[REMOVE ADS]

Page 13 of 73 FirstFirst ... 3 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 23 63 ... LastLast

Thread: Remember when?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Great story jerry,i remember my cousin's first car also high school,he had a[1954]ford gop[get out and push]which we did every other block,my uncle made him take that clunker back and get his fifty dollars back,can you believe that we tried to pick up chicks in that thing and got mad when they would laugh...the good ol days!!

For you[nfl]fans,remember the days before monday night football when[frank gifford]did the pregame show alone,and did it well?

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    For you[nfl]fans,remember the days before monday night football when[frank gifford]did the pregame show alone,and did it well?
    Yep! You're going wayyyy back, pre- 1970!

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Yep! You're going wayyyy back, pre- 1970!
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 265
Size:  21.1 KB
    I remember before The NFL had ANY game shown on TV, back before people had TVs in there homes. I remember when The Dallas Texans were in The NFL, and when they moved to Baltimore, to become The Colts, and when Slingin' Sammy Baugh was still playing QB for The Redskins, and when there were only a few "token" African-American players in The NFL, and Bob Waterfield was #1 QB on The L.A. Rams, when they had only been in L.A. for a few years, after having moved there from Cleveland. And I remember when The Braves were still in Boston [[before moving from to Milwaukee), The Athletics were still in Philadelphia, and still managed by Connie Mack [[who started playing in The Major Leagues in 1880), and when The St. Louis Browns were still in St. Louis, before moving to Baltimore, to become The Orioles. And, I remember when The Canadian football League had just changed its name from The Canadian Rugby League. And I remember when Gordie Howe was in his early 20s playing for The Detroit Red Wings, and i remember Rocket Richard, and Sid Abel, and Red Kelly, and when Babe Ruth was still alive, and Satchel Paige playing both for The Cleveland Indians and The St. Louis Browns. And I remember The Negro Leagues, and both Willie Mays and Hank Aaron playing in the minor leagues, and both of them as well as Ernie Banks as rookies. And I'm old enough to have seen many Cub games in the bleachers for 25¢ per game[[same price as a haircut), and popcorn was 5¢.

And I'm old enough to have been alive before the new word spellings were adopted in The Netherlands and Denmark [[1948), which occur about every 100 years or so. The same type of changing to match the spoken word is long overdue in English [[about 1200 years overdue).
    Last edited by robb_k; 11-23-2015 at 05:29 AM.

Remember when one team was too far behind to win and Dandy Don Meredithv would start singing "turn out the lights, the party's over..."?

And now, the top five NFL quarterback makes more than the entire league earned before the merger in 1966. League revenues were $60.8 million in 1969 and the top current player earns well more than $80 million.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    And now, the top five NFL quarterback makes more than the entire league earned before the merger in 1966. League revenues were $60.8 million in 1969 and the top current player earns well more than $80 million.
    I know. It's disgusting.

I'm cool with it. I support anybody getting what they can. A lot of people hate it when players sign contracts and then hold out when they have a good season, thinking their old contract is unfair. If they get paid, then they shouldn't care what everybody else thinks. The owners will cut them if they don't take pay cuts following bad seasons, so they don't honor contracts. Screw them.

Professional sports has always been business before entertainment. Jackie Robinson was brought into the league because he was good for the bottom line, not because he was Black. And if the public is so stupid as to pay $200 for a gameday experience for a father and his son to watch a football or basketball game, they aren't the ones to complain that some player is working the hustle well. God bless the players and their crazy loot and God bless that father who got what he paid for.

Remember when we would watch-cowboys an indians on tv....and root for the cowboys?

Remember when kids could play with toy guns without the fear of being shot by police officers? For that matter, remember when you could run the streets until after dark... And you were still in elementary school? I wouldn't let a kid that young out of my sight in 2015.

