[REMOVE ADS]

Page 10 of 73 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 20 60 ... LastLast

Thread: Remember when?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Methuselah2 View Post
    And this Judy Garland movie is about the waitresses at Harvey House.
    Attachment 10332
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 385
Size:  21.1 KB
    But that film is about the very start of Harvey House in the 1880s.

Well, that's true, Robb. But those Harvey House restaurants were steeped in tradition. Part of what made them so popular. I loved going there--always felt like a wonderful step back in time. [[With fresh food, of course!)

Geno's was started by geno marchetti who played for the baltimore colts.

Geno's was started by Geno Marchetti who played for the Baltimore Colts.
Views: 398
    The football player's name was spelled G-I-N-O. So, why was the restaurant G-E-N-O's?
    Last edited by robb_k; 10-15-2015 at 07:23 PM.

Ummm..gino's!!!

supremester Guest

This is my school lunch box from 1969:

Attachment 10354

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    This is my school lunch box from 1969:

Attachment 10354
Views: 382
    I was a"brown bagger", but, my little brother had a Davy Crockett lunch box. When I was young enough for a lunch box, soe of the boys had Hopalong Cassidy, Gene Autrey or Roy Rogers lunch boxes.

Marv,you must have alot of stuff in your attic,hehehehe!!!

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    Marv,you must have alot of stuff in your attic,hehehehe!!!
    JAI, we have a ton of stuff LOL!!!

Remember]valley forge beer]?

Remember]valley forge beer]?
    I lived in Valley Forge/King of Prussia area but do not remember that beer.

Maybe it was local,but was very popular in the sixties.

I know most of you remember Mikey who liked his Life cereal.

http://m.youtube.com/?#/watch?v=vYEXzx-TINc
    Last edited by Jerry Oz; 10-17-2015 at 03:07 PM.

this is not anyone i know but is a good representation of how we went out Trick or Treating in the mid 60s LOL!

Attachment 10370

What about these guys? We played with plastic, non-moving army men for long periods of time, proof that kids can function fully well with little more than their imagination.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    What about these guys? We played with plastic, non-moving army men for long periods of time, proof that kids can function fully well with little more than their imagination.

Oh shit, those were my guys! LOL! You use to could get a whole bag of them for probably under $2 . I Went from chewing the heads off and spitting at my brother at about age4. To throwing at him by 5 or 6 , to setting them up in elaborate battlelines by 7. By 8 I had moved on to Hot Wheels.

Views: 390
    When I was a kid, we didn't have those little soldiers. We had larger, soldiers and cowboys and Indian figures [[probably 3 or 4 times as big. Cheaper ones were plastic, and one solid colour. But there were also wooden, hand painted ones. But those sets were much more expensive, and had much smaller amounts. But they cost more, and you couldn't have as many. The bags of many little ones for low cost, started around 1958 or so. I remember the adverts, 99 Soldiers for $1.85, on the back of comic books. They had a Civil War set, current WWII set, a Cowboy and Indian set, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
Views: 390
    When I was a kid, we didn't have those little soldiers. We had larger, soldiers and cowboys and Indian figures [[probably 3 or 4 times as big.
    That reminds me of when G.I. Joes were 12" tall instead of those hard little plastic dudes they sell now.

I never got into those war/G.I. Joe action figure crap. My family was too close to the Viet Nam situation in the 60s and 70s, anyway. I got into collecting Matchbox and Hot Wheels stuff. At one point, I even had one of those "juicers".
    Name:  a8a24f0174992d9171e55d0726aa21bc.jpg
Views: 495
Size:  20.0 KB

Remember those[crash cars]that you would run into the wall and then put it back together for another run?

Remember those[crash cars]that you would run into the wall and then put it back together for another run?
    Uh huh, I remember those. You also just made me remember those little rockets where you had to mix baking soda & vinegar as the jet fuel to make the shoot across the room. I remember having a milk truck, a fire engine and train sets made out of real metal with sharp corners on them.. LOL!!!

Views: 363
    You are all so young! I think my growing up was more like that of my parents than like that of many of you who are only 10-15 years t=younger than I. I am lonesome for some of the other "Oldies" to post on this thread, like Ralph, or whoever else is above 70.

Views: 363
    You are all so young! I think my growing up was more like that of my parents than like that of many of you who are only 10-15 years t=younger than I. I am lonesome for some of the other "Oldies" to post on this thread, like Ralph, or whoever else is above 70.
    Robb, I'm sorry. I can only legitimately go back as far as say 1960 [[though I have knowledge of lot things that occurred before then.) hehehehehehehe..........

Gee rob,i've always thought of myself as one of the old heads here,but i feel like a kid next to your knowledge.....thanks,hehehehehe!!!

Gee rob,i've always thought of myself as one of the old heads here,but i feel like a kid next to your knowledge.....thanks,hehehehehe!!!
    He is extremely knowledgeable. I glad that he is here and shares.

Robb has forgotten more than most of us will ever learn about the last 60 years' history of music.

