[REMOVE ADS]

Page 17 of 73 FirstFirst ... 7 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 27 67 ... LastLast

Thread: Remember when?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I never sat in a cockpit. I remember when my uncle Buddy would take a bunch of us to the airport for the sole purpose of watching airplanes take off and land. Back then, you could entertain kids for hours with something simple like that. Nowadays, you have to the kids Prozac to get them to sit still for more than a few minutes.

Does anybody remember the old push button car radios? Those were great back in the days.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    I never sat in a cockpit. I remember when my uncle Buddy would take a bunch of us to the airport for the sole purpose of watching airplanes take off and land. Back then, you could entertain kids for hours with something simple like that. Nowadays, you have to the kids Prozac to get them to sit still for more than a few minutes.

Does anybody remember the old push button car radios? Those were great back in the days.
    I remember playing with those buttons in my dad and granddad's car. Everything was AM. My brother and I would starting singing whatever the latest Beatles song was! LOL!

Remember when we thought that[bucket seats]were the coolest thing going?

I kind of liked being able to sit three across in the front seat, myself... I remember when my uncle bought his conversion van, though. I was quick to run to one of the bucket seats on it so that I didn't have to sit beside somebody. LOL.

Do you remember making sure there was an empty seat between you and a friend at the movie theater? The prevailing logic is that some hot chick might come in and need a seat, so you wanted to make sure you had one available beside you. We took it to another level, though. If the last available seat was between two of three friends, a fight would nearly break out over who would have to "sit bitch" in the middle. [[I know, that's stupid but that's how we rolled...)

Jerry back in the day,i always had a[hot chick]with me at the movies,hehehehe!!!

I can't say that. I'm talking about days when none of my crew was old enough to drive. There weren't a lot of hot chicks willing to ride for 45 minutes on the bus to see a flick with an eighth grader. But the juvie mind has to account for the eventuality that some super hot sophomore might somehow find herself in need of a seat and companionship. Hence, the empty seat. LOL. Cheers to being young and dumb. And two cheers to best friends.

YEP,WE DID THAT TOO,HEHE....HEY WAIT A TRIPTAKIN MINUTE HERE...YOU WENT TO THE TV STATIONS IN SCHOOL? THAT'S IT I'M SUEIN THE SCHOOL SYSTEM FOR DEPRIVING ME OF MY TV EDUMACATION...[maybe they'll let me back in].

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    YEP,WE DID THAT TOO,HEHE....HEY WAIT A TRIPTAKIN MINUTE HERE...YOU WENT TO THE TV STATIONS IN SCHOOL? THAT'S IT I'M SUEIN THE SCHOOL SYSTEM FOR DEPRIVING ME OF MY TV EDUMACATION...[maybe they'll let me back in].
    Yeah, me and my Cub Scouts troop were even on the Bozo the Clown show! LOL! This was back in the 60s.

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 497
Size:  21.1 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Yeah, me and my Cub Scouts troop were even on the Bozo the Clown show! LOL! This was back in the 60s.
    Wasn't that show filmed in Chicago?

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
Views: 497
    Wasn't that show filmed in Chicago?
    They had local "Bozo's" around the country. We had one in Toledo and along with Johnny Ginger and Mr. T.

I got a few bozo's here in da hood.

Remember those darge models with the square stering wheel?

We had Flippo the Clown in Columbus. He was a horribly boring afternoon movie host. It was only when I was in my teen years that I started listening to him and then I thought he was a hoot. Unfortunately, by then it was time for afternoon TV movies and local television hosts to disappear.

The best of these guys was the Ghoul, on Cleveland channel 61. He popped up around midnight on Saturday nights and absolutely trashed the movies that he played. He'd comment over the running film, play odd sound effects and songs, and generally have me laughing my ass off, even at movies that I liked.

The Ghoul had a little rubber frog toy that he played with. He did horrible things to that thing. Apparently, he lost his mind one evening and put a lit M-80 in the mouth of a live frog and blew it to pieces just as he screamed "Happy birthday, Froggy!!". He was fired immediately after and late night television has never been the same since then for me.

We had Flippo the Clown in Columbus. He was a horribly boring afternoon movie host. It was only when I was in my teen years that I started listening to him and then I thought he was a hoot. Unfortunately, by then it was time for afternoon TV movies and local television hosts to disappear.

