits.
    Last edited by marv2; 01-24-2018 at 06:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    Crossing the road without looking for what's coming doesn't necessarily mean you're going to get run over, but you're going to increase the chances of it happening.
    Well that's true,but genetics and other parts of your lifestyle can have an effect. My Mom's first cousin Ella is 88 and smokes like a chimney and still drives her Buick sedan all over town.

Let's get back to our[happy]memories,because these doctors should stick to peddlin pills and referrals that's all there're good for they piss me the f--k off!!!

Remember when all we knew about was the good music coming from the radio,no gossip about artist personal lives.

Let's get back to our[happy]memories,because these doctors should stick to peddlin pills and referrals that's all there're good for they piss me the f--k off!!!
    They've peddled so many pills that they have created a whole new generation of drug addicts now.

My dad takes something like six or seven different drugs. I'm pretty sure that most are for symptoms caused by other ones. Like he took one originally for cholesterol but it caused high blood pressure. So he needed one for that and it caused sugar fluctuations. So he needed one for that and it caused water retention, so he needed a pill for that.

Maybe not in that exact order, but I'm convinced that he'd be better off without any of them.

My dad takes something like six or seven different drugs. I'm pretty sure that most are for symptoms caused by other ones. Like he took one originally for cholesterol but it caused high blood pressure. So he needed one for that and it caused sugar fluctuations. So he needed one for that and it caused water retention, so he needed a pill for that.

Maybe not in that exact order, but I'm convinced that he'd be better off without any of them.
    Minerals and a healthy diet are probably much better for us all.

Remember when you couldn't wait to get to[sunday school]because of that new cute girl,and your mom being so happy because her[baby]was getting interested in church,hehe.

Nah, that's not one of my memories. I do remember Mom giving me a quarter to put in the collection plate, though. And I remember the church we went to at some point started having "collection" and also a "deacon's offering". I think I was giving five dollars a week at that point. When the second basket became a thing, I split it up and put four dollars in the first basket and one into the next.

I can remember ONCE as a kid withholding my tithe and offering money so that I could go down into church basement afterwards and buy cake, etc. that they were selling. My father found out, that is why it was the one time I ever did that. hehehehehehehe!

I remember when one of our Sunday school teachers wanted us to read parts for a play. She called my brother out for fidgeting and he didn't appreciate it. When she finally turned to him to read a line from the script, he began to read all of the parts with each character having his or her own voice. He just didn't care and let her know it. Another time, we were supposed to read sections of our Sunday school manual and my sister bribed me with a McDonald's cheeseburger if I turned it out. Imagine a 12 year old Jesse Jackson suddenly reading instead of a quiet and shy kid who barely talked to anybody. My sister was in tears laughing before anybody could stop me and ask what was going on.

I remember how we used to visit my Grandma after church each Sunday. I'd always find time to run a few blocks to the drug store and buy two or three comic books with my allowance and every few weeks, I'd pick up a copy of Famous Monsters of Filmland. Great memories.

Haaaaa,once my buddy and i were supposed to be in church,instead we went to the washington monument[you could just walk on in back then]well my grandmother figured out i wasn't in church but she didn't tell mom[whew]needless to say i didn't pull that stunt again,hehe!!

I remember when one of our Sunday school teachers wanted us to read parts for a play. She called my brother out for fidgeting and he didn't appreciate it. When she finally turned to him to read a line from the script, he began to read all of the parts with each character having his or her own voice. He just didn't care and let her know it. Another time, we were supposed to read sections of our Sunday school manual and my sister bribed me with a McDonald's cheeseburger if I turned it out. Imagine a 12 year old Jesse Jackson suddenly reading instead of a quiet and shy kid who barely talked to anybody. My sister was in tears laughing before anybody could stop me and ask what was going on.

I remember how we used to visit my Grandma after church each Sunday. I'd always find time to run a few blocks to the drug store and buy two or three comic books with my allowance and every few weeks, I'd pick up a copy of Famous Monsters of Filmland. Great memories.
    The monster magazines. Don't get me started on those. The money I spent on them would have at least paid for my first year in college.LOL!!!