Back on theme: Remember when you could tell a kid's mom that he was acting up and she'd thank you for it instead of threaten to go home and get her gun?

Hey jerry,i've been down that road,today's parents don't wanna hear nothing negative about thier little[angels]......remember when every mom had one of those black iron frying pans and the great fried foods that came from em?

......remember when every mom had one of those black iron frying pans and the great fried foods that came from em?
    And they didn't use that nasty canola oil, either! They used that little can of bacon fat they kept on the stove.

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    And they didn't use that nasty canola oil, either! They used that little can of bacon fat they kept on the stove.
    My mom still has hers! That thing is indestructable! It has to be over 50 years old.

That is so funny what you said about the little can of bacon fat on the stove. My grandma Rosie use to do that. LOL!!!

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa..my dear wife has a can on top of the stove too...god bless em all!!!

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa..my dear wife has a can on top of the stove too...god bless em all!!!
    Definitely. Those women are the salt of the Earth!

Remember when[computers]were those big bulky things in science fiction movies?

Remember when[computers]were those big bulky things in science fiction movies?
Views: 571
    Remember when there were no computers [[except The Enigma Machine, and people didn't have TVs in their houses, and they listened to radio dramas and comedies?

Yes, I remember those old black frying pans. They were great for hitting burglars on the head. We didn't use bacon fat. We used schmaltz. I remember when people didn't have clothes dryers and garbage disposals. And we burned trash in an incinerator and shoveled coal into a furnace [[I used to do that).

I remember my grandmother hanging clothes on the clothes line to dry. Her sheets were soft and used to smell so good when I stayed with her. I also remember the wringer she used to get most of the water out before hanging them.

I remember my grandmother hanging clothes on the clothes line to dry. Her sheets were soft and used to smell so good when I stayed with her. I also remember the wringer she used to get most of the water out before hanging them.

We used a modern washer, of course, but, there's nothing like clothes dried on the line in the sun blowing in the breeze. Achoooooo!

We used a modern washer, of course, but, there's nothing like clothes dried on the line in the sun blowing in the breeze. Achoooooo!
    I can remember us running through the billowing sheets playing hide and seek at one point as children.

Yep Jerry, this one is similar to the one Grandma Willa Mae had. LOL!

Attachment 10482

Hey jerry i thing that[greasy grady]still uses on of those to make[lasania]hehehehe!!

Views: 582
    Both my grandmothers grew up in the 1880s and 1890s, when there were no airplanes, nor even autos. They each drove a horse and wagon, for work, one for deliveries for her father's butcher shop in Den Haag, in The Netherlands, and the other for her father's grocery store in Haarlem, in The Netherlands. From 1972 through 2007, I lived in my great grandfather's house [[where my grandfather grew up), in Den Haag [[The Hague). The house was built in 1882. It had a courtyard behind, and behind that was a row of horse stables, where car garages stand in more modern situations in North America. The house has a large wood cabinet, lined with metal, and has a heavy metal door, with a latch handle. resembling a safe door. This was an ice box, used before refrigerators were widespread. The ice man used to come in his ice wagon, and carry a big block of ice up the stairs and plop it into the box, and people then put their perishable food next to it. The house had retrofitted electricity, new, better piping, and a retrofitted garbage disposal. We had a washing machine, but no dryer. I still hung my wash on the line, and still do today, at my homes in The Netherlands, Denmark and Germany. I DO use dryers when I'm staying in Winnipeg, Chicago or L.A. I use bicycles only in Europe. I do still have a car in L.A., and use my sister's car in Manitoba [[but don't enjoy driving cars).

Views: 582
    Both my grandmothers grew up in the 1880s and 1890s, when there were no airplanes, nor even autos. They each drove a horse and wagon, for work, one for deliveries for her father's butcher shop in Den Haag, in The Netherlands, and the other for her father's grocery store in Haarlem, in The Netherlands. From 1972 through 2007, I lived in my great grandfather's house [[where my grandfather grew up), in Den Haag [[The Hague). The house was built in 1882. It had a courtyard behind, and behind that was a row of horse stables, where car garages stand in more modern situations in North America. The house has a large wood cabinet, lined with metal, and has a heavy metal door, with a latch handle. resembling a safe door. This was an ice box, used before refrigerators were widespread. The ice man used to come in his ice wagon, and carry a big block of ice up the stairs and plop it into the box, and people then put their perishable food next to it. The house had retrofitted electricity, new, better piping, and a retrofitted garbage disposal. We had a washing machine, but no dryer. I still hung my wash on the line, and still do today, at my homes in The Netherlands, Denmark and Germany. I DO use dryers when I'm staying in Winnipeg, Chicago or L.A. I use bicycles only in Europe. I do still have a car in L.A., and use my sister's car in Manitoba [[but don't enjoy driving cars).
    I thought when you write Den Hagg is actually supposed to be s-Gravenhage.

Quote Originally Posted by MotownSteve View Post
    I thought when you write Den Hagg is actually supposed to be s-Gravenhage.
Views: 477
    " 's Gravenhage " is the OFFICIAL title of the city, which contains The government offices and Parliament of The Netherlands, and is called "The Hague" in English language. But the common name for that city, to Netherlanders [[Nederlanders) is "Den Haag [[whether in speech OR in writing).