The best of these guys was the Ghoul, on Cleveland channel 61. He popped up around midnight on Saturday nights and absolutely trashed the movies that he played. He'd comment over the running film, play odd sound effects and songs, and generally have me laughing my ass off, even at movies that I liked.

The Ghoul had a little rubber frog toy that he played with. He did horrible things to that thing. Apparently, he lost his mind one evening and put a lit M-80 in the mouth of a live frog and blew it to pieces just as he screamed "Happy birthday, Froggy!!". He was fired immediately after and late night television has never been the same since then for me.
    Jerry, the Ghoul was popular enough that they syndicated it and it was shown in Detroit Metro on WXON Channel 20. We had Sir Graves Ghastly that came on Sat afternoons on Channel 2. Our local movie hosts [[only Detroiters will know these names LOL) We had Rita Bell Prize Movie that came on in the mornings on Channel 7 WXYZ. I mostly saw her if I was home sick from school. Then you have the king, Bill Kennedy at The Movies that started off on Canadian CKLW 9 then moved to Detroit Channel 50. In Toledo, there was Joe Aston and "Dialing for Dollars" during breaks in the afternoon movie "The Big Show" on Channel 11 WTOL in Toledo.

In addition to Flippo the Clown, we had the All Night Theater with Jerry Reese. That dude was horrible. He knew next to nothing about movies and he talked for 10 minutes before showing a five minute movie clip and then talking for another 10 minutes. It literally took three hours to show 60 minutes of an edited 90 minute movie.

We saw the Ghoul when cable TV found its way to Columbus. Cleveland also had Superhost who popped up on Saturday afternoons on channel 43, who was funny unintentionally as well as Hoolihan and Big Chuck on channel 8, who came on late on Friday nights. They were a freaking hoot.

Channel 43 also had a guy named John Lanigan who did their weekday afternoon movies. You'd swear that this guy hated that assignment from the look on his face. He had a daily "guess what movie this is" segment where he'd literally show you two seconds of a ridiculously obscure movie for something like a $50 prize.

John Lanigan and the guy who played Superhost were also part of their station's news team, so it was funny watching them deliver news while imagining one with his nose painted red.

In addition to Flippo the Clown, we had the All Night Theater with Jerry Reese. That dude was horrible. He knew next to nothing about movies and he talked for 10 minutes before showing a five minute movie clip and then talking for another 10 minutes. It literally took three hours to show 60 minutes of an edited 90 minute movie.

We saw the Ghoul when cable TV found its way to Columbus. Cleveland also had Superhost who popped up on Saturday afternoons on channel 43, who was funny unintentionally as well as Hoolihan and Big Chuck on channel 8, who came on late on Friday nights. They were a freaking hoot.

Channel 43 also had a guy named John Lanigan who did their weekday afternoon movies. You'd swear that this guy hated that assignment from the look on his face. He had a daily "guess what movie this is" segment where he'd literally show you two seconds of a ridiculously obscure movie for something like a $50 prize.

John Lanigan and the guy who played Superhost were also part of their station's news team, so it was funny watching them deliver news while imagining one with his nose painted red.
    That's funny Jerry about the afternoon movies host. I can remember we could get Channel 43 on certain days once my Dad got the rotating tower antenna.

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa...that's the funniest stuff i've heard today jerry.

It seems we've run out of stuff to remember!!!!!

Views: 392
    Do any of you remember the old-fashioned wrought iron and hardwood individual desks with attached chairs from the late 1800s and early 1900s?

And are any of you old enough to remember having all old white-haired women for teachers because all the men were in the military, and all the young women were working in war industries, right after World War II?

Views: 392
    do any of you remember the old-fashioned wrought iron and hardwood individual desks with attached chairs from the late 1800s and early 1900s?

And are any of you old enough to remember having all old white-haired women for teachers because all the men were in the military, and all the young women were working in war industries, right after world war ii?
    hey robb,i'm not as old as you,but the school system was so cheap that we had some of those desk.

I had women as teachers exclusively in elementary school, although I never thought about the war as a reason. Does anybody remember pledging allegiance before the school day began or the teacher leading the class in prayer?