Remember when kids could play with toy guns without the fear of being shot by police officers? For that matter, remember when you could run the streets until after dark... And you were still in elementary school? I wouldn't let a kid that young out of my sight in 2015.
Views: 253
    Our parents had to drag us into the house for dinner virtually every night after dark. None of us were ever abducted by predators. Our house doors were never locked, and they were often wide open in summer [[except for screens. Mosquitos would have eaten us alive.

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
Views: 253
    Our parents had to drag us into the house for dinner virtually every night after dark. None of us were ever abducted by predators. Our house doors were never locked, and they were often wide open in summer [[except for screens. Mosquitos would have eaten us alive.
    Now that I remember!

Remember when your parents would drop you off at the movies on a Sat. and you'd be there all day watching films like Godzilla vs....... the cartoons and then the movie would be repeated? All for like $0.75 for kids?

Remember when your parents would drop you off at the movies on a Sat. and you'd be there all day watching films like Godzilla vs....... the cartoons and then the movie would be repeated? All for like $0.75 for kids?
Views: 464
    We walked or rode our bikes, to the movie show. It cost 25¢ for all day Saturday matinee. They played several feature films, and showed lots of serial shorts and cartoons. We brought our own food from home inside.

Views: 464
    We walked or rode our bikes, to the movie show. It cost 25¢ for all day Saturday matinee. They played several feature films, and showed lots of serial shorts and cartoons. We brought our own food from home inside.
    We lived across from a drive-in with a relatively low fence, with the screen facing us. We used to have a big kid sneak in and turn the speakers up.

I do. Our grindhouse was at the old Southern Hotel downtown. I'll never forget the day my Uncle Sam visited from Virginia and asked my brother and me if we ever saw a kung fu movie. Of course we had not at that time, so he took us to see "The Hammer of God" and "Five Fingers of Death". Blood. Gore. Wire stunts. Boobies. We weren't old enough to see them but I was caught up and I love kung fu movies to this very day.

I do. Our grindhouse was at the old Southern Hotel downtown. I'll never forget the day my Uncle Sam visited from Virginia and asked my brother and me if we ever saw a kung fu movie. Of course we had not at that time, so he took us to see "The Hammer of God" and "Five Fingers of Death". Blood. Gore. Wire stunts. Boobies. We weren't old enough to see them but I was caught up and I love kung fu movies to this very day.
    I saw my first kung fu/martial arts movie at the drive-in in Toledo back in the early 70s! LOL! I also saw Dolemite's movie, hehehehehehe

Man, we saw all of those old blaxpoitation flicks at either the drive-in or grindhouse cinemas. Curiously, blood, bullets, revolutionaries, greed, klansmen, swearing, and Pam Grier's big ol' bitties didn't mess me up like parents resource groups would like people to believe.

I think.

Man, we saw all of those old blaxpoitation flicks at either the drive-in or grindhouse cinemas. Curiously, blood, bullets, revolutionaries, greed, klansmen, swearing, and Pam Grier's big ol' bitties didn't mess me up like parents resource groups would like people to believe.

I think.
    Yeah Pam Grier and Tamara Dobson kept things interesting if you know what I mean. LOL

I think.
    You think? LOL!!!!!

Tamara Dobson aka Cleopatra Jones. Six feet and bad.

Tamara Dobson aka Cleopatra Jones. Six feet and bad.

Totally. She was one of our top pin up girls.

Don't forget the ABC knockoff series "Get Christie Love". She called everybody 'Sugar'. I think she was the only person of color on the show.

Don't forget the ABC knockoff series "Get Christie Love". She called everybody 'Sugar'. I think she was the only person of color on the show.

I was thinking of her when Tamara Dobson came up. I liked Teresa Graves all the way back to her Laugh-In days. I was saddened by her tragic passing.

You know, I had forgotten that she died. She was my third television crush after Denise Nicholas and Karen Valentine in "Room 222". I used to like Diahann Carroll in "Julia", too.

You know, I had forgotten that she died. She was my third television crush after Denise Nicholas and Karen Valentine in "Room 222". I used to like Diahann Carroll in "Julia", too.
    Denise Nicholas was right up there.......on the bedroom wall with Mary Wilson and Freda Payne in the early 70s! LOL! Whew! She was another Detroit girl.