It is the same with Den Bosch. The official name is "Hertogenbosch". But people refer to it as Den Bosch.

's Gravenhage refers to "The Count's hedge". Graaf means "Count" in Dutch. In the early 13th Century, The Count of Holland was the Governor of North and South Holland under The Dukes of Burgundy. Originally, Den Haag was built to serve as a country home for The Count, with a "haga" [[ "hedge" in English) that was an enclosed hunting area for The Count's recreation.
    Last edited by robb_k; 10-28-2015 at 09:16 PM.

Hah! Remember playing tag, hide-and-go-seek, and Mother May I? In the summer, we'd lock the games until midnight. We'd pick the first player up by playing "one potato, two potato".

Hah! Remember playing tag, hide-and-go-seek, and Mother May I? In the summer, we'd lock the games until midnight. We'd pick the first player up by playing "one potato, two potato".
    All of those plus "Red, light, green light, Go", "I Spy" and "Freeze tag" Jerry did you grow up in Ohio? Then some of these should be remembered by you. All kids needed was a bit of freedom and their imaginations and we came up with some of the most fun and FREE games ever.

My Grandma's sister, Aunt Pete use to make us homemade ice cream with one of these:

Attachment 10483

Yep, right here in Columbus. When I got to junior high, we came up with things like pencil plucking [[where we'd smack the back of each other's hands or knuckles with a pencil one at a time until it hurt too bad to continue). We also did he same thing by plucking hands with our fingers. We also played paper football, penny hockey, and quarter basketball at lunch time and during study hall.

In Columbus, we also played a horrible game called "bebogies". In bebogies, any player who used a word starting with letter B was subject to being punched in the back and chest until he realized what was going on and said The name of the game. It was brutal and suffice it to say, painful. But it was fun to play.

Yep, right here in Columbus. When I got to junior high, we came up with things like pencil plucking [[where we'd smack the back of each other's hands or knuckles with a pencil one at a time until it hurt too bad to continue). We also did he same thing by plucking hands with our fingers. We also played paper football, penny hockey, and quarter basketball at lunch time and during study hall.

In Columbus, we also played a horrible game called "bebogies". In bebogies, any player who used a word starting with letter B was subject to being punched in the back and chest until he realized what was going on and said The name of the game. It was brutal and suffice it to say, painful. But it was fun to play.
    We use to play the card game "Knuckles" where you thump the losers knuckles with the full deck as hard as possible to they were red and if you were really brutal, until you drew blood. LOL! Yeah guys played similar games as us in Detroit and Toledo.
    What about eraser tag when the teacher left the room for a moment?

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    We use to play the card game "Knuckles" where you thump the losers knuckles with the full deck as hard as possible to they were red and if you were really brutal, until you drew blood. LOL! Yeah guys played similar games as us in Detroit and Toledo.
    What about eraser tag when the teacher left the room for a moment?
Views: 569
    Ha! Ha! I bet they didn't play "Knuckles" in Catholic Schools! Their knuckles were already bloody from nuns hitting them on the knuckles with rulers!

We didn't play "knuckles". Although many of the tough Ukes had a brass set for gang fights after school.

We didn't play eraser tag. We just threw them at each other. But, if the teacher was careless enough to walk out of the room to speak to another adult while class was in session, we took the opportunity to put thumbtacks on his or her chair, sticking upward. Or, if we knew it would take 2-3 minutes, one of us would stand on a chair or table, and turn the clock ahead one hour. We ALMOST got to leave early one day, but the teacher figured out it was NOT dismissal time.

But we played "Flinch". One kid would swing a fist at another, and if he flinched, he would get hit hard in the shoulder 2 times. It accelerated to 3 hits before I entered high school, where we were too grown-up and sophisticated for that sort of little kids' game.

Views: 569
    Ha! Ha! I bet they didn't play "Knuckles" in Catholic Schools! Their knuckles were already bloody from nuns hitting them on the knuckles with rulers!

We didn't play "knuckles". Although many of the tough Ukes had a brass set for gang fights after school.

We didn't play eraser tag. We just threw them at each other. But, if the teacher was careless enough to walk out of the room to speak to another adult while class was in session, we took the opportunity to put thumbtacks on his or her chair, sticking upward. Or, if we knew it would take 2-3 minutes, one of us would stand on a chair or table, and turn the clock ahead one hour. We ALMOST got to leave early one day, but the teacher figured out it was NOT dismissal time.

But we played "Flinch". One kid would swing a fist at another, and if he flinched, he would get hit hard in the shoulder 2 times. It accelerated to 3 hits before I entered high school, where we were too grown-up and sophisticated for that sort of little kids' game.
    Oh we had eraser fights, food fights in the cafeteria in high school. I don't know if I can mention all of the "devilment" we got into on this here forum , but trust me we had our share fun in bounds and out of bounds LOL!!!