I had women as teachers exclusively in elementary school, although I never thought about the war as a reason. Does anybody remember pledging allegiance before the school day began or the teacher leading the class in prayer?
    the Pledge of Allegiance, yes. A prayer, no.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    the Pledge of Allegiance, yes. A prayer, no.
Views: 395
    We sang "God Save The King" until late 1952. From then on, we sang "God Save The Queen". I'm too old to have sung "Oh Canada" in school. although I attended University at U. of British Columbia after "Oh Canada" became our national anthem. But we didn't sing it before university classes. We sang The Dutch national anthem in basis [[elementary) school. In NONE of my schools in Canada, USA or The Netherlands, did we say prayers, other than a prayer for The King or Queen of The Netherlands on King's or Queen's Day. We DIDN'T say a pray for The King or Queen of The Bitish Commonwealth on their birthdays, despite making a fuss over them, and listening to their speeches on the radio.

I guess The USA is overzealous when it comes to religion [[but I think it's expressed in a hypocritical manner). If they were really religious, they would live by the golden rule and be tolerant of all people, and not so exclusivist and racist.

I guess The USA is overzealous when it comes to religion [[but I think it's expressed in a hypocritical manner). If they were really religious, they would live by the golden rule and be tolerant of all people, and not so exclusivist and racist.
    A lot of people in the U.S. just pay lip service to religion and christianity. Many don't believe in it but are afraid to speak up about it. Millennials, less so, but people, say, over 40 are really schizoid about it, and older people are sometimes up in your face about it. And, a lot of those people will try to argue that racism and hatred of gays is allowed in the bible.

All except my sixth grade teacher and P.E. teacher were women, and those two men were older. This was in the late 60s and early 70s.

1967-1968: We said the pledge of allegiance and prayed, and sang "America The Beautiful" in kindergarten.

1968-1970: We said the pledge of allegiance.

After 1971: nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    All except my sixth grade teacher and P.E. teacher were women, and those two men were older. This was in the late 60s and early 70s.

1967-1968: We said the pledge of allegiance and prayed, and sang "America The Beautiful" in kindergarten.

1968-1970: We said the pledge of allegiance.

After 1971: nothing.
    That's about how it was with me. You, Marv, and I had a lot of the same experiences even though we grew up in different cities.

That's about how it was with me. You, Marv, and I had a lot of the same experiences even though we grew up in different cities.
    Well, i'll correct that and say I had three male teachers in elementary school. I should add that I had a male teacher starting in 1971.

In jr. high and beyond, it was an equal split between men and women.

Same here. There was only one male teacher in my elementary school and they have him the awkward task of explaining the facts of life to all the boys in the sixth grade. He struggled badly with the questions of a bunch of kids who already heard about them from their big brothers, who had 99% of it wrong.

He did turn on the television and let us watch Hank Aaron tie Babe Ruth's homerun record, so that was cool. I had a bunch of male teachers in junior high. We ranked them by who gave the hardest swats. Mr. Tracy, our gym teacher, used to drill holes in his paddle so he could swing it faster, so he was high on my list.

Same here. There was only one male teacher in my elementary school and they have him the awkward task of explaining the facts of life to all the boys in the sixth grade. He struggled badly with the questions of a bunch of kids who already heard about them from their big brothers, who had 99% of it wrong.
    In my school, we didn't separate the boys from the girls for sex ed, and the female teachers did all the classes. The vast majority of us already knew the mechanics of it anyway, so most of us were very bored.

Views: 385
    I went straight to first grade at five years old, so, I missed Kindergarten. But my younger sister told me that her old lady [[witch) kindergarten teacher used to punish the boys by placing them under the grand piano, while she pounded down hard on the keys, and then they had to sit in the girls' "dollhouse" for 15 minutes. She must have traumatised many a little kid, and maybe altered their psyches for life.

I'm a nostalgist, who sees "the good old days" with rose coloured glasses. But, even I have to admit that, in SOME ways, our society has progressed [[at least in Canada and Western Europe).

Views: 385
    I went straight to first grade at five years old, so, I missed Kindergarten. But my younger sister told me that her old lady [[witch) kindergarten teacher used to punish the boys by placing them under the grand piano, while she pounded down hard on the keys, and then they had to sit in the girls' "dollhouse" for 15 minutes. She must have traumatised many a little kid, and maybe altered their psyches for life.