Yep. My cousin Lloyd used to buy those "Eerie" and "Creepy" comics. I couldn't even read those back then, they were too graphic and scary. He didn't bring home any Vampirella comics because his mother would have jumped on him when she looked at the covers.

Haaaaa,i remember that one,i collected[dc]comics and had some good ones too,my brother collected a different kind of mag,it was called[playboy]i had fun peeping at those.

Yep. My cousin Lloyd used to buy those "Eerie" and "Creepy" comics. I couldn't even read those back then, they were too graphic and scary. He didn't bring home any Vampirella comics because his mother would have jumped on him when she looked at the covers.
    I had that Vampirella issue. I had tons of the Movie Monster magazines. They seemed to be popular in the early 70s. We started collecting comics in the 60s up till the mid 70s when I got to high school. Some may still be stashed in my mom's house somewhere. I bought the first issue of "Luke Cage Hero for Hire".

Here's another example of the types of magazines I bought back then:

Attachment 13928

Wow,the great christopher lee as dracula.

I remember my big brother taking me downtown to the comic book store and he bought an "Avengers" comic. My sense of self changed when one of them had the Black Panther in it. I love Stan Lee to this day for that and can't wait to see the movie next month. And "Luke Cage, Hero For Hire" was one of my favorites as well.

And my monster movie magazine was Forrest Ackerman's "Famous Monsters of Filmland". Used to love that magazine.

I remember my big brother taking me downtown to the comic book store and he bought an "Avengers" comic. My sense of self changed when one of them had the Black Panther in it. I love Stan Lee to this day for that and can't wait to see the movie next month. And "Luke Cage, Hero For Hire" was one of my favorites as well.

And my monster movie magazine was Forrest Ackerman's "Famous Monsters of Filmland". Used to love that magazine.
    Yep Jerry...""The Black Panther". My brother and I had his comics beginning around 1968! Stan Lee had courage now that I look back. The real Black Panthers were active at that time!

Remember that[iron man-tony stark]was also black,which means that if somebody had some courage-terrace howard would've had that role.

Remember that[iron man-tony stark]was also black,which means that if somebody had some courage-terrace howard would've had that role.
    Yeah, but his good "friend" Robert Downey Jr. stabbed him in the back!

I only remember him being a white dude but Terrence Howard got screwed for making a power move for more loot playing War Machine in the movies. How did he get fired for asking for more money but Robert Downey, Jr. got a percentage of profits of those movies that netted him hundreds of millions?

Now that the Black Panther already has over $100 million in advance sales [[a record for a comic book movie), I'm hoping that studios stop taking black people for granted. It's been know for years that we spend a disproportionate amount of our income on things like fast food and entertainment. Yet, come Oscar time there's very few black nominees because all of the good roles go to white people.

Denzel Washington is the only black actor who gets roles that are either colorless or written for white men. And now, Octavia Spencer, Viola Davis, and Taraji P. Henson are getting love frequently for the great job they do on a consistent basis. I'm probably going back to the movies this year [[starting with "The Black Panther") but I refuse to patronize productions that have no black characters or producers. That goes for TV shows too, by the way.

I only remember him being a white dude but Terrence Howard got screwed for making a power move for more loot playing War Machine in the movies. How did he get fired for asking for more money but Robert Downey, Jr. got a percentage of profits of those movies that netted him hundreds of millions?

Now that the Black Panther already has over $100 million in advance sales [[a record for a comic book movie), I'm hoping that studios stop taking black people for granted. It's been know for years that we spend a disproportionate amount of our income on things like fast food and entertainment. Yet, come Oscar time there's very few black nominees because all of the good roles go to white people.

Denzel Washington is the only black actor who gets roles that are either colorless or written for white men. And now, Octavia Spencer, Viola Davis, and Taraji P. Henson are getting love frequently for the great job they do on a consistent basis. I'm probably going back to the movies this year [[starting with "The Black Panther") but I refuse to patronize productions that have no black characters or producers. That goes for TV shows too, by the way.
    Terrence Howard was the one that got Robert Downey Jr. the job on the film Iron Man. When Terrence was having trouble with producers, he went to Downey for support and was refused! They told him that all they essentially needed was Robert Downey and that Terrence could take it [[the low money) or leave it!