Diahann Carroll, Nancy Wilson, Dionne Warwick, Barbara McNair and them would have been more of my Dad's speed.

Diahann Carroll, Nancy Wilson, Dionne Warwick, Barbara McNair and them would have been more of my Dad's speed.
Views: 396
    I liked Diahann Carroll's looks very much, but not Barbara McNair, Nor Dionne Warwick. Actually, Dionne looked a bit evil, especially with her eyebrows slanted the way they were. Her sister Dee Dee [[who I got to know-as she was a good friend of one of my Airwave Records partners) was quite a nice person, and very good looking, too. And she sang just like an angel, just like Dionne. I often dreamed of having someone like that sing me to sleep. I thought Brenda Holloway looked very beautiful [[and she also sang like an angel). As far as movie stars go, I liked Natalie Wood's looks, and Anita Ekberg, and Brigitte Bardot.

Views: 396
    I liked Diahann Carroll's looks very much, but not Barbara McNair, Nor Dionne Warwick. Actually, Dionne looked a bit evil, especially with her eyebrows slanted the way they were. Her sister Dee Dee [[who I got to know-as she was a good friend of one of my Airwave Records partners) was quite a nice person, and very good looking, too. And she sang just like an angel, just like Dionne. I often dreamed of having someone like that sing me to sleep. I thought Brenda Holloway looked very beautiful [[and she also sang like an angel). As far as movie stars go, I liked Natalie Wood's looks, and Anita Ekberg, and Brigitte Bardot.
    I loved Diahann Carroll. A very goodlooking woman she seemed too mature for a guy of my age at that time. I may have been around the same age as her television son Corey.. LOL! I loved Patty Duke, The Petticoat Junction sisters, Eartha Kitt as Catwoman and Raquel Welch as that cavewoman she played LOL!

Views: 382
    I guess there were probably actresses whose looks I liked better than those I listed above. I didn't care all that much for Carol Lombard or Marilyn Monroe, or Elizabeth Taylor or Kim Novak. I did like Audrey Hepburn. I didn't put pin-up pictures of women all over my walls, but I did look at "Playboy". The pictures on my walls were hockey players.

I loved Diahann Carroll. A very goodlooking woman she seemed too mature for a guy of my age at that time. I may have been around the same age as her television son Corey.. LOL! I loved Patty Duke, The Petticoat Junction sisters, Eartha Kitt as Catwoman and Raquel Welch as that cavewoman she played LOL!
    LOL! I used to identify with Corey Baker from 'Julia', the only little Black kid on TV. And I think my first naughty thoughts in life came from the opening of 'Petticoat Junction' when Bobbi Jo, Billie Jo, and Betty Jo were bathing in the water tower.

I saw this today. check this out;

http://www.answers.com/article/12773...ram1=344366026

Karen Valentine was my crush!

Remember when Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade looked like this on TV?

HECK,AFTER A COUPLE HITS OF THIS WONDERFUL ELIXUR[it's good for tv]GRANNY OF THE HILLBILLIES LOOKS PRETTY GOOD.

HECK,AFTER A COUPLE HITS OF THIS WONDERFUL ELIXUR[it's good for tv]GRANNY OF THE HILLBILLIES LOOKS PRETTY GOOD.
    Stop drinking now!

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    Stop drinking now!
    but it's the holidya weekend LOL!

but it's the holidya weekend LOL!
    But when you start talking about granny looking good, you've overdone it!

But when you start talking about granny looking good, you've overdone it!
    Ok I'm with you on that one! LOL@!!!

YOU TWO DON'T KNOW THE POWER OF JUST ONE SIP...[is granny in a thong??]

Remember when people in their 40s looked as old as people in their 60s look today? And for that matter, when people were okay with aging gracefully instead of using gallons of hair color combined with Botox and multiple face lifts and cosmetic procedures to try to hang on. This is mostly women, by the way. Not one of them over 40 has her old nose.