I'm a nostalgist, who sees "the good old days" with rose coloured glasses. But, even I have to admit that, in SOME ways, our society has progressed [[at least in Canada and Western Europe).
    We are regressing here in the United States.................................and fast!

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa....hey jerry i had a shop teacher who kept a paddle he called it-the board of education,and he wasn't afraid to use it..ahhh the good old days.

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa....hey jerry i had a shop teacher who kept a paddle he called it-the board of education,and he wasn't afraid to use it..ahhh the good old days.
    Good name for it! My shop teacher had a paddle too, but, to my knowledge, never used it. He made people run laps around the track. He got in trouble for making a kid with a heart condition run laps. He also had a bad temper.

Good name for it! My shop teacher had a paddle too, but, to my knowledge, never used it. He made people run laps around the track. He got in trouble for making a kid with a heart condition run laps. He also had a bad temper.
Views: 409
    My principal in elementary school in The North End of Winnipeg [[back in the '40s and beginning of the '50s), took off his belt and whipped the boys who were sent to him. He'd be sent to prison if he did that now. In middle school [[in West Kildonan, the phys. ed. teachers swatted us with paddle-ball paddles, that had holes drilled in them to lessen wind resistance. You couldn't sit down on a chair without a pillow after being swatted by him [[a musclebound ex Olympics wrestler). My electric shop teacher stodd all us boys in a line and gave us each a high-voltage electric shock [[presumably to "show" us that electricity was dangerous. But we could tell that the dirty sadist was doing it just for fun, by the evil grin that was on his face and the joy in his eyes [[the windows to the soul) as we jumped and our hairs stood on end and frizzd when we were shocked. Thank goodness our chemistry teachers didn't make us place our hands in strong acid to "warn" us about the potential danger.

Views: 409
    My principal in elementary school in The North End of Winnipeg [[back in the '40s and beginning of the '50s), took off his belt and whipped the boys who were sent to him. He'd be sent to prison if he did that now. In middle school [[in West Kildonan, the phys. ed. teachers swatted us with paddle-ball paddles, that had holes drilled in them to lessen wind resistance. You couldn't sit down on a chair without a pillow after being swatted by him [[a musclebound ex Olympics wrestler). My electric shop teacher stodd all us boys in a line and gave us each a high-voltage electric shock [[presumably to "show" us that electricity was dangerous. But we could tell that the dirty sadist was doing it just for fun, by the evil grin that was on his face and the joy in his eyes [[the windows to the soul) as we jumped and our hairs stood on end and frizzd when we were shocked. Thank goodness our chemistry teachers didn't make us place our hands in strong acid to "warn" us about the potential danger.
    Man, a teacher would go to prison for that shit today.

man, a teacher would go to prison for that shit today.
    haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaa....you know that's right,haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!

Our shop teacher, upset that the class was talking too loud instead of working on our project, put a metal trash can in his desk and smacked it with his paddle so hard, it flew 25 feet across the room. We were quiet as we worked diligently on our projects for the rest of the period.

Our shop teacher, upset that the class was talking too loud instead of working on our project, put a metal trash can in his desk and smacked it with his paddle so hard, it flew 25 feet across the room. We were quiet as we worked diligently on our projects for the rest of the period.
Views: 356
    Do you mean put ON [[atop) his desk, and it flew in the air, OR that he put the trash can inside the desk and the whole desk went skidding across the room's floor?

Views: 356
    Do you mean put ON [[atop) his desk, and it flew in the air, OR that he put the trash can inside the desk and the whole desk went skidding across the room's floor?
    Ha! I meant "on top of his desk". Autocorrect strikes again making my "on" into "in" for no really good reason.

Ha! I meant "on top of his desk". Autocorrect strikes again making my "on" into "in" for no really good reason.
Views: 352
    I absolutely HATE when the automatic speller and grammar tools "correct" what it thinks I've done wrong, or anticipates what I "want" to say. When I'm writing in English, Dutch, German, French, Spanish or Danish, I use those languages' keyboards and the automatic spell and grammar checkers that go with them. But, I often put phrases from English or another language in my writing and the automatic checker invariably "corrects" them to the keyboard's language, much to my distress. And I always have to write over its change for a 3rd time, before it believes [[understands) that that is not a mistake on my part, but actually what I WANT to write. I almost never actually get help from those functions. I should probably turn them off altogether. But, sometimes seeing my note with virtually ALL words with red lines underneath, makes me realise that I was writing a letter to a person in the WRONG LANGUAGE! So, for that reason alone, it's worth it to me to struggle with having to change the corrector's "errors".

