[REMOVE ADS]

Thread: Remember when?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I love Anne Murray and there has been some country music throughout the years that I really liked a lot. Overall I am not a fan of Country,
    I like a few of her hits, but I am more of a Gordon Lightfoot fan.

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 1133
Size:  21.1 KB
    To me, Anne Murray is more of a Pop singer than a "C&W" singer, and Gordon Lightfoot is a Folk singer more than a "C&W" singer. I can't stand Buck Owens, Merle Haggard and the like. I like some of Johnny Cash and Roy Clark's songs, and not others. I like Flat & Scruggs, The Stanley Brothers and a lot of Blue Grass. But I absolutely hate most of the commercial C&W from the 1960s to now.

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
    To me, Anne Murray is more of a Pop singer than a "C&W" singer, and Gordon Lightfoot is a Folk singer more than a "C&W" singer.
    I I agree. In fact, I don't even classify Gordon Lightfoot as anything close to country.

I can't stand Buck Owens, Merle Haggard and the like. I like some of Johnny Cash and Roy Clark's songs, and not others. I like Flat & Scruggs, The Stanley Brothers and a lot of Blue Grass. But I absolutely hate most of the commercial C&W from the 1960s to now.
    I like country up to about the mid-70s when it just got silly, with titles that were three miles long, about drinking, novelty songs, and the like. It was a time when the obnoxious rednecks came out of hiding. I could stand it a little better towards the end of the 70s, the stuff that went pop, but now it's either bad pop for young women, or overwrought patriotic crap. There's even "hick-hop", that means mixing country with rap.

Love Gordon Lightfoot's music big time here! Since we are speaking of Canadian artists, the Guess Who's greatest hits were on CD in my car all the time.

Love Gordon Lightfoot's music big time here! Since we are speaking of Canadian artists, the Guess Who's greatest hits were on CD in my car all the time.
    I like a few of The Guess Who's hits, but was always a more of a fan of Bachman-Turner Overdrive during their big years from 1973-1975. You know Randy Bachman was a member of both.

I like a few of The Guess Who's hits, but was always a more of a fan of Bachman-Turner Overdrive during their big years from 1973-1975. You know Randy Bachman was a member of both.
    Well then you know that The Guess Who gave birth to BTO! LOL! I don't even think they put a lot of thought into what they were doing. They were just kicking out the jams in the seventies and we were rockin' along with them.

Love Gordon Lightfoot's music big time here! Since we are speaking of Canadian artists, The Guess Who's greatest hits were on CD in my car all the time.
Views: 1241
    Ha! Ha! -THEY'RE the reason I left Winnipeg and moved to Chicago!!!

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
Views: 1241
    Ha! Ha! -THEY'RE the reason I left Winnipeg and moved to Chicago!!!
    Wait! What do you mean? You don't like your homeboy Burton Cummings? HA! That's treason! LOL! He is one of the all time GREATS! Definitely the best that ever came out of Winnipeg. Come on Robb!

Wait! What do you mean? You don't like your homeboy Burton Cummings? HA! That's treason! LOL! He is one of the all time GREATS! Definitely the best that ever came out of Winnipeg. Come on Robb!
    I preferred the soulful voice of David Clatyon-Thomas from Blood Sweat & Tears, another Canadian.

I preferred the soulful voice of David Clatyon-Thomas from Blood Sweat & Tears, another Canadian.
    Oh if we are talking about soulful voices, then you have to mention Gino Vannelli