Remember when people in their 40s looked as old as people in their 60s look today? And for that matter, when people were okay with aging gracefully instead of using gallons of hair color combined with Botox and multiple face lifts and cosmetic procedures to try to hang on. This is mostly women, by the way. Not one of them over 40 has her old nose.
    These days I see lots of men doing the same things to look young. Today, it has nothing to do with being a woman.

These days I see lots of men doing the same things to look young. Today, it has nothing to do with being a woman.
    That's true enough. It bothers me that a lot of local news channels have 40-50ish men working alongside much younger women, who in some cases could be cover girls. Women are treated much differently by media producers than guys are and under a lot of pressure to keep their window of opportunity open for more than 15 years when men can stay relevant [[and paid well) for 30 years or more. It's my opinion and very general, but that's why so many women make alterations to their appearances, especially in their 30s.

Then again, you have the Kenny Rogers, Mickey Rourke, and David Hasselhoffs of the world who ridiculously try to hang on to their younger days by having significant facial surgeries. I'll leave out John Travolta's horrible wig and the obvious hair dye that other male actors employ. Thank goodness Steve Harvey shaved his head instead of continuing to wear his toupee.

Then again, you have the Kenny Rogers, Mickey Rourke, and David Hasselhoffs of the world who ridiculously try to hang on to their younger days by having significant facial surgeries. I'll leave out John Travolta's horrible wig and the obvious hair dye that other male actors employ. Thank goodness Steve Harvey shaved his head instead of continuing to wear his toupee.
    Much better to eat less, eat healthy, exercise a lot, and lifts weights to keep muscle, and you will look better than being out-of-shape and doing funny things with your skin and hair color to try to look "young".

That's true enough. It bothers me that a lot of local news channels have 40-50ish men working alongside much younger women, who in some cases could be cover girls. Women are treated much differently by media producers than guys are and under a lot of pressure to keep their window of opportunity open for more than 15 years when men can stay relevant [[and paid well) for 30 years or more. It's my opinion and very general, but that's why so many women make alterations to their appearances, especially in their 30s.

Maybe it's regional. Out here, you see many older women, some not so attractive side by side younger men.

I remember when grandparents in their 60s looked very old and most of them were dying in their '60s. I'm just about 70, and I expect to live at least into my mid 90s, if not reach 100 or so. My best friend's mother just died at 105. My father died last year at 94. His father died at 94, and his mother at 97 [[but she could have lived another 7-8 years 9she was still walking 3 miles a day, and had her mind completely intact, but she stopped eating, as The World hasd gotten to weird for her, and every time she would make a new friend, the friend would die. My father's sister just died at 99, and his other sisters still alive at 96. My Mother's mother was 94 when she died, and my mother was 87, but she could have lived to 95 if he hadn't decided just to lie in bed and sleep at 78 [[she did that for her last 9 years. So, I expect to live to 100. I never smoked, I don't drink spirits [[just some wine when people serve it and I am invited), I lift weights every day and still run, swim and ice skate a little).

A WOMAN TO ME CAN BE FINE AS CAN BE AND HAVE LIPS AS SWEET AS HONEY,BUT A WOMAN DON'T MEAN A THING TO ME IF SHE AIN'T GOT NO MONEY...[hehehehehehehe!!!]

A WOMAN TO ME CAN BE FINE AS CAN BE AND HAVE LIPS AS SWEET AS HONEY,BUT A WOMAN DON'T MEAN A THING TO ME IF SHE AIN'T GOT NO MONEY...[hehehehehehehe!!!]
    You betta watch yo self man...you ain't said a thang! ! LOL!!!

Remember when dudes used to trip if their old ladies made more loot than they did? What was that all about? Nowadays, half of these idiots out here want their women to make bank so they don't have to work at all.

Remember when dudes used to trip if their old ladies made more loot than they did? What was that all about? Nowadays, half of these idiots out here want their women to make bank so they don't have to work at all.
    I do not have a problem with a woman making GOOD money at all.