That's messed up. I'm a bigger Don Cheadle fan than I am a Terrence Howard fan, but I wish that he hadn't been available to take the part. [[Why is Public Enemy's "Burn Hollywood, Burn!") all of a sudden playing in my head right now?

What is your take on Mo'Nique calling for black people to boycott Netflix after they, in her mind anyway, low-balled her for a comedy special? I want to see her side of it, but I can see it from their perspective as a business as well. They're in the business of maintaining their subscriber base, not adding to it. I'm not sure she would be a priority program their subscribers. So should she be paid for general principle of fairness? And you know that a sister having the nerve to complain about this is likely going to cost her other opportunities. Burn Hollywood, Burn!

That's messed up. I'm a bigger Don Cheadle fan than I am a Terrence Howard fan, but I wish that he hadn't been available to take the part. [[Why is Public Enemy's "Burn Hollywood, Burn!") all of a sudden playing in my head right now?

What is your take on Mo'Nique calling for black people to boycott Netflix after they, in her mind anyway, low-balled her for a comedy special? I want to see her side of it, but I can see it from their perspective as a business as well. They're in the business of maintaining their subscriber base, not adding to it. I'm not sure she would be a priority program their subscribers. So should she be paid for general principle of fairness? And you know that a sister having the nerve to complain about this is likely going to cost her other opportunities. Burn Hollywood, Burn!
    I support Mo'nique because I know and understand what they are attempting to do to her. She is not being paranoid. They are trying to run her out of the industry. Hello Oprah!

I heard that the real T on Mo'Nique/Netflix is that they initially offered her $3 million [[still lowball considering her Oscar and resumé, IMHO) on the condition that she showcase/audition for them. She refused and then the $500K offer was placed.

I want to see her do well, but if that's true, she can't get out of her own way. I mean, if you can make $3 million doing something else, turn it down. But to turn down a payday like that because they gave Amy Schumer's unfunny ass more is a stand on principle that needs to be heavily considered.

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    I heard that the real T on Mo'Nique/Netflix is that they initially offered her $3 million [[still lowball considering her Oscar and resumé, IMHO) on the condition that she showcase/audition for them. She refused and then the $500K offer was placed.
    Uh uh, nope! How did Netflix go from a $3 million offer to a $ 500,000 offer. The guy Juwan Murray is lying. He is the one that put that out there. I do not know what his profession is, but he said it, along with dragging Mo'nique's husband through the mud. It logically does not make sense. Netflix has made no such statement.

I want to see her do well, but if that's true, she can't get out of her own way. I mean, if you can make $3 million doing something else, turn it down. But to turn down a payday like that because they gave Amy Schumer's unfunny ass more is a stand on principle that needs to be heavily considered.
    She did not turn down $ 3million. Netflix never made her that type of offer. Some guy named Juwan Murray [[who apparently does not care for women, especially black women) said that. He is trying to cover for certain people that have an axe to grind with Mo'nique.

Ok, I just found this on the guy:

Jawn Murray is a quick-witted TV host, Media Personality and Pop Culture Expert with a cosmic knowledge of entertainment news, celebrity culture, social issues and trending topics.

"Cosmic Knowledge"? If that does not make him suspect, I don't what will.

Back to the memories for me.

Remember wearing rain slickers to school? A rain slicker and a pair of galoshes made me invincible walking to school in cold wet mornings.

Hey have you all noticed how happy we are discussing our childhood[teen]days,but when we bring current events in it's get to be a downer?

I noticed. I'm Trumped when I try to figure out why that might be.

Remember wearing rain slickers to school? A rain slicker and a pair of galoshes made me invincible walking to school in cold wet mornings.
    Yeah Jerry but that one is a little to modern looking. Now these are the types of rain coats/slickers we wore as kids in the 60s:

Attachment 13931

Attachment 13932

Hey have you all noticed how happy we are discussing our childhood[teen]days,but when we bring current events in it's get to be a downer?
    That's because we're not simply being nostalgic, things actually were better then than they are today. It is one big downer if you ask me!