My mom didn't play when it came to school,heck i would rather be punished by the teacher than to have a note sent home to mom.

Remember those dances we had in the gym,and the girls would get mad cause the boys wouldn't ask em to dance.

Remember playing dodge ball in the gym when you were lucky enough to hide behind the big kids until the last one on your team got put out and you were playing one-on-five against upperclassmen who had the hard soccer balls and all you had was one of those big red super soft balls that nobody ever got put out with? Good times...

Remember playing dodge ball in the gym when you were lucky enough to hide behind the big kids until the last one on your team got put out and you were playing one-on-five against upperclassmen who had the hard soccer balls and all you had was one of those big red super soft balls that nobody ever got put out with? Good times...
    We had something called "wall ball". The jocks would line up one one side of a main corridor, and the other side was a brick wall. They would forcefully throw basketballs at any "nerd" who dared to pass through. Of course the poor kid would have to dodge the balls coming at him.

Wow. We didn't have much bullying at any of the schools I attended, let alone something as rotten as that.

Wow. We didn't have much bullying at any of the schools I attended, let alone something as rotten as that.
    Interesting. That was only in jr. high school, too! We are about the same age, but I grew up in a "boys will be boys" world. The staff knew this kind of thing went on, but only wagged their finger at it. In high school, all kinds of things went on especially on away games. I was in the band, so we had things like wrapping up somebody to a pole from head to toe with a whole roll of duct tape and leaving him there [[the teacher was more pissed about wasting a roll of tape to do it), everyone de-pantsing girls on the bus [[that's where a bunch of people in the back of the buss forcefully pull of the poor girl's pants and won't give them back), making someone sit in a bathtub full of ice water in hotel rooms, and gang-banging the sweet but troubled girl in a hotel room.

We never really had bullying either. The kids I came up with could not be intimidated. Every now and then we would get a new transfer student from Chicago or Cleveland who thought they were going to punk people. That would not even last through the course of a month before someone gets bored and jump on him and beat the shit out of him.

Most of our teachers were old world war ii dudes..[you think any kid was gonna intimidate them??haaaaaaaaaaaaaa]

That's insanity. My high school was kind of unique. Black kids did hang out mostly with Black kids, but there were overlapping cliques everywhere that pretty much precluded bullying. There were kids in the A/V society who were friends with athletes who were friends with the pep squad who were friends with the kids in the art room who were friends with student government who were friend with the language clubs. Picking on somebody would have put you on the wrong side of somebody who could and would kick your ass.

People got into fights but that was more personal business than the socialized pecking order taking root. And usually, those people were friends, so the fights were much more fair than they would have been if a football player fought with a band member. I never thought that was unique, but now I'm starting to think that I caught a break.

That's insanity. My high school was kind of unique. Black kids did hang out mostly with Black kids, but there were overlapping cliques everywhere that pretty much precluded bullying. There were kids in the A/V society who were friends with athletes who were friends with the pep squad who were friends with the kids in the art room who were friends with student government who were friend with the language clubs. Picking on somebody would have put you on the wrong side of somebody who could and would kick your ass.

People got into fights but that was more personal business than the socialized pecking order taking root. And usually, those people were friends, so the fights were much more fair than they would have been if a football player fought with a band member. I never thought that was unique, but now I'm starting to think that I caught a break.
    In jr. high. which was from 7th grade to 9th grade, the races mixed really well. There were cliques of the jocks, nerds, and the "gays".

But, in my high school, the same cliques were there, but the Blacks mainly associated only with other Blacks, and the Mexicans really separated themselves, and were the most violent. You had the cowboys, which we called "goat ropers", you had the NHS [[National Honor Society), German club, Greek club, the choir people, band people, jocks and cheerleaders, gays, the druggies, the guys who were focused on business/politics, and everyone else.

Mexicans were always at war with Blacks. The jocks were mostly assholes, but not in a bad way.